Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:34:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1097365 times)
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: August 19, 2010, 02:11:11 PM

Oh, and another thing; I'm getting a bit sick and tired of these fuckers in the heavy tanks just lounging about till the end of the match to then come in and clean up. Meanwhile, the rest of the medium tanks have done all sorts of heroics to whittle down the enemy, but died in the attempt.

Too many idiots rush off like maniacs expecting heavies to follow. When I'm in my Tiger II, I take a minute or two to survey the enemy positions and snipe stuff, if I move off too early it takes too long to readjust later. If my team gains an early upper hand I'll head straight for a manageable area of tanks where I have decent support or I'll plug a hole left behind by rushing maniacs. If I'm on the north part of Murovanka I always camp the hill behind the houses with my Tiger II, our whole team rushed off earlier even though I asked to defend cause the other team had a Ferdi and an AusfB (total imbalance). So anyway everyone died leaving myself and a JagPanther, who also stayed behind, against the AusfB, the Ferdinand and a KV, we camped the hill til they came out of the woods and we won. If we had gained upper hand I would have moved off my spot and helped to sweep up.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: August 19, 2010, 02:21:14 PM

My Medium will go forth and slug it out after figuring out where our force is going (not going to lone wolf it in a t-34. That's suicide)

My TD will follow an attack force or a flanking force depending on the map. That horrible stupid map with the giant no man's land in the middle and the giant hill on the northeastern slope? Fuck that map. I'm sniping for the first two minutes then flanking with my TD and sniping down from the side. That map sucks, even if I do wind up with 8 kills on my SU-85 from it.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #352 on: August 19, 2010, 03:53:23 PM

Amarr, you're doing it rite. I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about active maps where there just isn't a whole chance of sniping. The city map, the railroad tracks/buildings map, and the lake/town map. I forget the names. After the initial scout rush, we all have a general gist of where the main force is going. If you're a scout that just got killed by a serious heavy (Tiger Is and KVs need not apply), then for god's sake, tell the team where it is. After that, yep, I do expect the heavies to engage wherever the top tank clusters are.

What ticks me off more is scouts who loiter in the base and don't do their thing. There are some excuses for it, like when everyone's rushed off and left a naked Hummel to be pinged to death by a couple of PIIIs or Leopards. Then a scout tank is decent defense, but I still prefer a PIV or a russian low medium for the job.

Kildorn, I loathe and detest that map too. Its like WWI in the trenches. Every move you make is a completely stupid crapshoot.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: August 19, 2010, 03:56:11 PM

I actually had a run on that map where it wound up my t-34 vs an IS3 on the hill next to my base. And nobody in the freaking base even lobbed shells in our direction.

Got him down 30% before finally croaking, but dear god people: if he's within easy TD range and getting tracked left and right, put some shells in the heavy!
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: August 19, 2010, 06:53:20 PM

Amarr, you're doing it rite. I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about active maps where there just isn't a whole chance of sniping. The city map, the railroad tracks/buildings map, and the lake/town map. I forget the names. After the initial scout rush, we all have a general gist of where the main force is going. If you're a scout that just got killed by a serious heavy (Tiger Is and KVs need not apply), then for god's sake, tell the team where it is. After that, yep, I do expect the heavies to engage wherever the top tank clusters are.

What ticks me off more is scouts who loiter in the base and don't do their thing. There are some excuses for it, like when everyone's rushed off and left a naked Hummel to be pinged to death by a couple of PIIIs or Leopards. Then a scout tank is decent defense, but I still prefer a PIV or a russian low medium for the job.

Phew :) I didn't really think you meant me specifically but I think sometimes people misjudge heavies. You also should remember heavies need the kills/damage much more than others to pay for their repairs and ammo.

Yeh sometimes watching other players is quite frustrating when you know they are just being a liability. One game a scout type tank was using my Tiger II as a moveable wall, he was also preventing me from rocking back & forward and I was getting eaten by snipers. I went to escape up over the gap in the trains and I saw him about to drive across my path which would have stopped my tank right on the crest getting me killed, so I popped him and drove off.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:03:17 PM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #355 on: August 20, 2010, 06:50:44 AM

In an IS3 now - It feels fantastic.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Much more of an armour upgrade than I thought it would be, and I can still make reasonable profit if I do well, with premium, though the pressure is definitely on to get multiple kills - the repair costs are becoming insane (ammo costs already are - 8-18k per match). I'm *really* looking forward to the IS-4, those things are beasts.

I too get annoyed when heavies camp for most of the match (apart from that one map with the massive no-man's-land zone), however I can understand it to a certain extent with the slower ones like the Ausf B. What *really* annoys me, and I see it MUCH more in the IS-3 now, is when all the mediums and lights hide behind the biggest heavy, and follow it in one slow-ass train. Way to negate your advantages. Makes me want to turn around and shell the closest, until they get the idea.

A heavy works best with good battlefield awareness (scouts!). If I turn a corner in my IS/IS3 to unexpectedly find myself in the middle of the enemy zerg, I'm going to a die a pitiful ineffective death.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #356 on: August 20, 2010, 10:46:14 AM

Ya, I hear ya both about using the heavies as cover. At the same time, its sorta in the job description to take the hits while the mediums whittle down the opposition around you. Its an unspoken rule, I think. Now, purposefully hiding behind a heavy to avoid a hit is pretty yellow, tho. What you should do, since chances are the enemy is focusing on the heavy, is to circle around and shoot the enemy in the rear. This is worth it, even if it means having to go around a building or city block.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: August 20, 2010, 10:52:52 AM

The grind from a BT-7 to a T-34 is kinda getting me down.  I'm about 2/3 of the way there on the experience after several days.  I figure I have about 6-8 hours left to go.  For some reason that seems like a lot in this game and I'm wondering if skipping the A20 was a bad idea.

I've been converting experience from my elite little tanks as available, but the BT-7 seems to bring in more overall.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: August 20, 2010, 11:11:34 AM

The grind from a BT-7 to a T-34 is kinda getting me down.  I'm about 2/3 of the way there on the experience after several days.  I figure I have about 6-8 hours left to go.  For some reason that seems like a lot in this game and I'm wondering if skipping the A20 was a bad idea.

I've been converting experience from my elite little tanks as available, but the BT-7 seems to bring in more overall.

If your using "gold" to transfer experience between tanks, than it is definitely not worth it - the same goes for converting gold to credits.  Save all gold for premium accounts whether it be daily or a weekly.  Even if you play a couple of hours with the premium 50% bonus on credits and XP, then you are much further ahead than straight xp transfer or credit conversion.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: August 20, 2010, 11:13:35 AM

Oh, it's not much gold to transfer the xp.  I have like 800-something gold saved up, I guess I should do a few bonus days!  I sort of forgot that existed.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: August 20, 2010, 02:06:44 PM

I bought the German heavy tank for 1250 gold....  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: August 20, 2010, 02:23:04 PM

Is it any good?  I'm leery of tanks I've never heard of.  Pz B2 740(f), wtf is that gibberish!

Edit:  Ah, wikipedia tells me it is a captured French Char.  Those were kinda, uh, outdated.   
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 02:24:45 PM by proudft »
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #362 on: August 20, 2010, 02:37:45 PM

The other day I got an engine hit, and discovered that I could travel faster backwards faster than forwards. In other words, I upgraded to the Italian model!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: August 20, 2010, 04:33:24 PM

Is it any good?  I'm leery of tanks I've never heard of.  Pz B2 740(f), wtf is that gibberish!
Shitty gun, shitty penetration, no damage to speak of, but repair costs are low (~2k) and I got 6k credits just for participating and dinging a tiger a few times.

Could be decent against very light tanks with HE ammunition, I am going to upgrade the crew to 50%, it seemed rather mobile as well...

Biggest problem is that you can't upgrade the premium tanks. At all.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: August 20, 2010, 09:19:15 PM

Shitty gun, shitty penetration, no damage to speak of, but repair costs are low (~2k) and I got 6k credits just for participating and dinging a tiger a few times.

Could be decent against very light tanks with HE ammunition, I am going to upgrade the crew to 50%, it seemed rather mobile as well...

Biggest problem is that you can't upgrade the premium tanks. At all.

The repair costs are supposed to be the value of the premium tanks.  Apparently they are decent tanks for their respective tiers, but quickly get outclassed as there are no higher tier premiums.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: August 25, 2010, 01:16:03 AM

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: August 25, 2010, 10:39:12 AM

Saw an in game announcement that the servers would be down from August 26th to Sept 1st.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: August 25, 2010, 10:41:18 AM

We are planning some big updates for the World of Tanks closed beta, which will include launching new game servers in North America and delivering a fresh patch containing new game features. To make sure everything works well, we will halt the game servers from 9 a.m. GMT August 26 till September 1.

On September 1, we will be on air again with all the players connected to the American servers. Several days after that, the new 0.5 patch will be rolled out with several new features, which are:

* Squad fights. A squad will include 2 to 3 people and will allow players to invite their friends and join a random battle as a single fighting unit, which will help them coordinate their actions and maneuvers.
    * Additional modules. Install rammers and increase your firing rate, take suspension stiffeners and improve your tank’s tonnage, decrease visibility by installing a camouflage net, choose between dozens of upgrades that differ depending on a tank model you choose.
    * Crew kits. Equip you tank crew with fire extinguishers, repair kits, first-aid sets and other elements, with each of them providing extra help in battles.

With the new patch rolled out, all beta testers will get 5000 gold each to test the new game features. The patch will be followed by a “light” wipe when the players will go back to tier 1 tanks, but all the experience they have earned will be converted into free experience which they will be able to use at their leisure. All credits will remain as well, and losing all the tanks, modules, and shells will be compensated by corresponding amount of credits spent on buying them. If a player had a premium tank or shells, compensation will be arranged in respectful amount of gold.

Stay tuned, we’ll be informing you on all major events on World of Tanks.

It appears that American Tech tree won't be available till full release.  I think I read somewhere that the JagTiger TD will be added in this patch.

It would be nice to see if we can get a few "squad" nights in.  Even three tanks working in unison is better than some of the clusterfucking I see going on now (although it is entertaining to join a good ole' clusterfuck or misguided rush every once in a while).
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: August 25, 2010, 11:31:25 AM

I had a misguided rush win a while back. Some random idiot in a medium goes "let's all rush down the middle, follow me!", and he was shocked when we actually decided to go along with it.

The enemy crumbled pretty much in shock when our entire team, SPGs and all, rolled right over the middle hill and started firing.

I'm sad to not see new battle tiers in the patch list though.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: August 25, 2010, 11:55:45 AM

Man, I finally got my T-34, too.  Oh well, it'll be down only like a week I guess.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #370 on: August 25, 2010, 01:40:18 PM

Ya, the downtime blows, but actually, its probably good for me to take a break. I haven't been this glued to a game since EQ raiding.

I've been doing the german path for TDs, SPGS, Heavies and Mediums, so this will actually be good because with the combined XP and money that I've spent getting a JagdPanzer IV, the VK3002BD, the Hummel, etc, now I'll be able to immediately get into a Panzer V, which is what I wanted to do in the first place, but got distracted (the 3001P is a SNOOZE fest).

Oh, and playing with lower ping might be nice too, although I can't complain too loudly.

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: August 25, 2010, 01:58:22 PM

Man, I finally got my T-34, too.  Oh well, it'll be down only like a week I guess.

The 57mm gun for this tank makes it awesome. One of the best on the move tanks I have driven. I'm not sure what it is about this tank since everything about the T-34 is just average but with that 57mm and everything else upgraded I do better in this tank then anything else I have driven. For the way I drive it's the best tank in its tier by far.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: August 25, 2010, 02:06:49 PM

I had a misguided rush win a while back. Some random idiot in a medium goes "let's all rush down the middle, follow me!", and he was shocked when we actually decided to go along with it.

The enemy crumbled pretty much in shock when our entire team, SPGs and all, rolled right over the middle hill and started firing.

I'm sad to not see new battle tiers in the patch list though.

Aye, the rush does work if everyone is in.  I was on a team matched against 2 ferds, and everyone was "lolbalance", so we just decided to rush in before they could set up.  We took them out with ease.

Ya, the downtime blows, but actually, its probably good for me to take a break. I haven't been this glued to a game since EQ raiding.

I haven't played a game this much in quite a while.  I am anxiously awaiting release.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: August 25, 2010, 02:19:19 PM

Man, I finally got my T-34, too.  Oh well, it'll be down only like a week I guess.

The 57mm gun for this tank makes it awesome. One of the best on the move tanks I have driven. I'm not sure what it is about this tank since everything about the T-34 is just average but with that 57mm and everything else upgraded I do better in this tank then anything else I have driven. For the way I drive it's the best tank in its tier by far.

Yeh I enjoyed the T-34 the ROF on the 57mm is great, it's kind of a taste for the T-44. I found the T-34-85 less fun to drive and not as good a tank as the VK3601.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: August 25, 2010, 02:22:31 PM

I haven't played a game this much in quite a while.  I am anxiously awaiting release.

Same here, my only fear is that they are going to double the cost of everything and triple the XP requirements on launch day.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: August 25, 2010, 02:30:36 PM

Man, I finally got my T-34, too.  Oh well, it'll be down only like a week I guess.

Yeh I enjoyed the T-34 the ROF on the 57mm is great, it's kind of a taste for the T-44. I found the T-34-85 less fun to drive and not as good a tank as the VK3601.

I was afraid of that. I have the exp and cash for the T-34-85 but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I may just keep my T-34 until he wipe.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: August 25, 2010, 03:00:35 PM

I was afraid of that. I have the exp and cash for the T-34-85 but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I may just keep my T-34 until he wipe.

I went from doing okay in a T34 (and knowing my boundaries of what I could do and what I would die to) to sucking horribly in a T-34-85 and racking up 60-90xp/match because I just couldn't hurt anything before being wasted.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: August 25, 2010, 03:45:52 PM

Still no mention of the MMO part with the strategic map and clan wars. I have pretty high confidence in the team but I wouldn't mind seeing that come down the pipe sooner rather than later.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: August 25, 2010, 03:55:51 PM

I went from doing okay in a T34 (and knowing my boundaries of what I could do and what I would die to) to sucking horribly in a T-34-85 and racking up 60-90xp/match because I just couldn't hurt anything before being wasted.

I think most people have pretty much the same experience, the 85 is heavier and less mobile.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: August 25, 2010, 04:11:15 PM

I haven't played a game this much in quite a while.  I am anxiously awaiting release.

Same here, my only fear is that they are going to double the cost of everything and triple the XP requirements on launch day.

I have my doubts, as it appears they are fine tuning some of the xp/credits in the upcoming patch.  I believe I read that Tier 6 vehicles are getting a reduction in credit costs.

Also, a premium account will be $10/month and $10 for 2500 gold (although in the post it was mentioned in Euros, not sure how that will change in NA).

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #380 on: August 25, 2010, 05:12:47 PM

So the premium account means you get xp and cash at double the rate, like right now in beta?

Also, will one get a gold stipend like in beta, or is that a cash only thing?

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: August 25, 2010, 05:24:05 PM

Not sure about a stipend and premium is 50% increase.  I didn't really use gold for anything but the premium account option.  I will most likely purchase some gold to get a couple of the upcoming premium tanks (Canadian RAMII) maybe some more garage space.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: August 25, 2010, 10:20:23 PM

Gold is good for quickly (re)training up a crew also. I have 2600 gold at the mo, which apparently will carry over the reset - I'll be spending a lot of that on new crews for an IS and IS-3 or 4, depending on what I have the cash for.

Apparently there will be consumables when live hits (eg. single use repair kits, purchasable for gold). I hope they don't unbalance the game too much. I'm assuming they are for quickly regaining partial use of a damaged module, not resetting them to full, or HP repairs...
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: August 26, 2010, 05:52:46 AM

Gold is good for quickly (re)training up a crew also. I have 2600 gold at the mo, which apparently will carry over the reset - I'll be spending a lot of that on new crews for an IS and IS-3 or 4, depending on what I have the cash for.

Apparently they are contemplating changing the crew to 200 gold for 100% crew instead of the 300 gold for 75% training.  Not completely sure on that one, couldn't find the thread again.

Jherad
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: August 26, 2010, 06:31:09 AM

That wouldn't surprise me - I'm not sure if 300 gold for one crewman to 75% would be worth it, outside of beta. 50% was 20k credits, and the time it takes to go from 50% to 75% isn't much (90-100 is a much bigger grind). You could train your entire crew to 50% for less than the equivalent credit value of 300 gold.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: