Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:19:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1098441 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: July 13, 2010, 06:14:50 PM

the mmo generation takes the anal raping of their time in stride I see.

You're the one obsessing about the miniscule grind and not having fun, not everyone else. The idea of grinding it out, of working out precisely the best way to maximize my pixel rewards per hour, has literally never crossed my mind once.

You ARE the MMO generation. You are what you hate.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: July 13, 2010, 08:37:13 PM

You know, its just nice that a multiplayer game has come out that doesn't require grind to get to the fun. I have myself a few bought tanks, including an SPG and the PzII, but I still like to take out the newb tanks from time to time when I don't want to think too much about tactics and just be scout/fodder for a few minutes before I'm shelled into the ground.

Maybe I'll get sick of it sooner rather than later, but the cool thing is, I'm having fun NOW. Not 3 months from now when I finally get my SSOY and can be part of a l33t guild or someshit.

I've pretty much settled on the suicidal light tank don't bother hitting anything play style. I like it though will probably need a change of pace eventually. bt-2, bt-7, and a-20, going to try german tanking. i can actually afford a medium tank now, 50 caliber rounds sounds fun. bt-7 flaw is that its highest caliber is 45, honestly not going to kill anyone with that or even land the finishing shot, unless your fighting another light tank. in which case i suspect the bt-7 has a secondary goal of anti-light tank light tank but i'm sure i haven't seen a good bt-7 take out a german light tank... Oh and HE rounds don't seem to matter too much with light tanks verse just taking AP rounds, it seems i do less damage, though that is probably due to not having the time to aim the shot in critical areas.

and no modern i am not what i hate, i hate the "its not that bad" type people who would gladly grind their anus against the wall as long as there is a slight chance of re-playability, your type keeps this mmo industry humming, my type made war and aoc flops.

a-20 surviving with 7 health  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:41:45 PM by DLRiley »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: July 13, 2010, 08:59:28 PM

This game is actually fun to play.  I'm enjoying it more with every game.  Got into a level 3 German light tank.  It's going to take some getting used to now that I'm starting to roll with some of the bigger boys.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: July 13, 2010, 09:15:57 PM

This game is actually fun to play.  I'm enjoying it more with every game.  Got into a level 3 German light tank.  It's going to take some getting used to now that I'm starting to roll with some of the bigger boys.

don't you love how your so pro you run into a rock halfway scouting  awesome, for real
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #179 on: July 13, 2010, 11:20:51 PM

But please, get a shift key. No grind needed for that.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: July 14, 2010, 06:47:34 AM

Seriously.  You suck at communicating.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: July 14, 2010, 06:57:37 AM

Seriously. What do you do in a t3 light tank when you are matched against medium and heavies ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: July 14, 2010, 07:09:00 AM

You scout, and try to survive. Scout, as a glassy, fast, vulnerable thing. You try to keep your stealth up, you use terrain as much as you can, you upgrade your radio so you signal and get XP for it (for spotting) and try to survive while providing infos and eventually sneaking a few shots on the back of heavier, slower tanks. It's kind of fun if you ask me. But then again, there is always going to be lots of light tanks in the other team due to how matchmaking works, so go after them!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:13:05 AM by Falconeer »

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: July 14, 2010, 07:13:58 AM

Seriously. What do you do in a t3 light tank when you are matched against medium and heavies ?

You die. The faster the better, in fact you can measure a good scout by where exactly he died, if he died before the enemy line he sucked, at the enemy line he did well, behind the enemy team you did very well, and if you made a complete circle you've earned a 7k cash.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: July 14, 2010, 07:14:16 AM

I don't know.  The one game I got in before bed last night was that I ran to the front lines, did donuts around one tank, killed it, then got blown up.  I got a ton of xp and credits.

Good times.  And it only took 50 seconds.  Then I went back to my tier 2 rigs.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: July 14, 2010, 07:25:04 AM

I don't know.  The one game I got in before bed last night was that I ran to the front lines, did donuts around one tank, killed it, then got blown up.  I got a ton of xp and credits.

Good times.  And it only took 50 seconds.  Then I went back to my tier 2 rigs.

Had a german light tank ram into my a-20(75mm gun), boy didn't even get a second shot off. You have a leo correct?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: July 14, 2010, 08:24:43 AM

I forget the name.  It's the first one you can unlock I guess via the Light Tank line.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: July 14, 2010, 08:31:40 AM

I forget the name.  It's the first one you can unlock I guess via the Light Tank line.

I'm noob leo is tier 4, you either have auch or luch.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: July 14, 2010, 08:55:32 AM

Ya you do pretty much what Falc said. In my Marder II (t3 German TD) I actively avoid anything with stripes in its diamond and stalk the light tanks unless I get a tough match. A lot of it depends on the matchmaking though. If there are a lot of mediums and heavies I instead just pick a group of the bigger guys and stay behind them and fire at anything they do. If there are lots of light tanks then I stalk them. Best round I had was 5 kills in my t3 TD.

Also with scouts you can try and hunt SPG's. If you find one just run into it from behind and it can't turn and shoot you back. Slow down before you hit it or you'll blow yourself up in the collision. Which btw, that BT-2 that drives in circles, just run into em, preferably hit their track. That stops em pretty good.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: July 14, 2010, 09:15:40 AM

A light tank that isn't german going after another light tank guarantees lose for team. Your snipers need you to scout, chasing a light tank doing its job only gets you a td 75mm round to the back.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: July 14, 2010, 11:04:02 AM

Ya you do pretty much what Falc said. In my Marder II (t3 German TD) I actively avoid anything with stripes in its diamond and stalk the light tanks unless I get a tough match. A lot of it depends on the matchmaking though. If there are a lot of mediums and heavies I instead just pick a group of the bigger guys and stay behind them and fire at anything they do. If there are lots of light tanks then I stalk them. Best round I had was 5 kills in my t3 TD.

I had no idea there were differences in the diamonds and the squares etc.

Oh wow.

I'm really trying to avoid the forums so I don't dive deep into another forum community.  It'll kick in my min/max into overdrive and I'll stop enjoying the game.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: July 14, 2010, 11:15:10 AM

Ya, diamonds with one clear stripe in them are medium tanks, with two are heavy tanks (or something like that anyway). I haven't seen any difference with the TD triangles and the SPG squares though.

A light tank that isn't german going after another light tank guarantees lose for team. Your snipers need you to scout, chasing a light tank doing its job only gets you a td 75mm round to the back.

I more meant that BT-2 doing circles spotting your side for their SPGs. Just ram him. Even if you die it's very satisfying.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: July 14, 2010, 11:57:30 AM

Ya, diamonds with one clear stripe in them are medium tanks, with two are heavy tanks (or something like that anyway). I haven't seen any difference with the TD triangles and the SPG squares though.

I more meant that BT-2 doing circles spotting your side for their SPGs. Just ram him. Even if you die it's very satisfying.

Ok in the t1-t2 zone a light tank hunting other light tanks isn't bad just not great. You want to circle strafe td's and suicide ram spg's. In the all tier matches your primary goal is to scout scout scout and die trying. Besides if you ram my a-20 with 75mm gun your going to die in one shot(assuming you do this stupidity on a light tank).
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: July 14, 2010, 09:41:58 PM

This is a lot of fun, if grindy and the gold->ammo conversion seems.. bullshit at least at lower tiers. I can buy okay ammo, or I can microtransaction something that appears to treat all low tier armor like it's paper!
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: July 14, 2010, 10:06:21 PM

Just bought my tier german 4 light tank! So my current collection is BT-2, BT-7, A-20, Luch, Leo. The most fun i have is in my a-20, has the biggest gun on a light tank, goes at 71mph can mix it up with anyone, hell i just drove by a bt-7 and blasted his tracks for the lolz. The leo and luch seem like crappy versions of medium tanks, they'll probably be sold for a real medium tanks on the german assembling. German light tanking seems to revolve around hugging mediums and hoping td's are behind you ready to take aim at the guys you spotted. Focus on hitting light tanks, avoid anything else, take pot shots at mediums but not for the kdr, if your lucky you get to flank a td and spg. I don't seem well equipped to launch myself across the field and meet the enemy line like a russian light tank. I'll see if my opinion changes about the leo after my crew gets to 60%. Also every other enemy shot seems to cause engine failure  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:08:10 PM by DLRiley »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: July 15, 2010, 07:14:27 AM

My newest light tank can only get up to 40mph.  I have no idea how you go that fast.  My engine must suck.
Hoth
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: July 15, 2010, 07:27:15 AM

An engine upgrade is the first thing you should do with every tank you get. You won't go much faster. but the better acceleration is so much worth it. Especially with light tanks in the second tier, where your only real advantage is your maneuverability and your ability to flee as fast as you can after the initial kamikazescouting.
Having a trained crew >50% also helps, there seem to be a rather big jump from 49% to 50% in terms of max. speed and acceleration so maybe you should consider retraining the crew of your old tank for the new one. Without investing credits or gold you'll lose ~18% skill.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:11:57 AM by Hoth »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: July 15, 2010, 07:46:50 AM

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: July 15, 2010, 08:05:41 AM

Some of my light tanks maxed out doesn't get me up to 75 mph.  I guess there is a tank I haven't gotten yet.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: July 15, 2010, 08:15:26 AM

A-20 does 75 afaik. Leopard looks pretty awesome.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: July 15, 2010, 08:42:08 AM

Some of my light tanks maxed out doesn't get me up to 75 mph.  I guess there is a tank I haven't gotten yet.

a-20 fastest light tank with the biggest gun  DRILLING AND MANLINESS. Speed depends on engine, track, max mph, and crew level it seems.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #201 on: July 15, 2010, 09:10:49 AM

Anyone know of a source for more beta keys? I was raving about the game to a friend, and well, heh, he wants in too.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: July 15, 2010, 11:32:39 AM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #203 on: July 15, 2010, 03:15:54 PM

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #204 on: July 16, 2010, 07:41:01 AM

how big is the client download?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: July 16, 2010, 08:03:47 AM

gig and a half or so. Not big. Fast pipes to boot.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: July 16, 2010, 09:25:23 AM

It's 1.1 GB, to be precise.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: July 18, 2010, 04:24:45 AM

So day 2 of medium tanks. Boy after not actually having to "fight" for so long its almost depressing having to actually care about the results of every battle to insure you get a decent amount of cash and experience. Though the first german medium tank is simply a light tank with better armor and a better gun, its hard to scout when your not going 68+ mph. It actually pains me to see light tanks attempting to get kills instead of scouting for their team, noob light tank drivers constantly attempting to circle strafe the first light tank they see. arg. With the light tank my involvement in the battle starts and ends within the first 60 seconds. With mediums you try to take advantage of your extra staying power for as long as you can, which increases the chances of me getting really pissed at your team sucking balls. Another funny example of stupid ftl, is 2 td's behind me rapidly advancing forward, after i made a u-turn because i noticed 5 medium tanks blips advancing forward... awesome, for real
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: July 18, 2010, 05:48:14 AM

Don't get too discouraged by the PzIII. My effectiveness with it ramped up pretty well with crew experience. It's not an awful tank, like the IIIA, but it's definitely no IV.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: July 18, 2010, 06:04:58 AM

Don't get too discouraged by the PzIII. My effectiveness with it ramped up pretty well with crew experience. It's not an awful tank, like the IIIA, but it's definitely no IV.

Well its not really depressing in the sense that the tank sucks, I get about 2 kills a game average now (spent cash on crew upgrades Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? when I bought it) and gone a few games without biting the dust. Its just that my team is now an important factor when playing a medium tank, its back to the basics of combat being aim + maneuvering, when I'm used to simply finding the fastest way to enemy artillery which 9 times out of 10 meant simply going down the middle at 70 mphs. I actually ran out of ammo one game (30 rounds has been my standard for a while). I do hate that my shots go bing and bonk against anything beyond tier 5. I simply ran away from some medium tanks after firing 4-6 "about as well aimed as my circle strafing allowed" shots before i decided to just give up and ran to the other side of the map. I've been using AP rounds for a while, HE means shit if you can't even penetrate the armor. Right now the 50 caliber is the best gun you can get for pzIII.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: