Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:39:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Character Screenshots 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Character Screenshots  (Read 104891 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: October 21, 2005, 11:30:42 PM

Reyzel (13, Empathy / Dark Miasma)

You spelled "Goth Grrl" wrong...really wrong. Ha ha...no, I do not have anything to add to this discussion other than looking at these screenshots is fun although I've never touched CoH or CoV..

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #106 on: October 21, 2005, 11:55:31 PM

Just some shots of what CoV characters I've actually developed.

First one is just a ripoff of Kakashi from Naruto... cause I wanted to.

Next is my Claws Stalker who will be called Striga.  For some reason, Strix was taken but Striga wasn't. (They mean the same thing, but Striga is a name actually used in the game.. Strix isn't.)

This one is my first whack at designing Horde, but I'll probably end up with something closer to the above Kakashi ripoff, didn't really care for this came out (but it displays the new /em ledgesit emote so I'm putting it up anyways)

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
schild
Administrator

Reply #107 on: October 21, 2005, 11:59:33 PM

The fact you were able to ripoff Kakashi so well bothers me. I don't need to run around an MMOG with people dressed as ninjas without ninja abilities.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #108 on: October 22, 2005, 01:20:51 AM

Actually he's a ninja mastermind.  The concept I have is similar to Multiple Man- a mutant with the ability to create duplicates of himself.  Course, they're not exact duplicates so I have to tweak the exact nature of the power, but there you go.

The Ninjutsu secondary for Stalkers actually does resemble Naruto-ninja-ness somewhat.  You do the "stand up straight, make a symbol with hands" pose for a few powers.  I thought it would be great to have a self-rez power that made your corpse poof in a cloud of smoke and a sliced log appear in its place, and you drop from above... but they didn't do that.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
schild
Administrator

Reply #109 on: October 22, 2005, 01:29:27 AM

Actually he's a ninja mastermind.  The concept I have is similar to Multiple Man- a mutant with the ability to create duplicates of himself.  Course, they're not exact duplicates so I have to tweak the exact nature of the power, but there you go.

In other words....Kakashi. I'm calling shenanigans. This isn't a concept you have. It's Naruto transplanted in City of Heroes. Also, it's Kage Bunshin no Jutsu.

The Ninjutsu secondary for Stalkers actually does resemble Naruto-ninja-ness somewhat.  You do the "stand up straight, make a symbol with hands" pose for a few powers.  I thought it would be great to have a self-rez power that made your corpse poof in a cloud of smoke and a sliced log appear in its place, and you drop from above... but they didn't do that.

Kawarimi would make baby jesus cry. I haven't watched or read any Naruto since roughly episode 60/manga issue 100, but I really don't want any of that shit in City of Villains. I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of it.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #110 on: October 22, 2005, 01:39:37 AM

Sho Kusugi. Lee Van Cleef.

* I have nothing else to offer.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #111 on: October 22, 2005, 01:48:53 AM

In other words....Kakashi. I'm calling shenanigans. This isn't a concept you have. It's Naruto transplanted in City of Heroes. Also, it's Kage Bunshin no Jutsu.

Kakashi makes duplicates?  I'm like 4 or 5 episodes into Naruto.  He just barely revealed that he has that copy-eye thingy.  I haven't seen him make any duplicates.  Lots of replacements, though.

schild
Administrator

Reply #112 on: October 22, 2005, 02:00:43 AM

Kakashi makes duplicates?  I'm like 4 or 5 episodes into Naruto.  He just barely revealed that he has that copy-eye thingy.  I haven't seen him make any duplicates.  Lots of replacements, though.

I could really fuck up the whole series for you. But I won't. No, Kakashi isn't big on duplicates, but you're a little past the fad to be making a character based on him in a game. Three years ago it  may have been ahead of the curve. That's all I'm saying.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #113 on: October 22, 2005, 02:36:26 AM

That's cool, I'm not specifically trying to copy him.  I'm specifically copying Multiple Man tongue .  I'm just likely to use gray, spikey hair and a mask.  I've actually made like 8 characters with those features (albeit, not the same mask because it wasn't available yet) but ended up deleting them all because the concept didn't click for me.  I like this concept much better.

I will certainly say that seeing Kakashi in the series gave me a better idea how to refine that look, but I probably won't go with the military vest because it's just a bit too dead-on.  That's what really makes the copy there.  Aside from that, there's little in common- Kakashi wears blue, not black, his hair goes off to one side, he has a headband and usually keeps one eye covered, his pants end just over his ankles and he has sandle-ish shoes (the Chinese pants would be good to duplicate this), plus he keeps his jacket zipped up. :)

Actually, I'll amend that- there are two things that make that copy look so dead on: the jacket, and the leaning-against-the-wall-hands-in-pockets pose.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #114 on: October 22, 2005, 04:16:16 AM

There was a fad that I never heard of?  Damn!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #115 on: October 22, 2005, 12:08:05 PM

There was a fad that I never heard of?  Damn!

It wasn't a fad, but from episode 7 til about 70 at any given time the week it came out an episode of Naruto would have about 30,000+ peers on bittorrent. Two fansub groups were releasing subs for them within 24 hours after they came out. Good subs too. Hardsubs too, which meant reencoding. The only show I've ever seen that happen for (in as high a quality) since then is Densha Otoko (the japanese live action drama) which had faster turnaround time (about 6-7 hours), but they were softsubs. Which are better if you like to set your own font.

/derail
Llava
Contributor

Reply #116 on: October 22, 2005, 02:35:23 PM

I'm just lazy and watch it on Cartoon Network.  The dubs are awful (or they are for Naruto himself, but Saske and Kakashi are pretty good), but the fights are still entertaining to watch.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #117 on: October 22, 2005, 04:37:33 PM

I've never even heard of any of that stuff.  I'm pretty sure we get Cartoon Network but I don't remember ever having watched it.  That's probably why I'm clueless when you guys talk about cartoons.  I don't read comics or go to conventions, either.  What the hell am I doing on the internet?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #118 on: October 25, 2005, 01:25:09 PM

And just like that... the game becomes Shinobi.

The scarf is a new Cape option.  There are a bunch more.

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: November 19, 2005, 02:20:16 PM

So, a bunch of my online friends from a different server decided to give the whole "themed VG" thing a kick.

Here are three of my entries in O.C.E.L.O.T. - the Outcast Catgirl Evil Legions of Terror. I bear full responsibility for the names.

Cougar Rockjaw, patterned after a certain master of the Western border. Stone/stone brute.

Sneszny Manx, a Russian emigre who got thrown in the Zig for throwing down with the Vory. The name is a rough transliteration of the Russian for "snow". Ice/cold corruptor.

And finally, Friends Forever, sharing a story with her dearest friends. (The one up front is Julio. He's grown so much.) Necro/dark mastermind.

--GF

Added note: Recall Friend is disgustingly handy for posing your minions.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #120 on: January 26, 2006, 09:49:58 PM

Realized I never did post any of my post-release villains.  These are the three looks with which I am the most happy.

Contempt
Mutant, Fire/Fire Dominator. He's a negative empath, taking the violent emotions of everyone around him and manifesting them as  physical flame. Or, as I like to call it, Ire Fire!

Strix
Magic, Claws/Ninjutsu Stalker.  "Rescued" from a fall into Hell by the spirit of Owl, chosen to be Owl's avatar, the embodiment of darkness, wisdom, and death.

Horde
Science, Ninja/Poison Mastermind.  An alchemist searching for the Panacea (for what reason I have yet to determine- maybe he was infected with Shift and needs it to reverse the process, maybe for the immortality, maybe even to save someone else), he uses psuedosentient creatures called Homunculi and a myriad of toxins and serums to devastating effect. He almost completely rejects modern science, considering it short-sighted and, largely, a sham.

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: January 26, 2006, 10:31:04 PM

Dig those characters, Llava. 

Not going pay 40 for the game anytime soon, but I'll definitely check it out if Cryptic ever offers a trial for CoV.  Zombie mastermind, mmmm
schild
Administrator

Reply #122 on: January 26, 2006, 10:35:10 PM

The collector's edition of City of Heroes just dropped at EB/Gamestop to $29.99 new.
Miscreant
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: January 27, 2006, 10:19:30 AM

You know Llava got in early after the Great Name Free-up to have "Contempt" and "Horde".   Good screenshots -- especially the one with arms-crossed.  He's looking Contemptlative.  Get it? Contempt-lative!  I made that up myself!  Contempt-lative!  Priceless!

Llava
Contributor

Reply #124 on: January 27, 2006, 10:35:35 AM

Oddly enough, Horde was available before the name wipe.  I was shocked, too.  More than a year of people snapping up names, and no one hung on to Horde.

However, before the name wipe, "Strix" was taken.

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: April 09, 2006, 04:08:56 AM

Brazen Tooth, Blade/EA Stalker on Victory.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Llava
Contributor

Reply #126 on: April 09, 2006, 01:25:21 PM

He's very buff for someone who sneaks around and pokes people.

Contempt got changed a while ago- Fire Control just really isn't a very good set, in my opinion.  Not until you get the pets, anyhow.  Got tired of trying to work with it and swapped to ice.  Naturally, I had to change the colors to fit.

Also added spikes to the belt and gloves.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 01:45:53 PM by Llava »

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: April 10, 2006, 07:07:25 AM

He's very buff for someone who sneaks around and pokes people.

With armored legs/boots and a "tight" upper body, I had to buff up his chest and shoulders to look proportional.  And compared to the average tanker/brute, he's far from massive.  So far (just level 7) I really like Stalkers, they're closer to what I was trying to make with with DM/regen Scrapper with Stealth.  This guy was originally EM/EA but I re-made him.  Punching just seemed wrong for an assassin.

-Numtini
Llava
Contributor

Reply #128 on: April 10, 2006, 01:02:43 PM

I don't think I've ever used armored legs.  They just don't look right to me.

ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: April 10, 2006, 01:59:43 PM

Punching just seemed wrong for an assassin.

He's not just punching. He's punching with Pink Pom-Poms of Doom!
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: April 11, 2006, 03:10:38 AM

Punching just seemed wrong for an assassin.

He's not just punching. He's punching with Pink Pom-Poms of Doom!

Yeah, that didn't help either. 

-Numtini
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: April 18, 2006, 07:25:22 AM

Stalkers have disappointed me.  Lots of front-loaded damage but then you're just sort of flailing around, breaking even after fighting whites and yellows.  Trying a Tech Brute now, I'll post an image later.

-Numtini
Llava
Contributor

Reply #132 on: April 18, 2006, 09:38:36 AM

Stalkers are definitely not the best for soloing.  It gets better later on, once you've got your SOs and such.  You can start to scrap a bit. It also depends on your sets (Regen is better at Scrapping, for instance).

But altogether, you're best in a team situation where you can use hit and run tactics to make the most of that assassin strike.

Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: April 18, 2006, 10:51:12 AM

I may as well jump in (finally) since I still play CoH/CoV quite a bit.

Stalkers aren't really where it's at for soloing, unless you PvP a lot. */regen stalkers can play scrapper to some degree, but lack the hit point pool to really drive the regen powers like a real scrapper can. Still, EM/regen is probably the strongest stalker for this sort of thing. Post I7, the improvement to claws may make it very strong for scrapper-like play as well.

If you really like the melee fighting and find stalkers a bit too fragile, then brutes are the place to go. */EA brutes have very stalkerish playstyles (non-suppressable stealthiness), but actually can go the distance in a scrum (usually, though like all defense sets, they suffer from Sudden Faceplant Syndrome). My own EM/EA brute is moving right along and tears through mob packs distressingly well. You have to be more careful with boss/elite boss fights, but that's part of the fun with this secondary. */EA is less good at grouping than some other secondaries, but the I7 defense changes should help with that as well.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #134 on: June 09, 2006, 09:10:01 AM

Hmm...Another rough idea for a character (Geisha)

Still not sure to go with Mastermind (Ninja sex slaves) or Stalker/Claws (heh, in case they decide to patch in "fans" as a weapon graphic replacement).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 09:16:47 AM by Stray »
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: June 18, 2006, 04:59:55 AM

May God and Blizzard's legal team have mercy on my soul.

--GF

CoH: letting you rip off other games before they technically come out!
Miscreant
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: June 18, 2006, 03:24:42 PM

If Marvel had won it's lawsuit against CoH, maybe you could have sued WoW for stealing your characters.  :)

Llava
Contributor

Reply #137 on: June 19, 2006, 09:07:17 AM

I've seen some pretty kickass costumes posted lately, and thought I'd share them here.  None of these are mine.

"A creature from the depths with the fury of the sea and the power of a tsunami. A symbiotic colony of mutant oceanic biomass from jellyfish and eels to plankton and seaweed."

Also, a manshark dude.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #138 on: June 19, 2006, 10:10:49 AM

Moar!

This is a fun thread, I'll never play such a grindy game but I like the shiney pictures thank you Llava.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: June 19, 2006, 06:50:01 PM

I agree, that Man'O'War is awesome.  I don't remember the seaweed legs from when I did the trial, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Character Screenshots  
Jump to: