Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092215 times)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1190 on: June 04, 2011, 07:24:02 PM

For some reason I don't own a single US tank.  Too many ahistorical models.  I bought one garage slot, but have been selling old tanks (God the A20 let me down) to make room for my new rides.  I like how you can transfer crews. 

Artillery is eroding my enjoyment of this game.  It's World of Tanks, not World of Chicken-Shit Rat Bastards.

Full disclosure:  I own a Wespe but I don't run it that often.

That changes in the upper tiers, arty gets scarce and you see almost all heavies.

I won't see the upper tiers if I /ragequit at Tier 5.  It puts me in fights with Tier 9's all the time.  The problem also is I'm seeing a lot of fights without light tanks to take out the arty.  So they just pound away at my medium, getting a quicker kill than a heavy. And I'm getting tired of taking on heavies with my medium, too many show up in my random battles.

Two out of three tank types utilize sniper capabilities where they can reach quite far across the map.  So turtling is encouraged and rewarded.  Not the type of gameplay I'm looking for.

Arty needs a balance pass.  All of this is just my opinion.  I know, qq more noob.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1191 on: June 04, 2011, 07:42:23 PM

Been playing this for a few days now and enjoying it, do we have an F13 clan?

edit: and I'm enjoying playing arty - the limited amount of rounds (15!!) can reduce your overall effect on the round. Plus, most folks suck at scouting. And it's almost worthless on the smaller city maps. I feel it's pretty challenging. If you want to get rid of arty, rush the starting point with light tanks - you can kill all of them and run away before we get into position.

edit2: if you aren't seeing enough light tanks at higher tiers, maybe you should play one!

edit3: maybe they just need to limit the number of arty vehicles per team to something like '2'
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 07:51:02 PM by Viin »

- Viin
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1192 on: June 04, 2011, 07:49:28 PM

For some reason I don't own a single US tank.  Too many ahistorical models.  I bought one garage slot, but have been selling old tanks (God the A20 let me down) to make room for my new rides.  I like how you can transfer crews. 

Artillery is eroding my enjoyment of this game.  It's World of Tanks, not World of Chicken-Shit Rat Bastards.

Full disclosure:  I own a Wespe but I don't run it that often.

That changes in the upper tiers, arty gets scarce and you see almost all heavies.

Try 3 tiger artys and a s-51 on the opposite side. Loads of fun to be had.........russkies still love their arty, i doubt euro/us-side is gonna be any different. Nothing like a instamt death after peaking out of that safe-house.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1193 on: June 04, 2011, 07:50:40 PM

Arty got a balance pass, it's actually pretty terrible now. The point of arty is to punish people who sit and snipe across the map.

I will say that mid tier mediums get royally fucked at times. Things like KV-3s and T29s will wreck even tier mediums on most maps due to a lack of room to flank, and some of the higher tier heavies have turret traverses that cannot be circled past if you close in with them.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1194 on: June 04, 2011, 08:36:44 PM

People right into World of Tanks like I am will appreciate this.

Went to this today,

Except somebody blew a piston out the side of the engine on the M4 Sherman the week previous...so they demonstrated the M24 Chaffee. My picture taking skills leave much to be desired.

M24 Chaffee

M4 Sherman

M60 Patton

FV4-33 Abott SPG

M551 Sheridan

They also have a tonne of random APCs, Trucks and Motorcycles.  The actual live demonstration was lacking (driven by pretty old vets), but we got a great personal 2 hour tour through the place.  They restore all their tanks and were featured in an awesome TV show called  'Tank Overhaul'  (where I heard of this place) for their ongoing restoration of a British Centurion tank.  A younger mechanic who fixed the Sheridan up himself told us to come back for his live demo.  He said the guys from the facility get mad at him for pulling powerslides and hitting ditches hardcore DRILLING AND MANLINESS  They do have demos where they run over cars and shit. 

P.S.  Tanks are Bad Ass

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1195 on: June 04, 2011, 08:55:32 PM

The best way to counter arty is to play arty and get a feeling for their weaknesses.  For instance learn where the dead spots are where arty can't hit you.  Also never stay stopped for any period of time.  Fire, move, fire, move.  Even if its just a few feet it will confuse the arty player.  

If you are moving a great distance, don't travel in a straight line, throw in random turns.

You can take the direct approach and get a light, or fast medium, and skirt the map edges and kill them.  HE works really good on them.  So does ramming if you are a medium or higher.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 09:09:58 PM by Brolan »
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1196 on: June 04, 2011, 09:50:12 PM

Going from tier 3 to tier 4 arty will take me weeks! need 14k exp but I typically get 300-400xp a round. Gah.

- Viin
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1197 on: June 04, 2011, 10:35:47 PM

Playing arty for a week will also give you a feeling for how long you need to be out of LOS before you fade from view (at which point: turn or move a few feet. Or they'll lead you even if you aren't visible.) and a sense of why high traversal fucks them (if they need to traverse their tank at all, their aim goes to shit)

Arty only annoys me when there are 4-6 per side on a map, because it's going to be high explosive central for anyone spotted. Honestly, I'm more annoyed that it's World of Heavy Tanks, and there's very little in the way of highly mobile combat because of it. Flanking and such are fun, but most pickup matches feature hordes of heavy tanks slamming into each other head on. Or more recently: hordes of heavy tanks going to their own rights and base trading, while leaving my responsible ass trying to cover an entire flank against 12 dudes.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1198 on: June 05, 2011, 04:04:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzyJEusS9RE#t=1m02s

Here, take all my money!

(Timestamp skips the part where a pretty girl talks about internet tanks in Russian)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1199 on: June 05, 2011, 04:20:33 AM

I do run an Arty, my Wespe.  For exactly that reason, to understand how they dominate.  There are a lot of maps where there isn't much cover at all, so to shoot and scoot won't work.  

Their rock/paper/scissors approach isn't working too well.  You have an overload of heavies because everyone wants the toughest, strongest tank on the battlefield.  I don't see the point of having a heavy and going back to run a medium.  How much play do my light tanks get now?  Almost none.  

You have a lot of arty because it's god-mode and stupidly easy to play; just let some poor light tank flush out the quail and you raise your gun and bring it down.  All reward, no risk.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #1200 on: June 05, 2011, 05:51:01 AM

I recently started playing this game on the European server. I'm about to downgrade my M41 spg to a M12. The best arty defense? Thats easy, quit being a lame ass glory hog that tries to win the game solo. Help your own artillery by spotting other tanks. Wait for your artillery to soften the targets before finishing them off. When they are dead, seek cover.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:56:17 AM by LC »
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1201 on: June 05, 2011, 07:58:57 AM

Here, take all my money!

(Timestamp skips the part where a pretty girl talks about internet tanks in Russian)

Anyone here speak enough russian to tell specifics? From the video its clear they've got a new physics model that will allow for jumping, sinking, rolling, and all sorts of other things, but is there other info?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1202 on: June 05, 2011, 08:08:33 AM

The physics model itself is working, but they have to decide how to resolve various scenarios and issues, like tanks falling on top of one another, falling in deep water, landing upside down etc. In any case it won't make an appearance before a "major" update like version 0.7+ and when that happens is anybody's guess.

It looks pretty goofy atm. Reminds me more of the ME Mako bouncing around in low gravity settings, than provide impression of 50+ tons of steel.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:13:06 AM by tmp »
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1203 on: June 05, 2011, 01:01:11 PM

Dear Players, the Administration of World of Tanks warns you that using bots, clickers, macros, keyboard and mouse recorders, or any other similar methods to accumulate credits and experience without the participation or with passive participation of the player within the battle as well as passive participation of the player within the battle without automatic software to accumulate experience and credits (leeching) or continuous joining the battles without any participation could lead to permanent game account suspension.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1204 on: June 05, 2011, 03:08:44 PM

Dear Players, the Administration of World of Tanks warns you that using bots, clickers, macros, keyboard and mouse recorders, or any other similar methods to accumulate credits and experience without the participation or with passive participation of the player within the battle as well as passive participation of the player within the battle without automatic software to accumulate experience and credits (leeching) or continuous joining the battles without any participation could lead to permanent game account suspension.

They started sending that notice a couple of weeks ago.  I'm glad they are cracking down because it was common to have at least one tank that never did anything during a battle.  This seems to be a little less frequent now.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1205 on: June 05, 2011, 03:21:30 PM

Here, take all my money!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1206 on: June 05, 2011, 09:31:00 PM

They started sending that notice a couple of weeks ago.  I'm glad they are cracking down because it was common to have at least one tank that never did anything during a battle.  This seems to be a little less frequent now.
Ah, thought it's something new since it's first time i saw it.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1207 on: June 07, 2011, 05:54:10 AM

I hope Wargaming isn't stretching themselves too thin....

World of Warplanes announced
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1208 on: June 07, 2011, 06:45:01 AM

World of Spaceships, man. Only a matter of time.

Here are the US TD stats: http://twitpic.com/54qemr/full
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1209 on: June 07, 2011, 07:11:14 AM

I hope Wargaming isn't stretching themselves too thin....

World of Warplanes announced

Yeah, I'd wait until at least 1.0 of their current game. Might add things like more than one game mode.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1210 on: June 07, 2011, 07:15:49 AM

"30s through the 50s." At least with WOT you can pretend your light tank is a scout rather than something that's simply outclassed. But putting your Brewster Buffalo up against an F86 is going to be very very ugly.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1211 on: June 07, 2011, 09:27:21 AM

Two turreted TDs, the rest normal. That will muck with people's heads when learning to play them.

Though I'm wondering how the turreted models will work. Just frail medium tanks, or something a little more shoot and scoot? View ranges are all hilariously high, too.

And is that a 56 km/h tier 7 TD?
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1212 on: June 07, 2011, 09:50:21 AM

Two turreted TDs, the rest normal. That will muck with people's heads when learning to play them.

Though I'm wondering how the turreted models will work. Just frail medium tanks, or something a little more shoot and scoot?
They have supposedly longer view ranges than the comparable tanks, but at the expense of barely protected crew members being much more likely to get hurt if it gets hit.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1213 on: June 07, 2011, 03:08:13 PM

Their rock/paper/scissors approach isn't working too well.  You have an overload of heavies because everyone wants the toughest, strongest tank on the battlefield.  I don't see the point of having a heavy and going back to run a medium.  How much play do my light tanks get now?  Almost none.  

You have a lot of arty because it's god-mode and stupidly easy to play; just let some poor light tank flush out the quail and you raise your gun and bring it down.  All reward, no risk.
What tanks do you run ? Can't say I have seen you in any of our platoons so I don't know.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1214 on: June 08, 2011, 03:22:31 AM

I'm Voroshilov ingame and I've ran with Engles.  My highest is a Tier 5 T-34.  I play almost every night and am on TS, but that gets annoying quickly.  One guy there won't shut up.  ACK!

I've also found that four artys in game is a frustrating experience, but six are just fodder. 
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1215 on: June 08, 2011, 07:35:13 AM

I play almost every night and am on TS, but that gets annoying quickly.  One guy there won't shut up.  ACK!

I've had to adjust a few people's volume down, I can sympathize. You can always move to another channel once your platoon is set up :)

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1216 on: June 08, 2011, 03:31:51 PM

Good info.  I'd like to hang out on TS more but everyone thinks it's their time for MONKEYSHINES!  But they do seem like good guys all in all.

I'm getting close to my T-34/85!  Let's platoon again soon Engles.  I will be on tonight.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #1217 on: June 08, 2011, 03:42:50 PM

So I bought a Löwe.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1218 on: June 08, 2011, 04:50:19 PM

Good info.  I'd like to hang out on TS more but everyone thinks it's their time for MONKEYSHINES!  But they do seem like good guys all in all.

I'm getting close to my T-34/85!  Let's platoon again soon Engles.  I will be on tonight.

Ya, we got some expressive members, what can I say! Seriously, I had one on mute for a week.

I'm currently working on my 3001H, my new favorite tank, my PzIV, which I'm gonna elite, my SU85 for giggles, and then my higher tier tanks, T29, SU152, M12, hummel and the VK3002DB which is meh.

For the record, I don't have a problem with people driving a Löwe if they got it to grind xp and convert it through spending gold. I do, however, have a problem with someone who's just too impatient to get to mid to higher tiers and doesn't know wth he's doing in a Tier 8 heavy. Grind through the tiers first so that by the time you get to Tier 8, you know what's what.

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #1219 on: June 08, 2011, 08:58:57 PM

So I bought a Löwe.

It's the only premium tank I would ever think about getting (other than the 38h, but I think that ship might have sailed already).

I've elited my VK36 with 100% crew, and am working on getting enough credits to buy a Tiger and a KV-3. I have about 1.8m to go.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:02:56 PM by FatuousTwat »

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1220 on: June 08, 2011, 09:10:09 PM

I bought a Matilda at launch because I had a lot of fun running it in beta and recently bought a Löwe to use for credit grinding and to finance my high tier tanks when my premium account expires next week.  Best game in the Löwe so far was 121,000 credits (92,000 net) for a game where I got 4 kills and did a bunch of damage.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1221 on: June 09, 2011, 10:28:20 AM

So I bought a Löwe.

I have both the Lowe and the KV-5.  Honestly, I think the KV-5 is a better tank.  I have a pretty good win % in general, but my Lowe % is abysmal to say the least! I may be lucky to have a 25% win rate.  I am not sure what it is, but I rarely win in that thing.  I do make pretty good credits regardless.  The KV-5 is just a better brawler and fits my play style a bit more (plus it comes with a sweet R2 unit which also is a glaring weak point).

I might try to join the pseudo-F13 clan here soon.  My clan is pretty dysfunctional and no communication whatsoever. 
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1222 on: June 09, 2011, 10:50:47 AM

For you F13ers interested in joining the pseudo f13 clan Evil Chickens, (really, its a preexising clan that happens to have five f13ers in it now), visit

http://www.evilchickens.com/

and submit an application. Its a formality that makes you accept the 'rules of conduct' which allows us to kick you out for being a douche-bag without any repercussions for management. This is separate than joining in WoT, which will happen as soon as you've been greenlit. I've been a bit remiss on asking F13ers to do this, but that's cuz I knew the fine gents that have joined us thus far.

If for whatever reason you don't feel down with the application, drop me a PM and we can hash it out.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1223 on: June 09, 2011, 11:11:14 AM

Does that mean I've been an illegal member all this time?  ACK!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1224 on: June 10, 2011, 07:42:27 PM

Ya, we got some expressive members, what can I say! Seriously, I had one on mute for a week.

I'm currently working on my 3001H, my new favorite tank, my PzIV, which I'm gonna elite, my SU85 for giggles, and then my higher tier tanks, T29, SU152, M12, hummel and the VK3002DB which is meh.

For the record, I don't have a problem with people driving a Löwe if they got it to grind xp and convert it through spending gold. I do, however, have a problem with someone who's just too impatient to get to mid to higher tiers and doesn't know wth he's doing in a Tier 8 heavy. Grind through the tiers first so that by the time you get to Tier 8, you know what's what.

I have a Tiger 2 and around 100k away from getting the Ausf or whatever the German T9 is called.  Buying the Lowe and KV-5 has helped me get there but I already had a T6 before I got those two.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: