Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:08:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer dev moves back to DAOC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer dev moves back to DAOC  (Read 22145 times)
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

on: September 09, 2009, 01:05:21 PM

Not that internal moves are unusual...but I can only wonder why DAOC is "staffing up" ;)

http://www.camelotherald.com/devblog/news_article.php?storyid=29

and this one...

http://www.camelotherald.com/devblog/news_article.php?storyid=28
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 01:07:53 PM by Sobelius »

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 01:40:30 PM

I can only hope that they will either finally release the server that they had mentioned in the past (Origins? it was all pre-ToA with some minor tweaks) or that they are contemplating a DAoC 2.  

I would give them my money again for either option.  

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 01:59:00 PM

I would not ever play WAR again.

I would strongly consider playing a DAoC server which had a pop of 2500+.  Although not right now.

Stupid WoW.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:46:48 PM

It's so when WAR is shut down, Mythic doesn't see all their most experienced people thrown out the door.

Or WAR has been told to cut costs now and internal restructuring is how they are doing it.

Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 08:02:42 PM

Cold, hard numbers are what cold, hard EA execs look at.

WAR is in a steep nosedive. I doubt they can avoid the ground without the wings coming off at this point.

Anyone at EA and Mythic knows there is
a. A lot of love/nostalgia/why didn't you make it like DAoC/we would play DAoC II if done right - for DAoC
b. A lot of hate/ignoring lessons learned before/wrong focus/bar-happy cockblock mentality is bad - for WAR

DAoC on life support, revitalized with Origins, or while they perhaps mull DAoC II as some WAR-DAoC phoenix - either one at least has potential for good, whereas WAR is guaranteed failure.

Making people care again about realms pride as a natural and PRIMARY force in-game is the key. It is daily dynamics of people against people that makes a game endlessly fun. No amount of content/shinies can compete with the variety based on that when done right.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 08:13:53 PM

Who really gives a shit at this point? All the kids want to know is...where is PAUL?!?!   why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 08:39:21 PM

retrenching.  Smarter than he seems maybe.  Or he's still trying to climb the greasy SWOTOR pole so he can take all the credit for it as well.   Oh wait.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 12:36:26 AM

Making people care again about realms pride as a natural and PRIMARY force in-game is the key. It is daily dynamics of people against people that makes a game endlessly fun. No amount of content/shinies can compete with the variety based on that when done right.

Making people care about your game world is a exercise in futility not learned since WoW came out because the industry has been on stasis as far as pvp is concerned. Players really care about having fun, you can tack on as much of virtual chest thumping as you like, many machoist will flock to it, but everyone else will turn their heads. Its really not a matter of getting people to hold a hill because its important and your women and children will be rapped and slaughtered and your entire race is in imperial if you DO NOT HOLD THAT HILL!! And more of a matter of how fun is holding that hill is? If not fun, don't bother, if fun then naturally people will always be trying to take the hill 24/7. But caring about their side winning?

No. Its again an exercise in futility to think that a player cares about players who aren't on their friends list/guild chat/doesn't know the vent channel. Sides in a conflict doesn't matter, making sure your group of buddies have a kick ass time mowing down the noobs does. That's what you can assume, bet your multimillion mmo on, make it accessible, and THEN make a profit that will last you longer then any pve grind fest ever will. Realm pride is bullshit and will last for 6 months at best, 2 years for nostalgia sake, and "are the servers even full?" in 3.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 12:38:39 AM by DLRiley »
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 06:13:08 AM

WAR is in a steep nosedive. I doubt they can avoid the ground without the wings coming off at this point.

Aion is wearing the wings :)
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 09:32:24 AM

I would not ever play WAR again.

I would strongly consider playing a DAoC server which had a pop of 2500+.  Although not right now.

Stupid WoW.

Ywain went live yesterday.  I haven't checked the population numbers yet, but I'm quite sure it is over 2500.  I'll check it out this evening.

Two awesome changes that went live with Ywain yesterday (there were many others):

* You can now trade BP items.  This includes ML/artifact credit tokens.  What this means is that if you have a high RR character with lots of BPs you can instantly grant an alt full ML/artifact credit and have it ready for RvR within hours.
* There's now an NPC at the borderkeeps in each realm that grant a full complement of buffs for a small fee.  These buffs are better than Potion buffs, but not as good as buffs from a buffing class.  It's still better to use a buff bot if you have one, but at least this is a step in the right direction.  Now we just have to convince Mythic to increase the value of the buffs.

most often known as Drevik
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 10:15:14 AM

Is Ywain the transfer server?  I have an RR11 druid languishing on Gareth with well over 200k BPs... it'd be amusing to have him ML 10 and fully decked out inside of 30 minutes.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 10:35:42 AM

Is Ywain the transfer server?  I have an RR11 druid languishing on Gareth with well over 200k BPs... it'd be amusing to have him ML 10 and fully decked out inside of 30 minutes.

Yes.  Also, coming from Gareth there's a quest you can do before you transfer that grants ML credit.  It's intended to ease the ML burden for the Classic folks.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 11:47:57 AM

Ywain has ToA.  This guarantees I won't play even with the 30+ level 50 geared toons I have on all servers. 

ToA can kiss my ass. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 12:15:58 PM

Ywain has ToA.  This guarantees I won't play even with the 30+ level 50 geared toons I have on all servers. 

ToA can kiss my ass. 

Why?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 12:21:04 PM

ToA can kiss my ass. 

Why?

Because TOA was, pre-WAR, Mythic's single stupidest idea ever?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 12:21:30 PM

Why?

Item procs, Item /use2, ML abilities (ML 9 pets, FZ, etc), spell piercing, stat caps, and all the other things that changed the game mechanics post SI.  I'm forgetting 90% of it as I haven't played DAoC for over a year now, but I REALLY enjoy the strategy of fights on classic servers without all of the ML abilities and gear.  

I realize that they removed the greatest majority of the ToA grind.  That's not the rub for me.  I think the post ToA gear/ability situation plays very differently from a strategic standpoint than the pre-ToA or classic rule set game does.  This is especially the case in small group, 8v8, and stealth play.

-  Mark Twain
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 12:34:30 PM

I was just curious if your particular beefs had been addressed in patches since you last played.  Many of the ML/artifact abilities have been nerfed over the years and aren't nearly as bad as they used to be.  They do still change strategy and what not by their very existence of course, but not nearly as much as they used to.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 12:44:39 PM

I was just curious if your particular beefs had been addressed in patches since you last played.  Many of the ML/artifact abilities have been nerfed over the years and aren't nearly as bad as they used to be.  They do still change strategy and what not by their very existence of course, but not nearly as much as they used to.

I realized your point as soon as I started typing my response.  The old knee-jerk response to ToA was mostly due to grind... which has been removed for the most part.  For me it was a combination of things like auras, winged helm, etc. that really altered the fundamental flow of PvP in the presence of ML's.  I also have a deep hatred for BD's with ML 9 pets. 

-  Mark Twain
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 01:48:05 PM

Oh wow yet another thread where someone e-fellates Aion!

edit: Just checked your post history. You've managed to mention Aion in game threads for Fallen Earth, Guild Wars 2, and about 900 times on Warhammer threads.  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 01:58:27 PM by waffel »
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 01:52:37 PM

What is this Ywain thing? There seems to be like 10 versions of it listed.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 01:55:52 PM

A wing job, so to speak.

"Me am play gods"
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 02:10:42 PM

What is this Ywain thing? There seems to be like 10 versions of it listed.

Ywain is a single server, but it has 10 "lobbies" clustered with it.  This enables you to have 10 toons per lobby per realm.  So I could theoretically have 100 different Albs on Ywain.  This is because many people had toons in the same realm on different servers/clusters and would not have been able to fit all their toons on a single new server.  This also enables Ywain to have 10 housing areas per realm to accomodate everyone.

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 02:23:33 PM

A wing job, so to speak.

Did you give yourself a Facepalm before or after you clicked "Post"? If not, now's a good time.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 07:23:06 PM

There's currently 2400+ on Ywain right now.  I would expect that number to continue to climb as more and more people get transferred over and settle in.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 08:05:59 PM

That's tempting. I really never got to do it the first time. I just... the game very much feels part of its time.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 12, 2009, 04:03:18 PM

As much as a DAoC 2 would be cool, given the current metrics used for a "successful" MMO, I don't think they could unlock enough budget to do the game right. All the fervor for DAoC, there were less people really into it than there are into Eve right now.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 04:06:28 AM

Who really gives a shit at this point? All the kids want to know is...where is PAUL?!?!   why so serious?

Paul is Dead.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 11:50:45 AM

Ywain is averaging over 3000 people now and there are still people xferring over and getting settled.

Dego
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 07:44:36 PM

for how long?
Makes the impression that some people are paid for these flying byes

Swordmaster in Hibernia, Stonehenge
DAOC EU-Server - No future?
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 11:49:08 PM

Ywain is averaging over 3000 people now and there are still people xferring over and getting settled.

At that rate, I'm giving it 3 months to see how many are still active at that point. That is tempting, but I've reactivated before just to regret it  Ohhhhh, I see.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer dev moves back to DAOC  
Jump to: