Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:48:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: "Oh btw, FFXIV Online in 2010" 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Oh btw, FFXIV Online in 2010"  (Read 464853 times)
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

on: June 02, 2009, 12:44:22 PM

CGI trailer looking pretty cool.

Logo looking pretty ridiculous.

Nothing else known yet.

official "teaser site"
HD trailer
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:20:37 PM by tmp »
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 01:02:20 PM

Catgirls Online II: Pedobears revenge   this guy looks legit

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 01:04:47 PM

Where are the fucking links! I hate work.

Ding:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxteB6BH63w&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:19:17 PM by Draegan »
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 01:41:36 PM

Apparently exclusive for PS3.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 01:47:06 PM

FF has gotten so outlandish in their designs it's become generic. If that makes sense.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 01:56:31 PM

You mean it looks like Final Fantasy.

At least their quality of art is high enough that people can't just imitate it, like say, WoW.

I'm not defending Final Fantasy, I get what you're saying and agree with the whole "less buckles and zippers thing" but let's get real. Any HUGE thing has become generic. Final Fantasy, Mario, Zelda (even Celda), WoW, etc. It's just how things go.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 01:59:13 PM

That's a fair point, it has been like 20 god damn years of FF now or whatever, so it's sorta inevitable.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 02:07:54 PM

Accessible exclusively from PS3 at launch, so likely a PC/Xbox version down the road as well, similar to FFXI.

edit: some barebones wikipedia page up already. Shit that was fast.

Square Enix announced at GDC 2008 that the new MMO will indeed target the Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows operating system, and hinted that Mac and Linux clients are not out of question.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:12:45 PM by tmp »
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 02:23:22 PM

It looked like there was a Galka in a couple of the scenes in the trailer, so I wonder if they're sticking with the FFXI races, if this is supposed to be directly connected to XI or if that was just a coincidence (or just something that kinda looks like a Galka to me).

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 02:26:02 PM

Square Enix announced at GDC 2008 that the new MMO will indeed target the Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows operating system, and hinted that Mac and Linux clients are not out of question.

They're working on a second MMOG as well. So who knows.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 02:32:52 PM

Square Enix Co., Ltd. (Square Enix), announced that FINAL
FANTASY XIV, an all new massively-multiplayer role-playing game (MMORPG), is planned for
simultaneous global release with language support in Japanese, English, French and German.

Platforms: PLAYSTATION® 3 & Windows®
*Details on required PC specifications to be announced at a later date
Languages: Japanese, English, German, French (simultaneous release)
Genre: MMORPG
Release: 2010
MSRP: TBD
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Copyright: © SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.
Development Staff
Producer: Hiromichi Tanaka (FINAL FANTASY I, II, III, XI)
Director: Nobuaki Komoto (FINAL FANTASY IX, XI)
Art Director: Akihiko Yoshida (Vagrant Story®, FINAL FANTASY XII)
Music: Nobuo Uematsu of SMILE PLEASE (FINAL FANTASY series)
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 02:37:11 PM

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 02:39:19 PM

Makes me wonder if it will be small group design like MMOs tend to be now, or if it will be grindfest Xtreme ala FF11. 
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 02:43:31 PM

To grind, or not to grind...

AKA Gyoza
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 03:14:13 PM

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 03:24:31 PM

Please please please please don't fuck this up. I will play this. Just don't *fuck it up.*

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 03:28:41 PM

Somewhere Grunk's head just exploded.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 04:17:23 PM

Please please please please don't fuck this up. I will play this. Just don't *fuck it up.*
Aye.  FFXI with updated graphics and the ability to play solo or in a duo and I'm there.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 04:19:40 PM

If I could barge into the SE offices and make one demand, it would be this:

MAKE A FUCKING INTUITIVE INTERFACE ON THE PC SIDE THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE A GODDAMN CONTROLLER TO PLAY PROPERLY.

That is all.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 04:36:47 PM

MAKE A FUCKING INTUITIVE INTERFACE ON THE PC SIDE THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE A GODDAMN CONTROLLER TO PLAY PROPERLY.

That is all.
Don't get your hopes up. It was developed with the PS2 in mind and I'm assuming this one will be developed with the PS3 in mind.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 04:48:13 PM

Once you got used to the interface and tweaked it a bit, it wasn't that bad (yeah, I know I'm the only one who felt that way). I just can no longer tolerate a game where I'm spending an hour doing nothing LFG.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 05:17:26 PM

Once you got used to the interface and tweaked it a bit, it wasn't that bad (yeah, I know I'm the only one who felt that way). I just can no longer tolerate a game where I'm spending an hour doing nothing LFG.

It was all very very bad.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 05:37:17 PM

That is all.
Don't get your hopes up. It was developed with the PS2 in mind and I'm assuming this one will be developed with the PS3 in mind.

PS2 was more popular even then than the PS3 is now though. I think they'd be wise to not do a straight wholesale port.
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 06:16:09 PM

Supposedly, Square made changes to help increase the solo ability of the game, although groups are still the fastest way to level.  However, for me the kicker was the fact that trying to get the items need to do well in the grind for your job was a grind in itself.  What's that?  I am 51, and I need an Earth Staff and a Light Staff and they're how much?  How do I get that as a bard?  How many subjobs do I need?

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 06:17:14 PM

Wasn't FF Online the one where they deleted your characters if you didn't subscribe for X months?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 07:14:09 PM

Yeah.  Three months. undecided

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 07:20:50 PM

My understanding  is that it's PS3 console exclusive - PC version at day one or nearly?

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 07:26:02 PM

The press release says PS3/PC worldwide release.

I want to desperately play it on the PS3, but I'll probably get it for the PS3.

That said, I imagine I could just download the PC client and use my single account. Or rather, I hope so.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 07:32:53 PM

Wuh? Which one do you desperately want it for? I'd have guessed PS3 for you, but not sure.

If I recall, the same FFXI server could be accessed from PC or PS2. I'm hoping they keep that with PS3. I'd really like to see a full-fledged MMO market emerge on consoles, and think the PS3 is the one that will lead that charge.
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 07:34:31 PM

It's not "think."

The PS3 is the only one with both wifi and ethernet built in and a hard drive in every unit. Without those 2 key things, MMOGs as a mass consumer product will never be huge on other consoles. So that's inevitable. I mean, yea, WoW would shift hard drives like mad for the 360, but I don't see Blizzard porting that thing.

That said, I'd want to do the boring solo-y don't need to chat stuff on the PS3 and the meaty shit on a keyboard and mouse.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 08:26:34 PM

Hopefully it isn't as terrible as FF11.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 08:33:34 PM

Well considering how much Square's been working on moving FFXI away from a lot of the suck of its first few years - UI and control issues notwithstanding - in the past ten months or so, I wouldn't put it completely past them to make at least a solid effort at improving themselves for round two, especially considering that they've been moving team members from the current FFXI live team to FFXIV at a pretty steady pace.
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 04:39:25 AM

Well considering how much Square's been working on moving FFXI away from a lot of the suck of its first few years - UI and control issues notwithstanding - in the past ten months or so, I wouldn't put it completely past them to make at least a solid effort at improving themselves for round two, especially considering that they've been moving team members from the current FFXI live team to FFXIV at a pretty steady pace.

Hmm, the suck factor of requiring a group is still there.  Soloing is more viable, but definitely not how they want you to play.  Some classes, like the puppetmaster and beastmaster can sol, but ultimately, unless you've got a good LS, it's still not quite as accessible as other MMOs.

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 05:16:18 AM

In my opinion soloing should be considerably less helpful than grouping, but it is absolutely vital that you be able to log on for short periods of time and accomplish something that still helps progress your character in whatever manner you want (not locking you into a single path of advancement via either requiring a particular class or making it only one type of activity you can accomplish solo) without having to find a good group.  The thing is it should be clearly and far and away superior to group to get things done.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 05:37:13 AM

I have no problem with groups being the best route to go with but you need to have all the tools available to get the people together.  I did like WARs Open Group idea.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 50 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: "Oh btw, FFXIV Online in 2010"  
Jump to: