Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:16:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092312 times)
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #1400 on: September 04, 2011, 04:29:57 PM

M40/M43 gets the 203mm the T92 gets the 240mm. What Amarr says is right. The only negatives are the shitty accuracy and extremely slow load times. If you enjoy reading the T92 is your arty. I can do 2 - 4 pages between shots. It's not as fun as the M40/M43 for random battles. The M40/M43 is also more profitable.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:36:16 PM by LC »
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1401 on: September 14, 2011, 02:41:13 PM

I got a Panther last night after deciding that I wanted to play more of a sniper role.  Don't think I plan to grind to the E-50 as the Patton has been a bit of a let down from the Pershing and I don't want to go through that again.  I might just settle on the Panther 2, which I hear good things about.  The sniping gun on the Panther has me interested as well, even though it looks way too long on the tank.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1402 on: September 15, 2011, 07:48:12 AM

Patton is a beast what you talking about? Although E50 definitely looks awesome too.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1403 on: September 15, 2011, 07:52:27 AM

Just saw this in the 6.7 patch notes

M46 Patton
- Increased accuracy during movement (now it is equal to M26 Pershing in version 6.4 and previous versions)

Back to it's former glory with bells on.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1404 on: September 15, 2011, 09:17:44 AM

We have Pattons and E50s in our clan, and everyone agrees that the Patton is the bomb, and the E50 is quite quite good. On the other hand, the Pershing is a far far far more robust tank than the Panther II, and its accurate -enough- to do most sniping you need. On the other hand, in a fist fight, the Pershing is probably gonna take the Panther II's lunch money. the T-44 is a more even fight.

The thing with the Patton is that you need to get it to full upgrade to make it the amazing tank that it is. Same thing can be said for most tanks in the game.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1405 on: September 15, 2011, 01:23:49 PM

Engles, another clan mate and I drive our pershings in a wolfpack a lot. It's not too unusual for the three of us to destroy half of the other team.

Also starting tomorrow at 7:30, the Shermans will have double credit multipliers for a couple days.  The thing is already an evil money tank. It's going to be a monster.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1406 on: September 16, 2011, 09:14:03 AM

I picked up the Type 59 last night.  From reading the forums, you would think it was a shitty tank.  Far from it.  Like the KV-5, its a great tank if you know how to use it.  Best things about it so far are:

1) Bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce.  I've never played a tank that had so many shots bounce off of it.  I wouldn't go toe to toe with, say, an IS-4, but I've taken out IS-3's, King Tigers, Ferdis, Pershings, Panthers 1 and 2, T-44's and T-29s.  In 25 matchs, I've gotten 5 Steel Wall awards.  

2) It has a very low profile, making you much harder to hit.  That might be part of the reason for all the bounces.

3) The turret turns incredibly fast.  I was able to track even fast moving tanks, even in close.  This is probably my favourite feature of the Type 59 so far.

The few negatives I've found are:

1) A little slower than other mediums and it doesn't turn as fast.  Its not a huge difference, but its noticable.

2)The gun is a little underpowered for its tier.  Its almost the same gun the T-44 has.

3) Also with the gun, I've found it to not be as accurate as its supposed to be.  My accuracy is usually around 75% but with the Type 59 its sitting at around 70%.  

Overall, I would recommend getting this tank if you're thinking about getting one of the more expensive premium tanks.  I would even suggest getting it over a Lowe since it makes almost as much money as the Lowe but costs significantly less.  Its also a lot more fun to drive.

I haven't tried any of the new tanks yet but the only ones that interest me are the US ones and my new Panther 1 is starting to grow on me so I'll probably get the Panther 2 before anything else.  I've heard some good, and not so good, things about the new tanks.  The Tier 5 lights seem to be placed in games with Tier 10s on a regular basis and are still basically confined to doing suicide runs to locate enemy for arty.  The Chaffee has great gun for its tier (76mm, RPM: 21.05, Damage: 115/110/185, Pen: 137/185/38, Accuracy: .34, Aim Time: 1.5) but getting placed in matches with IS-7s and Maus' with it doesn't interest me.  The Jumbo Sherman seems to be getting some positive reviews (same gun as Easy 8, more armor, slower) so I might go that route after I get the Panther 2.  

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:10:02 AM by Ginaz »
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #1407 on: September 16, 2011, 04:20:47 PM

Can someone do a But Is It Fun on this one? Or do I need to have a tank fetish to enjoy this?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #1408 on: September 16, 2011, 05:00:53 PM

Can someone do a But Is It Fun on this one? Or do I need to have a tank fetish to enjoy this?

It Is Fun.

You don't need a tank fetish, that's entirely optional. If you happen to know that a T34/76 is a better tank than a PzIII, well, then you don't have to look at progression charts as much. It's essentially a drop-in shooter with persistant character development combined with a pretty good combat model.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1409 on: September 16, 2011, 08:45:58 PM

Most importantly, if you're not 13 years old and hopped up on ritalin, it's a fairly slow moving strategic shooter. I'm really not all up about tanks, but I can play this competently, which is something I haven't been able to do with my reflexes since the original Tribes in dial up days.

The developers feelings about tanks are, well, honestly kind of creepy. The hard metal version of furries or something.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1410 on: September 17, 2011, 05:57:07 AM

There is the ever living grind and gold plated ammo. Don't research into a light tank just away and don't experiment cause your not getting your money/exp back. Other than that it is a fun game.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1411 on: September 18, 2011, 06:29:50 PM

The mechanics are fun and it is definitely worth trying. But at a certain point you become aware of the grind required to get into the big tanks and question whether you care enough to get there. For me that happened at Tier 4 when I had a bunch of terrible tanks that I needed to play to get to the other side, was spending a lot of time getting blown up by superior and higher ranked tanks, and the combination of poor winnings and ballooning costs for progression caused me to get distracted by other games. It's still on the hard drive though and I can always come back to it.

Of course if you have ambitions towards being part of an organized guild and get into clan wars then suddenly theres and end-game and a reason to get to the top tier. But at that point you are probably going to be coughing up bucks.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #1412 on: September 19, 2011, 08:05:20 AM

Its counterstrike with tanks. Very polished basic gameplay ,  well modeled  and satisfying to drive tanks. I would never think tank game could be fun ( I dont particularly like tanks at all) but it is  and about 10k+ games (that including beta) I am still there somehow .It is getting stale and some game mechanics are questionable (notably artillery , camping and matchmaker) but you dont lose anything by trying - free2play 100%.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1413 on: September 19, 2011, 08:11:27 AM

No, it's not Counter-Strike with tanks. Tanks don't bounce around and you don't have to play until the letters are worn off your keys to be any good.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1414 on: September 19, 2011, 10:53:34 AM

No, it's not Counter-Strike with tanks. Tanks don't bounce around and you don't have to play until the letters are worn off your keys to be any good.

Learning to play Counter-Strike is "time" consuming depending on your learning curve and how bad/good you are at shooters.
You generally learn how to play WoT around tier 2, with most tanks requiring 5-6 matches to get a hang of. The problem your skill level generally peeks long before you get a tank that you truly like to play, with most people being a tier 5-6 tank. Also any new tank you purchase comes with "beginner suck" sickness that makes all new tanks feel just as shitty as the old one you probably upgraded to near max before selling. This can last for 10 matches at the minimum. Than there is the clanware requirements, that have you field tier 8-10 tanks or go home.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1415 on: September 19, 2011, 01:57:09 PM

The other frustrating thing about the game is it is played on the internet and is free, so it can be full of mouth-breathing 12-year-olds who do things that make no strategic sense. There are generally places certain tank types go. If you take your heavy tank up a hill you might get 2-3 kills of light and medium tanks, however where you were supposed to be just got overrun because you were not there.  That being said, sometimes doing it works.

Exp is a bit wonky too. You are better off spotting and hitting the biggest tanks on the field because they are where the experience is. Shooting the little/easy tanks gives you very little reward.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #1416 on: September 19, 2011, 02:12:33 PM

It's a pretty solid game; it felt good to play and I started picking up the significance of stats and the handling of the tanks as I played, though I was initially overwhelmed. It doesn't have the same ambiance or immersion-factor in its client / game space that I've come to expect from other games. No easing in the player either with tutorials, but the video instructions were effective. But I did enjoy the skirmishes I played and find what they're trying to do respectable and a great divergence from other games of its type. The wiki was necessary to understand the game, but given its complexity, it's appreciated. It gives a lot of useful information, far more than I would expect from any manual, and presents the most critical information first, leaving the more detailed statistical stuff deeper in for me to access if I feel like it.

I can't see myself doing this in the long term though, I'm completely burned out on meaningless progression mechanics. The fact that the word "grind" is thrown around so liberally is scaring me away as well. So is the idea of "Premium players", but I have to research that more.

Then again, I'm playing Solo PUG ...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:14:22 PM by Lorekeep »

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1417 on: September 19, 2011, 02:16:05 PM

If you'd like to try out playing with folks, send me a PM and we can see about getting you in with our clanmates on TS. It does make a significant difference to play with people on TS, even if its just a platoon of three. It increases the fun significantly. Sometimes you want to just put your head down and grind solo in your 'zone', but most of the time, the game's more fun with pals you can coordinate with. Focus-fire is pretty important, and you just can't get that reliably in a 'PUG'

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #1418 on: September 19, 2011, 02:23:48 PM

Cool, thanks. It absolutely makes a difference playing with other *competent* people.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1419 on: September 19, 2011, 03:48:37 PM

Cool, thanks. It absolutely makes a difference playing with other *competent* people.

Sometimes....

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #1420 on: September 20, 2011, 07:52:56 AM

Tiers 1 to 3 are fun. Tier 4 is where the grind kicks in (oh look, 13k XP to unlock tier 5!); combined with Tier 4 being the first bracket where you start getting thrown in as lowbie food for high-tier tanks like Tiger IIs and E50s that you have literally zero chance of damaging and people quit.

Things to do at Tier 4 when you're dead:

- deploy the Derp Gun. The derp gun is mighty! Unlock the KV, upgrade it (which is verrrry painful) and mount the 150mm gun on it. Congrats, you have the derp gun! You will one-shot everything. Of course, it will take you 20 minutes to reload and you move about as fast as your grandmother.

- get a scout. The A20 is a crazy good scout (70mph top speed TOOT TOOT) and is on the path to unlock the T34 which is a pretty decent medium tank. It doesn't matter how big the other guys' tanks are if they can't hit you.

- make sure you have HE ammo loaded for those matches where you can't actually penetrate anything - you can still score crits and make people's lives miserable (knocking off tracks and the like). HE doesn't need to penetrate to score crits.

- buy a cheap premium tank. The T14 is pretty cheap, apparently the Type 59 is good too. Avoid the Lowe, it costs an arm and a leg, and pretty much everyone who drives a Lowe is clueless so the other team aims for them first to get cheap kills.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:59:26 AM by Lum »
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1421 on: September 20, 2011, 08:00:40 AM

Avoid the Lowe, it costs an arm and a leg, and pretty much everyone who drives a Lowe is clueless so the other team aims for them first to get cheap kills.

How would you instruct somebody to use a Lowe properly?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #1422 on: September 20, 2011, 08:04:36 AM

Avoid the Lowe, it costs an arm and a leg, and pretty much everyone who drives a Lowe is clueless so the other team aims for them first to get cheap kills.

How would you instruct somebody to use a Lowe properly?

Well the last time I saw Lowes in a match they had both rammed an E50 and were trying to spin their turrets around to hit all the smaller tanks plinking them to death and failing. So, uh, don't ram E50s.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1423 on: September 20, 2011, 09:05:40 AM

Tiers 1 to 3 are fun. Tier 4 is where the grind kicks in (oh look, 13k XP to unlock tier 5!); combined with Tier 4 being the first bracket where you start getting thrown in as lowbie food for high-tier tanks like Tiger IIs and E50s that you have literally zero chance of damaging and people quit.

- deploy the Derp Gun. The derp gun is mighty! Unlock the KV, upgrade it (which is verrrry painful) and mount the 150mm gun on it. Congrats, you have the derp gun! You will one-shot everything. Of course, it will take you 20 minutes to reload and you move about as fast as your grandmother.

- get a scout. The A20 is a crazy good scout (70mph top speed TOOT TOOT) and is on the path to unlock the T34 which is a pretty decent medium tank. It doesn't matter how big the other guys' tanks are if they can't hit you.

- make sure you have HE ammo loaded for those matches where you can't actually penetrate anything - you can still score crits and make people's lives miserable (knocking off tracks and the like). HE doesn't need to penetrate to score crits.

- buy a cheap premium tank. The T14 is pretty cheap, apparently the Type 59 is good too. Avoid the Lowe, it costs an arm and a leg, and pretty much everyone who drives a Lowe is clueless so the other team aims for them first to get cheap kills.

Derp guns can be a great equalizer when you're the low tier tank in a match with tanks 2 or more tiers above you.  The Hetzer is another one that has access to a derp gun early on, though its not nearly as powerful as the one the KV gets, its reload time is much faster. 

Having a scout tank can work if you know how to play it and don't reduce yourself to suicide runs only.  The new Russian light (T-50?) is good and if you're willing to spend some money, the Locust is also a viable choice.  The other new lights tend to get put into bad games thanks to the matchmaker, though from what I've heard the Chaffee is a beast against tanks at or near its tier.

I've found that the Type 59 has almost the same money making potential as the Lowe, primarily due to the fact that it is cheaper to repair and its ammo costs less.  Its also much more fun to drive.  The Lowe is good and I enjoy mine (got it when it was much cheaper) but I would recommend getting the Type 59 over a Lowe right now if you're just looking for a premium tank to make money with.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1424 on: September 20, 2011, 09:22:41 AM

I agree with everything but the A20 part. The A20 is and the Leo are the last light tanks in the game. Because of this, every battle will pit you against tier 7=10 tanks who bounce all your shots and skeet shoot you long before your radar sees them.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1425 on: September 20, 2011, 09:30:39 AM

I hated the derp gun. I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it and what few times I did hit, the damage was less than exciting. I do fantastic with the larger AP though.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1426 on: September 20, 2011, 10:04:58 AM

I hated the derp gun. I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it and what few times I did hit, the damage was less than exciting. I do fantastic with the larger AP though.

The KV is kind of in its own class as it can do well if played right against even tier 9 tanks with the derp gun and the 107.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #1427 on: September 20, 2011, 12:10:32 PM

I agree with everything but the A20 part. The A20 is and the Leo are the last light tanks in the game. Because of this, every battle will pit you against tier 7=10 tanks who bounce all your shots and skeet shoot you long before your radar sees them.

They actually are not. There is tier 5 scouts now which fit the role of a scout a lot better (and they can actually kill tier7+ arty rather reliably).
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #1428 on: September 20, 2011, 12:50:00 PM

If you're shooting at anything but a SPG in an A20 you are doing it wrong. Your job is to go TOOT TOOT (when horns are patched in A20s will be 50% more awesome) and jink around the battlefield lighting up targets for teammates with actual guns. If you're going 70mph (faster with consumables - supposedly the A20 can hit 110mph pimped out) and not moving in a straight line racing from cover to cover it's going take a really skilled player to land a hit. I get Scout in my A20 quite often in high tier matches and I've heard the Leopard is even better at it (not as much raw speed, better acceleration)  

If you find an SPG in an A20 the best bet is to ram it in the side so it can't swing around and hit you but someone will probably kill you when you do so shrug!

Bought the Type 59 today and played it in a few lunchtime matches and it's really fun. Does stupid well in wolfpacks and I can already see it's going be a hellacious XP/$ farmer. On the other hand I just spent $30 on an Internet Tank so shrug!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:54:27 PM by Lum »
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1429 on: September 20, 2011, 02:13:12 PM

If you're shooting at anything but a SPG in an A20 you are doing it wrong. Your job is to go TOOT TOOT (when horns are patched in A20s will be 50% more awesome) and jink around the battlefield lighting up targets for teammates with actual guns. If you're going 70mph (faster with consumables - supposedly the A20 can hit 110mph pimped out) and not moving in a straight line racing from cover to cover it's going take a really skilled player to land a hit. I get Scout in my A20 quite often in high tier matches and I've heard the Leopard is even better at it (not as much raw speed, better acceleration)  

If you find an SPG in an A20 the best bet is to ram it in the side so it can't swing around and hit you but someone will probably kill you when you do so shrug!

Bought the Type 59 today and played it in a few lunchtime matches and it's really fun. Does stupid well in wolfpacks and I can already see it's going be a hellacious XP/$ farmer. On the other hand I just spent $30 on an Internet Tank so shrug!

If you made it to the enemy SPG your in a tier 4-5 match (ie your speed matters, your gun does hurt mediums, and there is plenty of other tier 3 light tanks to skeet shoot) anyway. Most likely your going to be skeet shooted from an enemy with better sights and radar than you do when you see 1 red blip. Tier 4 light tanks are a waste of time, especially after they nerfed the only way to make xp/cash with them.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #1430 on: September 20, 2011, 03:18:25 PM

On the other hand I just spent $30 on an Internet Tank so shrug!

You mean fiscally supported the developer on a freely offered quality product that you've enjoyed immensely! And they give you a tank for it.

I prefer that explanation to keep the pangs of guilt away.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1431 on: September 20, 2011, 03:34:11 PM

As gaming expenses go, the Lowe I bought comes in pretty favorably in terms of longevity of investment.

It'd probably be more favorable if I wasn't so terrible with it, but I'm getting better.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1432 on: September 20, 2011, 07:13:04 PM

The lowe is a fabulous sniping platform. Its insanely accurate. Aside from that, just about any other tier 8 is better, and the Tiger II is just as accurate. Then again, no tier 8 is gonna net you ~60-90 k credits a match. Well, cept the Type 95. Not sure what that one's doling out on a good match.

Oh, and Lum, don't bitch about a 13k xp grind. The M40/43 needs 300k xp to get to the next arty  swamp poop

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #1433 on: September 21, 2011, 08:32:01 AM

Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1434 on: September 21, 2011, 02:34:31 PM

I'll play this game... here's mine

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: