Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:08:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: T9 Amor sets :( 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: T9 Amor sets :(  (Read 21320 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #35 on: July 31, 2009, 04:34:23 PM

Neither is different factions sharing the same model. Why is one OK and the other one a HUGE CRISIS? Oh, hello subjectivity.

I'm going to assume you are not retarded.

Cloth sets in every tier for five years: three.

Cloth sets for this tier: two with essentially one per faction

Repeat for plate.

There is less art in this patch than in any prior patch. My mage would no longer look just like every other mage but also every other warlock and priest.

Plate only started having 3 sets just recently, remember. And in a lot of the vanilla and early TBC patches, they had placeholder art actually go live quite frequently. There's slightly less art in this patch than in the other post-DK patches, yes. And 2/3 of the set armor has always been ugly or ridiculous looking.

This is the dumbest "oh my god Blizzard is going downhill!" type argument ever, and that is saying a lot.

Also lets say you're in a raid where you have 3 warriors, 2 DKs, and 3 pallys. A third of your raid now is indistinguishable, and as an added kick the teeth they look downright stupid.

If you're color-blind and they're all the same race and gender and everyone has a full set of armor, yes. But even assuming that what's the gameplay consequence? Your healers are looking at Grid, not at models.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 04:36:56 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 31, 2009, 05:15:09 PM

True/False: One of the prime motivators for endgame gameplay, as stated by Blizzard themselves, is the looking cool factor?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 31, 2009, 05:19:51 PM

True/False: One of the prime motivators for endgame gameplay, as stated by Blizzard themselves, is the looking cool factor?

Sure. But again, that just comes down to whether or not you like the set your chosen class got in a particular tier. And there have always been ugly sets, all the way right back down to the beginning. I'd take any of these sets over Valor plate.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 31, 2009, 05:22:11 PM

That's not what I'm getting at. If you're consolidating three classes into one model there is objectively less variety and therefore less of a chance your set will be something you like. And while it's a given that you look like every warrior if you're a warrior you didn't look like every other warrior, paladin and now death knight. Those are facts and if you think that nobody cares about this I think you're sorely mistaken.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 31, 2009, 05:55:45 PM

Valor was awesome.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #40 on: July 31, 2009, 06:15:58 PM

Jesus Christ, people, no one is even going to wear this armor for more than six months AT THE LONGEST because Icecrown is the "end," not this stupid tournament thing. They had art goals (they wanted to put the emphasis on Horde and Alliance instead of class for once) and they met those goals just fine. It's less Blizzard laziness and more "they did it different this time and people are acting like it's the end of the world."

Some of the sets are ugly? Big fucking deal, that's the way it is every tier unless you're a warlock. Wait until the next raid rolls out, and then you can be disappointed all over again because the colorblind guy with a huge shoulder fetish is still designing YOUR set. But phew, thank God above they'll go back to designing armor sets with a particular race/class combo in mind (tier sets almost always look good on ONE race and weird on the others) instead a faction. Change is scary. :(

God Save the Horn Players
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 31, 2009, 06:38:06 PM

Jesus Christ, people, no one is even going to wear this armor for more than six months AT THE LONGEST because Icecrown is the "end," not this stupid tournament thing. They had art goals (they wanted to put the emphasis on Horde and Alliance instead of class for once) and they met those goals just fine. It's less Blizzard laziness and more "they did it different this time and people are acting like it's the end of the world."

Some of the sets are ugly? Big fucking deal, that's the way it is every tier unless you're a warlock. Wait until the next raid rolls out, and then you can be disappointed all over again because the colorblind guy with a huge shoulder fetish is still designing YOUR set. But phew, thank God above they'll go back to designing armor sets with a particular race/class combo in mind (tier sets almost always look good on ONE race and weird on the others) instead a faction. Change is scary. :(

The icecrown warlock armor will simply turn you into a frostwyrm

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #42 on: July 31, 2009, 09:42:39 PM

If they wanted to shift the gear division paradigm, it just seems stupid to do it in a bullshit incremental patch. I would expect that kind of sweeping change would be better served in a new expansion.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 31, 2009, 11:55:35 PM

If they wanted to shift the gear division paradigm, it just seems stupid to do it in a bullshit incremental patch. I would expect that kind of sweeping change would be better served in a new expansion.

And do something like making a massive design shift with a major content release?

Because, in hindsight, ToA was a fucking fantastic idea. why so serious?
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 01, 2009, 01:10:12 AM

Also lets say you're in a raid where you have 3 warriors, 2 DKs, and 3 pallys. A third of your raid now is indistinguishable, and as an added kick the teeth they look downright stupid.

They should add a new UI option:  rather than checking off display "title" or "guild", we'll have to check display "class" (

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #45 on: August 01, 2009, 01:45:49 AM

This is hardly a sweeping change, it's just a different way of doing the gear for one tier no one is going to wear for very long. This is the best possible place to do this if you wanted to do an Alliance/Horde divide for a change of pace but not have it hang around for a long time.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 01, 2009, 09:36:15 AM

I never thought I'd see raiders bitching about everyone looking alike.  This day is delicious.  I shall ever savor it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 01, 2009, 11:30:10 AM

Huh? 'Raiders' have always bitched about appearances, it's probably the most bitched about thing for them

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #48 on: August 01, 2009, 12:30:53 PM

Most of the horde sets look awful IMO. I'd rather wear the alliance plate than the horde plate for sure.

I kinda wish I could get something like the ilevel 200 epic PVP plate Pallies get.

http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=-50#comments

That looks fucking cool.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 01, 2009, 12:40:24 PM

All those years, content patchs and expansions and people still end up looking the same?  There is something very wrong with their design.

A good gear progression should look like a T.  Meaning half of the art is good and viable for the lvl cap.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 05:37:07 PM by Aez »
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 01, 2009, 05:18:25 PM

Most of the horde sets look awful IMO. I'd rather wear the alliance plate than the horde plate for sure.

I kinda wish I could get something like the ilevel 200 epic PVP plate Pallies get.

http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=-50#comments

That looks fucking cool.

I'm going to restate this, despite no-one seeming interested. The S7 stuff is fucking cool, and the progression they have had through the PvP sets has been logical and well done.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #51 on: August 01, 2009, 06:27:41 PM

I just took a look.  I've been ignoring arenas since season 4.   It's now obvious what they did. The art team who was doing PvE armor swapped places with the team doing PvP armor.  The details and flairs and glow effects of the S7 armor come from the same design wellspring as previous PvE sets.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 01, 2009, 06:40:53 PM

I know every stealthy rogue wants big bright yellow lights on their shoulders.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #53 on: August 01, 2009, 09:11:05 PM

When a narcotics dealer sells to somebody who is dabbling, they give them the best stuff for a good price. Once they're hooked, the same money only buys heavily cut drugs and they'll take liberties with the weight. The same is true of MMORPGs. There needed to be a lot of good armor in the earlier tiers. Now you'll all play 80-100 even though there will only be one suit of lime green armor for everybody for the last 10 levels.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 02, 2009, 08:03:59 PM

When a narcotics dealer sells to somebody who is dabbling, they give them the best stuff for a good price. Once they're hooked, the same money only buys heavily cut drugs and they'll take liberties with the weight. The same is true of MMORPGs. There needed to be a lot of good armor in the earlier tiers. Now you'll all play 80-100 even though there will only be one suit of lime green armor for everybody for the last 10 levels.

I take it you know this from experience.  Lay off the blow. why so serious?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 03, 2009, 11:57:11 AM

Personally I stopped caring about armor when I got shadowform.  I'm either a smooth inky blob or a spikey one, doesn't really matter.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 07, 2009, 10:30:48 AM

Personally I stopped caring about armor when I got shadowform.  I'm either a smooth inky blob or a spikey one, doesn't really matter.

I dunno. I can still make out a lot even in shadowform, and the Priest T7/7.5 shoulders still look bloody silly thanks to the stupid angelwing sprite thing. I would kill, kill to be able to wear the Warlock T7/7.5s. Those are pretty much the only shoulderpads I've seen in this game that I'd truly want my character to wear, and they'd look even more badass in shadowform. Moreover they seem to sit properly on the shoulders.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: August 07, 2009, 10:38:29 AM

Really? The lock naxx set always struck me as the worst of the lock sets (which are universally some of the better designs they tend to do)
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #58 on: August 07, 2009, 11:20:06 AM

Felheart was the most stupid thing i've ever seen. A tiara with horns? Seriously?

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 07, 2009, 12:01:15 PM

=(

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 07, 2009, 12:24:07 PM

On an only slightly derailing note; I fucking hate the new bear form looks.  This bear looks like a wiener.  I miss my old one Mob

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #61 on: August 07, 2009, 12:55:04 PM

I've been making fun of every druid I run with about their pretty little white kitty and his shiny pink highlights!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 07, 2009, 07:37:40 PM

felheart wasn't a tiara with horns, it was gnarly demons horns STICKING OUT OF YOUR HEAD!  even as a priest I had to admire them, I even still have the fake felheart horns that drop from a nagrand quest.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #63 on: August 07, 2009, 09:21:20 PM

Even IF I admit that they were bona fide horns, there's still the problem that they've TWO FLUORESCENT GREEN BANDS IN THEM.

Felheart is flaming. Also, it had horrible spelldmg. Additionally, not even a color blind chap could create such an atrocious coloring scheme.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #64 on: August 07, 2009, 10:50:18 PM

I fondly remember calling warlocks "felheart clowns". 

-Rasix
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #65 on: August 10, 2009, 02:38:04 AM

I've been making fun of every druid I run with about their pretty little white kitty and his shiny pink highlights!

I hate the way my druid looks with white hair in his elf form, so I'm not a pretty, pretty pink kitty. :(

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 10, 2009, 08:37:27 AM

The new cat form models are awesome.  The new bear form model feels a bit weird to me, mainly i think because the ass end of it seems to be about twice as big as the front end, making them appear very disproportionate in size.  However, since i spend the majority of my time in bear form looking only at the back end of it anyway, i generally don't notice the disparity.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 10, 2009, 11:47:25 AM

Bear form is still basically a hairy potato with legs, but it is improved in that it is actually a ROUND potato with legs rather than a blocky one consisting of about 3 polygons.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: August 10, 2009, 03:45:44 PM

All I see is bear ass, so I haven't noticed much difference.

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 15, 2009, 10:08:12 AM

All I see is bear ass, so I haven't noticed much difference.

Ya I noticed this too in trying a druid.  The new forms are best appreciated by onlookers :P

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: T9 Amor sets :(  
Jump to: