Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:22:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow  (Read 407451 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #980 on: January 01, 2012, 08:28:04 PM

I won't be posting photos, so I'll just lose this conversation by lamely telling Ironwood to fuck off.

The utter arsehole in me is stifling the suggestion that she knew it wouldn't last.  Whoops.

You've started your 2012 with some bad karma there.

Dating someone hoping you can fix them is always a great idea.

A misinterpretation of my post. I emphasised that losing weight is not something you can try to make someone do. However, in the context of online dating, looking for women who are the perfect weight may not be the best approach.

You should find a relationship with someone you're attracted to and have a connection with. I pointed out that your partner might lose weight. He or she may also gain weight or change in other ways, along with all the other challenges life may throw at a long term relationship, as the unhappily married assholes who've never done any online dating keep reminding us in the online dating thread.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 09:08:29 PM by Tale »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #981 on: January 02, 2012, 02:49:47 AM

You guys are taking this waaaaay too seriously.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #982 on: January 03, 2012, 06:46:21 AM

Hearing others' take on online dating is so much more fun than actually doing it would ever be.  Thank you, f13.

Popcorn

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #983 on: January 03, 2012, 07:04:37 AM

Not really related to online dating but general dating so I'll tell my short story anyways. Had a really great connection with the girl I sat next to on my flight from Newark to Memphis. Non-stop conversation for the entire flight, so comfortable that the flight attendant thought we were already dating and flying together. We both had a layover in Memphis so I took her out to dinner, contemplated missing my connecting flight. Too bad I don't live in Missouri.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #984 on: January 03, 2012, 07:14:17 AM

Not really related to online dating but general dating so I'll tell my short story anyways. Had a really great connection with the girl I sat next to on my flight from Newark to Memphis. Non-stop conversation for the entire flight, so comfortable that the flight attendant thought we were already dating and flying together. We both had a layover in Memphis so I took her out to dinner, contemplated missing my connecting flight. Too bad I don't live in Missouri.

Some of my best dates were with girls I couldn't possibly see long term; how wonderfully open they were for the 48 hours they lasted. Not dissing your good time, btw, but there's a huge difference in one's mentality while traveling that allows for this sort of thing.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #985 on: January 03, 2012, 07:23:08 AM

Hearing others' take on online dating is so much more fun than actually doing it would ever be.  Thank you, f13.

Popcorn
So it's like Eve.

"Me am play gods"
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #986 on: January 03, 2012, 07:24:59 AM

Popcorn
So it's like Eve.

Rimshot

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #987 on: January 03, 2012, 07:47:00 AM

Some of my best dates were with girls I couldn't possibly see long term; how wonderfully open they were for the 48 hours they lasted. Not dissing your good time, btw, but there's a huge difference in one's mentality while traveling that allows for this sort of thing.

Not just the women who are more open.  You may be too.  I had the same "flight magic" with a nice girl from NYC to Nantucket.  Called her up after we were both back in the city.  Dated for a few weeks but it didn't work out.  I am not the same guy I was on the plane that night and it set the wrong expectations.

I have never played WoW.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #988 on: January 03, 2012, 08:11:02 AM

Not just the women who are more open.  You may be too.  I had the same "flight magic" with a nice girl from NYC to Nantucket.  Called her up after we were both back in the city.  Dated for a few weeks but it didn't work out.  I am not the same guy I was on the plane that night and it set the wrong expectations.
Was she disappointed to find out you weren't from Nantucket?

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #989 on: January 03, 2012, 08:20:35 AM

5 stars for that one.

I have never played WoW.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #990 on: January 03, 2012, 10:18:07 AM

Okay, so date #7 turns out to be a manager of flight attendants and has that "air hostess you were checking out on the flight" look. She was fun too. Second date to happen when she's home again next week, and there's the downside in a nutshell, but hey.

I should mention for context that I'm in my early 40s and the women I'm dating tend to be in their mid to late 30s. I may not have lived your Casanova past, but to get here, I lost a serious long term relationship. I don't wish that on anyone, but there's only so much value in "here, let me tell you about women, son" replies from guys looking back on their youth. What happens is, the offers you thought you had when you were the attached guru king of the world fade away and you're just a 40something messing with online dating. And you're probably balding, greying and not as fit as you used to be, so look after your existing relationship and live online dating vicariously through another person's fuckups.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #991 on: January 03, 2012, 12:05:08 PM

So try to reschedule?  It's not like she stood you up. 

Cancelling day of is pretty much standing someone up. Also, I sent her a message and got nothing back. It was the obvious non-confrontational blowoff.

Sounded more to me like she was married. Or already dating.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #992 on: January 03, 2012, 01:47:22 PM

Yeah Haemish I assumed already dating as well. Married? Never got that impression, but who knows.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #993 on: January 04, 2012, 06:30:10 AM

I peruse OkCupid once a while when bored to shit at work. I find it interesting, how literary a lot of women in Europe seem to be. Most of them are always listing shit like Tolstoy, Nietzsche, Kant and shit like that. I have yet to meet ANYONE of ANY gender that actually read anything like this at all, except those dweebs in school.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #994 on: January 04, 2012, 06:35:12 AM

I peruse OkCupid once a while when bored to shit at work. I find it interesting, how literary a lot of women in Europe seem to be. Most of them are always listing shit like Tolstoy, Nietzsche, Kant and shit like that. I have yet to meet ANYONE of ANY gender that actually read anything like this at all, except those dweebs in school.

Almost every one of the profiles I read of women in the Pittsburgh area has them as either a theater, english/literature/writer, or art (graphic design or otherwise) person. There seems to be an overabundance of these types in my area on there...wondering if it is all a ploy or if these types of people are just more oriented to using Online Matchmaking.

Funny in that none of them reply, even for small talk and chatting - even to the most mundane of messages.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
schild
Administrator

Reply #995 on: January 04, 2012, 06:52:02 AM

None of those girls read or remember any of that shit. It's a scam.

Do they call themselves down-to-earth intelligent girls?

That means they're ugly and boring.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #996 on: January 04, 2012, 08:00:43 AM

That means they're ugly and boring.

I would happily take ugly and boring at this point in my life.  Seems most of the attractive single women that I meet are single because they are a) psycho, b) drama queens, c) high maintenance, or d) all of the above. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #997 on: January 04, 2012, 08:51:48 AM

Pretty, Intelligent, Sane.  Pick two.

Total generalization, but holds up more often than not.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #998 on: January 04, 2012, 09:05:55 AM

Pretty, Intelligent, Sane.  Pick two.

Total generalization, but holds up more often than not.

I'll take intelligent and sane. Just don't weigh more than me unless you are taller. That's my rule.

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #999 on: January 04, 2012, 09:22:26 AM

I read lots of profiles.  I found them practically worthless in accurately describing reality.  In the end, I was more concerned with reading them for punctuation and spelling accuracy than I was for any hint of what the person was really about.  There are *ahem* a lot of well-traveled, independently wealthy, philanthropic intellectuals in profiles.  This is not necessarily a description of who the woman is, but rather who she envisions she'll be when she lands The Most Interesting Man in the World.  Basically, she's just aiming high.  And I guess she can't be faulted too much for dreaming.  But you know, after reading so many and finding them misleading virtually every time, you can understand how one might become a little jaded.  I'm sure dudes do it too.  Like I said earlier, lower your expectations.

AKA Gyoza
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1000 on: January 04, 2012, 09:36:37 AM

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1001 on: January 04, 2012, 09:38:48 AM

Bah, madtv?  There was a Jon Lovitz SNL bit with the catchphrase "Women over 30, lower your standards".
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1002 on: January 04, 2012, 09:41:42 AM

I'm sure dudes do it too. 

Most of the girls I've met from the Internet have expressed surprise that I'm actually 6'1" like my profile says.  Apparently most guys advertise themselves as a few inches taller than they are.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1003 on: January 04, 2012, 10:03:13 AM

I'm sure dudes do it too. 

Most of the girls I've met from the Internet have expressed surprise that I'm actually 6'1" like my profile says.  Apparently most guys advertise themselves as a few inches taller than they are.

Yes... by a lot.  A husband of a former coworker of mine insisted he was 5'-8" (so he could be 3" taller than his wife.. who towered over him if she wore heels.)   I'm somewhere around 5'-10" to 5'-11" and I was about 6" taller than him.  I'd always just nod and smile.

I seem to recall reading that tall men on the other hand will fudge to the short end if they're in the "wow you're tall" range that will scare some women off because they'll be almost 18" shorter.  Guys over 6'-6" saying they're 6'-2" etc.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1004 on: January 04, 2012, 10:23:58 AM

I read lots of profiles.  I found them practically worthless in accurately describing reality.

This.  Which is why I wen't on so many coffee dates before I met my wife.  10 minutes of talking at Starbucks told me infinitely more about them than all the paragraphs of nonsense they wrote.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1005 on: January 04, 2012, 11:40:43 AM

My biggest pet peeve is when women on the profiles spend inordinate amounts of time on their movies, books, music section but spend a sentence on what people notice about them or what they are doing with their lives.

Because I really could give two damns about every stupid band you follow thanks.

Oh, and if I read "my eyes" on the first thing people notice about you section, I'm not talking to you.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1006 on: January 04, 2012, 11:42:07 AM

My biggest pet peeve is when women on the profiles spend inordinate amounts of time on their movies, books, music section but spend a sentence on what people notice about them or what they are doing with their lives.

It's because most of them won't have much to talk about concerning what people notice about them once they get past the "my fat ass" part.  It's a distraction technique.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1007 on: January 04, 2012, 11:53:24 AM

Because I really could give two damns about every stupid band you follow thanks.

Oh, and if I read "my eyes" on the first thing people notice about you section, I'm not talking to you.

This really does depend on how big their eyes are. If you are across the room from me and I notice your eyes before your physical form, then something is wrong....

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1008 on: January 04, 2012, 12:41:45 PM

How about "my height?" Because that's what my answer would be!  why so serious?

This thread makes me love Ingmar all the more, he should be glad it exists.

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1009 on: January 04, 2012, 12:46:07 PM

My height is totally acceptable.

"My eyes" says one of two things about you. 1 - You are unoriginal, or 2 - You have no clue.

There is the outlier of people who have piercing blue or green eyes that happen to also model on the weekends. They aren't likely on OkCupid.

For once, I want someone to put "My large ass." I would buy that lady a drink just for the honesty.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1010 on: January 04, 2012, 12:52:02 PM

I honestly think if you really want a hell of an insightful profile, you need your best friend of the opposite sex to write your profile for you.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1011 on: January 04, 2012, 12:56:26 PM

I'll just have Ingmar write mine.  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1012 on: January 04, 2012, 01:05:17 PM

I honestly think if you really want a hell of an insightful profile, you need your best friend of the opposite sex to write your profile for you.

A few guys I know who had their profiles heavily edited by female friends found steady girlfriends quite quickly.

I have never played WoW.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1013 on: January 04, 2012, 01:20:07 PM

I've used and judged others in Okcupid threads on another forum and it was hugely helpful.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1014 on: January 04, 2012, 02:42:49 PM

Bah, madtv?  There was a Jon Lovitz SNL bit with the catchphrase "Women over 30, lower your standards".

On a related note :  Women, Sort Yourselves Out

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow  
Jump to: