Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:58:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 96 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  (Read 853847 times)
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2555 on: November 02, 2016, 12:58:12 PM

His new PC is going to be so snappy with what he ordered that it will blow his mind, even if he skips the M.2 drive.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
schild
Administrator

Reply #2556 on: November 02, 2016, 05:51:25 PM

Oh man. The 960 is out? Huehuehuehue.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2557 on: November 17, 2016, 08:17:45 AM

Hearing more reports of EVGA 1070/1080 cards with the ACX 3.0 cooler blowing up.  This guy had his 1070 pop during a live stream and there's an active thread on their forums by a guy whose card exploded pretty violently.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2558 on: November 20, 2016, 05:24:35 AM

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($68.94 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus H170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($117.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk X400 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($259.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($0 cannibalization)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case  ($124.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME 750W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($155.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  ($19.49 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 OEM 64-bit  ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: NZXT FZ-200mm NONLED 103.0 CFM  200mm Fan  ($17.85 @ Jet)

Total: $1322.19

Am I fucking this up anywhere?

-how underpowered would my current GPU be? it seems to be time to wait for hopefully some prices to drop on the NVIDA master race side of things?

-I don't know SSD's well, help? can't tell if i've gone too cheapo with that choice though a few reviews seemed good. I know Samsung has often been the pick around here. I also was considering splitting the SSD into two SSD's if that would save money but tbh the whole M.2 thing is a bit iffy still with me so I was concerned about port/lane availability. But I'd be happy with a 500 + 200 setup (Steam and OS) if I could upgrade performance and/or save money for sure.

-did I make the right call moving from a +$10 6700K and a +$130 ASUS Z170 Deluxe setup to what I have now? I've always been aware of it but never once bothered to OC anything.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 05:29:22 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2559 on: November 22, 2016, 09:27:09 PM

A few things about your proposed build:

* You really should get a new/better GPU. This build is likely to feel more like a side-grade rather than an upgrade without a better GPU.

* Your Sandisk X400 uses a SATA interface, not PCI-e, even though it's in the M.2 form factor so you aren't getting a performance boost compared to a comparable 2.5" SSD SATA drive plugged into a conventional SATA port. You have to get an M.2 SSD that uses the PCI-e interface like an NVMe one to get that boost in speed compared to a SATA SSD.

* If you plan on keeping this build for a while you might want to get Windows 8.1 instead. Windows 7 security fixes for regular people will end January 14, 2020.

* As an FYI thing (doesn't really affect your current proposed build): the H170 supports 16 PCI-e 3.0 lanes which has to be used for multiple things including your GPU and it's likely that your GPU will actually be running on x8 instead of x16 because of that. However with your current graphics card it's highly unlikely you would notice a difference thanks to the boost in bandwidth between PCI-e 2.0 and 3.0 as you can only barely see a difference between x16 and x8 on a 1080.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2560 on: November 23, 2016, 04:42:17 PM

Thanks Trippy,

re: GPU.

I kinda knew that though the term side grade sure feels discouraging, luckily the old machine is just so long in the tooth that everything running clean and well will feel very upgrade. I just don't quite see say the GTX 950 as that tempting a buy unless there's a big price drop this weekend. I'm not going to go above 1080p gaming atm so I think sitting pat is an ok choice? If there's a particular card family I should be looking for I'd like to hear it. I know the 10XX's came out recently but I've almost never paid over $250 for a GPU and that's served me decently.

re: SSD.

Yeah oops. I'm still out of my depth on SSD's badly. I did spend some time looking around and come across people who say that game loading times just aren't taking advantage of the bleeding edge NVMe stuff. So maybe I consider a SATA 1TB SSD to be my eventual dumb storage but for now good enough? PCIe options seemed quite a price leap and fairly limited at this time.

Does that mean I might as well save $40 and get an 960GB Ultra II?

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/SanDisk-X400-256GB-vs-SanDisk-Ultra-II-240GB/m81834vs2548

If that's to be trusted it appears so?

re: Windows. I will keep the build probably into 2020 but I can always buy a diff OS along the way. The only computer parts I consider too annoying to swap is the mobo+cpu and the case. I've never heard anyone say that 8 > 7, I thought the choice was between 7 and 10 for DX12? Should I just suck it up and deal with 10 then? I haven't paid attention to 10 since back when they tried to force upgrade a lot of people and that caused me some serious headache fixing other people's machines.

re: PCIe lanes. I'm not a big fan of the sound of that if I'm sort of imagining I might use some of the lanes potentially to boost an SSD at some point though maybe I'm just inventing reasons to spend more money.

Which takes me back to too annoying to swap parts. Should I just eat the $200 or so and get the K version unlocked CPU and find a better Z170 board with a stronger feature-set?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 04:43:56 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2561 on: November 23, 2016, 09:30:21 PM

re: SSD.

Yeah oops. I'm still out of my depth on SSD's badly. I did spend some time looking around and come across people who say that game loading times just aren't taking advantage of the bleeding edge NVMe stuff. So maybe I consider a SATA 1TB SSD to be my eventual dumb storage but for now good enough? PCIe options seemed quite a price leap and fairly limited at this time.

Does that mean I might as well save $40 and get an 960GB Ultra II?

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/SanDisk-X400-256GB-vs-SanDisk-Ultra-II-240GB/m81834vs2548

If that's to be trusted it appears so?
The X400 1 TB is spec'd to be slightly faster at writes but otherwise they look comparable.

re: Windows. I will keep the build probably into 2020 but I can always buy a diff OS along the way. The only computer parts I consider too annoying to swap is the mobo+cpu and the case. I've never heard anyone say that 8 > 7, I thought the choice was between 7 and 10 for DX12? Should I just suck it up and deal with 10 then? I haven't paid attention to 10 since back when they tried to force upgrade a lot of people and that caused me some serious headache fixing other people's machines.
Windows 10 is fine if you don't mind Microsoft doing everything they can to force you give up as much information about your usage as possible. 8.1 with the Start Menu fix (or a 3rd party add-on) would be better if Microsoft spying on you bothers you.

re: PCIe lanes. I'm not a big fan of the sound of that if I'm sort of imagining I might use some of the lanes potentially to boost an SSD at some point though maybe I'm just inventing reasons to spend more money.

Which takes me back to too annoying to swap parts. Should I just eat the $200 or so and get the K version unlocked CPU and find a better Z170 board with a stronger feature-set?
If switching to a Z170 setup would significantly delay you getting a new GPU my advice would be to stick with your planned H170 setup.

Edit: wording
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2562 on: November 25, 2016, 07:33:55 AM

Ok I've made some swaps.

Swapped the cpu + mobo to 6700K + this ASUS Z170 board for that $140 increase but hopefully a worthwhile upgrade to the core of the rig.

Changed the Noctua to the D15S from the D14 for an extra $11

-William Gibson
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2563 on: November 27, 2016, 10:14:52 AM

Trippy covered all of the big stuff, but I just wanted to say that I hope you're buying that extra 200mm fan for the top - it won't fit in the side/door mount of the Phantom with a big air cooler.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2564 on: December 21, 2016, 09:52:54 PM

So decided to upgrade piecemeal and went with new keyboard and headphones first because I could use them on my current system. Got a mechanical keyboard and am liking it but it is fucking LOUD. Good thing my headphones are noise canceling.

I keep wanting to pull the trigger on a new system build but I'm caught up with a combination of analysis paralysis looking at the newest shiny component and insecurity that I will fuck up the build.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #2565 on: December 21, 2016, 10:07:57 PM

Post the specs and I'm sure people will chime in if there's anything majorly borked. Things like "that cooler can't fit into that case".  Ohhhhh, I see.

I'm still chugging along with a 5-yr old system because CPUs just haven't gotten faster (and may be about as fast as they can get, which is depressing). Best I could hope for is a ~35% theoretical boost, and that's just not worth an upgrade.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2566 on: December 21, 2016, 10:58:34 PM

Yeah, I find that my "old" i7 4770k is up to pretty much whatever I throw at it.  Hell, I even have a mobile i7 (950 maybe?) from the very first generation in my crusty old laptop, and it also still tears shit up.  I am, however, getting a new 1080 card for Christmas.  The 970 I am replacing is still a great card, but I am going all-in on VR and that should give me a huge boost.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2567 on: December 21, 2016, 11:36:58 PM

Oh I've had some good feedback from folks here so I'm not worried about technical compatibility. More just my ability to bend things and generally fuck up while devolving into being Rage Dad.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2568 on: December 22, 2016, 10:21:09 AM

Oh I've had some good feedback from folks here so I'm not worried about technical compatibility. More just my ability to bend things and generally fuck up while devolving into being Rage Dad.

It's really all in the switch type with mechanical keyboards.  I have cherry blue keys, which give me a very retro feel but are VERY loud.  Brown or red keys are both more sensitive (require less depression distance) and are a little quieter.

I've adjusted to the loudness of the keyboard, but have to use push-to-talk on all of my voice coms.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2569 on: December 23, 2016, 05:23:03 AM

Depending on the mechanical switch type, there may be some noise you can't get rid of (blue switches will always click), but you can install o-ring dampers to knock the edge off, particularly the 'clack' from bottoming out the keys.  It's a bit fiddly, since you have to pop each keycap off and put a ring on the stems.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2570 on: January 10, 2017, 06:06:27 AM

Basically what Dave said. I am however aware that long term it might be better to just get back to a desktop for gaming purposes, too. We'll see, got 4 months to figure it out (I'd buy the laptop + external gpu in Canada while I'm there).

So, arrived in the True North and I kinda dropped the external GPU idea for now but want to keep the option open by getting a laptop with the necessary ports for future investments (VR). I only play World of Warships, DotA2 and some strategy stuff anyway and none of that needs high end graphics. Kinda eyeing Asus' Zenbooks now but honestly didn't have a clue how overrun the "kind of gamer" laptop segment is, so am very open to suggestions (max 1300 USD).

Also, is there any decent price comparison site for Canada? Would I be better off buying in the US and picking it up on a planned trip anyway?

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2571 on: January 10, 2017, 07:39:51 AM

I don't know that 'VR experience' and '1300 USD for a complete system' are compatible.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2572 on: January 10, 2017, 07:46:04 AM

I don't know that 'VR experience' and '1300 USD for a complete system' are compatible.

With 'necessary ports' I meant USB 3.1 for future external GPU investments to be able to use VR.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2573 on: January 10, 2017, 08:22:21 AM

Basically what Dave said. I am however aware that long term it might be better to just get back to a desktop for gaming purposes, too. We'll see, got 4 months to figure it out (I'd buy the laptop + external gpu in Canada while I'm there).

So, arrived in the True North and I kinda dropped the external GPU idea for now but want to keep the option open by getting a laptop with the necessary ports for future investments (VR). I only play World of Warships, DotA2 and some strategy stuff anyway and none of that needs high end graphics. Kinda eyeing Asus' Zenbooks now but honestly didn't have a clue how overrun the "kind of gamer" laptop segment is, so am very open to suggestions (max 1300 USD).

Also, is there any decent price comparison site for Canada? Would I be better off buying in the US and picking it up on a planned trip anyway?
NVIDIA has their recommended "VR Ready" specs here:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/vr/system-requirements

While a mobile GTX 1060 GPU qualifies as VR Ready (assuming the rest of the laptop specs are okay) and would fall into your price range I personally would get a laptop with a GTX 1070 if I was to get another gaming laptop. The performance difference is significant.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2574 on: January 10, 2017, 09:18:36 AM

Thanks for the input but maybe to clarify again:

The laptop shouldn't be VR ready itself. All I want is a solid laptop for mostly playing non-high end stuff (so really needn't be more than a 960M I guess) but with at least 1 USB-C port for future upgrades to an external GPU which would then make it VR ready.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2575 on: January 10, 2017, 11:45:08 AM

Okay it feels to me like you are trying to "future proof" your laptop purchase for a technology (eGPU) that you don't fully understand and is also a moving target[1]. Given your large budget you may be better off just getting something now that can run VR stuff rather than paying extra later for an enclosure.

If you still want to go the eGPU route what you want is either a laptop that has a Thunderbolt 3 port (not a USB 3.1 port[2]) or an Alienware laptop with its proprietary Alienware Graphics Amplifier port, or both if you get an Alienware laptop with both a TB3 port and the proprietary amplifier port. Both TB 3 and the Alienware port provide direct access to 4 lanes of PCI-e 3.0 which is what is used to communicate with the GPU in the external enclosure. Alienware's solution has the advantage in the port is dedicated for the GPU rather than being shared with whatever else may be connected through the TB 3 port but of cousre you are tied to Alienware laptops and their enclosure.

The latest (R3) base model Alienware 13 with GTX 1050 is $999 and has both TB 3 and the Amplifier port. Otherwise here's a spreadsheet with other laptops with TB 3 or GA ports.

[1] Some older enclosures use Thunderbolt 2 but Thunderbolt 3 is the interface officially supported by Intel for eGPUs.

[2] And a Type-C port doesn't tell you if it's a Thunderbolt 3 port -- it may just be a regular USB port. I.e. Thunderbolt 3 always uses a Type-C connector (currently) but a Type-C port on the laptop may or may not support Thunderbolt 3.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2576 on: January 10, 2017, 12:21:15 PM

You're dead on in that I didn't understand the reliance on Thunderbolt and especially the USB 'behind-the-scenes' involved there...

Big Heart and thanks though, that list is gold. Now all I need is a half decent price comparison site for US and/or Canada (I am a bit spoiled by skinflint for the European market).

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #2577 on: January 10, 2017, 12:46:48 PM

You're probably better off buying it in the US if you can sneak it back across the border without paying duty. (Should be easy to do with something like a laptop as long as it's not in its original box.) Generally, Canadian prices for literally everything are higher than in the States even after the exchange rate is taken into account.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2578 on: January 11, 2017, 06:32:58 PM

So I finally, after dicking around about it for a solid 3 years, pulled the trigger and bought the components. Ended up going with this:

Corsair Carbide Clear 400C Compact Mid-Tower Case
Intel Core i5 6600K 3.50 GHz Quad Core Skylake
Gigabyte LGA 1151 Z170 2-Way SLI UEFI DualBIOS ATX DDR4 ATX DDR4
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming Video/Graphics Card
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD
Cryorig H5 Universal CR-H5A Mid Tower CPU Heatsink
EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2, 80+ GOLD 550W, 

I'll let you know how I manage to fuck up the build after giving it a go this weekend.

-H.L. Mencken
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2579 on: January 11, 2017, 06:39:44 PM

gl hf did
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2580 on: January 13, 2017, 02:37:31 PM

The geniuses at Corsair didn't include the accessory kit with the case so I don't have any screws to mount anything.  Ohhhhh, I see.

EDIT: Found em, sneaky bastages.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 02:47:19 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2581 on: January 13, 2017, 02:48:28 PM

Check everything inside the case itself to see if there's something taped inside like to a part of a drive cage.

Edit: LOL
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2582 on: January 13, 2017, 08:34:12 PM

SUCCESS!    awesome, for real

Couple of hiccups notwithstanding that were pretty easy to fix, went pretty good. Had my boy help me so he could see the process and he is charged up for us to build his next desktop.  Worst thing was my back getting sore working over the thing.

Didn't do much in the way of cable management other than kind of routing them around stuff and making sure they aren't hitting any fans.  Should I take the time to try to get them all fancy?

-H.L. Mencken
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2583 on: January 13, 2017, 09:05:13 PM

Edit: Grats!

I try to tidy up any cables that look like they may be blocking / impeding the flow of air through the case in my computers but otherwise I don't bother to make them all nice and neat looking.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #2584 on: January 13, 2017, 09:14:41 PM

Might want to make sure none of the cables will block fans if they flex in the future. That's bit me before; over time, a set of cables sagged just enough (or moved when the tower was bumped or relocated) to start clipping a fan.

Good cable routing can make future upgrades or repairs much less stressful, too. It's annoying if you have to unplug pretty much everything in order to replace the video card or add another hard drive/SSD.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2585 on: January 18, 2017, 05:47:31 AM

SUCCESS!    awesome, for real

Couple of hiccups notwithstanding that were pretty easy to fix, went pretty good. Had my boy help me so he could see the process and he is charged up for us to build his next desktop.  Worst thing was my back getting sore working over the thing.

Didn't do much in the way of cable management other than kind of routing them around stuff and making sure they aren't hitting any fans.  Should I take the time to try to get them all fancy?

Woo!  I love finishing a new build.  :)

Torinak and Trippy covered the practical reasons for cable management, but I just kinda like making things look neat and clean.  Modern cases make it pretty easy to do as well.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2586 on: January 18, 2017, 06:39:47 AM

I've been Frankensteining my case for 9 years now....it's kinda bad at this point because I've never taken the time to fix anything. I just hang parts off the side, in some cases literally. I can't put the side on it right now because my SSD drive is just hanging off because I had to use a cable from a bay that would require way too much disassembly to reroute...

It's a decent pc but laughably terrible looking.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2587 on: January 20, 2017, 06:42:49 AM

GPU question:  Is the 1070 really worth $150 more than the 1060?  The 1060 seems to be in the financial sweet spot right now.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2588 on: January 20, 2017, 09:50:40 AM

Depends on the resolution you play at and whether or not you care about your frame rate never dropping below 60 fps. The 1060, as has been the case for their x60 cards, is at the sweet spot but the 1070 is significantly more powerful with 50% more processor cores and ~75% more computing throughput because of the additional cores and wider memory bus.

Edit: typos

Edit 2: here's a review that compares the 1060 and the 1070:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-pascal,4679.html

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:57:23 PM by Trippy »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2589 on: January 20, 2017, 03:35:53 PM

Thanks a lot!

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 96 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  
Jump to: