Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 96 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  (Read 853805 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2940 on: January 09, 2019, 05:15:15 AM

Received it yesterday.  Haven't had a chance to install it yet, but holy shit is it small!  I realized on some level that 2280 was the measurement indicating it was 22 x 80mm in length, but my sleepy lizard brain didn't compute how small that actually is.  Crazy that you can put 500gb on something so small.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2941 on: January 09, 2019, 05:40:15 AM

I like the Crucial MX line a lot.

I have a Samsung 970Pro NVMe in my new machine because I got a ridiculous price this summer (like $175 for 500GB) but I would probably have bought an MX500 SATA if I hadn't got the deal.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
JRave
Terracotta Army

Reply #2942 on: January 11, 2019, 02:30:06 PM

fyi there are 2 types of M.2 slots.  SATA based and NVME(PCIE) based.  M.2 SSD's are not cross compatible, meaning you need to know what M.2 slot your motherboard has.  I found this out the hard way when I ended up buying an NVME ssd that was too long for my motherboard's NVME M.2 slot.  I figured I could put it in my second M.2 slot on my board, but that was a SATA slot and didn't work.  Returned the ssd and I'm waiting for another sale before I buy a new one.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2943 on: January 14, 2019, 07:34:25 PM

fyi there are 2 types of M.2 slots.  SATA based and NVME(PCIE) based.  M.2 SSD's are not cross compatible, meaning you need to know what M.2 slot your motherboard has.  I found this out the hard way when I ended up buying an NVME ssd that was too long for my motherboard's NVME M.2 slot.  I figured I could put it in my second M.2 slot on my board, but that was a SATA slot and didn't work.  Returned the ssd and I'm waiting for another sale before I buy a new one.

Depends upon the board. Some boards have a dual-mode slot that is either NVMe or SATA depending upon which type of drive you put in it. (It might be an AMD only feature though, I have a Ryzen.)

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2944 on: January 14, 2019, 09:47:33 PM

Intel as well. I recently bought an Alienware m15 that is shipping to me. It has primary NVMe only and secondary NVMe or SATA. That system can also take a 2.5, but I opted for a larger battery in place of it. No more moving parts for storage! I only purchased one 512 and I'm going to fill the second with another 512 but can't decide on a full MVMe 970 or keep it cheap and do the Crucial mentioned above. We will see.

Also, almost bought the MSI G5 Stealth thin Trippy mentioned. It's a really gorgeous system. The only thing that kept me away was the frame, which is too thin. The entire case flexes and the screen wobbles a ton with any slight movement. I'm hoping the Alienware is a bit sturdier. Oh well, it will be nice getting out of my *cough* GTX 760 *cough*.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2945 on: January 14, 2019, 09:57:11 PM

Yeah, my new board also has a NVMe primary and a secondary that can take both.  Anyway, works like a charm, and fast enough for my purposes that I am glad I spent half and just got the SATA version.  And compared to the old 2.5" drive (I still have one)....similar cost, easier mounting, no SATA cable, no power cable, takes up no space as it basically melts into the mother board.  Damn smart.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2946 on: January 15, 2019, 03:38:31 PM

Hi f13 friends.

It's been a little while, but hey, here I am.  :)

I'm looking to build a new toy from what has been a long time since I have build a PC.  My budget is about $4k out the door, and $5k with a new VR apparatus.  

Currently I'm here:
Limited Time Offer   TODAY ONLY! $50 Off All Intel Powered Systems!!
Case   iBUYPOWER Revolt 2 Gaming Case - with Revolt 2 RGB Case Lighting
Processor   Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor (8x 3.60GHz/16MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling   Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling System - Standard 120mm Fan [Revolt]
Memory   32 GB [16 GB x2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance-LPX
Video Card   NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - EVGA XC GAMING (VR-Ready)
Game Bundle   [Included Game Bundle] - Get Battlefield V AND Anthem (2 Games) - w/ Purchase of NVIDIA RTX 2080/2080 Ti Graphic Cards
Motherboard   GIGABYTE Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI -- RGB, 802.11ac WiFi, USB 3.1 (5 Rear, 2 Front), Digital VRM Design
Power Supply   850 Watt - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB - 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular
Primary Hard Drive   1 TB WD Blue SSD -- Read: 545MB/s, Write: 525MB/s - Single Drive
Sound Card   Creative Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 [USB] -- 5.1 Channels, 96kHz/24-bit, 100 dB SNR
Operating System   Windows 10 Home + Office 365 Trial [FREE 30 Day Trial] - (64-bit)
Monitor Cable   10 ft. DisplayPort Male-Male Cable - 28 AWG, High Bit-Rate
Keyboard   Corsair STRAFE RGB MK.2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard [Red Switches] - RGB LED, Cherry MX Red Switches
Mouse   iBUYPOWER Gaming Optical Mouse - Multi-Color LED Lighting
Warranty   3 Year Standard Warranty Service
Rush Service   Standard Service - Estimated Ship in 5-10 Business Days

I'm looking for some feedback based on this being what I did on iBuyPower with a cursory glance at Tom's Hardware and whatnot.

<3 all of you, hope you've all been well.

Edit:  Monitor choice is ASUS ROG PG258Q.  Already have a Corsair mouse and a Sennheiser headset I love.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2947 on: January 15, 2019, 04:17:03 PM

you couldn't pay me to use water cooling, even AIO personally. But I don't mind big honking cases with big honking DH-15 type monster air coolers... YMMV

you also couldn't pay me to use anything but SeaSonic for PSU's but I'm sure there are other good alternatives out there. But I'm on a lifetime of "it never broke don't fix it" with that brand and it feels like at least 1/3rd of the "my rig broke" situations I've found myself trying to help fix are some off brand PSU fucking up.

pretty sure you want to research/think about the SSD(s) more. That's a pretty big drop from BEST IN SLOT MONEY IS NOTHING tier for every other component to WD Blue...

people still buy sound cards? live and learn, are they worth it?

a flagship Gigabyte mobo should be great, so good job there afaik though you always want to find a trustworthy review or 3.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
WayAbvPar

Reply #2948 on: January 15, 2019, 05:12:09 PM

Water cooling is a bit of a bother to install, but wow is it quiet once you have it running. Pretty nice.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2949 on: January 15, 2019, 05:40:52 PM

you also couldn't pay me to use anything but SeaSonic for PSU's but I'm sure there are other good alternatives out there. But I'm on a lifetime of "it never broke don't fix it" with that brand and it feels like at least 1/3rd of the "my rig broke" situations I've found myself trying to help fix are some off brand PSU fucking up.

pretty sure you want to research/think about the SSD(s) more. That's a pretty big drop from BEST IN SLOT MONEY IS NOTHING tier for every other component to WD Blue...

people still buy sound cards? live and learn, are they worth it?

1.  Whats your specific recommendation there?  I’m not sweating $50 for a PSU of choices

2.  Whatcha got on this one too?  The last time I built a rig was 2007.  I bet I could find the post on this forum if I dug some.

3.  I think so, but then again I have a really nice headset and listen to more HQ music than most.  I also do a fair bit of audio editing so splurging $60 for an upgraded sound card felt like an easy spend.  Definitely down to hear the other side of it.  Thoughts?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2950 on: January 15, 2019, 06:48:30 PM

With power supplies in terms of quality you generally get what you pay for. Seasonic is one of the few brands that make their own power supplies rather than rebrand other manufacturers' supplies so their quality is more consistent but they also make cheaper (for them) power supplies that aren't necessarily as good as another brand's relabeled power supply that are more expensive.

Seasonic is my benchmark power supply brand, similar Hoax, but I also look at other high-end model lines as well. E.g. my current semi-ancient gaming rig (built September 2012) has a Corsair AX power supply which was/is their top-end model line.

If I was to build a new rig now (which I've been considering) I would look at something like the Seasonic PRIME Ultras and the Corsair AX again. Unfortunately I don't see those choices available in the iBuyPower picker. Of the ones that are there at the 850W size it seems like the Thermaltake you picked is decent enough -- i.e. it's roughly comparable to the Corsair RM850X and Seasonic FOCUS PLUS (e.g. all three have 10 year warranties and Japanese high-end capacitors).

For your SSD just get the Samsung 860 EVO -- it's faster than the WD Blue and has more write endurance.

If you need a headphone amp the motherboard you picked apparently has one built in so you may not need the external DAC if that's one of the main reasons you were thinking of getting it.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2951 on: January 15, 2019, 11:34:23 PM

I still have some old semi-decent sound card sitting around that I used to attempt to re-install on any new rig I built...it was always a pain with the drivers and other software, possibly as a result of being a part of the Vista era and not wanting to work together with other shit.  Anyway, I have wholly given up the idea of external sound cards as I eventually figured out that the higher end motherboards I was buying had onboard sound that was generally as good, possibly better.  Not sure I see the point of them anymore, unless you need an additional headphone amp.  In which case, there are probably better ways to do it anyway.  For reference, I have everything hooked up to a pretty sweet 7.1 Pioneer Elite system, so sound is something I put a lot of effort into.

What's your reasoning for the i9 9900k?  As seen earlier in this thread, I just got an i7 9700k.  I do almostly solely VR gaming, and it is already overkill.  I only bought it for future-proofing purposes, it doesn't actually do anything I need it to do faster than the i7 4770k it replaced. 

Not sure if you are new to VR, clmlancas, but I have plenty to say on that subject as well  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2952 on: January 16, 2019, 05:44:03 AM

What's your reasoning for the i9 9900k?  As seen earlier in this thread, I just got an i7 9700k.  I do almostly solely VR gaming, and it is already overkill.  I only bought it for future-proofing purposes, it doesn't actually do anything I need it to do faster than the i7 4770k it replaced. 

Not sure if you are new to VR, clmlancas, but I have plenty to say on that subject as well  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

This answer should say because it starts with 99, but, uh, um...

I mostly kid.  It’s an extra $120 with the parts picker so it seemed easy enough to make the upgrade.  Tom’s suggested that if you’re not 99ing, you’re better off with an AMD chip.  Not sure if this is totally accurate. (I only do the research once every ten years apparently.)

I am EXTREMELY interested in an expert walking me through VR do’s/don’ts.  My wife has been interested in single-player experiential games for a long time, and this is going to be her first foray into PC gaming.  I want to make sure I do it right. :)

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2953 on: January 16, 2019, 05:46:27 AM

If I was to build a new rig now (which I've been considering) I would look at something like the Seasonic PRIME Ultras and the Corsair AX again. Unfortunately I don't see those choices available in the iBuyPower picker. Of the ones that are there at the 850W size it seems like the Thermaltake you picked is decent enough -- i.e. it's roughly comparable to the Corsair RM850X and Seasonic FOCUS PLUS (e.g. all three have 10 year warranties and Japanese high-end capacitors).

For your SSD just get the Samsung 860 EVO -- it's faster than the WD Blue and has more write endurance.

If you need a headphone amp the motherboard you picked apparently has one built in so you may not need the external DAC if that's one of the main reasons you were thinking of getting it.

Thanks for the suggestions!  <3 

Didn’t notice that on the MOBO specs, so that’s an easy $50 to save. 

For PSUs, should I go above and beyond the 850W?  Or am I now putting racing stripes on a car that goes the same speed without them?

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2954 on: January 16, 2019, 06:15:40 AM

I mostly kid.  It’s an extra $120 with the parts picker so it seemed easy enough to make the upgrade.  Tom’s suggested that if you’re not 99ing, you’re better off with an AMD chip.  Not sure if this is totally accurate. (I only do the research once every ten years apparently.)

I am EXTREMELY interested in an expert walking me through VR do’s/don’ts.  My wife has been interested in single-player experiential games for a long time, and this is going to be her first foray into PC gaming.  I want to make sure I do it right. :)

I mean, if money isn't an issue, then yeah, why not.

Can you be more specific about what kind of games you/she like?  We do have a VR thread, by the way.  Are you going Vive or Rift?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2955 on: January 16, 2019, 12:05:58 PM

For PSUs, should I go above and beyond the 850W?  Or am I now putting racing stripes on a car that goes the same speed without them?
A single stock 2080 Ti needs 22A on the +12V line. Your CPU uses about 8A on that same 12V line. Your power supply puts out ~58A on the +12V assuming the other lines are heavily loaded. So if for some reason you wanted a 2nd 2080 Ti that would be 58A - ((22A * 2)  + 8A) = 6A left over. Which isn't a lot of spare +12V capacity (again that's assuming you've heavily loaded the other lines, otherwise the PS would have more spare +12V capacity). I.e. you think you might want to go with dual 2080 Tis in the future you may want something bigger. If not the 850 is plenty big enough.
JRave
Terracotta Army

Reply #2956 on: January 16, 2019, 01:32:29 PM

Depends upon the board. Some boards have a dual-mode slot that is either NVMe or SATA depending upon which type of drive you put in it. (It might be an AMD only feature though, I have a Ryzen.)

Interesting, I wonder if that is something they came out with for the most recent generation of mobo lines.   I have an Asrock ab350 Gaming K4 and it comes with 2 m.2 sockets one of each type.  (Got the mobo on sale in 2017 for $45, so couldn't pass it up)

As for those talking about PSUs, I'm a firm supporter of Seasonic as well.  I have used a few brands over the years, but only Seasonic hasn't failed me over the years.  I'm currently using a G-Series 650w which is on its 2nd system.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2957 on: January 16, 2019, 02:59:51 PM

Ryzens are awesome.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #2958 on: January 17, 2019, 01:54:45 PM

Ryzens are awesome.

Can't wait until they release the next gen 7nm chips in a few months.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2959 on: January 17, 2019, 07:30:36 PM

I need a new GPU, ever since i didn't buy a 1080 at launch before the great mining fuckery the universe has been punishing me.

So should I just buy a 1060 for $220-200 which would still be quite an upgrade because of how long I've been waiting or should I buy a RTX 2070 for $435-465 (I'm probably going to shell out $60 for Anthem so I'm counting that against the price)?

I was thinking RTX but then I read some shit about how these early RTX's won't actually be good enough at the new new not even out yet shit when it finally gets here. Whatever this ray tracing and other magical tech they have is idk and idc.

Like the RTX option is great if its a 4-6 year card but otherwise I know I'll get 2 years from the GTX and then I can get another upgrade if I need it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2960 on: January 17, 2019, 08:10:31 PM

What resolution do you run at?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2961 on: January 18, 2019, 01:58:44 PM

2560 x 1440

-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2962 on: January 18, 2019, 02:34:35 PM

At 1440p the GTX 1060 6 GB will struggle to hit 60 fps. The RTX 2060 (or 2070) would be a better option for 1440p gaming.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2963 on: January 24, 2019, 07:43:49 PM

I really wanted to like the Alienware m15, but I ended up returning for refund. I could not get the system to perform at a somewhat cool temp. If web browsing or working on sites, it was fine at 40C, but turning on something like Conan Exiles ran the CPU at 100C and GPU at 80C, fans at 100%. I damn near burnt my fingers trying to move it from the desk. The biggest problem is the air intake is under the system with only .25" clearance and exhaust is blowing back into the system that way. It's bonkers design.

Back to the drawing board - I'm kinda thinking about picking up a cheapy $600 13" notebook for doing dev/site work in the house and building a new gaming desktop. I'm not sure I trust notebook gaming rigs now. :(
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2964 on: February 18, 2019, 06:42:13 PM

My Lenovo that was pretty fucking reliable for 5 years blew up suddenly this weekend. I feel utterly paralyzed looking at the current prebuilt market. I don't want to have to build my own--such a hassle in terms of researching every component, doing it all myself, feeling terror at it--and yet I almost feel compelled with all this utter bullshit on the current market. I have no idea why there isn't a market for "decent quality components plus $200ish for our labor" but it's pretty evident that all the bullshit Chinese assemblies are "3 components that are the hotshit bleeding edge plus a bunch of really bad fucking knockoffs that will fail very quickly", and that Dell/Alienware/everybody else has jumped off the cliff with them.

Fuck. I don't have the time or the energy to do a self-assembly. But I feel intensely anxious about the quality of all the pre-builts I can see.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2965 on: February 18, 2019, 07:22:46 PM

My buddy at work has an HP Omen pre-built gaming style desktop that he had our sysadmin order not too long ago, and it seems pretty solid. I'm also using one of HP's Pavilion Gaming pre-builts and am pretty happy with them as well. The Omen was > $1000 and mine was right at $500, though I added an SSD boot drive to speed it up.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2966 on: February 18, 2019, 08:08:24 PM

My Lenovo that was pretty fucking reliable for 5 years blew up suddenly this weekend. I feel utterly paralyzed looking at the current prebuilt market. I don't want to have to build my own--such a hassle in terms of researching every component, doing it all myself, feeling terror at it--and yet I almost feel compelled with all this utter bullshit on the current market. I have no idea why there isn't a market for "decent quality components plus $200ish for our labor" but it's pretty evident that all the bullshit Chinese assemblies are "3 components that are the hotshit bleeding edge plus a bunch of really bad fucking knockoffs that will fail very quickly", and that Dell/Alienware/everybody else has jumped off the cliff with them.

Fuck. I don't have the time or the energy to do a self-assembly. But I feel intensely anxious about the quality of all the pre-builts I can see.
What's wrong with a place like iBuyPower for a semi-custom build?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2967 on: February 18, 2019, 08:49:35 PM

Or you need to go to your local computer build/repair type place and see if they will let you price something out on newegg and build it for you for $200'ish for their labor. You used to be able to do that in SF at a few places.

-William Gibson
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2968 on: February 19, 2019, 07:20:46 AM

I miss the days when we had a couple solid hardcore nerds who owned computer shops in town. The last one closed up around 15 years ago, the proliferation of non-literate computer users was too much for him. I'd known the guy since the early 80s, taught me how to build em long ago.

Now at least two of the shops are total fraudsters, one used to be my step-brother. Last year he was telling someone how he had thirty years experience in computers, I was like 'bitch I knew you back in the day and you fucking bullied me because I was into computers'. The other guy I first ran into right about when the last good shop closed, someone came into the library asking if $400 was a good price for a 14.4k modem (and I was using a top end 56k that had cost me $100). Just a bunch of clowns, and I get asked several times a week for shop recommendations (at the library), and I am pretty quick to tell people to avoid the small shops.

It's probably different in larger cities with more competition, but it's a total clownshow in small towns.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2969 on: February 19, 2019, 08:17:56 AM

Yeah we still have at least 30 IT/Repair type spots in SF if not more. I can only vouch for two of them but I think most could put together a custom build that's a pretty low bar.

-William Gibson
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2970 on: February 19, 2019, 06:28:41 PM

NZXT has a fairly new service called BLD that looks pretty slick if you don't want to roll your own.  Specify the games you want to play, your budget and your CPU/platform preference and it spits out a system that you can then customize.  I've played around with it a bit and it's not terrible.  Pricing isn't significantly higher than the parts ordered separately to boot.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2971 on: February 19, 2019, 06:41:30 PM

Doesn't seem like you can adjust the target resolution which is kind of sucky.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2972 on: February 19, 2019, 07:39:18 PM

Doesn't seem like you can adjust the target resolution which is kind of sucky.

You can select 1080 or 1440 when selecting games (or at least I could on mobile).

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2973 on: February 19, 2019, 08:08:13 PM

Ah I see you have to scroll down to the bottom to get that. It's still missing a 4K/VR option, though.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2974 on: February 19, 2019, 09:31:30 PM

Ah I see you have to scroll down to the bottom to get that. It's still missing a 4K/VR option, though.

Agreed.  That said, 1440 is a pretty good stand in for VR in its current state.  I admit that I still kinda dig this - it seems more noob-friendly than the iBuyPower or CyberPower configurators.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:34:09 PM by MisterNoisy »

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 96 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  
Jump to: