Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:16:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 96 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  (Read 853630 times)
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: September 01, 2010, 06:46:09 AM

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the parts for my new PC which should be arriving today:
Core:

Total: $3,044.60

This is definitely the most expensive computer I've ever built, and especially the highest relative performance. My last computer 4 years ago clocked in around $1400. Splurging on an SSD really didn't help the price. I know if I wait 3 more months I can get a cheaper/higher capacity SSD and god knows what other new shit, but I've been playing that waiting game for a year. 160gb isn't big enough for a system drive for me so I had to either skip the SSD or lay out for an expensive 200gb+ mofo. The SSD I decided on specifically because it's the only SATA3 to hit the market so far and Anandtech gave it a decent endorsement - "If you’re running Windows 7, have a 6Gbps controller and want a 256GB drive, go Crucial. If you’re running any other OS, are using RAID or can only afford a 128GB drive, go SandForce."

Some of the stuff I bought is definitely out beyond the price/performance sweet spot, but most of it isn't really. Some of it, especially the mouses and headset, are unnecessary creature comforts, but I wanted to go all out on a new computer for once now that I have a bit of spare money. With my computer using habits, some of the stuff that seems exorbitant probably won't be, like the RAM. I work as a freelance web developer and it is common for me to be mixing business and pleasure and it's faster for me to leave applications open than to open and close and reopen them (on this computer anyway, maybe not with the new rig/SSD). Having Photoshop in the background taking up a few gigs, development environment, three+ web browsers each with a dozen or more tabs, Eve open to check chat/market orders, and then TF2 windowed on top of all that and I expect I can do that 12gigs of RAM justice. I had 6gb before and it was at about the limit of fucking with my productivity, then a stick failed and I've been at 4gb. That has been very annoying, forcing me to close a lot of shit and greatly increasing the time it takes to switch tasks.

I'm really looking forward to trying out the headset. I've been using the Plantronics Audio 995 for the last year and a half and I've loved it. Sound/mic quality as good or better than any other $30-60 wired headset I've owned and it's actually lived longer than almost any wired headset I've owned funnily enough. The new Logitech one looks amazing and fixed every issue that I had with the Plantronics one, while providing significantly higher quality audio. You can use it while it charges via USB (Logitech one is not usable while charging, arggg). It has three configurable buttons on it which you can use for stuff like Ventrillo push to talk, so you can be on the shitter or in the kitchen talking on Vent (no I wouldn't actually use it in the bathroom).

As for the mouses, I got really used to using the Logitech VX Nano at my last job and the Anywhere Mouse is the supposed successor to it. I really like the small form factor, light weight, and free spinning mousewheel for general computer usage and web development. It's not really good for gaming though. Enter the Mamba which is one of the first wireless mice to have the dual wireless/wired mode so when I forget to charge it I'm not fucked. The mouse life difference between the two is kind of hilarious, giving you an idea of the difference in power requirements between the lasers. The Anywhere mouse should go for about 100 days on two AA batteries (the VX Nano went up to 150 days on two AAA's, ridiculous) whereas the Mamba will go for maybe 18 hours on a full charge.

I await both the FedEx and UPS delivery trucks, as my order was sourced from 5 separate distribution facilities and was annoyingly shipped using both of them.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:48:06 AM by Trouble »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #246 on: September 01, 2010, 07:45:45 AM

Why don;'t you just have a workstation and game box, control with kvm?
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: September 01, 2010, 08:24:59 AM

Why don;'t you just have a workstation and game box, control with kvm?

Well there's a lot of overlap between the two since my work also makes use of a lot of RAM and Photoshop utilizes a GPU. I wouldn't just be able to cut out of most everything for a barebones workstation. I'd still have to load it with 6gb of RAM and a $100+ graphics card. The only thing I'd have chosen to slim down on my gaming box would be the RAM if I wasn't using it for work.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #248 on: September 01, 2010, 09:32:21 AM

Have you seen if the SATA III SSD will run well with the 3rd party chipset on your motherboard? I've read somewhere (can't remember where, anand, twit, somewhere) that the 3rd party controllers for SATAIII aren't really all that for speed.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: September 01, 2010, 06:42:50 PM

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the parts for my new PC which should be arriving today:

I find 'one step down from most expensive' is by far better strategy than bleeding edge you went for. Cost per benefit hits really hard diminishing returns near the very top. Paying 3G for PC these days is excessive, and that comes from "money not an issue" dude.

Your system is a good choice, but you severely overpaid on SSD, headset. mouse and mousepad ($35 pad, wtf, does it give out BJs?). Return these  and get 128G WD SSD that doesn't suffer from performance degradation with use for fraction of the cost, get 5$ pad, 99$ professional KOSS wired headphones and 50$ logitech gaming mouse.

Also don't throw good money on no-name screen, it will outlive all your other components so this is the last place you want to save. You want 120Hz for 3D or 2ms for gaming from major brand like Samsung/Vewsonic.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:52:14 PM by sinij »

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #250 on: September 02, 2010, 10:26:33 AM

I find 'one step down from most expensive' is by far better strategy than bleeding edge you went for. Cost per benefit hits really hard diminishing returns near the very top. Paying 3G for PC these days is excessive, and that comes from "money not an issue" dude.

Your system is a good choice, but you severely overpaid on SSD, headset. mouse and mousepad ($35 pad, wtf, does it give out BJs?). Return these  and get 128G WD SSD that doesn't suffer from performance degradation with use for fraction of the cost, get 5$ pad, 99$ professional KOSS wired headphones and 50$ logitech gaming mouse.

Also don't throw good money on no-name screen, it will outlive all your other components so this is the last place you want to save. You want 120Hz for 3D or 2ms for gaming from major brand like Samsung/Vewsonic.

I agree with all that except the headphone part. I have heard those headphones are amazing. I am actually considering picking up a pair for myself. One of the main reasons being I have a tiny desk and I am constantly getting tangled in my headphone cord.
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: September 02, 2010, 08:13:45 PM

I agree with all that except the headphone part. I have heard those headphones are amazing. I am actually considering picking up a pair for myself. One of the main reasons being I have a tiny desk and I am constantly getting tangled in my headphone cord.

SSD - A couple notes here. I'm not an expert on this stuff, but my understanding of how TRIM works and based on a read of the Anand article is that it won't be an issue for me given that I'm on Windows 7 and based on my usage pattern. The cost per gigabyte seems pretty much in line with the rest of the pack so I don't think it's overpriced on that metric. As for size, my old system drive was an old 160gb HDD and I often enough had to uninstall games and programs that, while I wasn't using them at the time, I knew I would be at some point in in the next couple months just to not fill up the drive. I've held off on getting an SSD system drive up to now because I knew I'd need one over 200gb or I'd just keep hitting the same issue. I know I paid out the ass for it, but I had basically vowed not to get a new computer unless the system drive was an SSD, and that SSD was over 200gb. I waited probably a year longer than I would have just so the prices came down from astronomical to "just" ridiculous. I almost put off the purchase to wait for Intel's third generation drives at the end of the year but I just couldn't take the performance issues anymore.

Headset - I will never go back to a wired headset and the choices for wireless are basically between the one I already had and the G930. It's just a personal bugaboo but I fucking hate the feeling of wires draping down from my head and I rejoiced the day I got the Plantronics Audio 995. I could have just not upgraded but I decided that if I was selling the farm I might as well go the extra mile. Having used it now for a couple days, I am definitely happy with my purchase.

Gaming Mouse - This is one of the lesser justified purchases for sure. It's a really fucking expensive mouse. It has a glowy base station though... In the past I just didn't have a gaming mouse. There are creature comforts that come with it, like having a wide range of laser DPI's to easily switch between, but the cost isn't really justified. Not sure what I'd get in it's place, the Anywhere Mouse really isn't suited to gaming. Probably just a regular wireless mouse in the $50-70 range like you said (dislike wires on mice too, I don't like wires on shit I need to move).

Mouse Pad - I decided to get it after trying out my roommate's older version. I would have thought the same without having tried it, but I really really like the feel of it.

Monitor - I kind of was looking at it as a hold-me-over purchase to move my old 1650x1050 monitor to secondary. Monitors seem to kind of be in flux now with the introduction of 120Hz/3D/etc. and I plan to buy two more monitors in the next 6-12 months once I have a better grasp on what I want to do. At that point this one can be relegated to second or third string.

I definitely went beyond my usual (and yours) bleeding edge minus a step or two. Not quite into crazy ass $1000 processor and dual $700 video card land, but going down that path.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:17:19 PM by Trouble »
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: September 02, 2010, 09:28:55 PM

Go Sennheiser or go home.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #253 on: September 03, 2010, 08:49:34 AM

Go Sennheiser or go home.

I just checked their site, I dont see any wireless headsets, only wireless headphones.
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: September 03, 2010, 10:25:31 AM

Wireless stereo headsets are a rare breed.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: September 03, 2010, 11:22:08 AM

Mouse Pad - I decided to get it after trying out my roommate's older version. I would have thought the same without having tried it, but I really really like the feel of it.

On this, I have to agree. I believe the older version you're talking about is the Razer Exactmat. I have one of them and it is awesome. I used to just use the basic shitty blue pads thinking anything larger would suck and not really be useful while the material didn't matter at all, I found I was wrong when I randomly bought the exactmat during a sale. I have a hard time gaming on regular mouse pads now, especially at the mouse sensitivity I'm using as a result of a "premium" mousepad.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #256 on: September 03, 2010, 01:57:52 PM

I know I paid out the ass for it, but I had basically vowed not to get a new computer unless the system drive was an SSD, and that SSD was over 200gb.

$600 for an SSD? 

shocked

I salute you sir, for thou art a true gamer.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: September 03, 2010, 04:43:07 PM

Yes, brave souls like him is why we can get technology much, much cheaper down the line...

Thank you sir, you are gentlemen and a scholar.

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: September 03, 2010, 05:24:02 PM

I'm curious as to the Mamba and whether it has a way to change the battery, a detail I have not been able to find on the website which makes me think it cannot be changed at all.  I ask because I currently have a Logitech MX Revolution, which I am quite fond of, but its battery life is growing ever shorter.  Early on I was able to use it for a couple days without recharging and these days it gives me a critical battery warning within a single day.  So when I do replace my mouse, I hope to replace it with one that I can change the battery on.

Of course, at least I could just run the mamba in wired mode permanently if it came to that.  I really don't see the point of a wireless mouse most of the time, and I would have gotten a wireless one of these if the features of the MX Revolution had been available on a wired mouse when I got it.  If I do replace it, I'm going to miss the freespin wheel.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: September 03, 2010, 11:51:31 PM

So when I do replace my mouse, I hope to replace it with one that I can change the battery on.

Soldering iron.

If it's getting replaced anyways you might as well wreck it beyond repair in the name of science.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: September 04, 2010, 12:28:49 AM

I'm curious as to the Mamba and whether it has a way to change the battery, a detail I have not been able to find on the website which makes me think it cannot be changed at all.  I ask because I currently have a Logitech MX Revolution, which I am quite fond of, but its battery life is growing ever shorter.  Early on I was able to use it for a couple days without recharging and these days it gives me a critical battery warning within a single day.  So when I do replace my mouse, I hope to replace it with one that I can change the battery on.

Of course, at least I could just run the mamba in wired mode permanently if it came to that.  I really don't see the point of a wireless mouse most of the time, and I would have gotten a wireless one of these if the features of the MX Revolution had been available on a wired mouse when I got it.  If I do replace it, I'm going to miss the freespin wheel.

You can easily change the battery on the mamba assuming you can find a replacement. 

IMHO (been using it for about a year) this mouse isn't worth $75 much less $130, then again I don't use the macro features and never go above 1800 DPI.  Occasionally In Photoshop it does come in handy to be able to slow the mouse down with a click of a button, but my new Logitech mouse does that too.  The scroll wheel squeaks like a real mouse (aka a cheap piece of plastic) and it has some serious friction to it so it is cumbersome to scroll large distances.  The glowy charging station was cool but my always on USB ports are on the front of my box and I hate plugging crap in there. I run out of juice regularly and 95% of the time I don't bother switching back to wireless so the glowy base station sits there like a dead hunk of plastic (at least the wire is nice and long and high quality).

On the other hand my performance MX goes for a week or 2 between charges (as opposed to a day or 3), is much more ergonomic, has a great build quality and generally blows the razor away in all aspects except for macros (which I do not use).  It even offers the same emergency usb wired mode and the nano-unifying-dongle with 30 ft range > glowy base station any day of the week.  The DPI is less than the Mamba's 4800 but the 1600 or 2400 DPI (can't remember which) is more than enough for me or anyone else who doesn't have super human dexterity.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: September 04, 2010, 01:24:12 AM

Hm, last time I looked Logitech didn't have any mice that could go wired/wireless, and all their good ones were wireless.  But taking a look at some of the newer Logitech mice, I like the Wireless Gaming Mouse G700.  It looks like it's got the optional-cable feature as well, and it has buttons in much more comfortable places than the razer, and the shape looks as though it's similar to the MX Revolution, which has a form that I rather like.  When I do replace mine maybe it'll be with a G700, and I won't lose the freespin that I like, or the form factor I'm pleased with.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: September 04, 2010, 09:51:15 AM

Wireless gaming mouse is an oxymoron.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #263 on: September 04, 2010, 01:18:13 PM

Hm, last time I looked Logitech didn't have any mice that could go wired/wireless
Meet the G700. Sexy as hell.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: September 04, 2010, 01:40:38 PM

Word, my good man.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: September 04, 2010, 01:44:51 PM

As are wired mice that turn themselves off. We have those abominations at work and they drive me nuts.

Corsair has a new gaming headset coming out and it sounds pretty hot. Might want to look into it. I believe it's called HS-1 (go figure) and its price point is supposedly $99.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: September 05, 2010, 09:58:23 AM

I use Logitech G5 (slightly newer model is G500, but I don't like side button design, too easy to mis-click) and MX518. I really like ability to customize weight in G5/G500, but I find MX518 more sensitive/precise. I use G5 for spray-and-pray, I use MX518 for sniping.

I can easily tell noobs that use wireless mice - they are the ones that get headshot in sniper duels.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 10:03:34 AM by sinij »

birdsguts
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: September 05, 2010, 01:50:53 PM

Even Razor mice pale compared to the mighty MX518 in my opinion.
Best mouse made. Why spend more?
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: September 05, 2010, 01:57:52 PM

I prefer Razor mice, though I'm still on my original Copperhead I bought back in '05. Haven't seen anything since that's really moved me enough to spend money.

The Naga and/or the MS side button one whose name escapes me are kinda tempting, but I have two Copperheads and neither seems intent on expiring anytime soon, sooo...cheap wins out.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #269 on: September 05, 2010, 02:57:44 PM

The old 518 was amazing. I recently replaced mine, and it seems that the construction is much lower quality now. The mouse doesnt have the same solid feel that it used to. Also the buttons do not sit as solid.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: September 08, 2010, 02:18:44 PM

If it's getting replaced anyways you might as well wreck it beyond repair in the name of science.
This is one of my core philosophies. Great way to learn how to do stuff.

My favorite words to hear "Let's replace it", my mind hears "Let's tear it apart and see if we can fix it with no negative consequences."

Though I did just tear apart an iPod to replace the backplate...I only needed a little bit of superglue :P

I was talking in the RF thread about replacing my cordless logitech mouse, I just got tired of crappy performance. MX518 it is. Miss the heft of the two AAs, it's a bit light. Do like the on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment and it seems to perform well enough. Hate the cord, but meh.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:21:47 PM by Sky »
birdsguts
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: September 08, 2010, 05:01:45 PM

The old 518 was amazing. I recently replaced mine, and it seems that the construction is much lower quality now. The mouse doesnt have the same solid feel that it used to. Also the buttons do not sit as solid.

Oh man that's sad to hear. I should have stocked up on old ones when I bought this one. I've had it for about 6 years at this point. Maybe more.
I have these AKG headphones... k240s... same story. Used to be rock solid, all the smart people bought them up when they were getting scarce.. Construction went to shit. "Say law veee y'all"
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: September 15, 2010, 01:01:45 PM

So hey, I've got a question.

My system drive died last week and I need a replacement. I have two choices, a 1 TB conventional drive ($90) or a 60 GB Solid State ($147).

Normally you'd go with the 1 TB, right? Except the only thing I put on my system drive anymore is the OS. I've had Windows scrag itself (and its drive) too many times to trust any other data to it. I keep all my valuable data (docs, MP3s, videos) on a 1 TB secondary drive. I don't actually need a huge system drive -- the only thing on it will be Vista.

So my main question here is, is it worth spending the extra money for the extra speed, or should I just grab the 1 TB and use it to install crap games?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 01:04:01 PM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #273 on: September 15, 2010, 07:42:19 PM

Well, if you're using Vista, it won't have trim support, so although the SSD will be fast as heck initially (even with sloggy Vista), the performance will drop to about half in a few months.

If you were going to get Windows 7, I'd say shoot for the SSD, but otherwise, go for the 1T.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #274 on: September 15, 2010, 08:34:36 PM

I gotta say I know its a build your own thread but just saying. Newegg 590.00 shipped.

Processor:
    AMD Athlon II X2 240(2.8GHz)

Processor Main Features:
    64 bit Dual Core Processor

Cache Per Processor:
    2MB L2 Cache

Memory:
    4GB DDR3 1333

Hard Drive:
    500GB SATA II

Optical Drive 1:
    24X DL DVD+/-RW Drive

Graphics:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT240 1GB

It runs lotrol in dx 10 real smooth. It plays Vampire the masquerade better than any computer I've ever had. That is without moniter. Keyboard mouse and tower. I couldn't figure out how to build cheaper.
1 x ($559.99) DT IBUYPOWER | GAMER POWER 538D3
$559.99

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: September 16, 2010, 06:36:56 AM

Well, if you're using Vista, it won't have trim support, so although the SSD will be fast as heck initially (even with sloggy Vista), the performance will drop to about half in a few months.

Yeah, I was warned about that, and I found this article on optimizing Vista for an SSD: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2009/08/27/ssd-performance-tweaks-for-vista/1

Not enough, you think?

- Henry Cobb
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #276 on: September 16, 2010, 10:35:23 AM

Well, they are 'tweaks', not really optimizing. Unless by 'optimizing' means 'slowing down the junking up process'. They essentially just turn scheduled defrag off, and turn off superfetch and indexing. Which will slow the degradation of the drive, for sure, but you're still essentially then just running Windows 7 without trim support. Over time, its just gonna get cloggy, no matter what.

The later 'tweaks', including reimaging after a full erase are going to work too, but its a lot of effort. You'd still need to buy Acronis or another cloning software (I recommend Acronis, btw), so why not just get Windows 7?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: September 16, 2010, 01:25:47 PM

Buy the SSD and Win7 together.

I've stuck with XP on my desktops because all my stuff works so there hasn't been a need to upgrade, but it's been impressing me with how well it's running on a laptop I recently installed for a co-worker.  Better than the old XP that was on it, and Vista would have choked it to death.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: September 16, 2010, 02:03:14 PM

I grabbed it when they were running all the pre-launch $50 promos. I can't believe everyone didn't grab at least one copy at that price!
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: September 16, 2010, 03:23:53 PM

Buy the SSD and Win7 together.

Unfortunately, I can't afford both right now, and I need the drive to get the home PC working again. So I'm going to taken Engels' advice (which was echoed by the office IT guys) and get a conventional drive.

- Henry Cobb
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 96 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  
Jump to: