Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:23:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 96 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  (Read 853707 times)
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2695 on: July 26, 2017, 05:23:21 AM

I'm using the 1350 version of that. I travel to where there's terrible power, and they usually last about 12 to 18 months then start throwing beeps and errors and dying.

But my pc&monitors don't.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2696 on: July 26, 2017, 06:38:50 AM

If it is just powering a PC and your real concern is power conditioning not runtime, a 1000VA model (and probably even a 750) should be big enough. I run my work PC plus two monitors on a 1K and get at least a half hour of runtime.
Good point. I'm going to run a wattage meter on my pc anyway to see what it's drawing. But it's just for the line conditioning, the battery backup is just a bonus.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2697 on: July 26, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Hmm...since I bought a fancy power supply, I guess I need a fancy UPS? (Active PFC Sinewave)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N19W/

Wasn't planning on $400 (for PSU and UPS) but I'm not feeling like skimping here, either. The white noise blasts every now and again probably shaved off a couple of Bart's lives, the poor bastard.  

I have the 1350VA version of that on my desktop setup.  It's about three years old now and still kicking.  According to it, my full setup draws about 380W at full blast while gaming.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:12:23 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #2698 on: August 03, 2017, 12:42:07 PM

Anyone have an opinion on if buying a G-Sync enabled monitor is worth it, over just saving the $200 and spending it elsewhere?

I'm considering getting a 27" 1440p IPS display, but the ones supporting G-Sync are in the $700 range as opposed to others with no adaptive refresh (or perhaps Freesync) are about $200 cheaper, and both sets are 144Hz or higher.

I'm expecting that with my new setup, I should be running games that are achieving around 100-120FPS (I never run Ultra settings on anything), so I'm not sure if that extra cash is worth it or not (for that money I could nearly get another 1060 and run SLI).

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2699 on: August 03, 2017, 01:39:24 PM

I didn't think it was worth it when I bought my 144Hz display, but then I've never seen Gsync at work, so maybe I'm missing something!

- Viin
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2700 on: August 03, 2017, 03:29:16 PM

G-Sync monitors are mega expensive because unlike Freesync the adaptive sync circuitry is in the monitor. Thus why they are so much more expensive.

Of course with card prices what they are right now, it would be cheaper than buying another card if you were thinking of doing SLI (which has become less and less of a thing).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:30:47 PM by Chimpy »

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2701 on: August 03, 2017, 09:35:08 PM

Anyone have an opinion on if buying a G-Sync enabled monitor is worth it, over just saving the $200 and spending it elsewhere?

I'm considering getting a 27" 1440p IPS display, but the ones supporting G-Sync are in the $700 range as opposed to others with no adaptive refresh (or perhaps Freesync) are about $200 cheaper, and both sets are 144Hz or higher.

I'm expecting that with my new setup, I should be running games that are achieving around 100-120FPS (I never run Ultra settings on anything), so I'm not sure if that extra cash is worth it or not (for that money I could nearly get another 1060 and run SLI).

I bought a Dell 24" G-Sync 1440p/165Hz TN panel a few months ago for around $400.  Not gonna lie - I'd never go back.  No tearing or stuttering even with highly variable framerates, so you can achieve totally smooth gameplay at higher settings on a given card than you could with a fixed-refresh panel.  I don't mind the reduced color accuracy since I have a pair of IPS panels flanking it that I can use for shit that requires it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 09:43:21 PM by MisterNoisy »

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2702 on: August 04, 2017, 03:45:18 AM

I bought a Dell 24" G-Sync 1440p/165Hz TN panel a few months ago for around $400.  Not gonna lie - I'd never go back.  No tearing or stuttering even with highly variable framerates, so you can achieve totally smooth gameplay at higher settings on a given card than you could with a fixed-refresh panel.  I don't mind the reduced color accuracy since I have a pair of IPS panels flanking it that I can use for shit that requires it.

I can definitely echo what MisterNoisy wrote: I have been using a 27" Dell G-Sync 1440p/144hz TN Panel, specifically the S2716DG Model, for about 14 months now and boy what a difference. At the time, I purchased it while it featured a heavy discount (I think I paid slightly above €400). The only small downside I found is that you have to engage in a little research around the net in order to adjust some of the colour settings (either using your graphic card ones or the monitor's) in order to obtain a better overall visual quality.

No more worries about V-sync and, if you don't need/can't  go over 60/100/120 frames per second in certain games you can adjust that via Nvidia inspector or, even better, MSI Afterburner (with the RivaTuner application)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #2703 on: August 04, 2017, 05:43:21 PM

I've been looking at that specific one:  I love Dell displays, have been using UltraSharps for the past 10+ years.

So you find yourself regretful about the TN panel as compared to an IPS?  For my situation, I don't see myself using it off-axis often (if at all), and reviews I've seen on YouTube have been glowing about the color accuracy and vividness.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2704 on: August 05, 2017, 03:49:56 AM

Personally, I can't provide you with an objective comparison 'cause I never owned (or used) an IPS monitor.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #2705 on: August 10, 2017, 11:08:11 AM

I think I've settled on the Dell S2716DG after seeing one in person. 

Best Buy is currently selling them in-store for $449.  Before I pull the trigger, i'm wondering if it might behoove me to wait for Black Friday sales since those are coming up and I already have an older 1080p monitor I can use in the meantime?

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2706 on: August 10, 2017, 12:05:19 PM

It doesn't seem likely that it will be much, if any, cheaper on Black Friday. For a lot of things like this, it seems that the BF deals are usually cheap-o versions made just for BF.

- Viin
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2707 on: August 10, 2017, 03:55:38 PM

Dell typically doesn't have weird Black Friday "models" they just run sales various times of the year on their monitors/computers.

This time of year is actually one of the best times as they try to push things at the beginning of the school year.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2708 on: August 10, 2017, 04:42:40 PM

A fair comparison of price data here: https://camelcamelcamel.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DG-LED-Lit-Monitor/product/B0149QBOF0?context=search

No Amazon data during T-day last year, but it overall rarely dips below $500.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2709 on: August 13, 2017, 01:59:55 PM

still waiting for the CHG90 to actually be released
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2710 on: September 08, 2017, 09:01:02 PM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2711 on: September 15, 2017, 11:14:28 AM

My new Alienware Aurora arrived today!  First major PC upgrade for me in about six years (I got as far as I could with the old mobo, but its upper limit of 12GB RAM is a pretty severe handicap these days).

(case pic for reference)

The big upgrade I'm curious to test-drive is the Optane memory -- I never made the switch to SSDs since the combination of high price and potential flakiness spooked me, but the Optane sounds like a best of both worlds sort of situation.  Will report back.

Curious how many other folks here who used to build their own PCs have ended up going the prebuilt route.  The last one I built myself had a problem with the heat sink causing a short on the board (due to just being too damn big for the case), and now that I've seen the glory of the Alienware toolless cases I don't think I can ever go back.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:20:00 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2712 on: September 15, 2017, 11:37:34 AM

I am still picking up bits and pieces for my exercise in masochism the backpackable gaming rig. And I built an HTPC a couple of years ago for someone else.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2713 on: September 15, 2017, 09:03:46 PM

I'm afraid to ask what the Alienware costs, but it sure looks purdy! (I do think a nice case is a must have to make future upgrades easier)

- Viin
schild
Administrator

Reply #2714 on: September 15, 2017, 10:18:10 PM

I wasnt aware the Aurora had an Optane option.

The Area 51 does but it remains the ugliest fucking computer on the market.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #2715 on: September 16, 2017, 12:40:40 PM

The new M.2 MVNE SSD drives are amazing.  You can get up to 1 TB in a small stick the size of a piece of gum, and they are insanely fast.  This last PC build was the first where I didn't need to run a single SATA cable anywhere - everything needed plugged right in to the motherboard.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2716 on: September 16, 2017, 12:41:26 PM

Yea i bought a 950 pro right when they came out. Theyre fucking radical.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2717 on: September 18, 2017, 12:22:15 AM

Are there cyclical price fluctuations for components (particularly graphics cards) or is there a scarcity issue going on?  A card I bought in January is 100 bucks more now, which seems to be the opposite of what should happen.  I am investigating putting together a new system with my boy and want to get the timing right. Do prices drop after X-mas (which is when I did my last system)? Is it random?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #2718 on: September 18, 2017, 12:38:53 AM

There's a scarcity thing.  I was told there's a crypto-currency mining rush that started a few months ago, and miners are buying up all the high end cards for processing power.

Haven't seen any articles, but several folks looking to build systems have mentioned it.  So, anecdotal story is anecdotal ...

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2719 on: September 18, 2017, 08:22:49 AM

It's just the state of things right now, the 1070 and above  are short supply and higher prices due to mining all the new launched scams cryptocurrencies. I'm still struggling with a dying 570 waiting for reasonable prices, they've dropped a bit over the last month, hopefully bitcoin dropping like a rock will help.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2720 on: September 18, 2017, 08:27:13 AM

Yes. Ethereum based coins do not have the specialized chips (ASICs) that has Bitcoin has to accelerate mining (yet) so Ethereum miners have to do it the "old school" way with GPUs. This is causing a shortage of certain GPUs as people are rushing to build Ethereum mining farms.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2721 on: September 22, 2017, 09:57:03 AM

Curious how many other folks here who used to build their own PCs have ended up going the prebuilt route.  The last one I built myself had a problem with the heat sink causing a short on the board (due to just being too damn big for the case), and now that I've seen the glory of the Alienware toolless cases I don't think I can ever go back.

I still build my own, though if I'm honest it's mostly because I enjoy building them.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2722 on: September 27, 2017, 05:38:08 AM

I go prebuilt because my free time is worth more than the cash I'd save building a rig. I never did it for enjoyment, it was a puzzle to learn, and I was cheap.

I don't change my own oil for the same reason. It's less than an hour of my time to take it to the dealer, and I don't have to mess with the additional time & money overhead of disposal, acquiring the oil, and changing clothes to handle it. Those who say "I can get my oil change done in 20 minutes!" always seem to forget these details.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2723 on: September 28, 2017, 10:45:21 PM

I don't change my own oil for the same reason. It's less than an hour of my time to take it to the dealer, and I don't have to mess with the additional time & money overhead of disposal, acquiring the oil, and changing clothes to handle it. Those who say "I can get my oil change done in 20 minutes!" always seem to forget these details.
You could move those words around a bunch and adequately describe 90% of the bullshit tasks out there.

Thankfully theres enough people that dont value time or whatever else out there that I can pay for all these things for less than a microbrew beer I wouldnt drink but I would buy for my friends when they come over. Mundane tasks fucking blow.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2724 on: September 29, 2017, 08:17:25 AM

I still build my own, but only because I enjoy it. I no longer build computers for other people because people suck. Except I sell whatever I upgrade from to my boss. It defrays the costs and it's less support hassles for me than the shitty Dells he was buying.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2725 on: September 29, 2017, 05:41:55 PM

I still build my own, but only because I enjoy it. I no longer build computers for other people because people suck. Except I sell whatever I upgrade from to my boss. It defrays the costs and it's less support hassles for me than the shitty Dells he was buying.

I don't build for other people because they always expect me to unfuck their fuckery after delivery.  Fuck doing tech support for retards.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2726 on: September 29, 2017, 09:52:40 PM

Yeah, people are appalling in their computer usage. That's why I bought my mom a macbook and finally convinced my dad to switch. So many fewer issues since then.

And they were relatively good, some of the support people expected when I used to build systems was just retarded. However, I priced support accordingly and recommended they seek support elsewhere, though every shop in town is now run by hucksters.

Sometimes I like to watch the public use computers, the things they click on, the amount of time playing the shittiest games....

Just kidding, they're a complete fucking nightmare and I could never watch that horrorshow.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2727 on: September 30, 2017, 03:39:42 PM

Chromebooks are the computers you buy for your problem children.  That's why my pops has one now.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2728 on: October 01, 2017, 07:48:56 PM

People over 60 today shouldn't be allowed to have anything but a smartphone. Most people over 45 shouldn't have computers either (I said most, ok)

Also, they really shouldn't drive.

Those numbers will shift upwards with our generation but the boomers, first portion of gen x and any hanger-ons from prior generations are completely fucking worthless in the 21st century. Talk about a population completely unwilling to adapt. Fuckem. And they have the gall to call late gen x through millennials lazy.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2729 on: October 02, 2017, 06:56:22 AM

why so serious?

You're adorable.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 96 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  
Jump to: