Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:36:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092210 times)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1365 on: July 23, 2011, 05:24:05 AM

I started on German TD's and found the gun unimpressive. Plus I read that some of the higher level russian TD's have a bit of turret traverse. I'm using the Tier 3 one at the moment. And while it suits my playstyle in terms of sitting back and sniping it seems to have little to offer over the tanks I'm matched against.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1366 on: July 23, 2011, 05:56:13 AM

I have that and it's not so bad once you get the gun upgrade.    Just don't waste time shooting at russian/german heavies and you'll be fine.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1367 on: July 23, 2011, 08:46:42 AM

I'm totally confused by TD's... They have low penetration guns that do great damage, and high penetration guns that do low damage...

I get bounces all the time from the high penetration ones and never seem to get bounces off the low penetration ones.

What you're describing I think is the behavior of the commonly termed 'derp gun'. Essentially, it uses high explosive (HE) rounds rather than armor penetrating (AP) rounds. It does not penetrate, perse, but has high explosive splash damage.

Sounds like you're using an SU-152 that comes with a stock derp gun.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1368 on: July 23, 2011, 09:02:58 AM

Sounds like you're using an SU-152 that comes with a stock derp gun.

I'm going to guess he couldn't possibly make it to the SU-152 and still be confused on that issue.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1369 on: July 23, 2011, 09:59:42 AM

Well, I know Katiri has mostly been focusing on american heavies and mediums, and there aren't many derp guns in that line, so it would be possible that this is the first time he's used one. Dunno tho.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1370 on: July 23, 2011, 10:48:12 AM

I will have to read the text. HE rounds as default make sense.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1371 on: July 23, 2011, 10:22:37 PM

Well, I know Katiri has mostly been focusing on american heavies and mediums, and there aren't many derp guns in that line, so it would be possible that this is the first time he's used one. Dunno tho.

He could be using the howitzers... the 105 in the early American TD line is pretty rapey if you're close enough to hit. 50ish pen but 400 damage.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1372 on: July 24, 2011, 12:10:02 AM

So I started an M5 Stuart today and in 20 matches almost all of them have been against mass Tier 8 tanks.   I started alternating with my KV and it wasn't getting any matches like that.   Even my Ram II isn't going up against more than 1 or 2 tier 8's rarely.   I knew the matchmaker was stupid but this seems like an actual bug or something.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1373 on: July 24, 2011, 12:49:27 AM

M5 is a "scout" tank...

It gets thrown into high tier matches a ton. Just go for scouting exp and die really quick.

And yes, I had never had a gun that only had HE ammo, it makes sense now. Thanks.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1374 on: July 24, 2011, 01:41:05 AM

M5 is a "scout" tank...

It gets thrown into high tier matches a ton.

Ohhhhh, I see.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1375 on: July 24, 2011, 12:07:58 PM

So I started an M5 Stuart today and in 20 matches almost all of them have been against mass Tier 8 tanks.   I started alternating with my KV and it wasn't getting any matches like that.   Even my Ram II isn't going up against more than 1 or 2 tier 8's rarely.   I knew the matchmaker was stupid but this seems like an actual bug or something.

No the matchmaker does this on purpose.  If it has a match with all heavies it feels it has include at least one token medium, light, and arty if it can get them.  Even if those tanks are so low in tier to make them worthless.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1376 on: July 24, 2011, 01:34:30 PM

So I started an M5 Stuart today and in 20 matches almost all of them have been against mass Tier 8 tanks.   I started alternating with my KV and it wasn't getting any matches like that.   Even my Ram II isn't going up against more than 1 or 2 tier 8's rarely.   I knew the matchmaker was stupid but this seems like an actual bug or somethingl

No I don't think it includes "token" tanks exactly.  Just a product of the light tank matchmaking. Unfortunately, light tanks can get matched into tier 9 battles.

http://overlord-wot.blogspot.com/2011/02/new-match-making-chart.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:36:28 PM by Bandit »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1377 on: July 24, 2011, 10:04:57 PM

And because the player-base knows that they tend to avoid them. So if you are driving a tier 4 light a lot of your battles will involve being surrounded by heavy tanks that are effectively invulnerable to you. Even me shooting point blank into the rear of an AFK heavy was largely futile.

- Simond
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1378 on: July 25, 2011, 12:45:14 AM

I finally unlocked the M7 thank god.   The only thing that made dealing with the M5 bearable was that just going banzai into the enemy base lets you get a good chunk of xp when everyone is tier 9.   M7 is a much better scout yet doesn't get such horrible matchups amusingly.
UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #1379 on: July 25, 2011, 08:56:32 AM

So if you are driving a tier 4 light a lot of your battles will involve being surrounded by heavy tanks that are effectively invulnerable to you. Even me shooting point blank into the rear of an AFK heavy was largely futile.

Consider a scout does not need to fire its gun to win.

On open maps there a number of hiding spots one can rush to that light up the enemy team as they deploy from base.

As the fight progress they can provide intel on fallen flanks of both friendly and enemy teams.

They can cap once a hole in the enemy team's line is known.

They can kill any arty in game with a mid to late game arty rush.

Shooting does work when there is no other options.  A T2 Light can crit Teir 10 heavies for example.

Personally I enjoy running a T2 Light in company battles over my Maus.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1380 on: July 25, 2011, 10:00:49 AM

So if you are driving a tier 4 light a lot of your battles will involve being surrounded by heavy tanks that are effectively invulnerable to you. Even me shooting point blank into the rear of an AFK heavy was largely futile.

Consider a scout does not need to fire its gun to win.

On open maps there a number of hiding spots one can rush to that light up the enemy team as they deploy from base.

As the fight progress they can provide intel on fallen flanks of both friendly and enemy teams.

They can cap once a hole in the enemy team's line is known.

They can kill any arty in game with a mid to late game arty rush.

Shooting does work when there is no other options.  A T2 Light can crit Teir 10 heavies for example.

Personally I enjoy running a T2 Light in company battles over my Maus.

All good points.  About the best way I found to run a scout was to platoon up with a couple arty pieces, having on call arty really helps the xp gain. 
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1381 on: July 25, 2011, 11:09:39 AM

I think the problem with scouting is that it's something you do first, but requires more player skills and knowledge of the game and maps than actually driving the later heavies.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1382 on: July 25, 2011, 06:06:25 PM

If you are going to scout from a bush a TD with a substantial camouflage bonus is superior. If you want to scout in heavy dominated games a T9 medium is about as fast, has a higher view range and far improved weapons and armor. I like the scouting gameplay, and sometimes provide an advantage, but mostly it's two clumps going head to head and a visible light tank is a tempting easy kill.

Of course I'm only playing random games. The role of a scout means a lot more in a co-ordinated team.

- Simond
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1383 on: July 26, 2011, 07:28:42 AM

Co-ordinates teams use mediums.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1384 on: July 26, 2011, 09:02:46 AM

A small group (3-4) of well played mediums can dominate on almost any map.  Thats in random battles, not sure about clan wars.  I would think the gold ammo used in clan wars would offset their strengths.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1385 on: July 26, 2011, 09:09:37 AM

A small group (3-4) of well played mediums can dominate on almost any map.  Thats in random battles, not sure about clan wars.  I would think the gold ammo used in clan wars would offset their strengths.

Clan use heavies.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1386 on: July 26, 2011, 10:02:43 AM

It's more to do with CW teams having a coordinated defence.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1387 on: July 26, 2011, 02:32:28 PM

another event going, Operation Husky:

Operation Husky special is dedicated to the events that were going on from July 9th to August 17th 1943 when the Allied forces invaded Sicily.

WOT team has prepared special that would involve the following vehicles:  T-28, T-34, Pz IV Ausf H, Stug-III Ausf F, M4 Sherman and M10 Wolverine.

Using any of the vehicles mentioned above on July 28-29 you will have your credit income doubled

Willing to obtain one of them (Т-28, Т-34, М10 Wolverine, M4 Sherman, Pz IV or Stug-III) you will be glad to know that their price in credits will be halved during the special.

UPD. July 26. The following offers are available till 8:00 AM UTC August 1: We have also taken care of the crews. You will be able to purchase additional bunks for the crew barracks 50% cheaper.  For only 100 gold you can purchase, train, or retrain any crew member to 100% primary skill, which means that the price is also halved!
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1388 on: July 26, 2011, 04:04:02 PM

I have a fully trained Stug III and I'm about to get PZ IV and M4 Sherman so that's going to be some ridiculous cash for me.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1389 on: July 26, 2011, 04:55:09 PM

I have a fully trained Stug III and I'm about to get PZ IV and M4 Sherman so that's going to be some ridiculous cash for me.

Not to mention two of the funner tanks in the game to my taste.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1390 on: July 26, 2011, 07:26:00 PM

Can someone tell me more about radio signal and viewing range?

I'm running around in light tanks (leopard and PzK 38 nA) and everything seems to spot me before I spot them. Wtf is the point of a scout if I can't see around a bush but they can? Once I get the upgraded turret is there anything I can do to increase viewing range besides the telescope? Is 500m the max view distance for all tanks or just lights?

- Viin
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1391 on: July 26, 2011, 07:52:19 PM

As far as I've seen it's the max for all.   You'll generally have way less view range on mediums and heavies.   Camo nets and camo trained crews make it harder to spot tanks in cover.   I'm not sure exactly what scouting is in this game though.   Any normal form of scouting I've tried to do just exposes me to getting one shot by a heavy.

I'm guessing when they say scouting it usually means running ahead and acting like a forward observation post.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1392 on: July 26, 2011, 08:31:34 PM

Yeah I *try* to run ahead and spot incoming tanks for arty and so my peeps know where the bad guys are, but in most cases I end up getting 1-shotted by a heavy that I didn't see until his shell ripped through my hull creating a shockwave that sucks my crew members out through a 6 inch hole.

- Viin
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1393 on: July 26, 2011, 11:53:09 PM

Most of the heavy tanks have a better view range than you (and the leopard has a good range). And once someone spots you they'll inform everyone within their radio range who then do the same. Which is generally enough for a heavy you can't see to one shot you.

Either you try and use your mobility to get to a good vantage point and try to find a bush to hide in (in which case camo net and the binocs work well) or just accept there's going to be lots of reds initially, hang around at your base, and then try to do an end-run once there's a clear path or less reds showing up on the map (I'm going for coated optics for this). In practice though a lot of the heavy tanks rather like hanging back around their base and waiting for people to come to then as to TD's.

- Simond
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1394 on: July 27, 2011, 05:24:17 AM

I have to say leveling the M3 Lee I don't find it anywhere near as bad as I thought I would.  The tank has obvious flaws but the matchmaker seems to take a bit of pity on it.   If I actually end up in a high tier match I just wait for a target of opportunity and blow it away.   I actually really love that gun for close to mid range combat.   It is very very nasty with it's big alpha and high ROF combined with decent pen.   Having at least a 75% crew and knowing how to use the penetration cursor are probably required though.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1395 on: July 27, 2011, 07:47:23 AM

Yeah I *try* to run ahead and spot incoming tanks for arty and so my peeps know where the bad guys are, but in most cases I end up getting 1-shotted by a heavy that I didn't see until his shell ripped through my hull creating a shockwave that sucks my crew members out through a 6 inch hole.

I view shooting scouts as a form of skeet shooting.  It's entertaining and usually not very dangerous.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1396 on: August 05, 2011, 02:17:01 AM

I've been playing on the test server a bit and have tried out a couple of the new German tanks and a new map.  The Tiger(P) is an improvement over the old Tiger.  It has more armor, more HP and its top speed is faster.  Only thing the old Tiger seems to have over the (P) is the engine HP.  The VK4502(P) Ausf.A seems to be a faster, more mobile Tiger 2 with less armor in the front (-30) and the less powerful 105 gun that the Tiger 2 has.  I haven't tried any of the others yet but people seem to like them so far.  The new map is a ruined city surrounded by open fields.  I only played it twice so I can't tell if I like it yet or not.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #1397 on: September 03, 2011, 08:26:24 PM

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1398 on: September 04, 2011, 10:15:08 AM

How do you like the T92 over the M40/M43? It seems to have the same gun, but the stats seem a bit different.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1399 on: September 04, 2011, 12:31:37 PM

T92 = massive splash damage & radius. Which makes it the the best arty for clan wars.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: