Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:47:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: what's next, the five point line? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what's next, the five point line?  (Read 9089 times)
ghost
The Dentist

on: October 16, 2009, 08:15:47 AM

bullshit rule

I can't believe this.  This is like giving the NFL five downs or four strikes in baseball.  Give me a fucking break.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 08:21:07 AM

I didn't think the NBA could be more clownshoes. Obviously I was wrong.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 08:21:45 AM

It's all in the interpretation. They've always allowed 2+ plus steps for anyone driving to the basket.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 08:40:11 AM

Patrick Ewing did this for years and it was never called. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 08:50:07 AM

Now they will stretch it even further. Guys will be able to get to the rim from the 3 point line without a dribble. It is fucking retarded. Having those hillbillies steal our team definitely has a silver lining of not having to watch this terrible league any longer.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 09:06:37 AM

Patrick Ewing didn't even know how to dribble.  It is different that they have changed an inherent rule upon which the game was based.  This isn't like changing up goaltending.  It is bullshit.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 09:10:19 AM

Crab-dribble protectionism.  Game will look pretty dumb in action this year.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 10:14:51 AM

Crab-dribble protectionism.  Game will look pretty dumb in action this year.

So they're essentially turning the game into "shoot from the 3 or drive to the basket - what's passing?"

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 10:37:06 AM

So they're essentially turning the game into "shoot from the 3 or drive to the basket - what's passing?"

I expect the same thing to come to baseball soon.  People are so in love of the long ball that it's only a matter of time before they adopt 70 mph pitching machines.

How about hockey games that have 3 round boxing matches during resurfacing?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 10:59:09 AM

They've been letting people do that 'gathering' thing as long as I've been not-really-watching the NBA. Its the main reason college ball is so much better and has been for decades. This just seems to codify that reality.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 02:35:43 PM

I was never an NBA fan, so this won't make me watch less regular season than my current zero. However, I would mildly pay attention in the playoffs, and that's going to stop now. College continues to be king in my book.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 11:32:23 PM

I think they should do what George Carlin once suggested and make shots taken from the complete opposite end of the court count for 50 points.  awesome, for real

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 10:51:22 AM

Unlike the shit going on in the other sports, hockey can always use more fighting (of any kind) because hockey is so godawful boring.

Really, every sport needs more fighting. Including boxing. Not being able to kick someone in the nuts is bullshit.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 03:55:34 PM

Unlike the shit going on in the other sports, hockey can always use more fighting (of any kind) because hockey is so godawful boring.

Really, every sport needs more fighting. Including boxing. Not being able to kick someone in the nuts is bullshit.

You live in Austin, you should check out a Dynamo game. It's not a match without a kick to the nuts and/or  bench clearing brawl
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 11:54:30 PM

I would if it were any sport other than soccer. Soccer is meant for playing, not watching. Shame, that.

I was hoping it was roller derby with weapons or something.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 03:09:49 AM

Wait a sec...people still watch the NBA? Wow..

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 10:21:09 AM

It's the only thing I have left when the Angels choke and I'm not rooting for someone to break Tom Brady's face.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 10:41:11 AM

Not until the playoffs.  I pretend those first 80 odd games don't exist. Even then, I manage to get NBA fatigue before the Finals.

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 11:01:29 AM

Hockey is worse.  I swear that every team except 2 make it into the playoffs. 

Hey... professional sports... if your post season is longer than your preseason, it's not really a postseason!

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 11:34:29 AM

Larger playoff pools keep fans more involved in their teams. If you've got 32 teams, and only 4 of them make the playoffs every year, then you've got a LOT of teams who's seasons are effectively over well before they end officially.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 11:52:46 AM

and I'm not rooting for someone to break Tom Brady's face.

I think that's an automatic 15 yards now, just the thought by an opposing player about this.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 12:12:33 PM

This just seems like a confirmation of what they've been allowing for years anyway.  It'll only really change if they start to unofficially allow three steps.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 03:15:14 PM

College isn't that great. They also have their stupid rules that ruin it's game (3 pt length in particular)

This is strange though. I feel even as a regular avg joe player, I could never incorporate "traveling" in my game. I'm just programmed to limit myself a certain way.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 07:46:54 AM

Basketball, in general, has become a bit of a joke.  I grew up a college basketball fan and any more I don't even pay attention.  Now college football rules the roost for me.

Interesting read on some additional reasons why the NBA sucks.

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 06:52:45 AM

Of course, then there's reasons why the NBA rocks.

Like Brandon Jennings.

And Rasho.  http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=948187&start=30#p20871336   Let's NBA! 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:56:24 AM by trias_e »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: what's next, the five point line?  
Jump to: