Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:18:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092214 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1120 on: May 23, 2011, 04:02:22 PM

It's just a game that is designed for basically a 50/50 win/loss rate.  If you can't deal with that sort of thing, it's not going to be fun.  I enjoy the different ways I get blowed up so don't get too bent out of shape when it happens.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1121 on: May 23, 2011, 04:34:37 PM

It's just a game that is designed for basically a 50/50 win/loss rate.  If you can't deal with that sort of thing, it's not going to be fun.  I enjoy the different ways I get blowed up so don't get too bent out of shape when it happens.

Except it kinda isn't, unless your a sucidy light tank than its a true coin toss (though i remember having a 90% win ratio on my LEROY jinkins A-20 back in beta where they simply said "tier 4 light tank meet tier 10 heavy")
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1122 on: May 23, 2011, 06:38:10 PM

The matchmaker is actually geared more towards 50/50 win loss, with an eye towards "feeder" tiers.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1123 on: May 23, 2011, 08:15:13 PM

I get tired of my Pz4 Tier 5 tank getting matched with Tier 8 heavies as the "token" medium tank.  There is very little you can do to influence the battle and everyone else can one-shot you. 

Lights have the same problem and since arty is scarce in the upper tiers, there often is no one to spot for.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1124 on: May 24, 2011, 01:41:39 AM

I accidentally sold my tier 5 medium with a 90% crew.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1125 on: May 24, 2011, 04:48:11 AM

I get tired of my Pz4 Tier 5 tank getting matched with Tier 8 heavies as the "token" medium tank.  There is very little you can do to influence the battle and everyone else can one-shot you. 

Lights have the same problem and since arty is scarce in the upper tiers, there often is no one to spot for.

Of course there is a spot. Your free gold on 70mph wheels. WW2 style fastfood.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1126 on: May 24, 2011, 10:30:01 AM

Just due to how the balance works out, you get in a lot of upper tier matches with you being the only medium tank on the field. The game makes very little reason to NOT be the biggest meanest thing on the field.

I far prefer the medium playstyle personally. I have a KV-13, a T20, and my old E8 and 34-85 (and a PzIII/IV, which is a TERRIBLE TANK), and my brand new KV. The KV frustrates me to no end because I need to commit to an attack, while my mediums can mostly respond to changing conditions. Except the stupid III/IV, which is too slow, too fragile, and has a gun that would bounce shots off an MS-1 :P

edit: the reason I dislike german medium tank grinds: in almost every other iffy tank I've had to drive, it's at least had the option of some form of shitty HE thrower to still be a threat on the field. My III/IV has two 7.5mm cannons to pick from, both of which suck for a tier 5 tank and cannot reliably pen anything over tier 5, or deal more than 1% damage using HE to anything over tier 5.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:31:42 AM by kildorn »
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1127 on: May 24, 2011, 10:39:40 AM

Something isn't quite right about your description of the III/IV. It seems very fast and agile to me. It turns on a time and has good acceleration and speed in the 50s.

Have you upgraded the tracks and engine? Don't get me wrong, it is a fragile tank, but its agility is what's meant to keep you alive. It is well loved among those who like the fast pace of quick medium tanks. It will, with a good driver, make short work of a Pz IV, T-34 and a M4 Sherman, which are its class equivalents. The PzIV has a more powerful gun, but is not very responsive. The T-34 has a very spammy gun, but not as damaging. The M4 Sherman can be a good tank too, but again, its really about how good a driver you are, as with all medium tanks. The Pz III/IV just shows it more.

The gun on it is not so shabby at 16 rounds a minute: 7.5 cm KwK 40 L/48   110/110/175   106/143/38   

Compare it to the 20 rounds a minute of the T-43: 57 mm ZiS-4   85/85/95   112/189/29

It doesn't seem a particularly gimped tank, unless you consider those six extra penetration points to be just that more awesome.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:46:21 AM by Engels »

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #1128 on: May 24, 2011, 10:53:52 AM

Except the stupid III/IV, which is too slow, too fragile, and has a gun that would bounce shots off an MS-1 :P

If you dislike 3/4  you better avoid 3001p altogether.  As 3001p is many times worse . IT is ok fully upgraded but that means you have to spent as much xp on components which are useless anywhere else as  next tier tank (3002db ) cost
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1129 on: May 24, 2011, 10:59:32 AM

The 3/4 is very decent imo. Its only drawback is being routinely put in games where half+ of the participants can kill it in one shot, and from distance that you won't even see it coming  why so serious?
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1130 on: May 24, 2011, 11:00:35 AM

My issue with the 3/4's gun is that it's decidedly less accurate than the t-34's gun, the slightly lower pen does matter quite a bit (mostly on the "what can you reliably pen from the side versus having to completely flank" realm. I mean, the default 3/4 gun versus the upgraded one is only 8 pen), the t-34 winds up with a higher view range, and I've yet to have a single round bounce off the 3/4.

It strikes me as godawful slow for what is supposed to be a nimble tank, has shit for hull traverse even with the upgraded tracks, and basically when run up against any other T5 medium, it's only advantage is "I have a bit of armor?"

And yeah, part of my complaint is that it's constantly put into games where everyone has an HE thrower that can oneshot it from the front, while it deals 10% damage back.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1131 on: May 24, 2011, 12:37:54 PM

Tried out some Clan Wars on the weekend - just joined a casual Canadian clan (5CAD2).  I was unimpressed that their is no limit on tanks, so all the battles really came to who brought the biggest guns. Only 1 match in the 6 I had on the weekend was competitive, otherwise we got curb-stomped by multiple Maus/IS-7s (we even got skunked one match!) or we curb-stomped.

There were points in time where we had multiple matches going on at the same time or 2 minutes apart. 

The idea of Clan Wars is delicious, but in practice it didn't work at all for me.

Currently working on Tier 8 US Heavy T32 and just bought my Tier 8 US Medium T23 last night. 
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1132 on: May 24, 2011, 01:18:10 PM

Ya, we have our first clan fight tonight, but I'm fuzzy on the details of how its mean to go down. If we're up against a super grindy clan that's all decked out with IS7s and T54s, we may all just block the bridges and rage quit  why so serious?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1133 on: May 24, 2011, 01:53:59 PM

we may all just block the bridges and rage quit  why so serious?
They can push wrecks now why so serious?
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #1134 on: May 24, 2011, 03:33:34 PM

I am in one of the top 2 clans ,yet I am sitting out all  CW so far. Reason being I frankly was slacking on my t10 grinds, advancing everything instead if focus grinding. Have no one to blame but myself really :/  And they still didnt give out prize gold for tourney :(

But its only "beta". So  people have time to prepare  - now that everyone is aware fully that CW is t10/m9/a8
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:35:35 PM by Dark_MadMax »
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1135 on: May 24, 2011, 03:37:22 PM

I am in one of the top 2 clans ,yet I am sitting out all  CW so far. Reason being I frankly was slacking on my t10 grinds, advancing everything instead if focus grinding. Have no one to blame but myself really :/  And they still didnt give out prize gold for tourney :(

But its only "beta". So  people have time to prepare  - now that everyone is aware fully that CW is t10/m9/a8

But the devs haven't admitted it  Ohhhhh, I see.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1136 on: May 24, 2011, 03:40:03 PM

we may all just block the bridges and rage quit  why so serious?
They can push wrecks now why so serious?

I'm wondering if its cumulatively difficult. If we pig pile a buncha KVs in a chain along a bridge, can they all be pushed aside?

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1137 on: May 24, 2011, 06:39:35 PM

Seems like clan wars should just go to a tier limit based on the land value. Low earning areas are say, T1-4, high earners are up to T10, etc. Would let clans pick a plot of land to defend that is based on their average tier level, instead of "you must have a raid group of maxed players to engage in this"
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1138 on: May 24, 2011, 07:12:24 PM

Seems like clan wars should just go to a tier limit based on the land value. Low earning areas are say, T1-4, high earners are up to T10, etc. Would let clans pick a plot of land to defend that is based on their average tier level, instead of "you must have a raid group of maxed players to engage in this"

Do they not just use a weighted system for tournaments? Couldn't they employ that same logic? Like total tier level - if you want to bring out a maus or IS-7 then the rest of your team suffers.

I am not sure how the physics works with pushing tanks out of the way.  I have come across larger tanks I couldn't move, but I don't know if they were stuck in the terrain or I physically couldn't move them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:05:36 PM by Bandit »
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1139 on: May 24, 2011, 10:17:18 PM

I'm wondering if its cumulatively difficult. If we pig pile a buncha KVs in a chain along a bridge, can they all be pushed aside?

Yes, there is a real physics model. Two tanks push a wreck quicker than one, I've tested this.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1140 on: May 25, 2011, 06:31:36 AM

I should have said semblance of a physics model.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1141 on: May 25, 2011, 08:27:52 AM

I should have said semblance of a physics model.

*watches as a tracking shot whips a KV-3 around 90 degrees in under a second*

Yeah, a bit of one ;)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1142 on: May 25, 2011, 11:35:56 AM

So my six year old says he wants to try to play after watching me a bunch. Should be entertaining to stick him in my bt-2.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1143 on: May 25, 2011, 11:43:26 AM

So my six year old says he wants to try to play after watching me a bunch. Should be entertaining to stick him in my bt-2.

Pony up and buy him a premium T2 Light Tank - most fun tank in the game (72 km/h)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:50:54 AM by Bandit »
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1144 on: May 25, 2011, 11:51:39 AM

I'm having a lot of fun with this right now, so much so that for the first time I've spent money on a f2p game.  Quite a bit of money.  I have a premium account and multiple premium tanks including the Lowe and KV-5.  The only real issue I have is, not surprisingly, the match maker system.  Other than that, no real complaints.  I wouldn't call it an MMO, though.  Its more like a fps in tanks and it has one of the most vile "communities" I've ever come across. ACK!  The amount of genuine douche bags I've encountered in the random battles makes me want to try and find a clan so I can play mostly clan vs. clan battles, which should reduce the number of assclowns I have to deal with.  
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1145 on: May 25, 2011, 11:52:18 AM

I pushed a wreck into a tree then couldn't push it any farther, so I would imagine you could stack two wrecks and and make it difficult at least. But then sounds like they could just use two tanks to push... Now I'm curious.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #1146 on: May 25, 2011, 11:59:31 AM

Its more like a fps in tanks and it has one of the most vile "communities" I've ever come across. ACK!  The amount of genuine douche bags I've encountered in the random battles makes me want to try and find a clan so I can play mostly clan vs. clan battles, which should reduce the number of assclowns I have to deal with.  

You my friend must have  been never exposed to vibrant and diverse community of LoL
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1147 on: May 25, 2011, 12:18:20 PM

Its more like a fps in tanks and it has one of the most vile "communities" I've ever come across. ACK!  The amount of genuine douche bags I've encountered in the random battles makes me want to try and find a clan so I can play mostly clan vs. clan battles, which should reduce the number of assclowns I have to deal with.  

You my friend must have  been never exposed to vibrant and diverse community of LoL

Ha, you should try HoN. My first game and I get "omg u fukin noob never play this game again". I took his advice.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1148 on: May 25, 2011, 12:41:52 PM

I think its just the nature of f2p games.  Most of the ones I've tried, I've had similar experiences.  Even Guild Wars, which is more b2p, had a horrible community.  For all the shit WoW's community takes, WoW players tend to be a lot more pleasant and easier to deal with than the f2p/b2p games I've played.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1149 on: May 25, 2011, 01:23:47 PM

Its more like a fps in tanks and it has one of the most vile "communities" I've ever come across. ACK!  The amount of genuine douche bags I've encountered in the random battles makes me want to try and find a clan so I can play mostly clan vs. clan battles, which should reduce the number of assclowns I have to deal with. 

I think its just the nature of f2p games.  Most of the ones I've tried, I've had similar experiences.  Even Guild Wars, which is more b2p, had a horrible community.  For all the shit WoW's community takes, WoW players tend to be a lot more pleasant and easier to deal with than the f2p/b2p games I've played.

Its the nature of the INTERNET you special snow flakes.

Do they not just use a weighted system for tournaments? Couldn't they employ that same logic? Like total tier level - if you want to bring out a maus or IS-7 then the rest of your team suffers.

People at tier 8/9/10 are paying customers, really wanna piss them off when its time to show off their e-peens?
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1150 on: May 25, 2011, 03:30:36 PM

8/9/10 are a smaller subsection of the playerbase. Trying to appeal to the 5% at the expense of the 95% makes you a niche title.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1151 on: May 25, 2011, 05:33:14 PM

[...]Löwe and KV-5.  [...] makes me want to try and find a clan so I can play mostly clan vs. clan battles, which should reduce the number of assclowns I have to deal with.  
Engels!

Recruit this guy, we need more heavies.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1152 on: May 25, 2011, 05:41:45 PM

[...]Löwe and KV-5.  [...] makes me want to try and find a clan so I can play mostly clan vs. clan battles, which should reduce the number of assclowns I have to deal with.  
Engels!

Recruit this guy, we need more heavies.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I have a Tiger, as well, and close to getting a Tiger 2.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1153 on: May 25, 2011, 06:41:22 PM

OK, maybe I'm retarded, but joining a clan match BLOWS.  This interface is a joke and they need to make it more intuitive.  Need to have clan chat while I'm in a match.

With that off my chest I had a good night, my S-35 scored 4 kills, my new record, two kills with a TD and tank point blank at me.  FUN.

I tried a ART gun and it was OK.  Not sure if I will continue it, but I wanted to try to figure out these assholes dropping shot on me like Thor's lightning.

Still haven't spent more than $7, but that may change this weekend.  Wanting to try some other stuff out.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1154 on: May 25, 2011, 07:04:58 PM

Invite sent Ginaz :)

Tannhauser, let me know if you need the TS info again.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: