Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:26:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: "Oh btw, FFXIV Online in 2010" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Oh btw, FFXIV Online in 2010"  (Read 460692 times)
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1715 on: December 01, 2012, 01:01:17 AM

The anti-grammar snake would of had a field day with it too!
Don't make me cut you.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1716 on: December 07, 2012, 08:34:00 AM

"We won't make a mistake like FFXIV again—if we did, it would be like at the level of destroying the company."  why so serious?
http://kotaku.com/5963155/new-final-fantasy-xiv-director-talks-about-what-went-wrong-with-the-original
Yup, they took that lesson to heart; the new FFXIV is a totally different beast.

Questing and combat preview

why so serious?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1717 on: December 07, 2012, 09:29:17 AM

Yup, they took that lesson to heart; the new FFXIV is a totally different beast.

Questing and combat preview

why so serious?

Hey now... it looks like FF on the skin and there is jumping. WHAT MORE DO YOU PEOPLE WANT?!?  why so serious?

There are a few things that tug at my FFXI nostalgic heart strings though. Music and the pretty ability graphics.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1718 on: December 07, 2012, 10:11:22 AM

What is it with Japanese games and terrible interfaces?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1719 on: December 07, 2012, 11:44:01 AM

Looks like Rift with a FF skin.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1720 on: December 07, 2012, 12:04:48 PM

What is it with Japanese games and terrible interfaces?
PS3.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #1721 on: December 07, 2012, 12:08:56 PM

...oh.

Well, I had been mildly hopeful for the revised FFXIV, but after playing in Tera and GW2 I just can't play in a MMOG where you facetank.  Standing stock-still and casting while giant things try to eat your head is just sad to see in a game that's coming out in 2013.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1722 on: December 07, 2012, 12:17:42 PM

The Time To Kill one mob in that video seems to be longer than the attention span of the average 2012 gamer. I am worried for the mental health of the people making design and decisions there at Square Enix.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1723 on: December 07, 2012, 12:28:06 PM

FF11 was even worse. The whole game was like "What if the Japanese did Everquest?" where it took extraordinary effort to complete even the earliest quests and ridiculous amounts of grinding and standing around (Chocobo License) to get fucking anything. I played long enough to get whatever the set of armor is after bronze (which was a hilariously awful looking armor set) and a decent weapon and it took what felt like fucking DAYS. Standing around inspecting mobs so I didn't pull that one thing that looks like every other thing in this area but will rape my face off.

Fighting crabs for hours.

Fuck FF11.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Terracotta Army

Reply #1724 on: December 07, 2012, 12:55:34 PM

FF11 was even worse. The whole game was like "What if the Japanese did Everquest?" where it took extraordinary effort to complete even the earliest quests and ridiculous amounts of grinding and standing around (Chocobo License) to get fucking anything. I played long enough to get whatever the set of armor is after bronze (which was a hilariously awful looking armor set) and a decent weapon and it took what felt like fucking DAYS. Standing around inspecting mobs so I didn't pull that one thing that looks like every other thing in this area but will rape my face off.

Fuck FF11.

But back then I didn't know any better since I never EQ'd. FFXI is all I got. Yeah, it was horrible knowing how things CAN run in an MMO...but back then, it was still mysterious and I could put up with the timesinks because again - didn't know any better. Sadly, looks like 14 kept the timesinks and put a quest layer on top. 10 years ago, this would have been cutting edge. 10 long years ago.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #1725 on: December 07, 2012, 12:58:07 PM

Fuck FF11.

Jueno's town music is forever stuck in my mind, haunting the reaches of my subconscious.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #1726 on: December 07, 2012, 01:06:04 PM

Level 8 hoglets that are the size of mini coopers. They also take 45 seconds to kill.

I feel pretty strong being able to sit through that entire video. A weaker man would have killed it after the first fight.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1727 on: December 07, 2012, 01:08:25 PM

Fuck FF11.

Jueno's town music is forever stuck in my mind, haunting the reaches of my subconscious.

edit: 

Holy shit, that video.  If that's how big the hoglets are, how big are the actual hogs?  That combat needs to be about 3-4 times faster.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:17:14 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1728 on: December 07, 2012, 01:39:24 PM

I agree on all the horror stories about FF11, although I have to say that they made sense at the time. Not so pleasant, but they made sense. No one called them fucking insane for it.

A little story, more or less on topic:

My partner only played one MMORPG in her life: FF11. She got addicted to it when it first came out and basically failed a year of school because of it. Couldn't do anything else for almost two years as she ws too addicted. Didn't play any other online game before that, and BECAUSE of that she refuses to ever try any other MMORPG now. Can you imagine what would happen to our life if she ever touched WoW?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1729 on: December 07, 2012, 01:40:57 PM

Fuck me... that combat. It's like I could feel the arthritic old man physically reaching out to touch each of the buttons that signaled another attack would be taking place 2 seconds from the time he hits the button.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1730 on: December 07, 2012, 01:53:44 PM

No one called them fucking insane for it.
Well, there was some eyebrow-risers even back then...

(this was, in fact, so fucking insane that i remembered there's a comic about it to this day)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:55:56 PM by tmp »
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1731 on: December 07, 2012, 07:05:27 PM

Me and my friends fixed that by just remaking our characters over and over until we got the same server.

There were neat ideas in FF11 but there are neat ideas in pretty much all bad MMOs.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1732 on: December 10, 2012, 07:06:40 PM

Let's not forget the linkshell system, where you had to actually equip an item to be in a chat channel with friends. Oh, and they had to run to you in the world and physically give it to you. Oh, and it had a user limit. Oh, and it took precious inventory space. Oh, and you could only equip one at a time, so to switch to another channel you had to go into the cumbersome inventory system.

And the vulkrum dunes.. and forgetting to bind to a crystal... There were so many things wrong about that game that I overlooked at the time because I didn't know any better.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1733 on: December 11, 2012, 01:35:02 AM

I enjoyed the hell out of FF11 but it sure had an amazing pile of broken.

I don't think they ever fixed the chat system bug where messages were lost when you crossed into new zones.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1734 on: December 11, 2012, 01:43:03 AM

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Alpha Test - Now Recruiting Testers!

get an email titled like that with a register now button only to find out (I was actually a bit curious since I did play FF14 when it came out) that you need have an active account to apply  swamp poop

Terracotta Army

Reply #1735 on: December 11, 2012, 03:59:59 AM

Non-leashed mobs was probably my favorite thing about the broken. The Goblin trains in the jungles were insanely entertaining if you were not the one causing it. However, that place comes in second behind the actual train station, Garlaige, where the bat and undead trains run on time.  why so serious?

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1736 on: December 11, 2012, 08:50:21 AM

The linkshell thing was easily the dumbest thing I've ever seen in an MMO.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1737 on: December 11, 2012, 08:52:18 AM

Dumber than 3 health bars?

-Rasix
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1738 on: December 11, 2012, 08:52:55 AM

Non-leashed mobs was probably my favorite thing about the broken.

Non-leashed mobs were awesome. Over time MMOs have done a great job of sucking out the spontaneity and adventure. To me non-leashed mobs are "broken" in the same way that being to knock your friends off of ledges in Zelda: Four Swords is broken - a legitimate feature that appears "broken" to people who don't really get it.

The game definitely had a lot of just awkward stuff but it also had a lot of fun stuff that added to the worldy-ness without detracting in any real way. It's hilarious that you can be stuck in Selbina for a while asking some high level player to come clear out some goblins that got kited over from the harder part of the Dunes and ultimately is only a minor inconvenience.

I dislike nearly all the changes that made the game friendlier in terms of stuff like enemy AOE effecting you less if you aren't in the target group, leashing changes, etc. (Changes in enemy behavior I guess)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:57:26 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1739 on: December 11, 2012, 09:17:27 AM

Non-leashed mobs were awesome. Over time MMOs have done a great job of sucking out the spontaneity and adventure. To me non-leashed mobs are "broken" in the same way that being to knock your friends off of ledges in Zelda: Four Swords is broken - a legitimate feature that appears "broken" to people who don't really get it.

The game definitely had a lot of just awkward stuff but it also had a lot of fun stuff that added to the worldy-ness without detracting in any real way. It's hilarious that you can be stuck in Selbina for a while asking some high level player to come clear out some goblins that got kited over from the harder part of the Dunes and ultimately is only a minor inconvenience.

I dislike nearly all the changes that made the game friendlier in terms of stuff like enemy AOE effecting you less if you aren't in the target group, leashing changes, etc. (Changes in enemy behavior I guess)

IIRC, I started playing at NA release and the mobs that got trained to zonelines were those mobs even XP groups couldn't handle. This meant everyone zoning out, then sending some poor sap back in to check to see if they were going back to their spawn points. Thing is, they would run back, then pause, then run some more, then pause. If they were not cleared out, the sap zoning would have aggro'd and kept them even longer at the zone line. Goblins in the jungles were horrible at shutting down the zone xp spots for long ass periods of time which meant even longer stays for xp on the mandies. They moved away from the running back part by making the mobs teleport back but still. As a ranger pulling, it wasn't hard to aggro a Goblin especially with the chaotic nature of their pauses and starts/stops. It was not talent that let you pull a mandy while behind a goblin, it was all luck.

The sound of goblin aggro growls still haunt me.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1740 on: December 11, 2012, 09:36:24 AM

Speaking as a Bard that could mez multiple mobs at once and charm (poorly), trains to the zone lines in EQ was one of the best parts of the game* awesome, for real I spent a lot of time in KC practicing "train derailments" on my Bard and Enchanter as well.

* unless there was an ogre blocking the exit in Upper Guk, that sucked
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1741 on: December 11, 2012, 11:31:06 AM

IIRC, I started playing at NA release and the mobs that got trained to zonelines were those mobs even XP groups couldn't handle. This meant everyone zoning out, then sending some poor sap back in to check to see if they were going back to their spawn points. Thing is, they would run back, then pause, then run some more, then pause. If they were not cleared out, the sap zoning would have aggro'd and kept them even longer at the zone line. Goblins in the jungles were horrible at shutting down the zone xp spots for long ass periods of time which meant even longer stays for xp on the mandies. They moved away from the running back part by making the mobs teleport back but still. As a ranger pulling, it wasn't hard to aggro a Goblin especially with the chaotic nature of their pauses and starts/stops. It was not talent that let you pull a mandy while behind a goblin, it was all luck.

The sound of goblin aggro growls still haunt me.

Crawler's Nest.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1742 on: December 11, 2012, 12:59:47 PM

Crawler's Nest.

Yeah... That place could get silly... but frankly, on my server, those were rare and most bad pulls the puller ended up running to a spot and dying. Then a tractor and a raise would clean up the mess. However, I do remember zoning into that place for my RDM boot quest and having a whole slew of crawlers and beetles just making their way back down. And here I was thinking everyone outside the zone was just LFG. :D

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1743 on: January 12, 2013, 07:53:06 PM

Beta testing applications are now open, for those of you who can't wait for the official release of version 2. http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/news/article/betatest_open (the correct link might be different if you are not in north America).

There's also a new trailer, although it doesn't show much gameplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h542YbZuwkQ .
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: "Oh btw, FFXIV Online in 2010"  
Jump to: