Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:11:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Inception 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Inception  (Read 50203 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: August 01, 2010, 10:55:10 AM

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: August 01, 2010, 04:24:45 PM

Okay sure... and it's nice that, unlike M. Night Shyamalan (or Orson Welles), Quentin Tarantino never cast himself in roles that demanded any more acting ability or charm than he could personally deliver. It's even nicer when he doesn't cast himself at all.

Purposeful bad filmmaking does not excuse bad filmmaking any more than purposeful poor writing excuses poor writing. There is no artistic reason not to satisfy the audience by implying danger, especially if there's an artistic reason for that danger to prove unreal. That the film's action scenes rarely surpass 'silly', and that they last long enough to inspire tedium, is a bug not a feature.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: August 01, 2010, 06:09:11 PM

I cannot help thee with that
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: August 01, 2010, 08:58:13 PM

Look, if the action scenes were like your typical action flick, it'd break the movie.  THAT would be bad filmmaking. 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: August 01, 2010, 10:16:49 PM

They didn't have to be typical... they just had to be fun to watch, like the gravity fight. The rest seemed perfunctory.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: August 02, 2010, 08:39:15 AM

And that's exactly the way it'd happen in your mind.  "Perfunctory."  Repetitious.  Bland.  Over and over.  Even when "exciting" the moves will seem practiced and calculated or totally mishmashed; exactly why Arthur looked at times like an Agent and other times like a flailing fool.  Also why most of the projections were like automatons with sporadic moments of greatness.

The dreamspace rarely produces some John Woo movie in your mind.  That's not the way it works.  What YOU want is for the human subconscious to "on-the-fly" develop a fully fleshed out high-action sequence in perfect detail.  Yah, good luck with that.  Not gonna happen.

So, now that we've established the Rules... go back and watch the movie again and rethink your stance on the filmmaking quality.  The movie was fuckin ingeniously produced and directed for the exact reason that they lived within the rules of the mind the entire time while telling a great story.  And I'd say it's a lot more difficult choreographing flawed, yet believable sequences rather than just going for perfect action.

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: August 02, 2010, 09:00:47 AM

The way the dreamers always acted in the action scenes seemed a bit weird (not bad weird). They were very good at times, and my interpretation was that it was either it being a dream, or the way they visualise their actions in a dream. Something along those lines.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: August 02, 2010, 10:04:00 AM

words

Even if the bland, repetitive action is a purposeful style (and I think you are being way too generous in that assessment, but whatever), it's still bland, repetitive action and it's not entertaining. Sure the zero-G fight was visually interesting, but that's as far as it went. It had the same core problem as the rest of the dream action - zero emotional investment in the outcome. First the fact that our crew is fighting ghosts takes away a lot of potential drama right there - there is no real antagonist. Secondly, why am I even rooting for the "heroes"? Why do I care what this businessman does with his company? Oh because I'm supposed to believe that this job is the only way Cobb can be with his kids again. Because he would somehow automatically be convicted of killing his wife if they ever tried him for it. Why am I supposed to care about Cobb and his kids? I never saw them together, never had the chance for any kind of emotional investment in that relationship. And I'm supposed to care about these people's welfare in the dream because they might drop into a "limbo" and be mentally stuck for years? I almost laughed when that came up, like, thirty seconds of expository dialogue to tell me I should care.

This movie is like an intricate, shiny machine that was built with care but has no actual function. I guess a certain kind of person just likes to watch the gears turn.

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: August 02, 2010, 12:25:02 PM

I think a lot of the blame for the action scene weirdness/blandness can be placed on the music.   I LIKE the soundtrack, but it was cranked way up in the mix and was sort of always thudding/droning away there instead of your typical action movie stuff.

Except the city chase in Mombasa - that had your normal movie music, and it seemed more exciting to me!

Anyway, if you doubt the music has such a big effect, imagine the Benny Hill Yakety Sax playing over the whole thing, and then think again.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: August 02, 2010, 12:32:09 PM

I think a lot of the blame for the action scene weirdness/blandness can be placed on the music.   I LIKE the soundtrack, but it was cranked way up in the mix and was sort of always thudding/droning away there instead of your typical action movie stuff.

Yeah, the music became almost comically overblown at times, it was really distracting.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: August 02, 2010, 02:13:33 PM

words

Even if the bland, repetitive action is a purposeful style (and I think you are being way too generous in that assessment, but whatever), it's still bland, repetitive action and it's not entertaining. Sure the zero-G fight was visually interesting, but that's as far as it went. It had the same core problem as the rest of the dream action - zero emotional investment in the outcome. First the fact that our crew is fighting ghosts takes away a lot of potential drama right there - there is no real antagonist. Secondly, why am I even rooting for the "heroes"? Why do I care what this businessman does with his company? Oh because I'm supposed to believe that this job is the only way Cobb can be with his kids again. Because he would somehow automatically be convicted of killing his wife if they ever tried him for it. Why am I supposed to care about Cobb and his kids? I never saw them together, never had the chance for any kind of emotional investment in that relationship. And I'm supposed to care about these people's welfare in the dream because they might drop into a "limbo" and be mentally stuck for years? I almost laughed when that came up, like, thirty seconds of expository dialogue to tell me I should care.

This movie is like an intricate, shiny machine that was built with care but has no actual function. I guess a certain kind of person just likes to watch the gears turn.

I have (unconsciously) gone through phases in how I approached going to the movies.

0-18) Almost a complete lack disbelief, complete willingness to buy into whatever the movie wishes me to believe, strong desire to be engaged and immersed into the film.  Can watch nearly complete shit and find it entertaining.  The golden age of my movie-going experience, now that I think about it.
19-39) Small suspension of disbelief.  Increasing degree of smug discontent with film's lack of ability to draw me in.  Spend a significant amount of mental energy in trying to figure out where the plot twist was going to occur so as to prove to myself that I was smarter than the screen writer.  Can watch decent film and walk away feeling disappointed. The nadir of my movie going experience.

Eventually I asked myself, "are movies significantly worse then they were when I was young?".  The answer was, "no, actually they are quite a bit better, overall".  So then I asked myself, "Why am I wasting money trying to ruin my movie experience?"  Either I need to stop going to movies, or stop being so critical of movies - because I'm not being paid to be critical of movies, I'm paying to enjoy them.

40 till present) Concentrated suspension of disbelief.  Concentrated effort to not over-analyze plot, dialog, scene or acting ability.  A movie has crappy physics?  Let. it. go.

So, yeah, everything that you critique this movie about has validity.  If I had been trying to, I probably would have had a very similar experience to yours while watching this movie.  Instead, I feel like I got my moneys worth.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: August 02, 2010, 05:00:52 PM

Well said.   Inception was a good movie.  If some folks want to seek some deeper meaning then good for them.  Personally I don't find it all that compelling.

Now if his kids had turned around and they had Twilight Zone pig faces and the movie ends with him screaming in horror, then THAT would have rocked!

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: August 02, 2010, 06:00:28 PM

And that's exactly the way it'd happen in your mind.  "Perfunctory."  Repetitious.  Bland.  Over and over.
That's what I meant with my Quentin Tarantino comment: Rather than casting yourself in a paper-thin role anybody could perform, why not write a better role for a better actor? Rather than having long, repetitious, bland fight scenes over and over, why not cut most of them? They don't add tension, they don't demonstrate character traits, they don't establish the world any more capably than better scenes would. Even if the whole effect was purposeful, and like AcidCat I'm dubious, it's lousy film making to spend so much of the screen time on the film's least interesting aspect.

I loved Inception, but it's painfully imperfect.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: August 02, 2010, 07:20:49 PM

Welp, now you want them to cut scenes or shorten them to aid in the flow of action?  How would this exactly be possible when the story is written in a strict timeline?  TIME is a major character in this movie, so fucking with it to satisfy people's attention spans isnt smart imo.  Unlike you, I appreciated the reasoning behind the "droning" music and action sequences, because I understood their purpose.  Had they cut it up, it would've fallen apart... on multiple levels (3+ of them actually).

Painful imperfection is more perfect.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: August 03, 2010, 01:01:16 AM

Shut up.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: August 03, 2010, 07:14:25 AM

40 till present) Concentrated suspension of disbelief.  Concentrated effort to not over-analyze plot, dialog, scene or acting ability.  A movie has crappy physics?  Let. it. go.

So, yeah, everything that you critique this movie about has validity.  If I had been trying to, I probably would have had a very similar experience to yours while watching this movie.  Instead, I feel like I got my moneys worth.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I understand exactly what you're saying, and I agree, I also generally am able to suspend disbelief and just enjoy a movie on its own terms. Sometimes however I just can't, something just doesn't work on a fundamental level and I can't really force myself to enjoy it, it's like that magic just doesn't happen. *shrug*
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: August 03, 2010, 08:57:21 AM

So, I've been gone a few days and have actually seen the movie twice more.

Both times with people who were seeing it for the first time. Both people loved it and both said they liked the tension.

On that topic, I wuld have to disagree with the assertion that Nolan doesn't do tension very well. You can't say "hey, here's all this tension" and then say "he doesn't do tension", first off.

beer geek.
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: August 03, 2010, 11:19:04 PM

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #158 on: August 04, 2010, 09:34:43 AM

Heh:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 09:37:05 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: August 07, 2010, 10:04:13 PM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #160 on: August 11, 2010, 04:24:15 PM

Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: August 11, 2010, 10:52:44 PM

Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: August 11, 2010, 11:17:45 PM

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: August 12, 2010, 01:56:13 AM

Facepalm

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #164 on: August 12, 2010, 09:15:39 AM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #165 on: August 12, 2010, 10:20:19 AM

Wait...yeah...WTF!?
He didn't just want to "see his kids again" though.  He wants to live with them like a family again, and he couldn't until his name was cleared.  He couldn't settle down to live with his family in France since the cops would get him.  The only places where he could hang out for any significant amount of time are probably places you don't want to bring your kids to.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: August 12, 2010, 10:46:11 AM

Thats true, and I still have to laugh when I see his face in the third picture.  awesome, for real

I blame Fry

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: August 12, 2010, 11:04:37 AM

I don't know how the US works, but I assume the grandmother has protective custody and might not want them to visit him?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #168 on: August 12, 2010, 11:42:05 AM

Granny did seem pissed.

Also, extradition from France is a nightmare, per Mr. Cobb.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: August 24, 2010, 08:06:03 AM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #170 on: August 30, 2010, 01:03:29 PM

Saw it this weekend, finally. One of the best movies I've ever seen. I think I mostly agree with the Chud.com guy - the whole goddamn thing was a dream. Leo either created all of it, including all the members of the team, as a way to finally deal with his grief and move on, or there really are extractors out there and in this case they were trying to extract his metaphysical ass out of the dream state he's in. There was no reality in the whole thing.

Chris Nolan may have displaced Fellini as my favorite director of all time.

birdsguts
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: August 31, 2010, 01:33:00 AM

Chris Nolan may have displaced Fellini as my favorite director of all time.

I'll drink to that. *drinks*
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: August 31, 2010, 07:42:50 AM

I need more Inception parody pictures like Chris Walken needs cowbell.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: August 31, 2010, 08:03:28 AM

My 2c is that Mal never existed, Leo created her during his time in limbo to deal with decades of solitude. Mal, the kids it's all fantasy and he can't let them go so some of his friends, possibly only michael cane, go inside his head to fix him.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: August 31, 2010, 02:15:35 PM

There was no reality in the whole thing.

Yup, my take too. The most dreamlike action appeared to happen in the "real world" sequences.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Inception  
Jump to: