Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2018, 01:13:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  (Read 290310 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2905 on: October 08, 2018, 08:01:05 PM

AMD Ryzen stuff has virtualization extensions.

While it *may* run ok, the security implications of running a web server that is open to ANY of the internet on your home PC makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

Why not just run your old machine headless as a hypervisor from a closet if you really want something? You can run KVM on CentOS or even the free version of ESXi.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #2906 on: October 08, 2018, 09:17:05 PM

A hypervisor escalation attack that could be run on an unpatched system strictly over port 443 is a pretty narrow scope.  I   guess I am not entirely confident that Hyper V on windows 10 pro will be taken as seriously by Microsoft as Hyper V on a windows server OS would be from a patch cycle standpoint but I would think it isn't wildly out of synch.  That said I do have a few reasons why it might be okay for me to bend a bit on this:

#1  - This type of attack is something that for the foreseeable future would need to be specifically tailored to my environment, a script kiddy throwing in a google search and pointing a script at a result isn't going to successfully escalate something to the host from the container.

#2 - I am fairly comfortable when it comes to setting up and securing web servers, if my Hyper V container has a unique IP and my router is port forwarding only port 443 (or some other random port of choice) to that IP I am confident that I can secure the linux instance and web server (fail2ban, blacklist or whitelist ip addresses, no remote or a preshared key for root login, secured filesystem, etc).

#3 - While the high end routing and firewall equipment I am used to having in place in a data center is great, if someone compromises my home router my Windows 10 host is probably a far easier target to directly attack than attempting to go through the Linux guest VM with zero critical information on it.

I dunno maybe you are right and the risk isn't worth the gain, the wife gets annoyed when I have spare PCs stashed all over the house but maybe it would be better to just grab a high end mini PC (Intel NUC or something) and run my web server in a Hyper V on that, mount it to the back of my monitor or something.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2907 on: October 09, 2018, 08:54:23 AM

I have a friend that uses a NUC with a SamsungPro as a home ESXi box and he says it works great. I don’t know if there are any AMD versions of that type of product but any of the micro-ITX builds people use for HTPCs should be both usable and less expensive than a NUC since intel charges a pretty hefty “tax” for the NUC.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2908 on: October 09, 2018, 09:45:30 AM

Yea the NUC price needs to be slashed in half.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2909 on: October 12, 2018, 08:12:57 AM

Dunno if anyone is looking to build any time soon, but a bunch of NZXT cases that are soon to be retired are on sale via their site right now.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #2910 on: October 12, 2018, 11:02:59 AM

Wish that Razer H440 was an EATX case
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #2911 on: October 12, 2018, 12:03:48 PM

Dunno if anyone is looking to build any time soon, but a bunch of NZXT cases that are soon to be retired are on sale via their site right now.

Hmm thanks.  I might actually grab one for an upcoming build.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2912 on: October 12, 2018, 12:39:19 PM

The S340 is a great fucking case.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2913 on: October 12, 2018, 01:54:57 PM

Contemplating buying the H440 white.  Seems like a great case. 

Thanks for the link!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #2914 on: October 14, 2018, 08:28:53 PM

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 08:42:50 PM by Druzil »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2915 on: October 14, 2018, 09:02:22 PM

That WD Blue m.2 SSD is *not* NVMe so you will be getting the same performance as a regular WD Blue 2.5" SATA SSD. If you really want to take advantage of that M.2 interface you should get an NVMe M.2 SSD.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #2916 on: October 14, 2018, 09:31:48 PM

Awesome, thanks.  I think I found some good reading material on the NVMe stuff.  Seems like the Samsung drives might be a better choice.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #2917 on: October 15, 2018, 09:31:23 AM

Awesome, thanks.  I think I found some good reading material on the NVMe stuff.  Seems like the Samsung drives might be a better choice.

Samsung has been at the leading edge of consumer SSD for quite awhile now, solid choice.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2918 on: October 15, 2018, 06:32:27 PM

Awesome, thanks.  I think I found some good reading material on the NVMe stuff.  Seems like the Samsung drives might be a better choice.

This is the 960GB version of the one I used on the build posted a couple of pages ago.  Performance has been great in my experience and it seems to review well.  Currently, you can get it for $180 if you use code SAVE15 at checkout.

The same site has the 480GB version for basically half price as well.

Also, with large SATA SSDs getting cheaper ($110 with same code), I don't know if I'd put a sub-2TB spinner in a new build any more.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 06:48:49 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #2919 on: October 16, 2018, 11:41:29 AM

That is a good point.  I don't need a 2 TB drive, I have storage elsewhere, this is pretty much only for games.  Really the only reason I even have it is for moving the occasional gigantic game that don't play for awhile or for somewhere to put raw captured video.   Maybe at some point I'll grab another SSD as a secondary and re-purpose this one.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2920 on: October 17, 2018, 02:51:21 PM

Samsung's EVO series of NVME m.2 drives is the bar to beat, and not many come close even on a dollar for dollar basis. It's just stupid fast in a way that only very high end PCIe SSD's can beat, with reliability more than high enough for home users. If nearly 2 GB/sec isn't fast enough, you're doing something way outside the normal usage pattern.

--Dave

--Jello Biafra: "If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve."
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  
Jump to: