Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:57:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Facebook Games - Mafia Wars, et al. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Facebook Games - Mafia Wars, et al.  (Read 100831 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #105 on: June 03, 2010, 12:47:09 PM

He announced it somewhere around here.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #106 on: June 03, 2010, 05:49:46 PM

Well now, that's interesting.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Grimwell
schild
Administrator

Reply #107 on: June 03, 2010, 07:55:53 PM

Hi!
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #108 on: June 04, 2010, 12:00:31 AM

My title can be fixed BTW. I forgot to mention that.

Grimwell
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #109 on: June 04, 2010, 08:54:51 AM

What will your title be?  I think "Light and Airy" would suit you.

Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #110 on: June 04, 2010, 09:41:16 AM

"Stays Crunchy in Milk"

Grimwell
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: June 09, 2010, 09:45:27 AM

I'm glad Frontierville failed to load. I saw the opening graphic and thought "Oh jesus shit not a Farmville clone."

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #112 on: June 09, 2010, 11:56:58 AM

I'm glad Frontierville failed to load. I saw the opening graphic and thought "Oh jesus shit not a Farmville clone."

I'm kind of terrified, but schild has convinced me it is WoW meets Farmville. Won't load for me either, though.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: June 09, 2010, 02:01:14 PM

I got in. I would have preferred if my first 5 minutes of the game didn't involve a dozen offers to notify my friends of how awesome Frontiersville is.

I mean, shit, at least get past unzipping my pants before you want me to spread the word about your prostitution skills.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #114 on: June 10, 2010, 11:26:24 AM

The loading screen needs to have an option to mute the loud obnoxious music.  Especially if it's going to hang at about 70% progress.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: June 10, 2010, 11:32:49 AM

For a company experienced with running Facebook games with multi-million users, they sure seem unable to keep their network running. It may have to do with Frontiersville having more than simplistic game mechanics.

You can mute the music once you're inside.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #116 on: June 10, 2010, 11:56:41 AM

You can mute the music once you're inside.

I figured.  Bad form to start blaring the music before showing me the option to turn it off, though.  IIRC Restaurant City did the same thing and it always pissed me off.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: June 10, 2010, 09:47:04 PM

I played Frontierville the first day it was out. Got a couple levels and then I guess it crashed. Logged in now and that character is gone  why so serious?

Scaling social games is hard  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #118 on: June 11, 2010, 12:20:01 AM

You might notice that "Beta" part on the screen.

With Zynga, there is no such thing as a soft launch. You open the doors and it's not a few hundred or thousand people that trickle in to see what's next; but a few hundred thousand who pour in like a raging torrent and consume the game whole.

No matter how much testing any company does behind the scenes, there is a point where you need real users playing. That old notion of a beta and whatnot.

Frontier didn't get one of those.

I know, wah, wah.  Ohhhhh, I see.

The game team has impressed me with what they have accomplished over the first live day. It's not perfect, but it is much more stable and I'm not seeing anything near as many reloads that cost me a few seconds of play results.

Also, come fertilize my crops. :D

--edit: my numbers aren't internal science. I work on FarmVille and don't have a specific idea of how many people hit it on day one. It wasn't a small number though.

Grimwell
schild
Administrator

Reply #119 on: June 11, 2010, 06:24:30 AM

Frontierville, whether I work for Zynga or not, is the most impressive thing on facebook - period.

Assuming that team gets the stuff behind the signs done in a reasonable amount of time, I dare say it will be as full featured as any MMOG.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: June 11, 2010, 09:56:52 AM

Damn you.  Yet another Facebook game I'll start that has no end to it.

I think I've let all my islanders/villagers/people starve, my plants wither and any pets/animals I'm responsible for die.

There isn't any way to really start over in these things is there?
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: June 11, 2010, 12:48:44 PM

How do I populate my wish list in Frontierville?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #122 on: June 11, 2010, 01:15:53 PM

With some difficulty.   awesome, for real

I think you can only do it from the spot where you see the hole for the thing you want.  So you can wishlist collection items from your collection screen, or construction items when you're staring at a construction screen with holes in it.  But as far as I can tell you can't, for example, add a hammer to your wishlist if you don't have an incomplete building sitting around.

Also, I need more Frontierville friends.

Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #123 on: June 11, 2010, 01:42:37 PM

A while back I said that the hope for worldy MMOs was Facebook. Frontierville is just about there.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: June 11, 2010, 02:08:14 PM

Still can't reconcile the number of pop-ups the game throws at me, some of which are actually detrimental to the "game" by keeping the disappearance timer going while you're doing Facebook stuff. If the game had its way your entire wall posting of every Facebook page would be nothing but Frontierville updates.

Like Schild's.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #125 on: June 11, 2010, 02:28:01 PM

Yeah, the popups are complete ass.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #126 on: June 11, 2010, 03:41:09 PM

I'll look although, like Xanthi, I've abandoned all my Facebook games and very nearly almost Facebook in general.  I think I've maybe said two things since I've threatened to hurt IainC if he didn't feel better.  I'm afraid to look to see what's happened in those games I played for fear of some sort of Facebook shock horror.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: June 11, 2010, 08:47:46 PM

Re: game status updates - you know you can set filters to allow people to only see certain status updates, right?  I finally went in and created friends lists for each of my games after the MIL made a crack to the husband wondering if the employers I'm applying to can see how much Farmville I'm playing.  Which compared to some of my other friends, isn't that much, tbh.  So I set up the friends list filters and cut her out of any updates because I was feeling snarky.  Anyways, I think it does help, unless you're one of my friends who plays multiple games as I do.

And I could use more FrontierVille and Farmville neighbors as well.  I promise to toss out an occasional status update as a teaser once in a while. ;)

Oh, the whole friends lists thing makes me wonder why FB doesn't allow you to set up these custom lists and have them be available on the first level when you're posting an update.  Instead, you have to choose customize, then specific people, then type the name of the list you want.  Would it really be that hard to just let you create a list and then have it be available when you choose your privacy options?

Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #128 on: June 11, 2010, 10:41:01 PM

Apparently yes. :)

I just taught a coworker that whole flow and it has too many steps for sure. Must be a lot of code or something.  awesome, for real

Grimwell
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: June 11, 2010, 11:23:11 PM

I wouldn't be surprised is that was the reason it's not been changed yet in FB - too much code to fix or something.  I need to code my friends lists so I don't have to type out so much, like starting them with z, y, x or something.

Of course, don't forget you and I were talking about how much of a pain it is to add random people as neighbors for the game (especially when you don't have a huge amount of folks on FB) yet still keep your information private.  It would be nice if you could just have games friends who can do the social thing with you but they have no access to your full profile unless you want them to. 

Oh well, friends list filters it is.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: June 12, 2010, 09:07:18 AM

Re: game status updates - you know you can set filters to allow people to only see certain status updates, right?  I finally went in and created friends lists for each of my games after the MIL made a crack to the husband wondering if the employers I'm applying to can see how much Farmville I'm playing.  Which compared to some of my other friends, isn't that much, tbh.  So I set up the friends list filters and cut her out of any updates because I was feeling snarky.  Anyways, I think it does help, unless you're one of my friends who plays multiple games as I do.

And I could use more FrontierVille and Farmville neighbors as well.  I promise to toss out an occasional status update as a teaser once in a while. ;)

Oh, the whole friends lists thing makes me wonder why FB doesn't allow you to set up these custom lists and have them be available on the first level when you're posting an update.  Instead, you have to choose customize, then specific people, then type the name of the list you want.  Would it really be that hard to just let you create a list and then have it be available when you choose your privacy options?

Also, one can hide status updates from any game they want.  I've got a bunch of them hidden.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: June 12, 2010, 09:09:06 AM

With some difficulty.   awesome, for real

I think you can only do it from the spot where you see the hole for the thing you want.  So you can wishlist collection items from your collection screen, or construction items when you're staring at a construction screen with holes in it.  But as far as I can tell you can't, for example, add a hammer to your wishlist if you don't have an incomplete building sitting around.

Also, I need more Frontierville friends.

All I get for the construction thing is to pester my friends by publishing it on my facebook page.  To finish my cabin, I need one of everything: hammer, drill, paint, etc. but I cannot seem to add it to my wishlist.  I see it on other people's wishlists.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: June 12, 2010, 09:34:36 AM

Odd - I can add it only if I already have one. 

An awful lot of clicking in this - those dealies disappear too fast when a popup to publish comes up.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #133 on: June 12, 2010, 09:35:29 AM

Xan - add me on FB. /grimwell or "Craig Dalrymple"

Rhyssa - Do you have your friends in a bunch of groups? I'm running four now - Family, Friends, FarmVille, and FrontierVille

Everyone else sees almost nothing :D

Grimwell
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: June 12, 2010, 12:23:43 PM

An awful lot of clicking in this - those dealies disappear too fast when a popup to publish comes up.

Same here.

Also, is there any way to save what custom group you send out posts to?  FrontierVille (and The Agency) both seem to default to "Everyone" any time it pops up a post to share.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: June 12, 2010, 01:56:23 PM

Grim - well, duh!  Yeah, I have several groups - Farmville, Treasure Isle, CafeWorld, and now FrontierVille.  Everything else is family and friends, so I can get social game friends and not have to worry about them seeing my other status updates.  It still kind of feels like whoring for neighbors though. :(

Caladein - I don't think there is.  That's what I was talking about in my last post - the default publish setting is always Friends and then you have to jump through (minor) hoops to get to a customized list to share with.  If nothing else, let us set the publish level at the game options maybe.  That would make things a bit easier perhaps.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: June 12, 2010, 02:24:14 PM

You can game the bonus timer by keeping the market window up while waiting for another thing to click.

schild
Administrator

Reply #137 on: June 12, 2010, 06:23:30 PM

Frontierville is getting its own thread, not breaking off this one.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: June 12, 2010, 07:19:37 PM

You guys who recommended Desktop Defender just killed my day off.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: June 12, 2010, 10:27:03 PM

:P

AKA Gyoza
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Facebook Games - Mafia Wars, et al.  
Jump to: