Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:08:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: T9 Amor sets :( 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: T9 Amor sets :(  (Read 21295 times)
jpark
Terracotta Army

on: July 30, 2009, 12:20:55 PM

I am so dissappointed.

I am often out of the loop I guess so what am I missing?  The idea that all cloth will have the same model (and so on for chain, plate etc) is so bland it kills it for me.  I always looked forward to armor sets as the major eye candy / phat lewts of this game.

That aside, the models are awful - all of them!

It's enough to make me pack it in until the next content patch.  Or stick with my T8 gear and just get the non-visible gear from the new instance in  3.2.

Am I the only one dissapointed here?

It seems like heavy cost control at Blizzard.  Perhaps their talent is now working on their new MMORPG ?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 12:22:59 PM by jpark »

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 12:23:29 PM

I'll never get it.  So, I guess I can't be too disappointed. Heh.

Don't worry, we've got a few poopsockers here.  I'm sure they feel your pain.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 12:25:54 PM

Its not really cost control. The suits are different by faction instead of by class. That means 8 armor textures instead of 10, which is really not a big difference. The theme of this patch is very focused on the whole Alliance vs. Horde side of the tournament so I think it makes sense to split it that way.

The actual models themselves are another matter. Its like any other tier, some of them are good and some are bad. I like the Alliance mail the most, the leather armor is good, and so is the Horde plate. The Alliance plate is dumb, but I'm used to my warrior wearing ugly stuff anyway.  Ohhhhh, I see.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 12:27:07 PM

I know we get busy with family and our professional lives I appreciate that.  But these days you can pug and clear a good portion of Ulduar 10 on a Friday night.  I am a casual player believe me.

Unless of course we drink.  Then there's not much clearing :P

"  HaemishM.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:29:14 PM

Its not really cost control. The suits are different by faction instead of by class.

Yup but I miss the logic.  If it were pvp gear that would make sense - since you see the other faction.

But for PVE stuff you are not going to see the other faction (unless the goal here is to make visiting your bank more interesting) - which are the set of models we are talking about here.

"  HaemishM.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 12:37:45 PM

Maybe the logic is simply "Hey we've done this one way the last X times, let's switch it up for once!" I empathize with the general concern, however. Every weapon has been a visual downgrade since Armageddon.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 01:10:46 PM

Eh, all horde models look great, as do the ally mail and leather. The allly blue plate set (warrior?) is allright, while all of the ally cloth is atrocious.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 02:59:41 PM by Hindenburg »

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 01:17:48 PM

I know we get busy with family and our professional lives I appreciate that.  But these days you can pug and clear a good portion of Ulduar 10 on a Friday night.  I am a casual player believe me.

Ahh, I forgot about the base being the tier and the heroic being the .5 of the tier.  I haven't had time to raid in months.  A night to game.. boy, that'd be something.

As for the armor itself, eh, it doesn't look too bad.  Alliance stuff looks a bit fruity, but the horde stuff looks like your typical tier set.

-Rasix
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 01:26:27 PM

On the other hand, the S7 pvp sets look awesome.

I may eventually get some of this gear, it's pretty uninspiring I'll agree. Still, what can you do; hopefully the Icecrown stuff will be sweet.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 01:59:44 PM

Man, we cleared a lot doing a drunken Uld run.

Sadly, I don't remember what we cleared, or how much of it was us getting cleared.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 02:19:27 PM

I HATE the open helm look.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 02:53:11 PM

I like that the Horde stuff actually looks like Horde stuff and the Alliance stuff looks like Alliance stuff. I even like the plate for Alliance, I'm not sure why Ingmar is being a whiney ass about it.

God Save the Horn Players
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 02:55:55 PM

I think the cloth is relatively in-theme for the whole northrend look, even though I think it's a little funny that stone appears to be a key ingredient at edging cloth.

I do like the plain/hooded look for casters. Beats my LOOK GLOWING ROCKS shoulders now.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 02:56:26 PM

I like that the Horde stuff actually looks like Horde stuff and the Alliance stuff looks like Alliance stuff. I even like the plate for Alliance, I'm not sure why Ingmar is being a whiney ass about it.

I don't like the shoulders.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 03:04:21 PM

Which is different from the norm?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 03:45:54 PM

I think Blizzard got bored/tired of doing something brand new over and over again. This gear will be worn for probably 4 months max. Then the Icecrown patch will come down the pipeline, and everyone will get over the blander set pieces.

All the alliance stuff looks horrible, though. However, after wearing axes on my head and shoulders for over a year, nothing bothers me anymore.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 04:33:28 PM

At this point, I'm pretty much indifferent to how the goddamn armor looks.  I've been wearing those ridiculous winged paladin shoulders for months now, mostly because my love for aesthetics cannot overcome my inner min/maxer.   Ohhhhh, I see.

So, assuming the Coliseum gear is an improvement over Ulduar, which isn't a given, I'll wear it.  That it's horde plate probably makes it a little easier on me.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 05:05:07 PM

The Alliance Leather has some major cleavage on the ladies.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 05:06:29 PM

I think Blizzard got bored/tired of doing something brand new over and over again. This gear will be worn for probably 4 months max. Then the Icecrown patch will come down the pipeline, and everyone will get over the blander set pieces.

This is pretty much why I haven't given a rat's ass.  Yeah it's all bland, ugly and horribly lazy.  It screams "This is an incremental patch until Icecrown, just to keep you assholes busy!"   That patch will (hopefully) come out before the end of the year or early next year.  

Plus, since I completely expect the Argent Crusade to aid the players in the Icecrown assault, I look at T9 as giving us uniforms for the battle.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 05:08:33 PM

The AC being a factor in IceCrown is a given, Tirion has the Ashbringer.

They ain't going to pass up a Chance to show off the Ashbringer after teasing people about it for four damn years.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 12:03:52 AM

All the alliance stuff looks horrible, though. However, after wearing axes on my head and shoulders for over a year, nothing bothers me anymore.

I really emphathize with the challenge of an art team coming up with new stuff all the time.

I would be amazing if we could chose ANY model of the past for our class - and do some raids/quests and get it upgraded.  That would allow a good use of past artistic effort.  And fun )

"  HaemishM.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 12:14:20 AM

Don't get the "appearance tab" people going again. That shit is never going to happen in WoW (barring them patching a sinking ship). For some reason they've made it very clear they don't want you to be a unique snowflake. The same goes with housing.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 11:46:31 AM

Yeah it's all bland, ugly and horribly lazy.

Go look at it again. There's a lot of fine detail. You may not like it, but calling it lazy is just wrong.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 03:02:15 PM

Yeah it's all bland, ugly and horribly lazy.

Go look at it again. There's a lot of fine detail. You may not like it, but calling it lazy is just wrong.

I would beg you to find 1 out of every 10 people who thinks this design is remotely cool. WATCH OUT FOR MY HIGHBEAMS, BITCHES!

EDIT: The funny thing is, if they had simplified the design, gotten rid of the stupid lights, lost the gigantic towering shit on the helm and the shoulders, and just used the same scheme, I would have liked the armor.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:05:14 PM by Paelos »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 03:04:35 PM

I'm not disputing the coolness or lack thereof. Shit, I already said I don't like the Alliance plate myself.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 03:12:01 PM

I'm not disputing the coolness or lack thereof. Shit, I already said I don't like the Alliance plate myself.

I agree with your earlier point that it's not lazy, but what does that say? That they are hard-working retards? Who really cares about the effort when the artistic result is terrible? The alliance plate and leather are just straight up ridiculous. The mail looks like they stumbled out of a bad Arabian Bazaar. I don't have a lot of problems with the cloth, but some people seem to hate it.

The Horde cloth looks cool. The plate is mediocre (it looks cool on a DK, but not much else), as is the mail. The leather is just too funky for me.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 03:15:03 PM

*Amor* sets? To the Deeprun Tram!  Ohhhhh, I see.

But seriously, now you know why it takes them forever to release anything: if they release content in anything approaching a reasonable pace their entire art department forgets how to draw.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 03:16:09 PM

All that other stuff is really subjective, though. I mean, I really, really like the Alliance mail armor. IMO it is the best looking suit my shaman has ever had access to by far. It just boils down to "I know what I like" statements from everyone.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 03:16:16 PM

Looks awesome on the draenei male, tho.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 03:20:23 PM

All that other stuff is really subjective, though. I mean, I really, really like the Alliance mail armor. IMO it is the best looking suit my shaman has ever had access to by far. It just boils down to "I know what I like" statements from everyone.

That is indeed subjective. Classes sharing models is not.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 31, 2009, 03:25:44 PM

That is indeed subjective. Classes sharing models is not.

Neither is different factions sharing the same model. Why is one OK and the other one a HUGE CRISIS? Oh, hello subjectivity.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #31 on: July 31, 2009, 03:28:04 PM

Because you don't raid with the other faction, and they are also your class. It makes logical sense for one class to have the same armor across factions. It bothers the shit out of me that the guy who designed Alliance plate was obviously the same dude who's done all the shitty pally sets. Now we all look like shitty pallys. I don't think it's a good logical jump on the 9th set to suddenly decide OK NOW FACTIONS!

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 31, 2009, 04:08:56 PM

On the other hand, PvP sets should have stayed as faction specific.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 31, 2009, 04:14:28 PM

Neither is different factions sharing the same model. Why is one OK and the other one a HUGE CRISIS? Oh, hello subjectivity.

I'm going to assume you are not retarded.

Cloth sets in every tier for five years: three.

Cloth sets for this tier: two with essentially one per faction

Repeat for plate.

There is less art in this patch than in any prior patch. My mage would no longer look just like every other mage but also every other warlock and priest.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #34 on: July 31, 2009, 04:23:52 PM

Also lets say you're in a raid where you have 3 warriors, 2 DKs, and 3 pallys. A third of your raid now is indistinguishable, and as an added kick the teeth they look downright stupid.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: T9 Amor sets :(  
Jump to: