Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 NFL 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL  (Read 169843 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #210 on: October 22, 2009, 06:00:57 PM

God Save the Horn Players
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #211 on: October 25, 2009, 02:06:47 PM

Oh dear god why do the Browns constantly look like a Div III team? Anderson...really? And to top the next embarrassing weekend off right, the Indians hire the worst Manager in the league for the next three years. Its like the whole town has a "Major League" thing going on, only without the ending...

I seriously think they should just move the team to LA now and be done with it. 10 years of toilet training and the Browns are still shitting on the carpet - time for them to leave and take the Indians with them.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: October 25, 2009, 03:14:54 PM

The Indians hired Tony LaRussa?

Edit: Minnesota lost and Farve lost the ball twice for 14 points. Let the questioning begin!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 03:22:44 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #213 on: October 25, 2009, 03:36:32 PM

The Indians hired Tony LaRussa?

Edit: Minnesota lost and Farve lost the ball twice for 14 points. Let the questioning begin!

There's no questions, he gets worse as the season goes on. It wasn't the total de-pantsing I expected, but I never thought they could beat Pittsburgh.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #214 on: October 26, 2009, 10:09:12 AM

LOVE IT. Favre loses, Green Bay wins, Saints come back from a billion points down to beat a team they shouldn't have had any trouble with in the first place. They started getting it together when they stopped throwing on every down and started ramming Mike Bell down the Fins throats on first and second down. The Dolphins had no clue how to stop the Saints then.

This was blowout weekend. Chicago gets cockpunched by the Bungles, the Raiders finally bench Jamarcus Russell and still get shutout, Kansas City still sucks as does Tampa and St. Louis. I swear this is the year when parity falls apart. We now have 3 tiers of teams - the really good (somehow), the mid-level playoff possible teams, and the really shitty shit shit shit teams. I won't be watching the Eagles dismantle this fuckawful Skins team tonight.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: October 26, 2009, 10:20:28 AM

LOVE IT. Favre loses, Green Bay wins, Saints come back from a billion points down to beat a team they shouldn't have had any trouble with in the first place. They started getting it together when they stopped throwing on every down and started ramming Mike Bell down the Fins throats on first and second down. The Dolphins had no clue how to stop the Saints then.

This was blowout weekend. Chicago gets cockpunched by the Bungles, the Raiders finally bench Jamarcus Russell and still get shutout, Kansas City still sucks as does Tampa and St. Louis. I swear this is the year when parity falls apart. We now have 3 tiers of teams - the really good (somehow), the mid-level playoff possible teams, and the really shitty shit shit shit teams. I won't be watching the Eagles dismantle this fuckawful Skins team tonight.

With next year increasingly looking to be uncapped, things could get really interesting as we'll see how much money the lower quality teams throw at free agents in an attempt to improve (It'll be a race between Al Davis and Dan Snyder to overpay the most). 
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: October 26, 2009, 10:40:14 AM

It wasn't Mike Bell that killed the Dolphins.  Yeah, the Saints were able to move the ball much, much better in the second half but the Fins still win the game if Ted fucking Ginn isn't the worst receiver in the entire NFL.  Cam Cameron's gift that keeps on giving.

Over and out.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: October 26, 2009, 10:44:11 AM

The Dolphins are going to be doing Tackle Drills all week is my guess. So many 5 yard nothing plays ended up being 30-60 yard explosions due to shitty tackling.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #218 on: October 26, 2009, 11:24:57 AM

With next year increasingly looking to be uncapped, things could get really interesting as we'll see how much money the lower quality teams throw at free agents in an attempt to improve (It'll be a race between Al Davis and Dan Snyder to overpay the most). 

Things is, both those guys have been overpaying for free agents for years. Free agents are so rarely as impactful in the NFL as they are in other sports, unless you are talking about HOF QB's like Favre. I'll laugh to see Snyder throw even more money at over the hill fuckers and barely finish 2 games below .500. Al Davis has just lost his fucking mind.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: October 26, 2009, 11:32:01 AM

Don't forget the owners that throw money at players just because they want to say that they owned/knew them.  Having no salary cap is going to open up a can of worms that may tank the NFL. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: October 26, 2009, 11:37:49 AM

The problem with Snyder is that he throws too much money at people that are not even close to being worth it.  It's ultimately a team full of fucking nobodies, except for the occasional Haynesworth.  Oakland's issues begin and end with Al Davis.  There isn't an issue with that team that can't somehow be traced right back to his special brand of madness.

I've just stated what's already blatantly obvious.  Have a good day.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #221 on: October 26, 2009, 12:55:40 PM

With no other obvious explanation for the Bears complete meltdown, I'm anxiously awaiting the discovery of what the problem with Tommie Harris is, exactly, since I've started imagining something bad happened that not only kept him out of the game (when everyone swears he's 100%) but also delivered a major blow to team chemistry in the process.

Or they just suck.

To wit:

When pressed in an e-mail about why he wouldn't play Sunday, Harris said it was because of his "sphincter," which all but nullified any validity to his original claim.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 12:58:49 PM by Sauced »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: October 26, 2009, 03:26:06 PM

The problem with the Bears, in my extremely narrow minded POV, is that now that they've begun to address their offensive issues (which I earnestly believe they have), their defense is going to complete shit.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #223 on: October 26, 2009, 03:35:31 PM

The offensive line is absolutely horrid.  Cutler essentially runs "3 step drop then roll out" plays, and Forte is being hit in the backfield on over 40% of their running plays, which is Dire.

Their defense requires pretty much "great" play up the middle.

Pretty close to Great : 2005/2006-era Tommie Harris, Brian Urlacher, Mike Brown
Not so much: Marcus Harrison, Nick Roach, Al Afalava (R)

Unless the Bengals game was a *complete fluke*, it's going to be hard to turn this around.  Now that they traded next years 2nd round pick for Gaines Adams, next April will be the second draft in a row where they don't make a pick until round 3.  Things could get a lot worse before they get better.
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: October 26, 2009, 06:29:05 PM

The offensive line is absolutely horrid.  Cutler essentially runs "3 step drop then roll out" plays, and Forte is being hit in the backfield on over 40% of their running plays, which is Dire.

Their defense requires pretty much "great" play up the middle.

Pretty close to Great : 2005/2006-era Tommie Harris, Brian Urlacher, Mike Brown
Not so much: Marcus Harrison, Nick Roach, Al Afalava (R)

Unless the Bengals game was a *complete fluke*, it's going to be hard to turn this around.  Now that they traded next years 2nd round pick for Gaines Adams, next April will be the second draft in a row where they don't make a pick until round 3.  Things could get a lot worse before they get better.

Big fucking deal... they aren't the Browns. I only say this because on the cleveland plain dealer articles, it seems most Browns fans have taken up the mantle of being the worst is at least something.

"how about them Brownies!"
'holy shit they suck'
"I know huh? awesome isn't it?"
 swamp poop

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #225 on: October 26, 2009, 08:39:02 PM

An item that may only be of interest/amusement for FF players:  Jon Gruden just called McNabb "durable".

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #226 on: October 26, 2009, 08:49:06 PM

An item that may only be of interest/amusement for FF players:  Jon Gruden just called McNabb "durable".

Gruden's just filling in the noise they give every QB when they are winning. MNF seems unwilling to talk about anything else.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #227 on: October 27, 2009, 08:41:27 AM

They do suck copious amounts of QB cock. I've seen less enthusiastic knob polishing in pr0n.

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: October 27, 2009, 09:06:19 AM

I avoided the knob polishing last night as I couldn't come up with a reason to watch the game. There was no way the Redskins would win and the state of both teams convinced me it would be a shitty game regardless of the outcome. According to the recap I read this morning, my predictions were proven true.

NFC East... remember when people talked it up? Ya... not so much now. I try not to think too long on the fact that the Giants, while in the lead, are still not that far ahead. Looking at Philly and Dallas it means they're mediocre at best. Once again... Please to be bringing back Spags please.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: October 27, 2009, 09:12:42 AM

I avoided the knob polishing last night as I couldn't come up with a reason to watch the game. There was no way the Redskins would win and the state of both teams convinced me it would be a shitty game regardless of the outcome. According to the recap I read this morning, my predictions were proven true.

Watching the Redskins… …man, it's just painful.

Jason Campbell might be the worst starting NFL QB (other than Raiders Russell) though once every 20 plays, a false ray appears, making it actually look like he has the talent and potential to excel at the position…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: October 27, 2009, 09:15:15 AM

Jason Campbell might be the worst starting NFL QB (other than Raiders Russell) though once every 20 plays, a false ray appears, making it actually look like he has the talent and potential to excel at the position…

Can I introduce you to Mr. Anderson?

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: October 27, 2009, 09:19:59 AM

Watching CBS' pregame show the other day, they had Charley Casserly on breaking down what Jason Campbell was doing, not doing, and definitely not seeing. The guy just does not have the ability to analyze what he sees and make quick decisions based off of that. He's just not good nor will he ever be because he doesn't think on his feet quickly enough. Backup QB is as high as he ever should have gotten.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: October 27, 2009, 09:46:17 AM

I think Jake "Hi, I've already thrown 13 interceptions" Delhomme would like a seat at that table.

You know, when you stop to think about it there are a lot of really, really bad QBs in the league right now.

Over and out.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #233 on: October 27, 2009, 10:02:32 AM

I don't know what the fuck happened to Delhomme. He was never going to be a premier QB in the league, but fuck it, he's better than he has been since that playoff game with Arizona. For that matter, I can't figure out why Carolina is so bad. They have a good running game, and even though they are getting old, Steve Smith and Musin Muhammed still have enough left in the tank to get open for Delhomme. But they just suck it.

There's a lot of just suck-ass teams this year. After Derek Anderson completed just 2 passes in the entire Buffalo game (and yet the Browns still won), I'd have thought they'd go back to Quinn. At least he's younger - but holy shit, they are just piling one bad decision on top of another.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #234 on: October 27, 2009, 11:00:29 AM

There are some backups that you would think some of these teams would try to pick up and see if a fresh start is what they need:

***David Carr (his o-line was so terrible for almost the entire time in Texas)
***AJ Feeley (why doesn't this guy get a shot in Carolina?  He managed games well in Philly)
***Jeff motherfucking Garcia (this guy is 10 times the QB as so many starters in the league I just can't fathom why somebody doesn't swoop him up)
Rex Grossman (ok this is a stretch but considering Kyle Orton apparently doesn't suck this guy might be worth a 4th-6th round pick to see if lightning can strike twice right?)
Jon Kitna (again, we know this guy can at least keep a mediocre team at 8-8, not the Lions but the Bengals he pulled it off several times, he may be too old at this point though)
***Matt Leinhart (he's from USC and he's not named Booty, he won a heisman, how has his contract not expired in Arizona at this point?)
Sage Rosenfels (I swear this guy can probably play QB in the league, not well but beter then Jason Campbell)
Chris Sims (I hate this little punk, his fucking dad too but again he was looking good for a minute there back in Tampa before he lacerated his spleen or whatever that was)
Alex Smith (Looks like he might finally have woken up and decided to play football, not a game too early for the 49ers, might be a 1-game abboration though)
Troy Smith (I know he's 4 feet tall but he had the starting job won from Flacco before he fucked up his foot)
Jim Sorgi (like many on this list, he should be a  backup but all be damned if he hasn't been twice the QB many of these awful starters are when called upon)
Mike Vick (for real, how is he not on the Raiders, at least they would sell out the next 1-3 games)
Billy Volek (at least he has managed games successfully on back to back Sundays in his career, unlike say, Jamarcus Russle)

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #235 on: October 27, 2009, 01:56:11 PM

No, Carr really is that terrible. I was a cheerleader for Carr for a while - he had a shitty O-Line in Houston. But he sucked just as bad in Carolina with a better O-line. He holds onto the ball too long and gets hammered.

You're right about Rosenfels. He'd have been the starting QB at some point this season in Minnesota if Favre hadn't come back, because Jackson was going to lose that job eventually. Kitna's way too old. Leinart is still signed to his original contract I think, and they expect him to take over for the Gargoyle once Warner retires gets his shins split. Alex Smith does look like he may have learned a thing or two holding the clipboard, but let's see him do it against a decent D. Sorgi and Volek could both be better than Jamarcus Russell, Derek Anderson or Jason Campbell have been. As for Vick, I'm as surprised as you that the Raiders weren't camped outside the prison with a contract. Hell, I thought Al Davis personally issued authographed shanks to the Raiders players when they signed.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: October 27, 2009, 02:06:36 PM

Rex Grossman (ok this is a stretch but considering Kyle Orton apparently doesn't suck this guy might be worth a 4th-6th round pick to see if lightning can strike twice right?)

Strongly disagree with this one. Orton did decent with what he had in Chicago for the short time he was there. He was honestly who I wanted as a starter for a while. Grossman was entirely different. The Bears had problems with dropped passes and the o-line breaking down at times during Grossman's short lived era, but they also had a much better line then they do now. I'd estimate 75% of Grossman's mistakes were his own and now someone else's fault.

However, since he was a Bear, no matter where he goes he'll be a superstar as that is what happens to anyone the Bears trade away/don't keep (Benson, Jones, Orton, Berrian, etc).

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: October 27, 2009, 02:08:03 PM

I think Jake "Hi, I've already thrown 13 interceptions" Delhomme would like a seat at that table.

You know, when you stop to think about it there are a lot of really, really bad QBs in the league right now.

Is it too early to add Sanchez to that list? I lost a bet 2 weeks ago when I hoped he'd throw more interceptions then Brady threw TD's. He was 1 off during that slaughter in New England  Heartbreak
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: October 27, 2009, 03:02:08 PM

There are some backups that you would think some of these teams would try to pick up and see if a fresh start is what they need:

Troy Smith (I know he's 4 feet tall but he had the starting job won from Flacco before he fucked up his foot)

It wasn't so much Smith's foot.  Right at the end of preseason he got the mother of all tonsil infections.  Came ridiculously close to dying and lost 20+ lbs from it.  He was fucked up enough from it that there were serious concerns his career was going to end.

But in other news, Snyder has banned all signs from Fed Ex field now.  Apparently, the security staff has also started threatening fans wearing any type of derogatory shirt as well.    Dude is trying to start a revolt or something.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #239 on: October 27, 2009, 03:27:38 PM

It's hilarious that Snyder has managed to make people pine for the days of that bastard Jack Kent Cook.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #240 on: October 27, 2009, 06:10:24 PM

Is it too early to add Sanchez to that list? I lost a bet 2 weeks ago when I hoped he'd throw more interceptions then Brady threw TD's. He was 1 off during that slaughter in New England  Heartbreak

Are you seriously suggesting that Mark Sanchez sucks?  You know that's a sucky QB list right?  Not a hey its his rookie season and its already hard to think he wont take his team to the playoffs the next time NE has an off year.  I feel like I must be misreading, did you type the wrong name?  Kerry Collins maybe?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: October 28, 2009, 05:13:02 AM

Ya, no shit. It's way too early to judge Sanchez either way.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: October 28, 2009, 08:26:49 AM

I feel like I must be misreading, did you type the wrong name?  Kerry Collins maybe?

I can't speak badly of Collins.  On top of the fact that he's had a pretty good run in his career (2 time Pro Bowler and 37k yds passing), the guy does a ton of solid charity work.  Rather than bad, let's just say he's past his prime. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: October 28, 2009, 08:50:17 AM

Collins has never been considered to be much more than a journeyman anyway.  With the right team, that works fine.  Titans aren't that team anymore.

WayAbvPar

Reply #244 on: October 28, 2009, 09:08:50 AM

It's hilarious that Snyder has managed to make people pine for the days of that bastard Jack Kent Cook.

I feel for Jim Zorn. The rest of those fuckers can die in a car fire, and I am enjoying the hell out of the failboat they are sailing.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 NFL  
Jump to: