Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:10:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 96 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  (Read 853791 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #455 on: December 03, 2010, 02:32:18 PM

Newegg's out of the Noctua fans in the review linked. They do have another type, the NF-P12-1300. I suspect they are just as good, but I thought I'd ask here, since I too am considering replacing two of my 120mm.
I use the 1300s but I'm not sure exactly how they compare with the 1200s.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #456 on: December 03, 2010, 03:07:38 PM

Did some research since my last post.

I have heard Noctua are good, but the color puts me off.

The Scythe GentileTyphoon are very high rated, and also the Noiseblocker Multiframes. Seems like all those are out of stock on Newegg.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: December 03, 2010, 08:43:02 PM

You have to keep an eye out on the GTs.  They seem to sell out quick.  I'm happy with them.  As I said, when using them with the H50 in the push/pull, with an ambient of about 23-24c, they keep me at about 31-33c on idle and 55-65c using Prime95.  I'm veeeery tempted to run a duct from the top front case fan direct to the p/p to bypass the ambient heat from the mobo/GPUs - just to see what kind of difference, if any, it would make.  I mounted my DVD at the very bottom and shifted the front case fans all the way up so it's basically a straight line of air from the top front 120mm to the H50 fans/reservoir.

I'm tempted to yank the DVD out completely and just use an external DVD drive when I need it.  I never use it, and it's two less cables to run/hide.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #458 on: December 03, 2010, 09:18:09 PM

I use the scythe s-flex fans, and have been quite happy with them for years.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #459 on: December 04, 2010, 02:14:35 PM

I did my new build last night and I was wondering if my CPU temps are a bit high, and if so what should I do.

My apartment is pretty much always 22c (72f).

Current system:

Case Antec 902
i7 950
Asus Sabertooth x58
H50
12bg Corsair XMS3
EVGA GTX 460 768mb
Corsair HX 850

I currently have the 2 front fans intaking, my bit top fan exhausting.

I have the H50 set up intaking from the back in a push setup.

My CPU is idling at 39-40c and while running Prime95 its 65-66c. That seems a bit high for only stock speeds. I wanted to OC, but I dont feel like with the current temps that would be a great idea.

The pump is running at 1300rpm and the Corsair fan is running at 1600rpm.

Other system temps:
Motherboard 34c
Northbridge: 56c

Any advice?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #460 on: December 04, 2010, 02:54:55 PM

That seems high, but the paste that comes stock with the H50 takes a good week or more to 'cure'.  If you're overly concerned, switch the H50 fan to exhaust and see what happens.  The Corsair way of doing it makes me think there's a buffeting effect that doesnt allow the good clean air to get away from the reservoir.  My best results have always been setting the reservoir fan to exhaust, regardless if I use two fans in a push/pull or if I use one fan as exhaust.  There's tons of people posting the same results (better as exhaust).

With the H50 as an intake and the two fronts as intake, you're pushing alot of air against each other, regardless of the top fan exhausting the air out.  In my head, I see a swirling, buffeting effect that the top fan can't keep up with.  I tried my two front fans as exhaust (and I even think the H50 recommends switching the front(s) to exhaust), but didn't like the idea of hot air being pushed into the case and moving about the rest of the components.

e:  In messing about with different configurations (and a ton of research), I found that with the 900 2, the best way to set it up was push/pull, moving the DVD to the very bottom mount and moving the fans all the way up.  It makes the DVD a little tougher to get to, but on the other hand consider how often you actually use it.  When you DO use it putting it on the bottom moves the drive noise away from you (when it's spun up, anyway).  However, it gives you a perfect straight line path of good clean cool air from the top front intake fan perfectly straight to your H50 fan(s) and reservoir.  It also puts your bottom fan in a good line with your graphics card.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 03:04:23 PM by SnakeCharmer »
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #461 on: December 04, 2010, 04:33:05 PM

Think I should reseat the contact with Arctic Silver?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: December 04, 2010, 05:44:57 PM

I wouldn't think so, unless you had a fair amount of contacted twisting and movement when you got it lined up with the retainer and wrenched it down.  The stuff they use on the H50 has some premium stuff on it (Shin Etsu).  Give it a week, or even a month, before deciding unless your temps get out of control.

e:  I just thought of something...When in your bios, the fans are showing 100% speed, yeah?  IIRC, when in bios or on startup/POST, your fans automatically spool up to their max speed, but when you get to desktop, they slow down.  Make sure your default fan speed in bios is max/100%.  If it's not, your fan and pump may be operating slower than they should.  And because your system doesn't recognize it as being too hot, they're only doing what they need to be doing.  The H50 needs your fan and your pump operating at a constant 100 percent speed, regardless if it's idle or underload.  And that MIGHT be why your idle temp is so high (but doesn't really explain why your load temp is pretty much the same as mine).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 06:14:54 PM by SnakeCharmer »
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #463 on: December 04, 2010, 08:36:20 PM

I looked all over my BIOS, and didnt see any options for adjusting the fan speed.

When I first installed the pump over the CPU, I didnt quite get it to lock in the ring clamp thing. So I had to loosen it, and twist it slightly left and right. Do you think this could mess up the thermal paste?

Also, I dont think if I change the fan direction its going to make much of a difference. If I remove the side on my case, it doesnt help the temp. I am going to try and change to exhaust, but im not sure if I have the right screws with me right now.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: December 04, 2010, 08:51:48 PM

Which BIOS is it?  If it's American Megatrends, it's located under H/W Monitor.  Alternatively, download speedfan and see what RPM your fans are spinning at.

I don't think you messed up the paste, but it's possible.  Give it a week and see what happens.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #465 on: December 04, 2010, 09:40:33 PM

So I tried to change the setup to exhaust, and realized the radiator is just a tad to big to fit flush up against the case. The next thing I tried was totally moving the rad and fan outside the case, temps stayed exactly the same, so I dont think with the single fan using intake or exhaust is going to make a difference.

The BIOS is a custom one for the Asus Sabertooth. I did find fan options in under hardware monitor, but it was to show the current speed or ignore it. I do have a fan monitor, and it is showing the fan running at 1600 to 1650rpm. The stats on the fan say it should run at 1700rpm.

Image below of my fan speeds and temp, and cpu-z under full load with Prime95.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #466 on: December 04, 2010, 09:52:50 PM

I'm really pleased with my build so far. I still think I could do a bit better on the cable management and fan speeds (Antec 300 M Illusions manual fan switches are kinda assy for setting to medium speeds).   

It's really nice to load a game and just play at the highest settings.  Granted, I haven't really tried pushing it yet.  Only loaded up Fallout: NV and WoW so far.  The required Oblivion testing (which was once Morrowind testing) will come soon enough.

Builded ended up being.

i5 760
MSI P55-GD65
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus 58
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply66137443
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL66079257 (N82E16820231314)
MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card66825035
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case66417858
1 TB WD Caviar Black from my old PC

Only component I'm not really happy with at the moment is the MB, and that's because it's not detecting the speed of my RAM correctly right now.  I think 1600 is only supported as an "OC" setting, but I haven't quite deciphered the BIOS yet on how to do that.

Assembly only took about 3 hours, mainly due to not being really sure on some aspects.   Windows 7 installation was painless.  Yay.

-Rasix
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #467 on: December 04, 2010, 09:57:10 PM

Weird, man.  I guess it's possible you got a bad H50 because your temps shouldn't be anywhere near that high (even taking the TIM curing into consideration - at most you're looking at 5c difference).  Here's my i5-750 at full load with P95.

Put the stock cooler on it and see what happens?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:03:21 PM by SnakeCharmer »
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #468 on: December 05, 2010, 10:25:15 AM

Only component I'm not really happy with at the moment is the MB, and that's because it's not detecting the speed of my RAM correctly right now.  I think 1600 is only supported as an "OC" setting, but I haven't quite deciphered the BIOS yet on how to do that.

Assembly only took about 3 hours, mainly due to not being really sure on some aspects.   Windows 7 installation was painless.  Yay.

Ras, to get any of the new motherboards to see your RAM any higher than 1066 you need to enable XMP in the BIOS. Its like a semi-OC setting. But really its more like one switch you flip.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #469 on: December 05, 2010, 10:27:15 AM

Weird, man.  I guess it's possible you got a bad H50 because your temps shouldn't be anywhere near that high (even taking the TIM curing into consideration - at most you're looking at 5c difference).  Here's my i5-750 at full load with P95.

Put the stock cooler on it and see what happens?

Just puttering around Windows with a few small things running I am noticing my temps are about 44 - 53. Some times those temps at the same time on different cores. Is a 9 degree difference on different cores at the same time normal?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: December 05, 2010, 10:32:12 AM

It's possible it's just the different BIOSes giving the different temperatures.  On the same motherboard mine went from a solid 34 C to averaging 39 C with only a BIOS update.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: December 05, 2010, 11:57:53 AM

Hoh boy, my computer decided to not post once today. After retrying once the computer turned on fine. Between this and the random crash dump screen I got yesterday, I think it's time to start looking at making a new i5 system... Or am I being paranoid?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #472 on: December 05, 2010, 01:19:45 PM

I'm actually considering doing THIS.
Is it me or is there a big dead space under the gpu? Shouldn't there be a fan in there, too? I'd think an ideal push/pull would have three tiers (on an Antec case): top for cpu zone, mid for gpu zone and the bottom channel where the psu sits.

The evga external exhaust design is annoyingly loud (I'm sure they cheaped on the fan), but one great thing is that it defeats that thermal hot spot in most cases. Case temps (and gpu) are way down compared to my more standardly-cooled old 8800gtx.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 01:23:08 PM by Sky »
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #473 on: December 05, 2010, 02:09:27 PM

Hoh boy, my computer decided to not post once today. After retrying once the computer turned on fine. Between this and the random crash dump screen I got yesterday, I think it's time to start looking at making a new i5 system... Or am I being paranoid?

Got a copy of the crash dump?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #474 on: December 05, 2010, 02:10:12 PM

That could be any number of things that don't require a whole new system.

Make sure everything looks seated correctly. Ram, video card, sound card (if you have one), etc.

Might be the ram. Run a Memtest86 test off the UBCD.

Might be the vid card (this one's unlikely) since unless they are seriously horked, they do let you get past POST.

Might be the power supply. Is your PSU a hold over from another system? Do you have another PSU you can use to check it out? Most folks don't, but some of us nerds have 2 spare lying about from prior builds laying in a closet somewhere.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: December 05, 2010, 02:19:42 PM

Make sure everything looks seated correctly. Ram, video card, sound card (if you have one), etc.

I don't tinker inside my system at all; so everything is seated fine.

Might be the ram. Run a Memtest86 test off the UBCD.

Good idea, actually.

Might be the power supply. Is your PSU a hold over from another system? Do you have another PSU you can use to check it out? Most folks don't, but some of us nerds have 2 spare lying about from prior builds laying in a closet somewhere.

It's a newer PSU; originally the system had a hold over; but a new graphics card forced me to get a new PSU.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: December 05, 2010, 05:17:48 PM

Negative.  Heat and electrical current cause oxidization and galvanic action, reseating failing cards and memory modules may scrape off any metal oxides.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 05:21:02 PM by Sheepherder »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #477 on: December 06, 2010, 08:21:55 AM

Only component I'm not really happy with at the moment is the MB, and that's because it's not detecting the speed of my RAM correctly right now.  I think 1600 is only supported as an "OC" setting, but I haven't quite deciphered the BIOS yet on how to do that.

Assembly only took about 3 hours, mainly due to not being really sure on some aspects.   Windows 7 installation was painless.  Yay.

Ras, to get any of the new motherboards to see your RAM any higher than 1066 you need to enable XMP in the BIOS. Its like a semi-OC setting. But really its more like one switch you flip.

Thanks! That did the trick.

Interesting fact:  the automatic fan control on my card didn't work until I actually hit "user define" in the MSI afterburner software and just saved the defaults.   awesome, for real

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 08:31:02 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #478 on: December 06, 2010, 09:44:17 AM

So, I returned my H50, as I noticed I could hear a lot of water noise in the pipes which people said is not good. I picked up another one. I cleaned the CPU top really well, and seated the new H50. I also added another fan to it, so its now in a push/pull setup exhausting.

I have just about identical temps as I did with my first unit. Idle at 40c, load at 66c. I am getting very frustrated with this thing. I know my temps should be much lower than this.

It doesnt seem to matter what fan setup I have, or what speed they are on. Still pushing pretty much the exact same temps. Anyone else have any ideas?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: December 06, 2010, 09:51:01 AM

I have no idea what to say other than to put your stock cooler on it and see what happens.  If after swapping out the h50 and putting the stock cooler on it, and you still have too high of temps?  Something else is wrong.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: December 06, 2010, 10:38:01 AM

Did you use a thermal compound when mounting the cooler to the CPU?

Edit- NM posting from phone, didn't scroll up enough to see your arctic silver comment.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:41:54 AM by Salamok »
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: December 06, 2010, 11:15:51 AM

Negative.  Heat and electrical current cause oxidization and galvanic action, reseating failing cards and memory modules may scrape off any metal oxides.

...Magic, got it.

Thanks, that's actually really good to know. The computer hasnt acted up since, but I'll take a look inside just in case.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #482 on: December 06, 2010, 11:23:01 AM

I'm beginning to wonder if my CPU just runs really hot.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #483 on: December 06, 2010, 12:15:55 PM

SnakeCharmer, any tips on which version I should buy of the GentileTyphoon?

Scythe Link - There seems to be 5 models that go at different speeds. I was thinking maybe the 14.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: December 06, 2010, 12:56:39 PM

I use these, but I hear the Noctuas are a little better due to the higher static pressure.  They're also 3 times the price of the GTs.

Have you tried your stock CPU cooler?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #485 on: December 06, 2010, 01:32:00 PM

I use these, but I hear the Noctuas are a little better due to the higher static pressure.  They're also 3 times the price of the GTs.

Have you tried your stock CPU cooler?

Not yet, I'm going to try that when I get home tonight.

I was thinking of getting 4 of the GentileTyphoons, 2 for my case and 2 for the H50.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: December 06, 2010, 01:46:37 PM

Did a little bit of reading...There's this, this, this.

Temps sound completely normal.  It's just a hot chip.  You might could try putting the vcore to whatever it should be rather than auto and seeing what happens.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #487 on: December 06, 2010, 01:54:16 PM

Funny. I had already read all those. I realize its a pretty hot chip, and its going to run hotter than yours, but most of the stuff I read said that with the H50, I should be seeing idle temps in the high 20s to low 30s, and loads of mid 40s. Where as I am idling around 41c. Almost 20c hotter than ambient. I have a bunch of AS5 at home, so I am going to experiment when I get off work.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: December 06, 2010, 02:00:29 PM

It's good, but I don't think it's quite THAT good.  I love it mostly from an aesthetic point of view; it makes a clean case and it's quiet.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #489 on: December 06, 2010, 02:03:34 PM

Morfiend,

Did a quick google of i7 950 temperatures and there seems to be a lot of chatter about concerns their processor's temp is too high. However, I am starting to think your temps may be normal.

Some random post on the internets had this to say:

3.6 GHz at Vcore 1.200v 67-70 C on prime95
3.8 GHz at Vcore 1.225v 72-76 C on prime95

1.325v Vcore seems to be the lowest voltage I can set to keep my system stable for 4.0 GHz. I haven't run prime95 too long (maybe around 20 minutes max) because of the temperature issue

So, it looks like you're running at a Vcore of 1.208 and getting a temp of 66 C at 3.0 GHz. Compare it to the guy above at 3.6 at Vcore 1.200 and 67-70 C it seems plausible.

Edit: Ah, looks like you got it covered.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 96 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  
Jump to: