Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:33:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe - Midway Amusement Games, LLC - 360 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe - Midway Amusement Games, LLC - 360  (Read 7592 times)
Azazel
Contributor

on: August 07, 2009, 04:33:16 AM

This is one of the easiest BiiFs ever.

If you like Mortal Kombat, this is worth checking out. If you're not really a fan of the MK series, this is the same old shit in a slightly shinier package.

Since that's probably too few words, I'll continue.

If you're a casual partaker of the MK games, as I am, then this is, essentially, the same old shit in a slightly shinier package. There are some nice visual touches, such as visible bruising and damage to characters' costumes as the fights progress. The character models are nicely large and detailed. Backgrounds look fine, if uninspired. It's pretty much got all the same old MK-things in it. Fatalaties, "Heroic Brutalities" for the DC heroes who don't kill. (which are typically awkward to pull off using a 360 gamepad) Yadda yadda, you get the drill.

Still, I found the controls to be stiff and wooden, even allowing for the 360 pad I was using. I find Tekken/Soul Calibur/DOA much more fluid. - If you'd prefer to keep your fighting-game comparisons to the 2-D arena, I find the Streetfighter/Capcom/SNK games to be much more comfortable and fluid than this (or any) MK games. It's like comparing a gymnast's movement to C-3P0.

The whole smash someone through a wall thing is a little underwhelming. I wasn't especially impressed. But then the last proper MK game I got into was MK2 on the SNES. I did play through that MK-does-Final-Fight game on the PS2 and that was a pretty fun way to spend a few afternoons with a friend. I see this in a similar light really. I find it to actually be a bit shit, but for some uncomplicated rainy-day vs fighting-game fun for 20mins at a time, it's ok. Given that it both came from the bargain bin and my wife paid for it anyway, this will be fine. I wouldn't recommend it as a full-price purchase for anyone outside of full-fledged MK series fans though. Actually, I liked that 2P scrolling beat-em-up on the PS2 a lot more than this.

===

But really, what it all comes down to is that it's MOAR Mortal Kombat, and that's going to be the thing that defines whether this is a worthwhile purchase, a bargain-bin pickup, a rental, or like syphillis.

Rent it. If you like MK games. (if not, avoid!)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:08:07 AM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 05:04:37 AM

Fix your line breaks in the 2nd half. I can't tell if you have paragraphs that are smushed together or sentences that have extra line breaks in them. Also leave the metacomments (your last line) for a separate post. If your BiiF is really short that stuff will show up on the front page.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 07:07:45 AM

Formatting fixed - I also made sure that the BiiF was long enough to not have the metacomment show up on the frontpage.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 07:12:47 AM

Thanks. I know it didn't show up. I want people to get into a habit of not putting that "extra" stuff in the actual BiiF post.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:29:27 AM

Having seen a few MK vs DCUO reviews so it was top of mind and being in an EB, I decided to see what it would cost second hand.

$95 (Australian).

ACK!

It would have launched at $110, but for a second hand title to only drop $15 in several months... I'll wait, thanks.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 12:46:57 AM

Having seen a few MK vs DCUO reviews so it was top of mind and being in an EB, I decided to see what it would cost second hand.

$95 (Australian).

ACK!

It would have launched at $110, but for a second hand title to only drop $15 in several months... I'll wait, thanks.

Don't go to EB...  Facepalm
They keep their new and secondhand prices absurdly high all the time so that they can offer amazing 50% off and buy 2 get one free sales (while Big W and K-Mart will have meanwhile dropped the RRP by 60%)

It was AU$25 new at K-Mart like 3 weeks ago. I think JB has it for $45 or so at the moment. For $25 it's only slightly overpriced.

www.palgn.com.au -> Australian Gaming bargains. Keep an eye on it, updated every Wed night/Thurs.

edit - it's actually AU$49 on both 360 and ps3 at JB hi fi at the moment, until the coming thursday. FYI anyway.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:16:01 PM by Azazel »

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 07:07:45 PM

EB is just the closest and most convenient, while sadly the games section of my local K-Mart is pretty weak. But thanks for the info.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 09:34:16 PM

understood - but keep an eye on the PALGN page, and use it and the appropriate catalogue to price match at EB.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe - Midway Amusement Games, LLC - 360  
Jump to: