Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:10:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092273 times)
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1085 on: May 18, 2011, 04:08:29 PM

It has great slope but aim for especially the driver observation port. It's angled, but pretty much all damaging shots from the front done to me ,is in that spot. And mother russia do not take kindly on dead drivers

p.s static objects in the world now behaving more wonky than ever. I was just murdered through a stone-fence. Tired to shoot back at the one Ferdi i could see, fence stopped my shell, everyone elses just passed right trough it.
Seen artillery shoot tanks behind buildings, or rather though buildings. This is not new, but seen a lot more of it last few days. Saw some whining about it on off forums also.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:26:12 PM by snowwy »
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1086 on: May 18, 2011, 04:16:56 PM

Shoot the nearest side of the hull about 1/3 across (just off center) and aim down on it about 20 degrees. Penetrating sloped armour seems to be about aiming down on them.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1087 on: May 18, 2011, 05:05:47 PM

The 105 can't penetrate the front slope of an IS4 with standard ammo and it can't reliably penetrate any aspect of the turret.  If you can't get side or rear hull shots 105 HE will do fairly nasty damage to them no matter where it hits.  I usually run 50/50 ap/he with my t29 and t32.  The 120 of the US T34 will punch the driver's hatch and turret side but still tends to bounce off the rest of the  front slope and turret.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1088 on: May 18, 2011, 05:21:38 PM

The 105 can't penetrate the front slope of an IS4 with standard ammo.

My IS4 says different buddy, tier 8s have no problem penetrating up close. Aim for just below the star, nearer the better.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1089 on: May 18, 2011, 09:31:12 PM

Good advice all. Amarr, is your clan doing the clan wars? I imagine you are.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1090 on: May 19, 2011, 03:37:43 AM

I'm downloading this and will get started this afternoon.  Going Russian.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1091 on: May 19, 2011, 04:28:09 AM

Good advice all. Amarr, is your clan doing the clan wars?

Yes not sure what the plan is, but I may need to jump if they choose to land in Ireland as the tournament times will be out of my reach.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1092 on: May 19, 2011, 08:27:45 AM

It has great slope but aim for especially the driver observation port. It's angled, but pretty much all damaging shots from the front done to me ,is in that spot. And mother russia do not take kindly on dead drivers

p.s static objects in the world now behaving more wonky than ever. I was just murdered through a stone-fence. Tired to shoot back at the one Ferdi i could see, fence stopped my shell, everyone elses just passed right trough it.
Seen artillery shoot tanks behind buildings, or rather though buildings. This is not new, but seen a lot more of it last few days. Saw some whining about it on off forums also.

Yeah, I had a match where I was sniping at a Hetzer that didn't notice it's armor was barely exposed around a corner. Slowly chipping off health.

The KV behind me kills him, the shot quite literally going through the side of a mountain to do so. He had no shot at any point, he was just auto aiming and put a round dead center into the thing.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1093 on: May 19, 2011, 11:34:30 AM

So Clan wars is up & the US server have a few provinces that are sort of Euro friendly (11:30) but not enough for my liking, only about 5 of 200. The majority are 1:30am my time which is not great, I don't want to switch servers. Why can't we compromise!

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #1094 on: May 19, 2011, 04:15:57 PM

Clan wars are up, woo... Too bad I've old gotten to t6 and haven't bothered to go further yet.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1095 on: May 19, 2011, 06:47:48 PM

Cool game, but I didn't get a kill.  Had some nice hits, but then someone else got the kill.  Since I bought a tank, the German S-35 does that mean I can't upgrade it? 
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1096 on: May 19, 2011, 08:06:25 PM

You get the xp for all damage you've done so it's not really a worry if someone else scores the killing blow.

If i understand it right the tanks bought for gold come with pre-fitted set of modules and they don't have upgrades like the regular types.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1097 on: May 20, 2011, 03:28:42 AM

Ok thanks for the info.  Is there a list of the crew sound bites and what it means?  I hear 'critical hit' and I know it was a good hit but I wonder if it's a set percentage of damage or what.  If it's listed upthread I apologize, but I don't want to read all the pages.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1098 on: May 20, 2011, 05:45:23 AM

My understanding is that when you score a critical hit you have knocked out a crew member or module (tracks, engine, turret, gun). The S35 is lacking as a premium tank simply due to the fact that it is Tier III.  Tier III and IV are bit of hell level areas that for the most part get shitty matchups.  The S35 does look cool though.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1099 on: May 20, 2011, 08:27:06 AM

Yeah, the critical hit means it damaged either a module or a crew member. Since both can cripple the performance it's a good thing to happen.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1100 on: May 20, 2011, 09:20:33 AM

Ok thanks for the info.  Is there a list of the crew sound bites and what it means?  I hear 'critical hit' and I know it was a good hit but I wonder if it's a set percentage of damage or what.  If it's listed upthread I apologize, but I don't want to read all the pages.
http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Battle_Mechanics#Crew_Voice_sounds_and_their_meaning
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1101 on: May 20, 2011, 09:24:21 AM

I was like let's give this game another chance with the patch and all, and my TD gets killed by an invisible tank that shoots my friend, then drives past me and shoots me in the flank.

Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1102 on: May 20, 2011, 10:41:28 AM

If you don't think skill beats tank level or Russian tanks are way OP compared to other nations I have a screen shot of result of the Iceland final battle that my clan won.

9 clan tournament for Iceland. Map is Cliffs. Our leader chose Iceland by mistake when was looking at first battle ever in clan wars. It was only 3 signed up at that time but being the upper left corner many clans ended up selecting it possibly by mistake. I don't have this high of tank (nor likely the skill) to have participated. This team we beat in the finals had a bye in both first and third round while we fought all four rounds. Beat superior tank ranks in 3rd round also but not quite as decisively. The extra practice likely a big contributor to success in final battle. Only 1 Russian tank used on our side and I think they had 8. Five tier 9s to our 2. Both our tier 7 mediums even had kills and survived battle.

If you want to see stats on a guy that is just plain good at this game look up Farva1. He has an Obj. 704 but we have him play tier 6 arty instead of tier 9 TD because we short arties and he is really good at them.
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1103 on: May 20, 2011, 08:05:55 PM

Well done, that opposition front-line is damn hard to break down. Pershing is a killer though. Well played *tips hat*
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1104 on: May 20, 2011, 09:48:31 PM

Dear god, what a lag-fest this game has become since the patch! Tanks jumping around, screen freezes, and the lag light going from green to red and back again.

This shit is driving me crazy and I can't play the game until they fix it.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1105 on: May 21, 2011, 08:38:34 AM

Seems to be a router in Charlotte that's not related to WoT specifically. Bunch of posts about it in the forums.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1106 on: May 22, 2011, 10:37:54 AM

So, I've roped in Abagadro and Der Helm into my clan. Anyone else want in? If so, let me know your in-game handle and I'll toss you an invite.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1107 on: May 22, 2011, 02:49:30 PM

Hey, I'd like an invite, name's Voroshilov.

Been playing all afternoon.  Actually started getting kills and figuring out shit.  I have a T-43 with the sweet 45mm gun upgrade and a S-35 which is undergunned for a medium but I still get a kill once in a while.  Just now SOMEHOW got a crit on a KV.  Oh and I love the city maps.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1108 on: May 22, 2011, 05:43:29 PM

Oh and I love the city maps.

I hate the city-maps.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

But I play mostly TDs...  why so serious?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1109 on: May 22, 2011, 08:00:01 PM

Hey, I'd like an invite, name's Voroshilov.

Been playing all afternoon.  Actually started getting kills and figuring out shit.  I have a T-43 with the sweet 45mm gun upgrade and a S-35 which is undergunned for a medium but I still get a kill once in a while.  Just now SOMEHOW got a crit on a KV.  Oh and I love the city maps.

Invite sent :)

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1110 on: May 23, 2011, 03:36:28 AM

Interesting numbers from Overlord, a lead dev on the official boards.

"We had 25k CBT members on Russian server, while there are 130k and 120k of them on EU and US servers respectively."

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1111 on: May 23, 2011, 07:10:06 AM

CBT?

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1112 on: May 23, 2011, 07:20:41 AM

Jesus, I keep giving this game chances and it keeps giving me the finger. This time it was Jadgpanthers and IS's hiding camo netted in the back corner of the map, sniping at my T1. Real engaging gameplay, makes me want to give the devs money for sure.  swamp poop

Such a waste of potential (this'll be my last whine post, I promise).
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1113 on: May 23, 2011, 07:21:42 AM

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #1114 on: May 23, 2011, 07:38:22 AM

Jesus, I keep giving this game chances and it keeps giving me the finger. This time it was Jadgpanthers and IS's hiding camo netted in the back corner of the map, sniping at my T1. Real engaging gameplay, makes me want to give the devs money for sure.  swamp poop

You should stop thinking that "everyone gets teh prize" in WoT. In many tanks/tiers you would be underdog. That is probably by design- in some tanks you are the top dog  and in the others  your are fodder.   I have had plenty of fights when my tier 5 heavy was against 1-2 tier 9  and 4-5 tier 8. Guess what? -  if your team wins and you play smart you  get much more xp for those fights (higher tier targets give bonus xp)

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1115 on: May 23, 2011, 07:55:54 AM

I actually think that (WoT matchmaking) is a fundamentally horrible games design choice. But to go any further on the topic would probably violate my self-imposed cessation of whinings.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1116 on: May 23, 2011, 08:51:41 AM

You should stop thinking that "everyone gets teh prize" in WoT. In many tanks/tiers you would be underdog. That is probably by design- in some tanks you are the top dog  and in the others  your are fodder.   I have had plenty of fights when my tier 5 heavy was against 1-2 tier 9  and 4-5 tier 8. Guess what? -  if your team wins and you play smart you  get much more xp for those fights (higher tier targets give bonus xp)

You should really accept its bad game design for people to be fodder for reasons beyond personal skill, period. Its 2011.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1117 on: May 23, 2011, 08:56:29 AM

There are certain tanks that you just have to suffer through, there's no two ways about it. The T1 heavy is one of them. Although it has a very good gun, you have to play it in stealth mode. It does not 'tank' at all. The same goes for the M3 Lee, the VK3001P, the KV, a few early russian arty.

Could they improve these tanks to make them a bit better? Sure, they could, but at the same time, being vulnerable is a teaching tool. Learning to escape death in an M3Lee will teach you more about tank driving. Using cover effectively in an KV will save your ass down the road in lower profile tanks. Learning to pick your targets with care as a low damage early russian arty will make you more judicious about your shells in later, more effective tanks.

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #1118 on: May 23, 2011, 09:14:13 AM

You should really accept its bad game design for people to be fodder for reasons beyond personal skill, period. Its 2011.

Maybe it is.  But I do  find that having different tiers in maps can be fun - both as an underdog (you have to play like a flanker/backstabber),and as a top tank (you get many easy kills). I am not sure having homogenized matches with all same tier tanks would be much better .I do think their matchmaking possibly could use some tune ups , but frankly if you stop worrying about it games is much more fun.

I have different sort of problem with wot though. Random battles throw together players of  different skill levels, and  say some of them are  "less than adequate". This gets on my nerves lately , as I am forced basically to platoon all the time   (which is not always feasible)  . WTB matchmaking by skill levels
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1119 on: May 23, 2011, 09:56:05 AM

Could they improve these tanks to make them a bit better? Sure, they could, but at the same time, being vulnerable is a teaching tool.
Yup; few things probably teach a TD player how to plan ahead, pick good spots and optimize movements better than driving a Hetzer for a while.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: