Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:01:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 NFL 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL  (Read 169871 times)
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #630 on: January 18, 2010, 10:30:57 AM

All due respect to the Jets; esp. their defense; coming out to San Diego and winning the game, but...

Chargers fucked themselves.  I don't expect the road team to have as many false-starts and delay-of-games.  The personal fouls / unsportsmanlike penalties were collectively unforgivable by themselves.  And we got the glaring bad call of the game in our favor (Chargers receiver fumble WTF ruled an incomplete pass after review).  I can forgive Kaeding missing the long one but not BOTH of the others.  I can forgive Rivers throwing the one pick (Revis getting a great bounce) but the other was sloppy.  Even then we're still not completely fucked until we give up the one good run the Jets had all day or until Norv misguidedly calls for the onside at the end... we stop them in 3 downs but they have the cushion to go for it on 4th and short.  Fucked.  Fucked.  Fucked.

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #631 on: January 18, 2010, 10:36:56 AM

Exactly. You SD fucked themselves because they didn't take the Jets seriously enough. I said it earlier, there's two things they're good at, pissing off their fans and pissing of the teams that sleep on them.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #632 on: January 18, 2010, 10:41:53 AM

SD fucked themselves hugely, and should be ashamed of themselves for not showing up to play and taking their opponent seriously.  As for the Jets, while there is no way on paper that they should have won this game...they did what they do and gave themselves a chance.  Whether deserved or not, I don't think you can fake your way through TWO road games and make it to the AFC Championship game.  If by some miracle - which I don't think will happen - they make it past Indy, then it's no longer in question. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #633 on: January 18, 2010, 10:44:00 AM

I completely disagree (with Haemish), but hey, let's go with it then. The Chargers fucked themselves royally. That makes them the worse team on the field, yes? The one that caved to the pressure and had a shitty game? The one that didn't play up to their potential? The one that got into the playoffs yet couldn't handle the pressure of it? Even with home field advantage?

Then it's still the better team that won. The team that didn't fuck up. The team who didn't cave under the pressure. The team that came in with a plan, stuck to it even when it was hard, and came out on top.

The Jets deserved to continue and the Chargers didn't.

But really, the Jets played a hell of a good game, never panicked and played patiently. They kept Rivers on the ropes like they wanted to and won with running and defense. Exactly what they wanted to do. You're full of shit if you don't give them credit for that.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #634 on: January 18, 2010, 12:11:51 PM

Hey, I gave them credit for NOT FUCKING UP - which is what they did. But it was by no means a sparkling game on the Jets part. As for winning two road games, yeah, I could have won that game against Cincy. Cincy played like a JV team, and I can pretty much guarantee that if that Cincy team had taken the field and played like they did last week against even last year's 0-16 Lions, the Lions wouldn't have been undefeated. The Jets could have sleptwalked through that game and won.

Now, if the Jets go in and beat the Colts, well good on them, THEN they deserve to be where they are at. But the Jets had two good drives all game, one of which was on a 20-yard short field. The Chargers handed them that win on a silver platter.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #635 on: January 18, 2010, 12:17:35 PM

I just don't know how the Jets can beat the Colts.  If they do, I'll be impressed.  First, the Colts have a very fast defense that will give the young Sanchez fits. Second, while I agree that the Jets have one of the best cover corners in the NFL, Manning just has too much savvy and too many options to be held in check.  The only hope that the Jets have is that Peyton has a REALLY bad day and Sanchez plays out of his mind. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #636 on: January 18, 2010, 12:55:07 PM

Fuck one of shittiest states in the union (Jersey) fuck the third worst group of nfl fans (Jet's fans) and fuck San Diego for keeping them in the playoffs another week.  Admittedly Sanchez has now played two games where he hit pretty much every single throw he was asked to hit.  The thing is though, the Chargers were clearly caught looking ahead and generally not playing with any composure.  As noted, what was with the 5 false starts at home, ffs.  I just feel robbed of seeing Rivers v Manning, which would have been a hell of a game and tested what I see as an overachieving Colts D.  That really pisses me off more then the fact that the Jets and their fans and their state can drown in a pool of Axe body spray.  Never have I been more annoyed with Jersey as this year thanks to that MTV show infecting every goddamn piece of pop culture I have the misfortune of still caring about.  I'm so sick of Situation references in EVERY goddamn article on espn.

How about Favre though, all you sad haters.  Man its terrible if you can't get a kick out of what this man is doing because the announcers are too high on him.  Frankly the announcers for the playoffs so far have been so terrible who cares what they are saying I stopped listening a long time ago.

With four teams left my superbowl wishes are:
-Not the Jets
-Not a win for Manning, he's the greatest QB of my lifetime without hesitation but I just can't root for him.  All the funny commercials all the smart insightful interviews all the amazing play it still adds up to a guy I just dont like to see winning.  Must be some kind of root for the underdog thing.  The Colts are just too much a squeeky clean good team/organization it annoys me.  Like the Patriots with less cheating.

I really don't know what would be more awesome between a Saints or Vikes win.  May the best team I guess.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #637 on: January 18, 2010, 01:10:56 PM

The Colts only put up 20 against the Ravens, and the Jets have a better defense than the Ravens.  They also have a better offense than the Ravens, and probably the best run-blocking offensive line in the NFL, all due respect to the Vikings.

I expect the Colts to blow them up, but who knows.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #638 on: January 18, 2010, 01:11:36 PM

Eh, I've always hated Favre. I don't care how good he is, he beat the 49ers too many times in the playoffs for me to be able to harbor any good thoughts for the guy, and that was before he started jerking the Packers around at the expense of one of my favorte Cal QBs ever.

Call it sad if you like, I never got a kick out of anything Elway ever did either.  tongue

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #639 on: January 18, 2010, 01:16:01 PM

Eh, I've always hated Favre. I don't care how good he is, he beat the 49ers too many times in the playoffs for me to be able to harbor any good thoughts for the guy, and that was before he started jerking the Packers around at the expense of one of my favorte Cal QBs ever.

Call it sad if you like, I never got a kick out of anything Elway ever did either.  tongue

You mean being forced to retire when he obviously really didn't want to? 
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #640 on: January 18, 2010, 01:30:58 PM

Facepalm

-Rasix
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #641 on: January 18, 2010, 01:47:17 PM

I missed where I said Favre wasn't any good. I just hate him and want him to fuck up.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm not counting the Jets out yet, they have got to be hungry as hell to beat the Colts "for real." Plus I would enjoy the Colts eating a karmic payback for resting their starters at the end of the season.

PS: How can anyone hate Jets fans? They are adorable pessimists.

God Save the Horn Players
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #642 on: January 18, 2010, 02:23:27 PM

LoL @ the Cowboys crying cuz the Vikes scored that final TD.
They can cry over the fact they got completely outclassed in the trenches. I don't mind a loss that had nothing to do with Romo fucking it up, so I don't have to hear about it anymore.

Uh... what? How many INT's and fumbles was Romo personally responsible for? Granted, he was running for his life most of the day, but according to the knobslobberers, that's where he is at his best.
Well not all of those were his fault either. Like the fumble caused by Jared Allen cause Jason Whitten was trying to block him *by himself*. Whitten was there to help the tackle and yet somehow the tackle missed his assignment.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #643 on: January 18, 2010, 04:28:18 PM

LoL @ the Cowboys crying cuz the Vikes scored that final TD.
They can cry over the fact they got completely outclassed in the trenches. I don't mind a loss that had nothing to do with Romo fucking it up, so I don't have to hear about it anymore.

Uh... what? How many INT's and fumbles was Romo personally responsible for? Granted, he was running for his life most of the day, but according to the knobslobberers, that's where he is at his best.
Well not all of those were his fault either. Like the fumble caused by Jared Allen cause Jason Whitten was trying to block him *by himself*. Whitten was there to help the tackle and yet somehow the tackle missed his assignment.

He threw one bad INT that was to nobody. Beyond that, any sports analyst you listen to will tell you the line was fucking awful. Oh, and losing probably the most important lineman on the field early in the game who was supposed to be blocking Jarred Allen...

Yeah, that didn't work.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #644 on: January 18, 2010, 08:44:11 PM

I was shocked how crappy SD ran the ball. Is the Jets front 4 that good or is LT that old/SD front 4 that mediocre?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #645 on: January 18, 2010, 09:07:57 PM

I was shocked how crappy SD ran the ball. Is the Jets front 4 that good or is LT that old/SD front 4 that mediocre?

I'm not. They were dead last in the NFL in average rushing yards per game. Phillip Rivers had the 3rd best QB Rating in the land. They were the very definition of one-dimensional. The team was literally the Phillip Rivers Experience with Nate Kaeding as the opening act. Both had a shitty game and they lost.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #646 on: January 19, 2010, 12:22:12 AM

heisnotLTarghghghgh

God Save the Horn Players
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #647 on: January 19, 2010, 03:30:42 AM

I disagree.  The Jets defense is vastly under-rated and they have a top notch running attack.  They are in the AFC championship game with a rookie QB, they are doing something right.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #648 on: January 19, 2010, 07:14:07 AM

I missed where I said Favre wasn't any good. I just hate him and want him to fuck up.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm not counting the Jets out yet, they have got to be hungry as hell to beat the Colts "for real." Plus I would enjoy the Colts eating a karmic payback for resting their starters at the end of the season.

PS: How can anyone hate Jets fans? They are adorable pessimists.

Favre is neither bad or good. He is streaky and inconsistent. He has flashes of perfection and then a few weeks later, his throws hang in the air like frisbees to be picked off.  The Vikes have the best RB in the league, good defense, and an experienced QB. If they can execute, they are very good. However, Favre has a tendency to believe he is Superman and that always gets him in trouble - usually when it hurts the most.

I have never played WoW.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #649 on: January 19, 2010, 07:42:42 AM

I wish I had more confidence in the Vikes to take out the Saints. Should be a hell of a game. I like the Jets, and the Sanchez story is great, but....

I really, really want a Favre vs Manning, Freeney vs Allen monster of a superbowl.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #650 on: January 19, 2010, 08:33:56 AM

So NY gets a shot at the Colts who basically allowed the Jets into the playoffs. That's a nice fate playing out there. Now, if fate really wants to twist the knife, it will be Jets vs Vikings with the Jets winning due to a Favre implosion. That's a story too outrageous to even print.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #651 on: January 19, 2010, 08:52:00 AM

So NY gets a shot at the Colts who basically allowed the Jets into the playoffs. That's a nice fate playing out there. Now, if fate really wants to twist the knife, it will be Jets vs Vikings with the Jets winning due to a Favre implosion. That's a story too outrageous to even print.

Facepalm

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #652 on: January 19, 2010, 08:57:55 AM

You shut your filthy whore mouth. That would be a worse fucking football ending than the goddamn Vikings winning due to Favre.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: January 19, 2010, 09:03:27 AM

I think now that the eventuality has been pointed out, there's a likelihood of it happening.

I was actually expecting to hear that from one of the shows discussing the playoffs, and didn't... Just copious Farve cocksucking. Hell the Vikings (+Romo meltdown) game got twice the coverage on NFL network compared to the Jets win (and it was a better game).

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #654 on: January 19, 2010, 09:16:17 AM

My hope is for the QB shootout between Manning and Brees.  Brain vs ridiculous accuracy would be a game to watch. 

I think the Colts v Jets game will be entertaining as well.  I'm interested in seeing how Manning handles the CB's of NY. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

Reply #655 on: January 19, 2010, 09:22:45 AM

I disagree.  The Jets defense is vastly under-rated and they have a top notch running attack.  They are in the AFC championship game with a rookie QB, they are doing something right.

How is the top rated defense in the league with everyone's favorite corner DARREL REVIS (that really needs fireworks shooting off it) underrated?  Just an eerily similar team to some of the Rothlesburger Steeler teams.  Except with a bigger emphasis on the running game because Sanchez isn't quite there yet.

If they manage to get out ahead, they're going to be a handful.   I just can't see this team coming back if they get down more than a touchdown and no lead is safe against the Colts.  We have seen this Colts team put up some very sad offensive efforts this year, so who knows.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #656 on: January 19, 2010, 09:24:43 AM

This Colts team is not the Colts high-powered offense of old. That's why I picked the Chargers to beat them. Well, that and Manning's propensity to have more trouble against 3-4 defenses than typical 4-3's. The Jets can most certainly beat the Colts, but god that would make for a shitty Super Bowl.

Rasix

Reply #657 on: January 19, 2010, 09:27:48 AM

Sanchez in the Super Bowl may end up putting up worse numbers than Big Ben did.

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #658 on: January 19, 2010, 11:29:04 AM

Favre is neither bad or good. He is streaky and inconsistent. He has flashes of perfection and then a few weeks later, his throws hang in the air like frisbees to be picked off.  The Vikes have the best RB in the league, good defense, and an experienced QB. If they can execute, they are very good. However, Favre has a tendency to believe he is Superman and that always gets him in trouble - usually when it hurts the most.
That's his normal modus operandi but not this season. His 7 INTs is a career low* where his average is like 17 and in only one game (vs. Arizona) did he throw more than one INT. This year when given the option between throwing it up and taking a sack he usually took a sack.

Edit: * not counting his rookie season
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:14:48 PM by Trippy »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #659 on: January 19, 2010, 11:35:34 AM

Favre has all the tools this year that he's never had before:
- decent O-line
- tall, strong WR
- outstanding RB(s) that can catch out of the backfield
- a good TE

He's had some, but not all in the past and is reaping the benefits for it.  This, an indoor home field, and a solid defense to maintain leads/keep it close doesn't hurt either.  

-  Mark Twain
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #660 on: January 19, 2010, 12:01:24 PM

Favre has all the tools this year that he's never had before:
- decent O-line
- tall, strong WR
- outstanding RB(s) that can catch out of the backfield
- a good TE

He's had some, but not all in the past and is reaping the benefits for it.  This, an indoor home field, and a solid defense to maintain leads/keep it close doesn't hurt either.  

Favre is still outstanding.  Hell just go back and look at some of his passes to Rice in that last game.  All Rice had to do was hold out his arms and the ball was there.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #661 on: January 19, 2010, 12:21:37 PM

Favre has proved this year that his O line in Green Bay was a lot worse than many of us thought. He made a lot of those INT's over the years because he had a lot less time to throw the ball. He's still a crazy ass gunslinger - he just hasn't had to sling as much this year because the O line is a fucking brick wall.

EDIT: Which makes what he did in 2007 so fucking brilliant. That O line was worse than this year's Packer line. Grant wasn't a viable option that year until about halfway through the season. He had better wideouts there than he does in Minnesota, IMO, but he always had to struggle to get it to them because of the blocking. It makes me sad to think that the Pack likely would have won the NFC that year with a better O line and an absolutely dominant Favre. That season was better than this one because of the adversity he had to face.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:23:39 PM by HaemishM »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #662 on: January 19, 2010, 12:37:41 PM

Favre was sacked 34 times this year in the regular season which is above his career average of 28. 2007 he was sacked 15 times.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #663 on: January 19, 2010, 12:42:07 PM

Favre was sacked 34 times this year in the regular season which is above his career average of 28. 2007 he was sacked 15 times.

The only offensive player to make the pro bowl for the packers in 2007 was Donald Driver (I should have checked if I got my years right).  Minnesota is sending a guard (Hutchinson) and a tackle (McKinnie) this year.  I think it's safe to say that he has a better line now.  The increase in sacks may have to do with him taking fewer risks and/or running less.

-  Mark Twain
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #664 on: January 19, 2010, 12:57:01 PM

More sacks but less INTs (7 vs 22 in 2008 or 15 in 2007).  Being sacked is almost certainly preferable to a pick.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 NFL  
Jump to: