Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:38:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: China Bans Gold Farming 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: China Bans Gold Farming  (Read 24169 times)
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

on: June 29, 2009, 02:09:51 PM

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 02:11:20 PM

Well there goes 75% of the WoW subs!   why so serious?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 02:11:45 PM

ni hao?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 02:12:33 PM

pifft, can't stop the spice.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 02:15:26 PM

Frontpaged.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 02:18:37 PM

More interestingly, the ban also includes 'prepaid cards for cyber games'. I wonder if this also includes microtransactions and other 'legitimate RMT' activities?

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 02:19:16 PM

The most popular form of virtual currency in China is called "QQ coins"
Jesus Christ, this shit just writes itself.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 02:20:07 PM

The most popular form of virtual currency in China is called "QQ coins"
Jesus Christ, this shit just writes itself.
The SoJ:Yuan exchange rate is going to fucking skyrocket.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 02:23:22 PM

More interestingly, the ban also includes 'prepaid cards for cyber games'. I wonder if this also includes microtransactions and other 'legitimate RMT' activities?

That was the part that stuck out to me as well, actually.  It could be farther reaching than it looks.  Anyway, now we have a moral dilemma.  Do we not buy gold because it hurts MMOs and is against the EULA, or do we support the little man in defying the oppressive chinese government!
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 02:26:57 PM

Nothing in there says you can't trade real money for virtual stuff. This is a crackdown on the parallel currency QQ coin has become .

<edit> "Under the new rules, using virtual money for gambling will be punished by public security authorities, and minors may not buy virtual money." from the press release. That seems a bigger impact. The press release says nothing about gold farming, just virtual currency. Linden Dollars, not wow gold.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 02:34:18 PM by rattran »
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 02:30:52 PM

"The virtual currency, which is converted into real money at a certain exchange rate, will only be allowed to trade in virtual goods and services provided by its issuer, not real goods and services,"

This is the line that to me explains the game card thing.  The key word is "issuer"  if ncsoft or blizzard or any company wants to sell gold or time cards they can but if you aren't affiliated with the currency you're selling, no dice.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 02:36:43 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.

And yeah, WoW subs drop by half.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 02:42:38 PM

Eh, let's see how frequently this is enforced.

Just about any business conducted in China is illegal in some regard, yet prosecution is very selective.

Alienate the wrong person who possesses the political wherewithal and life, all of a sudden, becomes very harsh for one.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 02:44:50 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.

And yeah, WoW MMO subs drop by half.
That.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 02:55:18 PM

Yea... but now MMO publishers have someone to complain to.
Weather they chose to or not is another story.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 03:01:44 PM

So whats the verdict, is this good for the MMO industry, or horrible?
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 03:12:06 PM

As I posted elsewhere, I don't imagine this will be enforced against mainland chinese working steady jobs to farm gold to be exclusively sold to gweilo. Its main effect will be to drive underground or localize the intra-chinese trade in in-game currency.
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 03:13:02 PM

Most likely will not get enforced. imo, if it were enforced, it would be incredibly beneficial. But of course, I'm the most rabid anti RMT person you'll probably ever meet.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 03:29:43 PM

Let's play Devil's Advocate and assume that it is enforced to the letter of the law.

What's the benefit Mopps?

(I'm not taking a stance, I'm asking for yours)

Grimwell
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 03:36:09 PM

My brother-in-law's gold farming business is looking in to using servers in Canada. 

I do not know the ins and outs of how he is doing this, but technically his workers will be playing the game in North America now.  The gold and all real money transactions will be outside China.  Nice way to get around the rules and I imagine the other RMT operations will be doing something similar as well.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 03:36:33 PM

Assuming that we're reading the translation correctly and it really does mean "no more gold farming in china" and the government will behead anyone caught grinding those blood elves in aszhara, it would lead to a significant rise in gold prices for six months to a year while companies retool to other disadvantaged regions like eastern europe, vietnam, india, etc.

And yes, of course gold farmers are bad for the game. CS calls, scamming, abusive behavior, crowding out legit players, etc. Do we really need to go over this again?
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 03:41:59 PM

Let's play Devil's Advocate and assume that it is enforced to the letter of the law.

What's the benefit Mopps?

(I'm not taking a stance, I'm asking for yours)

Well... in SOE games it wont make a difference. You got me there.  awesome, for real
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 03:54:34 PM

If fully enforced it does sound like a fair amount of lost wages on the lower end guys. That might not actually be very good for China's economy.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 04:18:09 PM

Drastic decrease in subs is considered a good thing in what universe?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 04:24:49 PM

Proof this will lead to drastic decrease in subs?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 04:27:05 PM

You'll see a moderate short term decrease in the amount of farmers, a small to moderate spike in gold prices in the near future. Once the companies find workarounds (basing the company outside of China being the most obvious) it'll be business as usual.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 04:34:31 PM

so basically this will just result in more outsourced jobs in India?   ACK!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 04:38:35 PM

This will be very interesting to watch. My bet is on outsourcing, or just operating illegally. I'm guessing we as players won't see too much change. Farmers will still surely operate, but spamming might drop a bit.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 04:40:27 PM

I really think that Developers don't see RMT as anything more than a PR problem and that's why they never bother to really crack down on it. The only game to do anything to make it less annoying was Turbine/LOTRO with their Rightclick>Golderspammer so you can put them on ignore fairly quickly. I doubt they do anything with the information.

If they really wanted to deal with it, they have to introduce rudimentary logging of player transactions (something as simple as: If %todaysnetworth% > 100 * %yesterdaysnetworth% then %Suspect% = yes)
Then actually ban players for buying it, instead of the gold farmers which are almost impossible to catch. The shit would end real fast. But getting a company to give up a single customer for betterment of their other customers is probably never going to happen. You basically have to stand in the center of your mmos capital city yelling racial slurs for hours on end to get banned nowadays.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 04:40:44 PM

This is a boon for all of southeast Asia.

AKA Gyoza
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 29, 2009, 04:47:25 PM

Proof this will lead to drastic decrease in subs?

Err we going to do the how many gold farmers in the mmo market debate?
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 05:03:23 PM

The point is if people still want it, they'll still get it.  So farmers in other regions will just expand their business.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 05:06:26 PM

I really think that Developers don't see RMT as anything more than a PR problem and that's why they never bother to really crack down on it. The only game to do anything to make it less annoying was Turbine/LOTRO with their Rightclick>Golderspammer so you can put them on ignore fairly quickly. I doubt they do anything with the information.

If they really wanted to deal with it, they have to introduce rudimentary logging of player transactions (something as simple as: If %todaysnetworth% > 100 * %yesterdaysnetworth% then %Suspect% = yes)
Then actually ban players for buying it, instead of the gold farmers which are almost impossible to catch. The shit would end real fast. But getting a company to give up a single customer for betterment of their other customers is probably never going to happen. You basically have to stand in the center of your mmos capital city yelling racial slurs for hours on end to get banned nowadays.

Coming from FFXI, SE considered RMT a little more than a PR problem. They did quite a bit to curb the "problem."

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 29, 2009, 05:21:08 PM

Coming from FFXI, SE considered RMT a little more than a PR problem. They did quite a bit to curb the "problem."
Correct me if I'm wrong as this is all from heresay as I would never play that fucking horrible game, but didn't it take them years to make a dent in RMT? Wasn't FFXXI the worst offender of them all for a significant period of time?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 05:38:59 PM

WoW has Right Click > Report Spam as well. I don't see how this will make a huge impact, the farming industry will just move elsewhere.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: China Bans Gold Farming  
Jump to: