Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:16:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Launched 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Launched  (Read 45621 times)
Astorax
Contributor

Reply #70 on: January 04, 2010, 01:56:20 PM

They boost your relative elo scores so drastically when you queue as groups I'm incapable of grouping with people I know because it puts me against people I stand no chance whatsoever against.

I only really have that problem in 5 man queues for some reason, usually I win my solo queues, do well in 2-4 man queues and get crushed in 5 man queues.

If I'm queued with someone of like-level, it's like you say, 5-person queue sucks balls, less is mostly okay...but lately I've been trying to join forces with a buddy who's just starting out, and for some reason I get 5-man pre-mades that are all my level...so we lose....badly.

THat's where I THINK their bug is.  It doesn't look at relative levels for queue purposes to avoid exploiting of having like, a 5-man team where one player is low level to bring down the average level of the group...but in smaller queues (2 or 3) it doesn't go over so well.  I need to grab Feak and bash some sense into him and see what they're doing.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: January 06, 2010, 12:57:22 PM

If I'm queued with someone of like-level, it's like you say, 5-person queue sucks balls, less is mostly okay...but lately I've been trying to join forces with a buddy who's just starting out, and for some reason I get 5-man pre-mades that are all my level...so we lose....badly.

THat's where I THINK their bug is.  It doesn't look at relative levels for queue purposes to avoid exploiting of having like, a 5-man team where one player is low level to bring down the average level of the group...but in smaller queues (2 or 3) it doesn't go over so well.  I need to grab Feak and bash some sense into him and see what they're doing.

Man, I was just in the same boat over the last couple of days. I had a buddy come visit and we played a lot of LoL. We'd just arrange a 2 man team and hit the queue. In the 14 or so games we played, I think we won 2. I have no idea how that even happens, but it sure as hell did. And it's not like it was us two sucking really bad and pulling the entire team down. We're talking EVERYONE being low leve/terrible on the team we're on.

I'm level 30 and he was level 6ish when we got started. That has to be where the issue is. His level seems to match us up on the same team with other low levels, but it doesn't seem to have much of an effect on the levels of the other team.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 12:59:22 PM by Ozzu »
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #72 on: January 06, 2010, 03:14:44 PM

Make a new guy and PUBSTOMP

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #73 on: January 06, 2010, 09:42:20 PM

I've seen people post that for premades the highest ELO is weighted much more heavily, its not like a straight average.  But I like the MM system, its a hell of a lot better then not having one (dota) so I never bothered to slog through the How Matchmaking Works thread.

I've seen the complaint several times though that training new players is impossible in normal games because the MM sets you up to get faceraped.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: January 13, 2010, 02:07:15 PM

So I made a few posts in various places today that basically commented on how Riot has released lots of champions and skins in an effort to sell as many riot points as they can.  But 3 months after "release" if you are playing normal games you still only have one mode of play on one map.  I didn't consider any of the posts to be flaming or trolling, I wrote them out fairly civilly and every one was removed in probably less than an hour from posting.  awesome, for real

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
schild
Administrator

Reply #75 on: January 13, 2010, 03:13:34 PM

Did you make any on the only site that matters (the official one)?
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: January 13, 2010, 03:29:11 PM

Did you make any on the only site that matters (the official one)?

Sorry, thought that was assumed.  All of the replies were on the official forums, I just meant in a few different threads when I said various places.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:34:29 PM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
schild
Administrator

Reply #77 on: January 13, 2010, 03:46:55 PM

Odd, Pendragon doesn't normally just delete stuff. I wonder what set them off considering half the posters are quite obviously illiterate.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: January 15, 2010, 07:15:03 PM

Neato, I do like the new "Most Played Champion" info thing.  I'm 59 - 29 with Alistar  awesome, for real

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: January 23, 2010, 11:45:55 PM

So, I just got going with this game, and while I played a bit of DotA, the guides I'm reading (and even the Riot store) use a lot of jargon that I'm not familiar with.  Some of these things I know from other games (tank, mage, etc.) some I can guess at (jungling means creeping, basically?) and some I don't really know (pusher?  carry?).  Anyone intro guide for this game?  Or have any obvious tips for newbies that I may have missed?  I hit up a few wikis, but they generally just have hero specific strategy guides and builds, and don't cover much of the basics of the game.  Plus, a lot of the specific stuff (as far as I can tell) is a few patches out of date.
Astorax
Contributor

Reply #80 on: January 24, 2010, 01:11:27 AM

So, I just got going with this game, and while I played a bit of DotA, the guides I'm reading (and even the Riot store) use a lot of jargon that I'm not familiar with.  Some of these things I know from other games (tank, mage, etc.) some I can guess at (jungling means creeping, basically?) and some I don't really know (pusher?  carry?).  Anyone intro guide for this game?  Or have any obvious tips for newbies that I may have missed?  I hit up a few wikis, but they generally just have hero specific strategy guides and builds, and don't cover much of the basics of the game.  Plus, a lot of the specific stuff (as far as I can tell) is a few patches out of date.

Carries are in DotA too...basically high dps, squishy characters that are meant to "carry" the team to victory mid-late game.

Pushers are really good at lane pushing...basically, pushing towers.

Jungling is indeed creeping.  Just like in DotA, there are some characters (Warwick is a good example) that can spend all their time in the jungle early game and level and obtain gold just as fast as they could in a lane.

As far as basical skills/suggestions...look at the suggested items for your characters you pick.  They're not always right (and are often not totally the best builds) but in terms of starting out, it's awesome for figuring out what items live where, and what builds into what.  Unlike in DotA, there's no denying...so focuis on harassing and last hitting enemy creeps in lane basically.  There's a much heavier emphasis on harassment in LoL than DotA IMO, although I know some would disagree with me.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #81 on: January 24, 2010, 09:02:42 AM

Carries don't have to be squishy. I guess many of them do stay kinda squishy, though.
Xeyi
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: January 24, 2010, 05:17:48 PM

Anyone intro guide for this game? 

About the nearest thing I can find is this from the main site.  It's a bit on the basic side though.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: January 27, 2010, 02:12:08 PM

Okay, this "matchmaking" stuff is bullshit.  Putting aside the fact that having individual rankings in an "unranked" 5v5 pug only game is completely  swamp poop, I had a ten game winning streak when I was level twelve.  Hit level thirteen, and immediately lost my next game, and every game after that so far.  If this game is supposed to be based on a 50/50 chance to win any given game, the odds of my getting the same ten results in a row is something like one in five hundred and twelve, it shouldn't be happening every fucking time.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: January 27, 2010, 02:15:36 PM

I think 13 is when you leave "newbie island." Up until then you are matched mostly against other newish people. Now you're in with the general populace. As you get better and the system figures out generally what you can handle it will even out. When a lot of us started newbie island only lasted till level 7 or 8 I think, so we were introduced to the ass kicking majority a bit sooner.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: February 10, 2010, 05:19:36 PM

Wish PRTSCRN worked in game, just played a game against a very pink haired Tristana.

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: February 10, 2010, 07:52:02 PM

Ahhh, the Facebook skins are rolling out. I need to go friend them.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #87 on: February 10, 2010, 08:18:28 PM

Oh yeah, fuck.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Kageh
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: February 11, 2010, 01:46:50 AM

Ahhh, the Facebook skins are rolling out. I need to go friend them.

Facebook skins? I'm a Facebook luddite! What do I need to do? Become a fan of LoL there?
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #89 on: February 11, 2010, 07:13:12 AM

Damn, forgot how much I enjoy this game.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: March 16, 2010, 05:12:28 PM

I'm curious, anyone as an idea of how much money they are making?
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: March 24, 2010, 05:44:35 AM

Flash range is being reduced AGAIN in patch notes, they should just get it over with and remove the spell.

Shaco is also getting increased range on two-shiv.  Head scratch

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: March 24, 2010, 06:27:53 AM

Wow really? Out of all the champs that don't really need love.......

I mean, Eve coulda used some more range on her hate spike maybe!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: April 01, 2010, 07:03:48 PM

I present to you...what I believe was my first ever game as Shaco -

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: April 02, 2010, 05:59:18 AM

Love the capes :)

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: April 02, 2010, 06:20:17 AM

Love the capes :)

It's amazing how effective it is.  Shaco with 3-4k hp, doing 240 damage passive damage to you per second with his clone up before he even starts dropping jack in the boxes or two shiving you.  No one on the other team could touch me and I took them mostly 3v1 in one fight near the end.

Some people are saying the clone doesn't carry the sunfire damage but we saw for sure it does this game.  Mord escaped me one fight only to have my clone chase him and kill him with passive damage.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: April 02, 2010, 06:28:32 AM

Makes me wanna try em...sounds too fun.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: April 02, 2010, 07:06:17 AM

It seems that almost any character that can be hard to kill in 5v5 and can do damage is almost broken in 3v3.  Shaco, Mundo, Jax, I'm guessing Cho would do very well etc.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: April 02, 2010, 07:44:24 AM

So our joke about running all tanks in Sunfires.....could work??? :) Oh wait, you said can do damage.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: April 02, 2010, 09:28:42 AM

Chogath, Mundo and Rammus with sunfires could be very fun.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: April 13, 2010, 04:46:36 PM

I'm staring to wonder if Riot honestly realizes how bad their uptime is and how amateur it makes them look or if it's just like a joke around the office "LoL guys, servers are down again!"

Then you can't even check the server status forums because they are borked too.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: April 13, 2010, 05:18:17 PM

I'm staring to wonder if Riot honestly realizes how bad their uptime is and how amateur it makes them look or if it's just like a joke around the office "LoL guys, servers are down again!"

I wonder if something in the last patch borked it; I hadn't noticed it being this bad before then.  Maybe the game just hit some critical population threshold or something.  But yeah, this is getting bad.  What is it, four or five of the last seven days it's been down?  You'd think this would be a priority fix for them, not just "sorry, any boosts you purchased will be extended for two hours to cover the downtime, see ya".
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: April 13, 2010, 05:28:12 PM

I wonder if something in the last patch borked it; I hadn't noticed it being this bad before then.  Maybe the game just hit some critical population threshold or something.  But yeah, this is getting bad.  What is it, four or five of the last seven days it's been down?  You'd think this would be a priority fix for them, not just "sorry, any boosts you purchased will be extended for two hours to cover the downtime, see ya".

I've heard many a Riot fanboi scream that boost time isn't lost when the server is down but I've never checked it myself.

Astorax
Contributor

Reply #103 on: April 14, 2010, 11:10:08 AM

I've heard many a Riot fanboi scream that boost time isn't lost when the server is down but I've never checked it myself.

They SAY they extend the boost timers every time the servers go down, but like you, I haven't checked.  But then, I don't buy boosts anymore either.

Also it's definitely something in the last patch.  Downtime this iteration is terrbile, but it's been really good before this.  Before it was scheduled downtime almost 100%, they had very few unintended downtimes.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: April 15, 2010, 05:57:32 PM

Apparently I can watch both golems at the same time now if I have wards down, who knew?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:46:36 PM by Thrawn »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Launched  
Jump to: