Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:57:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Competitive TF2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Competitive TF2  (Read 44890 times)
Ray_
Terracotta Army

on: July 01, 2009, 12:39:53 AM

Do any of you people play competitive TF2? Does F13 have a team? Hit me up on Steam if so - Ray_ is my Steam name I think - and we can scrim if you're down.

Anyone play on the Lost Continents? Best pub servers around in terms of competition.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3144994

Quote from: Zoolooman
These are the Lost Continents...

[timg]http://www.zoolooman.com/tf2/lostcontinents2.jpg[/timg]

R1CH has provided a total of FIVE servers for Team Fortress 2.

Server Name: Lost Continents - Mu
Player Limit: 24
Address: 74.86.155.170

Server Name: Lost Continents - Atlantis
Address: 74.86.154.2

Server Name: Lost Continents - Lemuria
Player Limit: 22
Address: 74.86.155.168

Server Name: Lost Continents - Hyperborea :siren: add to your favorites :siren:
Address: 74.86.155.171

Server Name: Lost Continents - Thule
Address: 74.86.155.169

:siren: THE SERVERS ARE OPEN WITH KICK-A-PUBBY FUNCTIONALITY :siren:

GUIDELINES:

1. Try to use a class your team needs.

2. Try to keep the teams even.

3. Try to fill up one server at a time.  One full server is better than three half-empty servers.

4. Do not gimmick unless the teams are smaller than 6 vs 6.

5. Do not teamstack.

MAP LIST:

Mu

cp_badlands
pl_hoodoo_final
koth_waste_final (CUSTOM)
cp_dustbowl
cp_well
pl_frontier (CUSTOM)
cp_steel
plr_pipeline
cp_granary
pl_goldrush
cp_gravelpit
pl_badwater

Atlantis (NO CRITS / NO DAMAGE SPREAD)

cp_well
cp_granary
cp_gravelpit
cp_badlands

Lemuria (ARENA / NO CRITS):

arena_lumberyard
arena_waste_final (CUSTOM)
arena_granary
arena_sawmill
arena_well
arena_offblast_b1 (CUSTOM)
arena_ravine
arena_badlands
arena_harvest_v2  (CUSTOM)
arena_nucleus
arena_watchtower

Hyperborea

cp_badlands
pl_hoodoo_final
koth_waste_final (CUSTOM)
cp_dustbowl
cp_well
pl_frontier (CUSTOM)
cp_steel
plr_pipeline
cp_granary
pl_goldrush
cp_gravelpit
pl_badwater

Thule

cp_well
pl_badwater
cp_granary
cp_gravelpit
cp_badlands

COMMUNICATION:

There is a Steam Community group for these servers: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/lostcontinents

And you can message me via:

IRC at irc.synirc.net #mu
AIM at zooloomansharp
Or Steam at Zoolooman

:siren: ALL MUST REGISTER :siren:

Please go to http://www.tf2goons.com/ and register your SteamID on the Lost Continent servers.  If you have a non-goon friend who you want to register, you may use this system to register him as well, so that he may play on the servers.

What TF2goons can do for you:

1. Register you on these servers.
2. Register your non-goon friends on these servers.
3. Automatically invite you to the Lost Continents community group.
4. Kick-A-Pubby!

Why register?

Registered goons can use kick-a-pubby to kick a pubby from a full server.

Registered goons and friends are immune to kick-a-pubby's baleful powers.

Register today!

[timg]http://www.zoolooman.com/tf2/thule.jpg[/timg]

Ray_
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:39:12 AM

doh
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:40:46 AM by Ray_ »
Ray
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 08:40:11 AM

I read the last few pages and saw that some of you were talking about competitive play, and I thought I'd add some random thoughts:

- 6v6 no crits, no damage spread, 2 each class except for demo and medic which are 1 each, play to 5 wins, use mp_tournament mode and specific server configs (IE cevo_push.cfg for push maps)

- It's very very very fun. The format seems restrictive, but it allows for the best balance between individual and team skill while discouraging crappy un-fun tactics and minimizing the random bits of the game - stuff like crits, excessive spam, getting into 8v2 situations, etc

- I've played 8v8 and highlander in leagues and while both are fun to a degree (and we were successful at them, to say the least), they don't match the rush and thrill of a good 6v6 match

- Most of the 6v6 teams out there aren't any good at all. There's a top tier of like 10 teams that are really good, then there's another 10-20 that are good, then there's like 200 that aren't good at all

- 6v6 turns TF2 into a highly strategic game with a lot of depth. It's almost like an entirely new game.

- The basic 6v6 team will run 1 medic, 2 soldiers, 2 scouts, and 1 demo. The scouts will "flex" to other classes like sniper or spy as needed. Sometimes one of the soldiers is subbed for a heavy - this is popular in Europe - but on maps where you have to get to the mid quickly (granary, badlands, etc) you're at an extreme disadvantage

- If you get into 6v6, fire up your IRC client again. Most of the TF2 stuff goes on at irc.gamesurge.net. There's a few channels to know: #tf2.gather.us and/or #tf2pug and/or #tf2pug.na for automated pugs. #tf2scrim to find a scrim for your team. #tf2ringer if you want to ring for an established team.

- Two websites to check out:

http://www.gotfrag.com/tf2/home/
http://communityfortress.com/

Finally, you can skip my entire post and read this article by a buddy of mine:
A Beginner's Guide to Competitive TF2 http://www.gotfrag.com/tf2/story/43759/
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 09:17:27 AM

I used to follow you around, but that was months ago :) I stopped playing TF2 seriously, it got kind of boring!

I am still on the LC steam group, I get those notifications every once in a while.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 09:24:12 AM

I've been playing it daily over the past month or two and I'm starting to burn out. But, that's the case with all shooters right now. Can't even bring myself to play COD4.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 03:36:00 PM

I want COD4 but not COD4. I want an MMOFPS that's like COD4 style reward system. M.A.G?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 03:40:54 PM

I'm still playing TF2 almost nightly.  Even with all the vagaries of pub play I still prefer it to Serious Business competitive play.  A few nights ago I played a round where the entire team went Heavy and steamrolled our way through Dustbowl.  You don't get good times like that in "serious" games.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 03:45:52 PM

Yeah, nothing like the entire team playing spy but all disguising as friendly heavies to confuse the other side into  submission. Best goldrush ever.
Ray
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 08:38:43 AM

I'm still playing TF2 almost nightly.  Even with all the vagaries of pub play I still prefer it to Serious Business competitive play.  A few nights ago I played a round where the entire team went Heavy and steamrolled our way through Dustbowl.  You don't get good times like that in "serious" games.

Have you ever even played a real 6v6 match?

Yeah, you don't get "good times" - consisting of your entire team gimmicking and the other team being terrible all while playing a terrible map - like that in "serious" games. The fun in "serious" games is derived from the thrill of competition, the feeling of camaraderie, and the exhibition of personal skill. Airshotting a sticky-jumping demo with a rocket while you're defending the spire on badlands doesn't really ever happen in a pub because you've got 3 sniper dots on you and nobody knows how to sticky-jump or rocketjump anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I still play on pubs (see my post above) and have fun. I'm just suggesting that you don't knock competitive play until you actually try it.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 08:49:50 AM

"Competitive" play in my experience consists more of one team making up new rules on the spot and then ragequitting when the other team doesn't follow them.   awesome, for real  But I am grateful that it exists because it keeps the "competitive" players off the servers I like to play on.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ray
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 10:23:53 AM

"Competitive" play in my experience consists more of one team making up new rules on the spot and then ragequitting when the other team doesn't follow them.   awesome, for real  But I am grateful that it exists because it keeps the "competitive" players off the servers I like to play on.

...yeah

Competitive TF2 follows a set standard of rules across the majority of leagues. There's very little rules lawyering during matches or scrims.

Why do you dislike people that play in leagues?
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 12:13:21 PM

I know why I don't like them. It's because the "competitive" players are usually dicks.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 12:52:09 PM

I know why I don't like them. It's because the "competitive" players are usually dicks.

They have to be. Anybody who's truly competitive will do anything to win. See Baseball and its steroid plagued masses. It applies in life to: the people who are competitive and work their ass off to win will get ahead. They've got no time for scrubs who get in their way towards their goal.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 01:11:23 PM

I need to find a server where everyone is really bad, so I can fit in.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 01:27:11 PM

Maybe you should start playing at the same time I do again, then. At least you'd always have me to beat.  Heart

God Save the Horn Players
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 02:31:22 PM

I'd be willing to play on a Noob-Skill-Only-Regardless-of-Amount-Played server if you made one.  My skills don't stack up, which is one of the reasons I stopped playing.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 09:08:01 PM

Airshotting a sticky-jumping demo with a rocket while you're defending the spire on badlands doesn't really ever happen in a pub because you've got 3 sniper dots on you and nobody knows how to sticky-jump or rocketjump anyway.

Do you play on bad pub servers or something? That doesn't even sound particularly hard.

Also, no snipers in "competitive play"?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ray_
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 04:54:27 PM

Airshotting a sticky-jumping demo with a rocket while you're defending the spire on badlands doesn't really ever happen in a pub because you've got 3 sniper dots on you and nobody knows how to sticky-jump or rocketjump anyway.

Do you play on bad pub servers or something? That doesn't even sound particularly hard.

Also, no snipers in "competitive play"?

It's not particularly hard, but it's satisfying. When's the last time you got airshot on a pub? The only times for me is when there were players who also play 6v6 on the other team.

There are snipers, but never 3 of them and hardly ever 2 of them. Why would you waste 2 of your 6 slots on snipers except under very specific scenarios? Even running 1 is a waste most of the time unless the sniper is exceptionally good.

You play sniper almost exclusively, I'm guessing.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 05:07:38 PM

You'd be correct. From your statements, I read that as saying "hurr no one plays sniper in 6v6." The servers I usually play on have been limiting snipers to 2, so when they're filled I alt over to medic or heavy. Maybe soldier since someone finally told me how to rocket jump.

Last time I got an airshot on a pub? With a soldier, or anything? I got a solder one last time I played, though I don't play the class often. I airshot constantly with sniper.

And yes, it is satisfying.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS Just like when someone think they are hiding behind a corner, but the tip of something is sticking out for me to snipe off.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 02:48:41 PM

Why do you have two accounts Ray?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ray
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 03:01:31 PM

Because one/both were pre-banned when this site was first created :)

Edit: Meaning that one was created, then banned, then I created another one. At some point (I think when we were trying to line up a UT2k4 team DM match?) someone unbanned the first one.

Edit x2:

Code:
Name:  	Ray
Position: Terracotta Army
Date Registered: March 19, 2004, 04:20:16 PM

Name:  Ray_
Position: Terracotta Army
Date Registered: May 02, 2004, 10:15:01 AM
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 03:04:19 PM by Ray »
Ray
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 03:09:15 PM

You'd be correct. From your statements, I read that as saying "hurr no one plays sniper in 6v6." The servers I usually play on have been limiting snipers to 2, so when they're filled I alt over to medic or heavy. Maybe soldier since someone finally told me how to rocket jump.

Last time I got an airshot on a pub? With a soldier, or anything? I got a solder one last time I played, though I don't play the class often. I airshot constantly with sniper.

And yes, it is satisfying.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS Just like when someone think they are hiding behind a corner, but the tip of something is sticking out for me to snipe off.

Airshot = a direct hit on an opponent with a rocket or pipe (projectiles only, hitscans don't "count") while the opponent is in mid-air (usually rocket- or sticky-jumping, but I suppose falling or a scout double-jumping would "count" as well)

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 03:12:30 PM

Come to the IktR server or LostBrother Hood server, or any sever that has 24 hour orange X.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 03:21:46 PM

Airshot = a direct hit on an opponent with a rocket or pipe (projectiles only, hitscans don't "count") while the opponent is in mid-air (usually rocket- or sticky-jumping, but I suppose falling or a scout double-jumping would "count" as well)

I got an airshot as a sniper on a pub just last weekend.  It was  DRILLING AND MANLINESS.

Ray_
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 04:44:55 PM

I got an airshot as a sniper on a pub just last weekend.  It was  DRILLING AND MANLINESS.

Stop trolling me :(
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 04:48:38 PM

Only if you stop stealing my pudding from the break room fridge.

schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 04:48:53 PM

How can you not airshot as a sniper? You get at least 50 chances on 2fort over the course of 15 minutes no matter what server you're on. You'd have to actively be trying to not hit scouts and soldiers to NOT get airshots.
Ray_
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 05:02:07 PM

How can you not airshot as a sniper? You get at least 50 chances on 2fort over the course of 15 minutes no matter what server you're on. You'd have to actively be trying to not hit scouts and soldiers to NOT get airshots.

It's just the terminology. It's technically still an airshot, just when people say something like "check out this sweet airshot in this frag video" you know they're either talking about a rocket or a pipe airshot, for example.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 05:04:49 PM

Anyone who said that to me, I'd know they're talking insane.
Ray
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 05:10:42 PM

Ugh crap, posted with wrong account.

Anyway, check out this soldier frag video. Reptile is one of the best NA soldiers and it's pretty impressive. Note that this is 8 months old, and much of the footage is from before crits were disabled in league play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MirFQlikIXY
Ray
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 07, 2009, 05:11:57 PM

Anyone who said that to me, I'd know they're talking insane.

I don't follow. You've never seen a frag video?
Xurtan
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 07, 2009, 05:27:00 PM

Helps to have a medic follow you everywhere, but some nice airshots. What is that blue line that is allowing him to (apparently) see through walls, at 2:56?
Ray
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 07, 2009, 05:33:27 PM

Well yeah, in 6v6 the medic always stays with his soldiers. Generally one is designated as the "pocket" and the other is in more of a roamer mode and they switch off as needed.

I mean, medics should be pocketing a soldier/heavy/good demo in pub play too, but most don't. Medics generally should never be in triage mode and should NEVER run across the map or more than a few feet away from their pocket.

The blue line is from wireframe mode I believe. These are all from recorded demos and then played back later, so you can do interesting things with camera angles and effects and shit.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #33 on: July 07, 2009, 05:36:11 PM

I've never found soldier highlights to be that impressive. Same with demo. Splash damage makes it bit easier. Some good air shots, but it's not like they're impossible to do if you understand the basics of leading.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #34 on: July 07, 2009, 05:40:51 PM

It's just the terminology. It's technically still an airshot, just when people say something like "check out this sweet airshot in this frag video" you know they're either talking about a rocket or a pipe airshot, for example.

Or an arrow airshot.  Rifles are for pussies IMO.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Competitive TF2  
Jump to: