Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:50:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 College Football  (Read 130429 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #525 on: January 13, 2010, 05:07:47 PM

Go wait in line at fucking WalMart to see your beloved trophy.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #526 on: January 13, 2010, 05:23:26 PM

SEC circle-jerks always make me roll my eyes.

So really, and this is an honest question, what would it take for you to say the SEC is the best conference in college football? What would they have to do? Would they have to win more championships? More BCS games? More bowls? More Heismans? More top 10 teams?

Is there a criteria you have where you would believe any conference would be head and shoulders above the others? Or would you never admit that any conference is better under any conditions?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: January 13, 2010, 05:41:54 PM

I don't care which conference is "teh bestest", but the elitist attitude of the SEC and fans of the teams in the last 10-15 years has been pretty fucking silly.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #528 on: January 13, 2010, 05:42:29 PM

Historically speaking you can't give it to any conference other than the Big 10, IMO (and I'm saying this as a Pac 10 guy). The reason I say this is neither the SEC without Alabama nor the Pac-10 without USC amount to anything special, and I'm not going to give a gold star to a conference based on one team. The Big 10 has a much better top-to-bottom level of performance historically.

As for what conference is best in any given year, who gives a shit? This year it probably is the SEC. Do you want a cookie?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #529 on: January 13, 2010, 05:52:24 PM

I don't care which conference is "teh bestest", but the elitist attitude of the SEC and fans of the teams in the last 10-15 years has been pretty fucking silly.
Well given the SEC has won as many BCS Championships as all of the other conferences *combined* (6) I would say their attitude is justified.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #530 on: January 13, 2010, 06:40:52 PM

1)  Counting Ohio State's well documented failures versus the SEC (0-9) the Big10 is still .500 against the SEC in the two bowl games that match relatively even opponents that they play every year.  I see no conference dominance.

2)  The fact is though during that run USC only lost a big game to VY being unstoppable, most of the west coast believes and since I watched most USC regular season games out here I find it believable that USC would have had a good shot at beating LSU in '03, UF in '06, LSU in '07 or UF again in '08.  If there is any school that was fucked by the lack of a playoff it was USC over the last 10 years since they have won every single big game they've played up until this season except when VY went super saiyan on them.

3)  The SEC is the greatest bullshit is really a house built on two things, Ohio State fails every time they play them and ESPN owns the SEC tv rights and has a huge sway on public opinion with a financial motivation to have the nation think SEC games are the best football games.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: January 13, 2010, 07:33:36 PM

The SEC has more national championships than the other BCS conferences combined.

So you can tell yourself the SEC isn't dominant in college football, and in some twisted sense you may be right, but it's just like saying  Aston Villa is stronger than Valencia when Real and Barca take turns smacking  premier league champs around in champions league.  No one's going to buy a word of it.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: January 13, 2010, 07:57:41 PM

I'm not going to argue SEC vs. Big 10 or Pac 10 or anything like that, however...

The whole SEC! SEC! SEC! thing a bit silly. If the Steelers get knocked out of the playoffs I don't go AFC NORTH! AFC NORTH! when the Ravens beat the Patriots. Nor do I go AMERICAN LEAGUE! AMERICAN LEAGUE! when the Indians don't make the playoffs.

Doesn't bother me but I find it odd. In the Big 10 we hate each other. OSU fans want Michigan to go 0-12 and then hire Greg Robinson as coach. Likewise for all the other schools.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: January 13, 2010, 08:28:24 PM

Pride in the SEC is a cultural thing.  

Fact of the matter is, other than football, we don't have too much down here.  The South has the lowest cost of living relative to the rest of the country due to lowest wages being paid for <any number of factors> for a comparable job.  There's not much industry to be proud of (a few automobile manufacturing plants), and with the exception of our universities and private schools (that will stand up against anyone), our school system is probably the worst in the country.  It's not that we're a half step behind everyone else, we're two steps behind, and in some places (Mississippi especially), it's four steps behind.  

And that's not even really the tip of the iceberg as to the 'problems' of the South.  I love it here.  I wouldn't live anywhere else.  But I'm not blind to our inadequacies, and wish like hell we could change it.

What we do have, is the finest football in the country.  And we're proud of that.  We have exceptional athletes that do exceptional things at our Universities.  We take ownership into schools we've never attended, much less even stepped foot on campus.  And it's driven into your head that if you're born in Alabama, you root for Alabama or Auburn.  If you're born in Mississippi, you root for Ole Miss or Miss State.  In Georgia, it's UGA.  It's rabid.  Borderline obsessive.  And when it comes down to bowl season, or any sort of comparison of our conference versus everyone else, that's how we see it.  Us vs You (generally speaking).  

I don't know.  It's hard to explain the mentality of it if you're not born and raised here.  You're the butt of all sorts of jokes, some good hearted, others mean spirited and everything in between.  Everyone laughs at your accent.  Whatever the case may be.  Hell, maybe it goes all the way back to the Civil War, who knows.  Maybe a large part of it is some sort of inferiority complex we have.  

But football is the one thing we can say 'Yup, we're better'n you'.  <tobacco spit on a dirt road>

Football to us, honest to God, is bigger than religion.  And that's saying something.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #534 on: January 14, 2010, 03:19:35 AM

SEC has some of the best tailgating I have ever been privy to be at. LSU, Alabama, UGA, FL, ole Miss, and Tenn are ones I have been to and while the list is shorter for other conferences (OSU, MICH, CO, Cal, Miami, Va Tech, Northwestern) I have never seen anything like SEC tailgating anywhere. When I was at LSU, my parking lot would be rammed with RVs on Weds thru Monday morning for home games - completely different culture. Maybe partly due to culture, weather, employment, etc... but you can't deny their love of the pre-game festivities.  awesome, for real

As for who is a better conference... bleh. Easier to argue religion these days.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #535 on: January 14, 2010, 08:22:26 AM

Football to us, honest to God, is bigger than religion.  And that's saying something.

There are four religions in the South. Evangelical Christianity (otherwise known as the God Asshole), High School Football, College Football and all-you-can-eat buffets.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: January 14, 2010, 10:52:19 AM

There are four religions in the South. Evangelical Christianity (otherwise known as the God Asshole), High School Football, College Football and all-you-can-eat buffets.

The twin churches of Barnhill's and Golden Corral.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: January 14, 2010, 10:57:58 AM

I'd have said Waffle House.

Over and out.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #538 on: January 14, 2010, 12:41:48 PM

Now, I don't follow college football, but this Kiffin stuff is just gold to me. Apparently, Ed Orgeron (who used to coach at Ole Miss and is universally hated there) was on the phone to already-signed recruits during the meeting Kiffin had to tell his players he was leaving. And while on the phone, he was offering these kids scholarships to USC.

Wow, what a set of dirtbags.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: January 14, 2010, 12:53:00 PM

Historically, the Big 10 was the better conference.  In the modern era, I don't think that the Big 10 is as good on the top end as the SEC.  I think that it's going to be very tough in terms of recruiting for the Big 10 to stay competitive against the Pac 10 and the SEC.  Their only hope is to keep drawing underrated linemen from the corn belt and LBs/QBs from Pennsylvania.   I played in the Big 10 over 20 years ago and is has been interesting to watch the mystique of the conference fade.   The game is much different now than it was in the 80's. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: January 14, 2010, 05:26:40 PM

Historically, the Big 10 was the better conference.  In the modern era, I don't think that the Big 10 is as good on the top end as the SEC.  I think that it's going to be very tough in terms of recruiting for the Big 10 to stay competitive against the Pac 10 and the SEC.  Their only hope is to keep drawing underrated linemen from the corn belt and LBs/QBs from Pennsylvania.   I played in the Big 10 over 20 years ago and is has been interesting to watch the mystique of the conference fade.   The game is much different now than it was in the 80's. 

The style of play is the big thing that has left the Big 10 behind more than the recruiting, I think. Big Ten schools are all in places where it gets fucking cold, the speed/long bomb game that is what they like to play in the south and on the west coast is just not really feasible in a climate where at least 4 of your games are likely to be played with a gametime temp below 40. Add to that the fact that EVERY team gets pumped up and brings their best game to the plate for Ohio State and Michigan, and you have a conference where almost invariably the Champ is going to have 1 loss if not 2.

You add into that the fact that the rust belt cities where a lot of the players came from are either declining in population heavily (like Detroit), or have had huge demographic shifts over the last 20 years (like Chicago) and it changes things quite a bit. Football is a very expensive sport and less and less kids are playing it in the midwest.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #541 on: January 15, 2010, 12:31:09 PM

The Tennessee job is strangely toxic. Utah's Kyle Whittingham apparently turned it down despite it being a 300% raise.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: January 15, 2010, 12:32:23 PM

The Tennessee job is strangely toxic. Utah's Kyle Whittingham apparently turned it down despite it being a 300% raise.

Even people who live in Utah don't want to live in Tennessee?

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #543 on: January 15, 2010, 01:46:08 PM

When the coach of Duke turns you down, that's saying something.

In news that no one but me cares about, the Skip Holtz hire at USF looks like a good one.  I saw him at the rally today and he has great, positive energy, he's a good speaker and is very personable.  He has a solid track record (some shaky years at South Carolina notwithstanding) and has a lot of local ties.  Can he bring some consistency to the Bulls and take them to the next level?  Time will tell but he has a better shot at it than his predecessor did.

Over and out.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #544 on: January 15, 2010, 03:31:24 PM

Derek Dooley from LA Tech is going to take the Tennessee job.

You might know him better as "That guy who's Vince Dooley's son."

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: January 15, 2010, 03:51:10 PM

I really wish you'd tell more people that, we have assholes like you moving down here all the time.
Yes, TN sucks, stay away.

Dooley eh?  Not a good record at LT, but we'll see.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: January 15, 2010, 04:12:01 PM

I really wish you'd tell more people that, we have assholes like you moving down here all the time.
Yes, TN sucks, stay away.

Dooley eh?  Not a good record at LT, but we'll see.

No I'm pretty sure most of the assholes like me (which is to say, native Californian assholes) who move to states who don't want them go to Oregon and Washington.  why so serious?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 04:19:05 PM by Ingmar »

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #547 on: January 15, 2010, 04:18:02 PM

Nah, too much rain, too many hippies, and too much bad football.  awesome, for real

But seriously, Knoxville does suck. Nashville, however, is one of the cooler towns in the South. If you can't have fun there, you're broken.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: January 15, 2010, 05:44:00 PM

I'd have said Waffle House.
Not all you can eat.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: January 15, 2010, 08:50:16 PM

I don't have much to add to the whole Lame Kitten kerfuffle so I'll just leave you with the wise words of one Charles Barkley on how Lane continues to get jobs:

"Lane Kiffin has got to have pictures of somebody having sex with a monkey."

http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/01/15/charles-barkley-shares-theory-on-lane-kiffins-new-job/

most often known as Drevik
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #550 on: January 16, 2010, 03:59:44 PM

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: January 17, 2010, 08:21:29 AM

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #552 on: January 17, 2010, 10:05:08 AM

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: January 17, 2010, 10:21:43 AM

The comments on that are bleedingly stupid.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 College Football  
Jump to: