Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:25:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092192 times)
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1260 on: June 23, 2011, 06:57:51 PM

So I started playing this last week and bought the Hotchkiss premium tank and will probably buy the other two french tanks just because I've always loved them IRL. A few questions though:

1) So if I don't really want to play 9 million rounds to keep buying and advancing my trees, I can just buy a Lowe and ern enough money in one or two rounds to buy and equip the lower tier stuff?

2) What is the advantage of retraining crew? I moved the crew from my old PzKpfw II to a Luchs and still had to retrain them, setting their skills to what new hires would have. Other than keeping my medals, I don't see an advantage to keeping crews until I'm in my super dream tank.

3) Light tanks with spammy guns are superballs. It's like being circle-straffed by a scout in TFC.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1261 on: June 23, 2011, 07:57:00 PM

So I started playing this last week and bought the Hotchkiss premium tank and will probably buy the other two french tanks just because I've always loved them IRL. A few questions though:

1) So if I don't really want to play 9 million rounds to keep buying and advancing my trees, I can just buy a Lowe and ern enough money in one or two rounds to buy and equip the lower tier stuff?

2) What is the advantage of retraining crew? I moved the crew from my old PzKpfw II to a Luchs and still had to retrain them, setting their skills to what new hires would have. Other than keeping my medals, I don't see an advantage to keeping crews until I'm in my super dream tank.

3) Light tanks with spammy guns are superballs. It's like being circle-straffed by a scout in TFC.

Don't bother with the other 2 French tanks. They suck.  Trust me.  I have them both.  The Hotchkiss is pretty good, though, even after it was nerfed a bit in the matchmaking.  Basically if you have half the teams consisting of noob tanks, which happens a lot still, you'll do well.  When you start getting put into matches with TD's, thats when any advantage you have is gone and you become just another tank.

1) Yes.  The Lowe and the KV-5 make money hand over fist.  I actually prefer the KV-5 and have done better with it than the Lowe but YMMV.  If you enjoy the game and plan on playing for any length of time, I highly recommend you getting one of them.
2) I don't know enough about this to tell you.
3) Light tanks are great...until they meet up with a higher tier heavy.  
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:01:14 PM by Ginaz »
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1262 on: June 23, 2011, 09:14:11 PM

The crew loses some amount of skills when they're retrained (more so if it involves switching class from say, light to medium tank)  For crew with low skills it means basically getting back to square one like you say, but if you retrain a guy with high skills he'll keep some of that skill, compared to the stock crew. You also get to keep secondary skills they may have trained (the ability to select these skills unlocks once they reach 100% of the basic training)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1263 on: June 23, 2011, 09:16:50 PM

Ya, if you are at 100 percent and retrain to a different vehicle in the class you can be at 90% for 20k instead of 75% plus you keep your secondary skills like camo, repair or fire fighting.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #1264 on: June 23, 2011, 10:44:53 PM

I love the T-32. It is a beast. Last night I singlehandedly staved off the attack of 4 heavies, two Lowes, a KV-5 and an IS3. I had a bit of help in the end, but if you get yourself positioned right, it does an amazing job. Honestly, I think its the best of the tier 8 heavies.

By Clownshoe, do you mean the premium pre-order M6 heavy?

I've heard a lot of complaints about the t-32 since they nerfed its gun depression, but apparently they are un-nerfing it soon, so shrug.

And yes, I was talking about the pre-order heavy.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1265 on: June 23, 2011, 10:50:50 PM

People who drive American tanks complaining about gun depression, they should try out Russian tanks, specifically SU152 and IS7.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #1266 on: June 24, 2011, 01:58:23 AM

People who drive American tanks complaining about gun depression, they should try out Russian tanks, specifically SU152 and IS7.

Except that going hull down is the American heavies "thing" and nerfing the gun depression as hard as they did supposedly made that tactic nearly useless.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1267 on: June 24, 2011, 07:14:22 AM

True that, but what I've heard the gun depression on the T32 is still pretty good. I been playing the Pershing a lot lately and its as good as the T-54 mainly because of it's gun depression.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1268 on: June 24, 2011, 01:38:38 PM

How could they have made it tactically useless? its still a very good tactic with a T-29, for instance. Works like a charm when cresting a hill so that only your super tough turret shows yet you can still shoot straight at them.

And even with reduced depression the T-32 still kicks ass. Bringing back the depression is a nice bonus, but not what makes the tank awsomesauce.

Oh, and Bob, I wouldn't really worry about transferring your crew till you hit about tier V in any given tank. You switch out of them too fast to make retraining worth it.

One thing tho, although the Lowe/KV-5 will make you stupid money, it won't affect the xp difference between premium and F2P, so its still gonna be a hellish grind.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:41:05 PM by Engels »

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #1269 on: June 24, 2011, 06:39:21 PM

I'm pretty sure the T-29's depression wasn't changed. Keep in mind, I'm just repeating what I've heard, and it doesn't matter anyway because the values are returning to normal soon(tm).

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1270 on: June 25, 2011, 09:36:49 PM

The depression nerf simply alters what hills you can possibly use to go hull down on. It's a little silly, but not crazy. It IS a bit nuts that a T32 is essentially just a T29.. that can't lower it's gun as much.

Interestingly, the depression values are what make being on top of a hill actually a BAD thing in WoT. Due to map design and spotting mechanics, you want to be on the military crest ideally (so you can actually fire down on targets), but that simply exposes all your soft top armor. In an artyless fight, you basically don't want to claim a hill, you want to sit halfway up it and wait for hostiles to crest the ridge and be unable to return fire on you without completely exposing themselves.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1271 on: June 26, 2011, 07:52:44 AM

Haven't been able to play at all the last 2 weeks or so, and I think my premium ran out, someone tell the guys. I'll be back.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1272 on: June 27, 2011, 08:40:01 AM

The depression nerf simply alters what hills you can possibly use to go hull down on. It's a little silly, but not crazy. It IS a bit nuts that a T32 is essentially just a T29.. that can't lower it's gun as much.

Interestingly, the depression values are what make being on top of a hill actually a BAD thing in WoT. Due to map design and spotting mechanics, you want to be on the military crest ideally (so you can actually fire down on targets), but that simply exposes all your soft top armor. In an artyless fight, you basically don't want to claim a hill, you want to sit halfway up it and wait for hostiles to crest the ridge and be unable to return fire on you without completely exposing themselves.

Firstly, the T32 is way tougher than a T29. Secondly, the trick to using the depression is not to be at the top of a hill pointing down, which as you say leaves your underside vulnerable. The trick is on a gentle rise to just have the turret sticking out.

Most tanks can do this, the T29 can do this on even more inclined slopes.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1273 on: June 27, 2011, 08:47:18 AM

It's also what makes the Pershing better than the T-54.

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #1274 on: June 28, 2011, 04:12:13 PM

Hey, where can I find the F13/Bat Country group? I just got my PC back up and going and am ready to get back into WoT.

In addition, TS info?
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #1275 on: June 28, 2011, 05:31:40 PM

Yeah, the reason the depression nerf fucked up American heavies is because their hull armour is shit, but their turret armour is VERY strong. If the depression on the gun is worse, they have fewer opportunities to go hull down.

Also, the Pershings turret armour is kind of meh, so its depression doesn't really matter that much.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1276 on: June 28, 2011, 06:20:43 PM

Also, the Pershings turret armour is kind of meh, so its depression doesn't really matter that much.

You're so wrong Pershings' depression is huge man, it makes all the difference. The ablility to pop over a hill and rapeface is what it's all about. I can pick up positions on a map that a T54 would only dream of and take out shit. I swear by the Pershing, T54s are cool but a little overrated.

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #1277 on: June 28, 2011, 11:21:40 PM

Yeah, I didn't think about that. I've only ever gotten to the t20 in that line.

What gun does everyone think they will give the Panther when it gets knocked down to t7? If it keeps the long 88, it will be fucking awesome, but I predict they will give it the short 88, making it a worse tank than the DB.

Brennik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1278 on: June 29, 2011, 03:44:44 AM

There's some speculation on the EU forums that the top gun for the new Panther would be 75L100, based on Overlord saying that in his blog comments, I haven't checked those though. No idea what it'll have on the way to that.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1279 on: June 29, 2011, 03:11:51 PM

Hey, where can I find the F13/Bat Country group? I just got my PC back up and going and am ready to get back into WoT.

In addition, TS info?

I'll send you a PM.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1280 on: June 29, 2011, 07:11:27 PM

Yeah, I didn't think about that. I've only ever gotten to the t20 in that line.

Get the Pershing it's a great tank, doesn't need armour as long as you play smart. Would be nice if it could bounce low tier guns though.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1281 on: June 30, 2011, 05:23:27 AM

Kind of funny seeing this title discussed in my Training and simulation journal Mag.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1282 on: June 30, 2011, 08:33:45 AM

0.6.5 update hit the servers. American TDs, two new maps and some fixes.

edit: omg, the new VA  ACK!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:57:21 AM by tmp »
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #1283 on: June 30, 2011, 09:46:15 AM

Ugh, the new voice is terrible. It sounds like they hired the voice actor who did Duke in the 80's GI Joe to come have Duke Captain Hero from Drawn Together yell over the radio. It's especially scetchy when I'm in a German tank. 

Other than that, today's patch and queue is All American tank destroyers, all the time, all day. 13 ATD, 2 FG vs 13 ATD, 2 FG.

Edit: The Voice is even worse than I thought at first. Holy fuck does it need changed or taken out.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:43:54 PM by angry.bob »

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1284 on: June 30, 2011, 01:29:43 PM

Here's a thread on how to replace the entire voice pack to a german voice pack

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/29750-tank-crew-german-voice-sound/page__hl__german+voice

Files for restoring the old ones:

http://up.killerturnips.com/docs/res.rar

And extract inside your root WoT folder. Click Yes to replace both files.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:34:23 PM by Engels »

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #1285 on: June 30, 2011, 02:31:30 PM

What, you guys don't like having a Russian caricature of how an American talks drive your tanks?

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1286 on: June 30, 2011, 03:10:02 PM

After years of being subjected to dubious Irish accents in games by American game companies, now you feel my pain. American actors in Belarus are probably harder to come by though.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1287 on: June 30, 2011, 09:31:13 PM

Ugh, the new voice is terrible. It sounds like they hired the voice actor who did Duke in the 80's GI Joe to come have Duke Captain Hero from Drawn Together yell over the radio. It's especially scetchy when I'm in a German tank. 

Other than that, today's patch and queue is All American tank destroyers, all the time, all day. 13 ATD, 2 FG vs 13 ATD, 2 FG.

Edit: The Voice is even worse than I thought at first. Holy fuck does it need changed or taken out.

Heh, GI Joe was my first thought as well. Yo Joe!

Good tip on the different voice pack.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1288 on: June 30, 2011, 10:55:01 PM

Sounds more like Tom Hanks playing Woodie playing army-man.

muzzleloader
Terracotta Army

Reply #1289 on: July 01, 2011, 09:36:50 AM

Hey all long time lurker , all the way back to ltm actually , thanks to yall ive been in eve for  awhile and recently took up WOT.

Not sure if i shlukd thank or cuss ya for eve  why so serious? ; but def glad about WOT Thumbs up! .

My  take on the new voices is that im torn between it sounding like buzz lightyear on crack or the retard mechanic from wings (thomas hayden church i think).

/slinks back into the shadows
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1290 on: July 01, 2011, 10:23:23 AM

Seems the xp multiplier for first won match is 5x atm, at least on the EU server. Didn't see any mention so no clue how long that's going to last.
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1291 on: July 01, 2011, 11:48:15 AM

The new voice reminded me of Duffman.

Oh, if any EU players here, there are often 3-5 people hanging around in the qt3 channel, and there's usually someone up for a platoon too.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1292 on: July 02, 2011, 09:54:40 AM

Another special event in honor of Kursk:

Starting July 1 and till July 4:

•Experience for the first win of the day increased by 5 times;
•7-day premium account at the price of 3-day premium account.
Starting July 1 and till July 8, you can buy the following consumables at half-price: Chocolate, Coca-cola, Large first-aid kit, and etc.

All actions come into operation after server restart, scheduled at 11:00 AM UTC on July 1st.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #1293 on: July 03, 2011, 07:44:28 PM

Why do people keep calling the Marder a Marauder? It's as annoying as people calling reagents "regents" in UO. Fucking lern2germandictionairy people.

Also, as fun as the game is and I love never having to wait for a fight, Ending up in a match full of KV/IS tanks in a tier 4 light is ass. I got shot by a SU-152 tonight and disolved into my component gasses from being at full armor.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1294 on: July 03, 2011, 07:58:55 PM

Certain light tanks are classified as scouts and will often be put into tier 8, 9 and 10 fights. Only remedy is to not play them.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: