Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:18:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1097592 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #140 on: July 12, 2010, 10:00:42 AM

So what is it that keeps killing me with one goddamn shot? Is that the arty or the tank destroyers?

I've gotten my two starter tanks to elite status, and bout a T-26. Make sure you keep your crew in the tank they buy. Otherwise, they don't offer much improvement even if their experience rate is higher.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: July 12, 2010, 10:20:24 AM

Here are some useful links to read up on dealing with game mechanics.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/1169-how-line-of-sight-and-radar-range-works/

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/869-faq-crew/

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/871-faq-equipment/

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/1445-faqhow-to-become-hero-of-the-battle-and-receive-medals/

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/823-game-settings-in-preferencesxml/

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/1056-faqwhat-will-get-you-experience-and-what-will-not/

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/674-high-resolution-maps/

Discussions for the various classes.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/1168-official-tank-destroyers-discussion/

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/1026-official-light-tank-scout-discussion/

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/1139-official-spg-artillery-discussion/

So far I haven't found an official medium tank and larger discussion.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: July 12, 2010, 10:30:22 AM

3 things i've learned.

light tanks only purpose is to die
TD's suck.
I'll learn to play spg sometime in the far far future.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: July 12, 2010, 11:08:50 AM

So what is it that keeps killing me with one goddamn shot? Is that the arty or the tank destroyers?

Generally if you don't see it its arty, and a well placed shot will kill you. If your incombat or spotted you can be sure an arty is trying to line you up. Keep moving if your in combat and if you have the chance rush the arty piece and circle it, they will be unable to kill you.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: July 12, 2010, 01:19:31 PM

3 things i've learned.

light tanks only purpose is to die
TD's suck.
I'll learn to play spg sometime in the far far future.

The counter-argument is that your griping is based in not knowing what you're doing.

Let's get this out of the way: artillery is overpowered in the noob battles. It is. It needs to be tweaked downward. The reason it's so overpowered is that people don't know the best ways to play yet (DO NOT STAND IN ONE SPOT IN YOUR LIGHT TANK FOR THREE MINUTES PEOPLE) and light tanks are one shot on a solid artillery hit. Since everyone is in a light tank, artillery is pounding everyone and it's skewed.

Light tanks only purpose is to die: Wrong. Shoot, then move. When you switch tiers, light tanks are for scouting (you get xp for spotting enemies! DO IT!) and flanking. You flank to kill SPGs. If you are in a light tank and get killed in close quarters by a SPG? You are bad.

TDs suck: They're snipers with guns quite a bit more powerful than their tank counterparts. Hide in the bushes, one shot your enemy and then move. Anything else is doing it wrong.

SPGs: You're going to be amazed at how much you actually miss with SPGs once you actually play them for awhile. You're also not going to be one shotting medium and heavy tanks. You're also also going to be impressed with how much the ammo costs.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: July 12, 2010, 02:29:19 PM

Errr lolz. TD suck because medium tanks can do the same thing but with 3 times the functionality (hell medium tanks carry the same fucking guns as the tds do..). Light tanks purpose is to die because medium and heavy tanks are going to blow you to kindgom come before you finish circling them around, i've spotted their entire team, but die shortly after usually before getting off a single shot(usually win when this happens). Also if you haven't noticed most tier 3 and above games usually have no spg's, i guess people get tired of getting rofl stomped by blitzing medium tanks. the only reason people still use td's is because of the uber rotation speed. I simply said i like to learn it but not anytime soon. Really hard to hit something that isn't dumb enough to stand still, i have to hope the light tanks are spotting and not attempting to get their kdr positive. when i get more people to play this or join a clan i'll learn it.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: July 12, 2010, 02:35:00 PM

For the most part TDs can be upgunned past what medium tanks can. Higher muzzle velocity. Compare stats throughout.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: July 12, 2010, 02:40:51 PM

For the most part TDs can be upgunned past what medium tanks can. Higher muzzle velocity. Compare stats throughout.

where do you find this data in game?
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: July 12, 2010, 02:58:47 PM

I dunno, man. You seem to be having a pretty good time getting worked up about stuff you haven't bothered to find out about.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

But, no, you can find it in the tech tree. If you right click an upgrade you can view statistics. The stats window for that upgrade will stay open while you bop around opening other pieces of gear so you can compare. If you didn't see the characteristics window I'm wondering if you've actually upgraded your vehicles since it's the same dropdown.

Also, on TDs... I forgot to add that they're tougher to spot after firing than tanks. They're meant to be used, as mentioned, like a sniper.

To be clear here, I'm not saying the game is perfect or trying to deflect all criticism. Artillery needs to be toned down in the noob game, more map modes would be nice, credit income could probably be tweaked upward a bit and a few other things. What I am saying is that there's a whole lot of subtle touches to the game and even (dare I say it) realism in the physics models that aren't readily apparent off the bat. That's leading people who haven't, say, compared guns (hi2u DLRiley and your stream of consciousness posts) to one another to freak out about how lame the game is when there actually is a legitimate L2P angle.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: July 12, 2010, 03:33:26 PM

hey i'm not a complete noob, TD's are slightly more accurate and they bullets move faster. also they have a camo bonus. BUT a medium tank can carry the same caliber, blitz to the backline of the enemy flank, and can take more hits when flanked. the saving grace for the td is the turning radius which keeps it competitive (which is why people still play them past the tier1-2 zone) verse say the spg which dies in the first 60 seconds due suicidal light tanks and l33t medium tanks. i never have a problem with spg, but the medium tank seems to be a light tank and a td having an unholy baby. i can't really count that as credit against the game historic accuracy ftlolz but i think its safe to warn people from the frustration.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: July 12, 2010, 03:38:08 PM

I think it's going to be a different story with late game TDs. Armor sloping and high velocity 150mm direct fire AP guns are going to even the playing field, I wager.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: July 12, 2010, 04:56:39 PM

I think it's going to be a different story with late game TDs. Armor sloping and high velocity 150mm direct fire AP guns are going to even the playing field, I wager.

that would make light tanks near unplayable lolz.

edit 3 kills on A-20.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: July 13, 2010, 06:45:53 AM

Played this a bunch last night and the gold helps getting some of the other tanks up to speed :D.  Otherwise things would be slow going.

I have the two noob tanks all tricked out.  I have an SPG and a Tier 2 light tank.  Not sure what I'm doing but I'm getting a little better at the game.

What I'd like to know is what are those tanks that are moving twice the speed as my tank?  I need one of those.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: July 13, 2010, 07:01:17 AM

Probably a BT-2. They're obscenely fast.

Wait until you see the Leopard in action later on.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: July 13, 2010, 07:01:26 AM

It is  a nice casual  little game ,pretty fun and pretty easy .Dunno wtf is with retards complaining about the grind I already got 3 tier5 tanks   playing casually  -free gold helped pay. Only thing I dont get what it is doing in MMO section , it is not by any stretch of imagination a MMO. Its more like arcade multiplayer shooter with tanks . I mean we dont call BF series an MMO, why this one is different? Or it is new trend - everything multiplayer is called MMO! heck combat arms is called MMO somehow :/  

I dont see myself playing for very long though -limited amount of maps , pretty dated graphics and engine (no destructible environments ). There was nice ww2 3d person tactical shooter game from Russia while ago (8 years?)  and it had  destructible everything  - you shoot a house the wall is take out, you shoot more and it starts collapsing. Very detailed and very fun. We had it back then why cant we have now :( -guess I will be back at bf2
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:03:32 AM by Dark_MadMax »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #155 on: July 13, 2010, 07:03:47 AM

This is the classic game where I just care about playing, and growing up and gathering XP and improving stuff is just icing on the cake. Here I care more about playing than getting a better tank, which is what never happens in other MMOGs.

I know what and how many feel about the grind, but that only kicks in to me in PvE circumstances, when you are repeating the same actions over and over with no chance of failing. I never felt I was "grinding" in two years playing Counterstrike. I was just playing, and every round was a new fun thrilling one. If on the other hand you care more about growing than playing, I'm afraid you will always feel the grind at some point. It seems to be ingrained in the concept of "reward".

EDIT: Dark_MadMax, the game is supposed to have a persistent, on a signle server, map of Europe with an ongoing PvP clan war going on. That's the MMO part. And more maps are coming, night and foggy ones included.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: July 13, 2010, 07:41:24 AM

I have four T2 tanks and just spamming recruit games back to back awesome fun, name is Blindside.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: July 13, 2010, 07:50:44 AM

The environments actually are destructible. Mostly. You can tear down trees and some buildings will collapse if you shoot them enough. Most games are so short you never see it though.

And yes, the persistent MMO part isn't in quite yet.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: July 13, 2010, 08:07:11 AM

Is it worth playing the newbie tanks over and over to train the crew?
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: July 13, 2010, 08:31:23 AM

I can't actually tell. When I switch a crew between tanks the name of the tank they just came from is still by their names only in red. If I click retrain and then select the vehicle they end up going down to 25ish percent. Crew training and levels are completely opaque to me.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: July 13, 2010, 08:38:45 AM

I actually tried converting exp on one of my elite tanks last night to free exp. Unfortunately it costs 1 gold per 50 exp to convert it. Also no free gold once game goes live, read a dev post on the forums that stated that.

As for training the newbie crews up, I doubt I'd worry about it, the t2 tanks are quite a bit better and if all your playing with is t2 tanks money won't really be an issue in my opinion.

A good start to get some money is to get either of the TDs and just follow behind groups of light tanks on your side and snipe the tanks that attack them. Hide in the bushes with those things too, you can be really hard to see sometimes.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: July 13, 2010, 08:52:46 AM

No. You get more credits and xp for battle higher tier your tank is.  Its not worth staying at tier 3 even. You start raking in  really great credits at tier4- 5. I am not sure if its scales well all way to the top as repairs are getting more expensive. But I heard russian tanks are great farmers as they really cheap to repair - going to try t34-85 for that purpose this weekend if I level   xp by then

My best credit earner right now iz pz3 scout as I get 9k credits per battle on average . My pziv gets more base credits but its more expensive to repair and I dont get as much contribution as I do in pz3
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: July 13, 2010, 08:57:28 AM

I've been leveling German tanks.  Looks like I need to switch.  My baseline Russian one is one skill short of elite.  Oh and this game without daily gold is terrible. I wonder how much gold is going to cost at release.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: July 13, 2010, 09:43:18 AM

Well, a one day premium subscription (50% more gold and xp) costs 250 gold. I'll need to double check what a month's sub is but assuming a 10 to 15 buck range for a monthly (I'd have to think 10 bucks) then you might be able to extrapolate somewhat.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: July 13, 2010, 12:05:29 PM

No. You get more credits and xp for battle higher tier your tank is.  Its not worth staying at tier 3 even. You start raking in  really great credits at tier4- 5. I am not sure if its scales well all way to the top as repairs are getting more expensive. But I heard russian tanks are great farmers as they really cheap to repair - going to try t34-85 for that purpose this weekend if I level   xp by then

My best credit earner right now iz pz3 scout as I get 9k credits per battle on average . My pziv gets more base credits but its more expensive to repair and I dont get as much contribution as I do in pz3
You have 2 choices, you can get 5 tier 2 tanks and farm cash and get 100% on their henchmen. Or you could rush to tier 4 and hope your leet enough to get 9k per battle (i don't think its possible with russian tanks lolz).

glad someone else agree with about the gold.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: July 13, 2010, 01:38:11 PM

No, I have option 3: Play the game for the sake of playing the game like I would any other action shooter and don't worry about spreadsheeting the fun to get to the top tank.

Incidentally, top tanks are balanced with all the others and by the matchmaking. You're really not going to be any better in your Maus.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: July 13, 2010, 01:53:32 PM

Option 3 never exist, because unlike other action shooters you don't get better guns the longer they play. Most people will probably farm the starter ranks in hopes of affording a medium or heavy tank.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: July 13, 2010, 02:13:48 PM

I can tell you that it absolutely exists because I and about 20 other people I brought along by hyping this up are playing exactly that way. Christ, endgame eyes on the prize MMOs like WoW have ruined gamers for a generation.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: July 13, 2010, 02:26:11 PM

I see most people not liking the intro tank or their first tier 2 tank they play. Its about finding your play style, and if you don't find it you simply get disinterested and leave. Also people like to experiment, which is ill afforded. I don't see why you think people won't go "i wanna play a heavy tank so i can fill the roll of a heavy tank...HOLY FGUK 3million cash WTF!!!...........shit going to need to faaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrmm". Its bone headed, if all is equal than the price shouldn't be stratified. Guys like you who accommodate this design is why we still have this shit.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #169 on: July 13, 2010, 03:48:46 PM

This game is a niche game for so many reasons, the dev clearly stated that in a few interviews. The people DLRiley is talking about exist and they will go fuck themselves somewhere else soon enough. On the other hand, plenty of tank maniacs and just people who like their shooters more tactical and less twitchy while still being quick and entertaining will keep on playing for a long time. This game is good and surprisingly refreshing. All the points about carroting the stick have been made, and they make sense from a certain perspective. Now what about accepting that not everyone is into progression, and sometimes just playing, and not gaining, is the fun part?

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: July 13, 2010, 04:01:58 PM

Falc you said that about every game circling the drain(and still are). "Its niche leave it alone" doesn't cut it anymore.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: July 13, 2010, 04:03:25 PM

IGuys like you who accommodate this design is why we still have this shit.

And guys like you who can't take the time to make a cogent argument in English is why it won't change. I literally have no fucking clue what you type three quarters of the time.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: July 13, 2010, 04:08:46 PM

Option 3 never exist, because unlike other action shooters you don't get better guns the longer they play. Most people will probably farm the starter ranks in hopes of affording a medium or heavy tank.

What? Thats exactly what you get - longer you play , better guns you get  and more tanks . I play it exactly as action shooter. you could get unlock more guns/perks  longer you play in FPS for quite a while - I dont see how its different.

I been reading the forums at work apparently higher tier tanks are net loss in battles after repairs and ammo.  Imho that is quite clever balancing  - so you dont have games where everyone is tier10 all the time and have to drop back to lower tiers ever so often.  - I like variety  .  WoT has more MMOish flavor ( the progression curve is more expressed and more pronounced) but its still action shooter.  Every tank is viable , every tank has its role. You wouldnt whine in TF2 that heavy can rape your medic , or that heavy cant heal. So why whine that scout tanks have trouble killing heavy tanks or that heavy tanks are slow?

Game has quite a bit a range of tactical possibilities and interesting tactical decisions which will come apparent when clan wars starts (as pubs are ... welll pubs) - thats why I like it.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: July 13, 2010, 04:17:41 PM

the mmo generation takes the anal raping of their time in stride I see.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #174 on: July 13, 2010, 05:18:59 PM

You know, its just nice that a multiplayer game has come out that doesn't require grind to get to the fun. I have myself a few bought tanks, including an SPG and the PzII, but I still like to take out the newb tanks from time to time when I don't want to think too much about tactics and just be scout/fodder for a few minutes before I'm shelled into the ground.

Maybe I'll get sick of it sooner rather than later, but the cool thing is, I'm having fun NOW. Not 3 months from now when I finally get my SSOY and can be part of a l33t guild or someshit.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: