Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:14:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: LOTD. Mythic finally did something right. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LOTD. Mythic finally did something right.  (Read 49097 times)
Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

on: June 23, 2009, 11:59:44 PM

They named it properly because this game will now be dead before the year is out.

Hardly anyone seems happy on the officials regarding how the Live event was handled as there was a lot of wasted effort. Now plenty of players are finally waking up to the reality that a two faction system with this new zone is going to create even bigger holes. Subs have pulled finally pulled out the rubber hoses and are beating Mythic heavily with them. Some great titles:

LOTD let me get this right...we win..but I can't go there because of too many players?

LoTD should have been an RvR zone for both realms at the same time

LoTD "free" day. Thanks Mythic

Dear Mythic

Mythic got some more good news... "This morning NCSoft revealed the launch dates for its upcoming MMO Aion. The game will go live in North America on September 22nd and in Europe on September 25th." When every game will be fighting for subs as school restarts.

Well played NCSoft. Well played.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 01:13:12 AM

What is this LOTD event?

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 01:59:12 AM

Rise of the Tomb King Live Event Winners!

As the Rise of the Tomb Kings Live Event draws to a close today, we've had Dwarfs and Goblins working around the clock, tallying Expedition Resource Points, and determining the winning Realm on each server. It was very a close competition, with the lead swapping back and forth from one Realm to the next several times throughout the duration of the Live Event. The Realm that wins early access to the Land of the Dead content will have one day of uninterrupted time in the Necropolis of Zandri (this does not include the Tomb of the Vulture Lord).

When the servers come back up today, the winning Realm will be able to fly to the Necropolis of Zandri via the Flight Master in their capital city. Expedition Resources will drop during this early access period, but you cannot turn them in—they will expire. The early access will end tomorrow at approximately 10:00 AM EDT, at which point players will be able to turn in Expedition Resources to the Expedition Resource Quartermasters once again, and control of the Land of the Dead will be up for grabs!

Without further ado, here are our winners! Congratulations everyone!

Badlands – Order
Dark Crag – Order
Darklands – Destruction
Gorfang – Destruction
Iron Rock – Order
Ironfist – Order
Magnus – Order
Monolith – Destruction
Ostermark – Order
Phoenix Throne – Destruction
Praag – Destruction
Skull Throne – Order
Volkmar – Order
Vortex – Order

It appears they wanted everyone to know that Order is overpowered.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 02:16:06 AM

"Hehe, with order out in LotD, we destro took it to altdorf today/tonight on ironrock. You couldn't make it to LotD cuz we were seiging your town. Sorry"

Y'know, every time I think that Mythic can't get more half-assed and unprofessional, they top themselves.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 06:22:44 AM

This is my favorite quote from one of the threads on the official boards.

I hate to say it, but IMO there is no end-game here.   The closest thing they have to an end-game, post-37 is Open RvR in the lakes.   

Clearly taking the forts and keeps don't matter, because of the caps, crashes, and genuine lack of balance between population needed to accomplish the end game tasks VS. how little population is needed by the opposing faction to stop it.

I just don't get how this whole thing happened.  They had such a wonderful core (DAoC) to draw from and all they seemed to take were the worst bits of it.  It's just trainwreck after trainwreck. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 06:47:07 AM

I just don't get how this whole thing happened.  They had such a wonderful core (DAoC) to draw from and all they seemed to take were the worst bits of it.  It's just trainwreck after trainwreck. 

The train wreck was trying to combine DAoC with WOW.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 06:49:19 AM

I agree. 

You'd think that they would have seen that mistake YEARS ago when they added the nightmare PvE rich ToA experience to DAoC. 

People coming to WAR want PvP.  Is that really so difficult to understand?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 07:14:34 AM

A bit of a derail here, but I still contend that the game would be much more enjoyable as-is if everything wasn't so damned interconnected.  The whole concept of having to have alts to do scenarios and PQs on lower levels to lock zones to get to a crashy, buggy PQ just sounds terrible.  Maybe they should have written some things down before they started..... why so serious?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 08:52:09 AM

Heh.  Glad I'm not playing, because the servers I have my different chars on would have both been locked out.

You'd think that they would have seen that mistake YEARS ago when they added the nightmare PvE rich ToA experience to DAoC. 
We'd think that, but Jacobs has been chasing sub numbers since before solid information was out.  He was blinded by it and still seems to be.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 08:57:09 AM

MMO dev houses need to come to grips with the reality that they will never attain the success that WoW has.  NEVER. 

If you want to see a successful MMO model, EvE would be the one I'd emulate.  The damn thing grew with time.

-  Mark Twain
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 09:17:24 AM

Mythic failed to address the core issues that players have been griping about for 9 months.

1. Bad PVE and Bad RVR zone design
2. Boring Leveling
3. Bad client performance
4. PVE and PVP Grinds to obtain or wear gear
5. Poor zone capture design (first too PVE heavy, later 2 hour fucking waits!)
6. Poor Fortress siege design
7. Poor City Invasion design
8. Poor rewards for both winners and losers
9. Population imbalances
10. Horrible, terrible,  horrible class balance

Starting with Patch 1.2 things got out of control especially with the class balance. The bottom line is Mythic didn't play their game competitively so they failed to truly understand the strategies and concepts behind organized RVR.

AION has gotten huge buzz in the Warhammer Community, and Patch 1.3 was a failure because they didn't address class imbalances and population imbalances. So AION stands ready to steal many Warhammer players come the Fall while teasing us with beta events through the summer.  I'm not going to say Warhammer is going to die, but Warhammer is certainly unlikely to ever recover after 6 months of hype and delivering the pile of crap that was Patch 1.3.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 09:20:28 AM

In a surprising news flash the sides that won the event were the overpopulated sides on each server....there is a shock.  I play on Gorfang which Destro won and they have overpopulated the server since....day 1.  I also play on Iron Rock where Order won and they overpopulate there.  Aion cant come fast enough IMO. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 09:22:29 AM

Any MMO that is well made can compete with wow easily (top their peak numbers would be a lot harder) but 5-6mil subs is not unreasonable.  The problem is no game to date has been willing to invest in the time/talent and money it would take to do so.  You don't need to copy eve, you just need to make your game....fun.

I'm looking at you aoc/war.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 09:40:09 AM

It's sad... I must admit. So much wasted potential.  

Tier 1 of WAR seemed to really be a fun gaming experience.  Tier 2 wasn't bad, but was the beginning of the end.  It is in tier 2 where the glaring flaws in the game mechanics start appearing.  The endgame really exposed the problems in full clarity.  This mess is like the icing on the cake.  So much fail. 

-  Mark Twain
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 10:24:44 AM

At this point, I'd rather just kick puppies in a burlap sack than critique WaR.  Both are too easy and too sad to contemplate.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 11:26:34 AM

At this point, I'd rather just kick puppies in a burlap sack than critique WaR.  Both are too easy and too sad to contemplate.

Can't we do both?

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 12:06:20 PM

"Hehe, with order out in LotD, we destro took it to altdorf today/tonight on ironrock. You couldn't make it to LotD cuz we were seiging your town. Sorry"

Y'know, every time I think that Mythic can't get more half-assed and unprofessional, they top themselves.

This was a mistake on the players side.  The flight master to LOTD is available from the refuge camp.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 12:24:47 PM

Any MMO that is well made can compete with wow easily (top their peak numbers would be a lot harder) but 5-6mil subs is not unreasonable.  The problem is no game to date has been willing to invest in the time/talent and money it would take to do so.  You don't need to copy eve, you just need to make your game....fun.

I'm looking at you aoc/war.

why bother when you can make your deadlines with 3-star talent?

funny thing about grumpy developers -- people generally invested in a project tend to complain and make suggestions to IMPROVE things.  They tend to have ideas about DESIGN.

Paul couldn't handle that.  "design by timeline" instead of "design by platform".  Classic failboat.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 02:02:19 PM

It's sad... I must admit. So much wasted potential.  

Tier 1 of WAR seemed to really be a fun gaming experience.  Tier 2 wasn't bad, but was the beginning of the end.  It is in tier 2 where the glaring flaws in the game mechanics start appearing.  The endgame really exposed the problems in full clarity.  This mess is like the icing on the cake.  So much fail. 

Tell me about it. I wanted to love this game, and during T1, I totally did. But then it all dribbled away, and Mythic screwed up again and again and again in trying to figure out what was wrong with their game.

God Save the Horn Players
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 05:35:54 PM

This was a mistake on the players side.  The flight master to LOTD is available from the refuge camp.
It wasn't about the location of the flight master.  They had the choice of exploring the new content or protecting their capital.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 12:35:07 AM

It wasn't about the location of the flight master.  They had the choice of exploring the new content or protecting their capital.

And the problem is?

So they should just not allow people to push to cities because you are too busy farming in LOTD?

On our server Destro didn't complain they just didn't come to defend IC.  You aren't going to push an undefended city past stage 1 anyway.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 08:33:17 AM

I agree. 

People coming to WAR want PvP.  Is that really so difficult to understand?

Are you guys making the assumption that if WoW didn't exist WAR would suck less?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 09:22:31 AM

And the problem is?
It's not a problem, it's comedy.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 10:10:54 AM

Are you guys making the assumption that if WoW didn't exist WAR would suck less?

If WoW didn't have the success that it did, people wouldn't be trying so hard to emulate it.

In the absence of WoW, WAR would be more like DAoC v2.0 and less like the bastard child of WoW and DAoC.  Whether you think that this sucks less is entirely dependent on personal taste.  I loved DAoC and played the hell out of it for 5 years.  DAoC v2.0 would make me much happier than a shitty WoW clone with PvP.    

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:13:09 AM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 11:37:31 AM

And this is where I draw the line. Even if I put aside my personal distaste for DAoC and how much it irks me that people go dewy eyes with nostalgia when they talk about it, even though all it really was was an alternative two already existing turds. I don't think WAR failure was a matter of chasing after WoW dollars and proceeding to fall off the cliff. It failed because it tried to stick with its guns. This is not 2003, if you honestly expect to attract a large number of people, and yes you do need a large number of people in an rvr game, then telling them that banging their dick against a castle for hours on end isn't going to keep anyone for longer then the free trial. WAR at least had some time in beta to at least accept the fact that WAR doesn't have to be played one way and one way only, but they refuse to make the necessary changes, changes they would have made in beta if they even took a quick glance at their competition.

Mythic design WAR with same the type of "I am on my own island" bullshit every failed mmo spouts from the top of their lungs before they crashed under the weight of their own fail. Honestly are we going to argue that design ideas developed during the time when people thought EverQuest and Ultima Online was the shit, and the only free graphical mmo was some java application called Runescape are still applicable today?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 12:07:05 PM

So you're saying that we disagree.  I'm fine with that. 

-  Mark Twain
Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 12:54:03 PM

Another thing done right.  awesome, for real

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 04:10:17 PM

I see gucomics are as unfunny as ever.
Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 10:22:10 PM

Well, they cut him some slack and put a hat on his head to hide the big, empty shiny spot on top of his head at least.
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 10:24:09 PM

Well, they cut him some slack and put a hat on his head to hide the big, empty shiny spot on top of his head at least.
How mature.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 11:10:49 PM

I keep wondering why PA is so popular when its not funny half the time, then I see stuff like that and it reminds me that every single other webcomic ever is unfunny 100% of the time. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 03:51:13 AM

IF I know the game they are referring to, I find PA funny a lot more than 50% of the time, but if you add in the ones I know I am just not getting, it probably drops close to that (although even ones I might not get the real joke, I'll find the language used funny anyway a surprising amount of the time). But yeah, I think gucomics has made me laugh like twice ever.

Girl Genius makes me laugh all the time though. And so does Kate Beaton.  Heart Heart Heart

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 03:52:00 AM

DISCLAIMER: I also find achewood funny a lot of the time, and I know some people HATE that comic.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 07:13:15 AM

Surprisingly LOTD has killed RvR.  When one side is in LOTD there is almost no one to fight or do scenarios with for the opposing side.  To get the 5000 points for your side to enter LOTD you basically have to take 2 zones worth 3000points a piece, but you typically get no RvR and just take BO's and Keeps then sit on your butt for 2 hours.  Well thought out. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #34 on: June 26, 2009, 08:03:50 AM

Surprisingly LOTD has killed RvR.

I'm hoping you're kidding.  This shouldn't have surprised anyone at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: LOTD. Mythic finally did something right.  
Jump to: