Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:04:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 96 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  (Read 853627 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3150 on: April 15, 2020, 11:02:53 PM

Re SSDs, anything wrong with buying a Samsung 970 EVO Plus?
Nope it's fine.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #3151 on: April 26, 2020, 11:35:01 PM

the 25" model is OOS here (aus) for $419, seems like it will do the job provided I don't have to wait too long.

Re SSDs, anything wrong with buying a Samsung 970 EVO Plus?
I think I have the 970 Evo (m.2). It's stupid fast, so I dunno why the plus would be worse.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3152 on: April 27, 2020, 01:01:16 AM

The question makes more sense in the context of there also being a Pro version.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3153 on: April 28, 2020, 12:29:45 PM

And in regards to that the Pro is faster but can a user tell the difference?  Personally I think it really comes down to the warranty and longevity.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3154 on: April 28, 2020, 01:10:10 PM

In the 960(?) series, the Samsung EVO line was quite prone to data loss while the Pro line was not. I believe they resolved that in the 970 series though.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #3155 on: May 01, 2020, 01:36:42 PM

In the 960(?) series, the Samsung EVO line was quite prone to data loss while the Pro line was not. I believe they resolved that in the 970 series though.

I got the Pro without knowing there was anything else for m.2. Might not have been, at the time.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3156 on: May 03, 2020, 08:15:39 PM

I'm pretty sure my gaming days on this PC are over. I am now that guy that has hung on to his current build for close to 7? years old. I think my CPU is close to melting. I'll be in this thread probably 5-6 months from now.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3157 on: May 30, 2020, 08:37:17 PM

Ok a few weeks later and I'm getting fed up.

Just looking on pcpartspicker at the build guides. Surprised the $1500 build only has 16gb of ram. That normal these days?

I need a new HD and I'd rather not hack into my ancient desktop.

Outside of gaming and office I use AutoCAD too.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 09:23:32 PM by Draegan »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3158 on: May 30, 2020, 10:27:15 PM

16GB of RAM is still more than you need for pretty much anything a normal person does (including gaming).

The only people who even use more than that are people doing photo/video/audio editing or some form of 3d modeling stuff.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3159 on: May 30, 2020, 10:29:02 PM

Or if you use Chrome.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3160 on: May 31, 2020, 09:24:52 AM

Or if you use Chrome.

For real. And even more so if you have a 'problem' with closing tabs. My quality of life improved when I put 32 GB in my new desktop.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3161 on: May 31, 2020, 11:16:36 AM

The Great Suspender plugin is awesome for people with tab closing problems.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3162 on: May 31, 2020, 11:29:15 AM

The Great Suspender plugin is awesome for people with tab closing problems.

Amen. It is a godsend.

As for 16GB, that's what I finally put in mine. It has no problem with anything EXCEPT video editing - regular Photoshop work it does without even breathing heavy but Premiere Pro or After Effects can cause immediate vapor locks.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3163 on: May 31, 2020, 05:49:59 PM

So let's see...poor optimization by Google and Adobe are why people MUST have 32GB of RAM?

Maybe people should look for alternatives  why so serious?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3164 on: June 01, 2020, 04:08:28 AM

32 GB of RAM are cheap enough (up from 16), and provide enough overall benefits, that I don't see what's the big deal. Could be Chrome, could be my mania of alt-tabbing in and out of games, could be video editing, could be streaming, could be doing all those things at once, I feel that it's a worthy "quality-of-life" upgrade if you can afford it.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3165 on: June 01, 2020, 05:27:11 AM

So I haven't been paying attention to new hardware cycles at all for a long time now. I've seen that new graphics cards are coming out later this year. Two questions:

1) Historically now, how much cheaper do existing cards get with the new generation being released? Same down tick as before?
2) This new generation of Nvidia cards is there anything ground breaking about them that I'm missing that I would want to wait?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3166 on: June 01, 2020, 08:19:00 AM

So I haven't been paying attention to new hardware cycles at all for a long time now. I've seen that new graphics cards are coming out later this year. Two questions:

1) Historically now, how much cheaper do existing cards get with the new generation being released? Same down tick as before?
They don't generally by any significant amount because of the way NVIDIA staggers the launches and how they usually price the new top end cards higher than the previous gen's top end cards.

2) This new generation of Nvidia cards is there anything ground breaking about them that I'm missing that I would want to wait?
Nothing ground-breaking feature-wise for gaming but the performance boost should be much greater this time around.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #3167 on: June 02, 2020, 12:12:37 AM

I bought this but the screen is all blurry and my googling skills can't figure out why and it's giving me a headache... Like icons and pictures just aren't sharp.

Edit: found it. Some dumb setting called vividpixel.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 01:00:01 AM by lamaros »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #3168 on: June 03, 2020, 06:47:56 PM

Hello! In this new working-from-home era I am creating a new gaming setup by stealth, and need some monitor suggestions.

My wife (non-gamer) chose a desk, so I said "I'll get a chair" and ordered a Secretlab (gaming) chair. She agrees it's awesome. But she hates my old 1080p monitor (I usually game on a 4k TV - my next "screen" purchase was gonna be Oculus) so now we're splitting the cost of a new monitor. I have generously offered to choose it. The combined maximum budget is around US$525 (A$800) but I could add a little more.

I am always an nVidia graphics card user. I've never experienced Gsync (or Freesync) so I don't yet know what I'm missing. I'd need to get a new PC if I wanted to drive a 4K monitor (the PC connected to the 4K TV outputs 1080p which the TV upscales - there's a PS4 Pro there for 4K gaming - but that PC could drive 1440p).

Any suggestions? I'm thinking a 1440p monitor at a decent refresh rate. It's gotta also be an excellent working-from-home monitor, as it's not just for gaming. Should it definitely have Gsync? Also, wife claims her workplace desks have dual widescreens.... I think they may just be dual regular monitors, so I think I'd get away with something that isn't actually wider than normal, but if it's affordable at our budget I'd get a wider 1440p model. Should I put in more money on my side and raise the budget?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 06:52:58 PM by Tale »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3169 on: June 03, 2020, 07:13:07 PM

Adaptive sync (g-sync or freesync) is pretty nice but I am sure not necessary.

I have a Samsung SH850 which is a freesync "business" monitor but it works pretty decent for gaming. I think nVidia cards/drivers now support Freesync and not just G-Sync now too?

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-s27h850qfn-26-9-qhd/p/N82E16824022589

I have had it for a couple years now and have been extremely happy with it overall. I do as much work on it as gaming at this point and have no complaints with it there.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #3170 on: June 03, 2020, 11:07:02 PM

I think nVidia cards/drivers now support Freesync and not just G-Sync now too?

Ahh, that's info I was missing. Thanks. And for the other advice.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3171 on: June 03, 2020, 11:31:05 PM

I think nVidia cards/drivers now support Freesync and not just G-Sync now too?
Ahh, that's info I was missing. Thanks. And for the other advice.
Kind of, sort of, maybe not.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/06/20/g-sync-vs-freesync-vs-g-sync-compatible-what-you-need-to-know/
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #3172 on: June 04, 2020, 04:59:16 PM

I’ve updated my rig with a Ryzen 9 3900x and 32 GB of Ram which was harder to do than I imagined. It’s probably great if you’re twelve and like gauche plastic trash with lots of expensive LED lighting in it but finding decent components that don’t light up like the sketchers of my five year old nephew was harder than I thought. Shortages due to COVID haven’t made it any easier.

Air cooling those chips is also getting to a point where it’s getting sort of ridiculous.

I now run a 3900X with a 2070 Super and will probably go for a 1440p Display next once they become available again.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3173 on: June 11, 2020, 04:26:03 PM

It's a bit silly how much glow I have shoved into my 10 year old black and windowless ATX case.  Opening it up is akin to the transition from the real world to toonland.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3174 on: June 11, 2020, 06:07:27 PM

I’ve updated my rig with a Ryzen 9 3900x and 32 GB of Ram which was harder to do than I imagined. It’s probably great if you’re twelve and like gauche plastic trash with lots of expensive LED lighting in it but finding decent components that don’t light up like the sketchers of my five year old nephew was harder than I thought. Shortages due to COVID haven’t made it any easier.

Air cooling those chips is also getting to a point where it’s getting sort of ridiculous.

I now run a 3900X with a 2070 Super and will probably go for a 1440p Display next once they become available again.

Most of the glowy shit can be shut off in BIOS.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3175 on: June 11, 2020, 09:54:12 PM

These days, most boards come with software to control all that kind of stuff without having to go directly into the BIOS.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3176 on: June 12, 2020, 12:01:28 PM

These days, most boards come with software to control all that kind of stuff without having to go directly into the BIOS.

Yes, but if you just want to shut that shit off entirely and not install the "choose your type of glowiness" software BIOS is the best option :D

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3177 on: June 14, 2020, 10:23:25 AM

I like programmable RGB, to either shut it off or just give it a nice submarine dark red glow. I don't like a lot of lights on at night and getting a bunch of my stuff to emit a very low night-sight red has been pretty awesome. Esp my keyboard. Stock it came so bright but programming it down is wicked.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3178 on: August 03, 2020, 09:30:19 PM

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3179 on: August 20, 2020, 05:27:05 PM

I hate buying monitors.

https://www.viewsonic.com/elite/products/XG270QG.html

this seems like as good as i can do, i was considering that perhaps 240hz 24in was the holy grail but i doesn't feel like 1440p/IPS exists in that format and i usually go cheap on my GPU so its not like im maxing that this decade.

I was all but sold on a 27" 1080p set but i've been told you will really feel the drop to 1080 on 27" so i got scared off. though having never experienced it myself i'm unsure if that was silly of me.

https://www.viewsonic.com/elite/products/XG270.html

that's way cheaper ($400 vs $560 at time of writing). anyone have experience dropping back to 1080 from 1440? I almost never care about snobby shit, but I do like fps and i do like shooter performance. idk monitors always give me a headache. I'm done with BenQ after breaking 2 of their monitors within 5 years of life and scratching a third badly which is the first time i've ever damaged a monitor like that ever but was probably my fault. So don't try to sell me on some Lonovo or Dell bullshit I'm def going to brand snob that always works well for me with computer stuff (well until ASUS decided to start slapping their names on turds, now i never know who to back when it comes to mobo's).

for the record this would be the off brand:
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Monitor-S2417DG-24-Inch-Response/dp/B01IOO4SGK

And that's $390... I just can't bring myself to do it with no price savings.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 05:41:35 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3180 on: August 27, 2020, 03:16:48 PM

I have been so sold on IPS that I haven't even looked at a TN panel in many years.  I dont game hardly at all anymore but I do have a 34" 3440 x 1440 monitor sitting right next to a 27" 1920 x 1080 and I am constantly switching back and forth, I do not find the experience jarring in any way.   On a similar vein I was thinking about replacing the 27" with another 34" for the extra real estate and nicer features but I am mildly worried that if i ditch the 1080 screen entirely I may be hampered by my mid range video card should i choose to fire up a game.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3181 on: August 27, 2020, 06:20:05 PM

I hate buying monitors.

https://www.viewsonic.com/elite/products/XG270QG.html

this seems like as good as i can do, i was considering that perhaps 240hz 24in was the holy grail but i doesn't feel like 1440p/IPS exists in that format and i usually go cheap on my GPU so its not like im maxing that this decade.

I was all but sold on a 27" 1080p set but i've been told you will really feel the drop to 1080 on 27" so i got scared off. though having never experienced it myself i'm unsure if that was silly of me.

https://www.viewsonic.com/elite/products/XG270.html

that's way cheaper ($400 vs $560 at time of writing). anyone have experience dropping back to 1080 from 1440? I almost never care about snobby shit, but I do like fps and i do like shooter performance. idk monitors always give me a headache. I'm done with BenQ after breaking 2 of their monitors within 5 years of life and scratching a third badly which is the first time i've ever damaged a monitor like that ever but was probably my fault. So don't try to sell me on some Lonovo or Dell bullshit I'm def going to brand snob that always works well for me with computer stuff (well until ASUS decided to start slapping their names on turds, now i never know who to back when it comes to mobo's).

for the record this would be the off brand:
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Monitor-S2417DG-24-Inch-Response/dp/B01IOO4SGK

And that's $390... I just can't bring myself to do it with no price savings.

I'm actually using that exact Dell monitor and have been for some time now.  It's been solid, though color accuracy is not fantastic, but for games I don't care about that so much.  I have it flanked by a pair of IPS panels for image editing and other stuff where color accuracy matters more.  G-Sync is freaking fantastic, though.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3182 on: September 01, 2020, 11:49:40 AM

Thoughts on the 30xx stuff? Going off this leaked info, I'm going to hold off for the 20GB version of the 3080...unless it's significantly more than the 10GB version. I'm still on ye auld 970, so I'm looking at it with some longevity in mind. The nvidia IO stuff with nvme sounds verrry interesting (shooting compressed data directly into vram), thanks consoles!

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3183 on: September 01, 2020, 12:01:04 PM

3080 is what I'm planning on getting. Dunno about memory. AFAIK they didn't say anything official about higher memory configs today.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3184 on: September 01, 2020, 12:32:44 PM

The thought is that the 20GB version is going to launch against Big Navi's 16GB. As long as the speeds and bandwidth is the same for both memory configs, I'll wait for the larger card. If the smaller card is faster and/or more bandwidth, I'll have to dig deeper into benches. I feel that using the directstorage stuff will push the heck out of the VRAM, so bigger might be desirable. Either way, some interesting times ahead.

edit: I'm not going off any official announcements about the 20GB card. Just speculation about the board IDs.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 96 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  
Jump to: