Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:02:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092212 times)
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 29, 2010, 10:03:27 AM

why so serious? I can't wait to bunny-hop in my tank to dodge your shells!
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 29, 2010, 10:18:56 AM

Because it's TANKS dammit!

Here is a tautology that I think will explain why you are having trouble understanding this:

• Nebu  Heart  the Scientific Method
  • Scientific Method  h8 Fun
ergo
  • Nebu  h8 Fun

"tautology", the heart symbol, "h8" and Scientific Method... that's like a triple word score right there, I rule!

That's awesome.  I laughed for a while about that one.

If it's fun, I'll play it.  I just have a bad feeling about it being the same kind of lame tactics that drive me away from most FPS games.  Ok, that and my lack of FPS twitch skill drives me away. 
I think its because your not a real man.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #37 on: June 29, 2010, 01:53:30 PM

I could have sworn the US has some crazy fire control system on the M4 Sherman (maybe the Sheridan too, but that was a true light tank).  I know the modern tanks have a great shoot on the move ability, but hell if I know about the history of it. 
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 29, 2010, 03:48:36 PM

The Sherman had a very rudimentary stabilization system, it was hated by most of the crews and was rarely used.  WW2 tanks shot mostly while stationary, at least when firing the main gun at point targets.  In defense this wasn't too hard to arrange, during offense you either kept part of your tanks stationary to cover the moving ones or learned how to shoot from the short halt, which is where the Sherman's stabilizer was supposed to be the most useful since it would in theory keep the gun approximately on target while you moved.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #39 on: June 30, 2010, 09:52:32 AM

Press release.

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 03, 2010, 04:12:29 PM

They're giving out free keys to the closed beta right now. I got one, and I've downloaded the client. You'll be able to play starting on the 8th.

http://www.massively.com/2010/07/01/score-yourself-a-world-of-tanks-closed-beta-key-here/
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 04, 2010, 10:45:25 AM

http://www.worldoftanks.ru/video-4.html

Lovely trailer, makes fun of EVE to boot.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: July 06, 2010, 05:27:08 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 07:40:48 AM

Played this some, beta is on.  Its...alright, but the gameplay is a little slower than I'd like.  Not particularly compelling, but I haven't really played enough to give it a chance.  I also worry about the idea of buying better tanks through the cash shop.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 08, 2010, 08:36:22 AM

No, I like this. I like this bunches. It doesn't feel like a reskinned fps. Not really, anyway, though it's definitely not grognard HARDCORE.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #45 on: July 08, 2010, 09:02:44 AM

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 08, 2010, 10:03:24 AM

Gave it a shot today.

Good - destructible environments, tanks have to be stopped in order to shoot accurately.

Bad - zero coordination, initial tank blows, I'm garbage at this game.

Anyone else giving it a go?
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 08, 2010, 10:06:27 AM

Gave it a shot today.

Good - destructible environments, tanks have to be stopped in order to shoot accurately.

sounds like the typical mmo clown shoes, i'll play this with low expectations at the wee hours of 9pm eastern
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 08, 2010, 10:15:57 AM

Gave it a shot today.

sounds like the typical mmo clown shoes, i'll play this with low expectations at the wee hours of 9pm eastern

The initial tank is terrible thing is probably the worst part.  It start off with the "this is awesome" bang that makes me want to keep playing a lot.  Of course it doesn't help that no one has anything besides the starter tank yet because the beta just started, so there are 30 pea shooters firing at each other, which doesn't make for high drama.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 10:31:23 AM

My only real complaint is that the menu options to research new tanks and stuff is a little clunky. It seems smooth but there's not as much info as I'd like and I feel like there's always one extra window I'm going through than I should have to.

The new tank thing doesn't bug me too much. I have a headache right now or I'd play more but it doesn't seem like it'll take that long to get some new tanks going. Plus I figure that you can buy a new tank with RMT at launch right off the bat if you want to (although that's not implemented) so whatever; five bucks for a PzIII isn't too bad.

Note to the mods: I'm pretty damned certain there was no NDA on this but if I found out otherwise I'll gladly redact this sort of talk.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 08, 2010, 10:34:35 AM

I hope this is not one of those "you play this for the sim elements you wow tard!" games awesome, for real
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: July 08, 2010, 10:58:00 AM

I hope this is not one of those "you play this for the sim elements you wow tard!" games awesome, for real

Its not.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: July 08, 2010, 11:00:40 AM

Lord no. The tanks play like tanks in the BF series.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: July 08, 2010, 12:16:09 PM

Heart DRILLING AND MANLINESS Heart DRILLING AND MANLINESS Heart DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I love tanks and all things tank related.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: July 08, 2010, 12:54:08 PM

Oh hey. Shift zooms in your sight.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I actually hit something.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: July 08, 2010, 01:02:16 PM

Oh hey. Shift zooms in your sight.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I actually hit something.

So does the mouse wheel?
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: July 08, 2010, 01:13:22 PM

No, mouse wheel zooms in and out behind you. I mean shift puts you in a tank scope on telescopic zoom.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: July 08, 2010, 04:30:26 PM

So the patcher uses .torrents within its program.

The game/servers go down. Nobody can patch anymore.

Nothing on the forums from anyone about this. People trying to play the game are sharing the partial torrent files and are using utorrent to connect to the server (WHICH ISN'T HOSTING THE PATCH FILE)

Everyone is at 8.1% of a 9meg patch file until a player finally jumps on the utorrent with the full file and everyone gets to 100%

Repeat.

And still no word from the company.

The beta testers are having to troubleshoot patching the fucking game by opening their .torrent files in utorrent and sharing information.

Clownshoes.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: July 08, 2010, 04:34:04 PM

so waiting to play this at 9pm eastern was a good idea huh  Ohhhhh, I see.

starting up the good old exe (well the short cut to it anyway) and getting
connecting to update server
receiving patches
receiving patches
receiving patches
receiving patches

hasn't changed in 3 minutes, checking, nope haven't changed. I think i'm used to open beta being "troubleshoot our buggy servers for us, your gamers you'll figure it out".  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:40:43 PM by DLRiley »
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: July 08, 2010, 04:36:14 PM

Really? I'm tearing it up and there's like 1000 people in right now. Hrm.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: July 08, 2010, 05:12:49 PM

Apparently, there is an issue with their download servers for some folks.  Some people have zipped their updates folder, installing it over your updates folder is supposed to be working for those not able to d/l it normally.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/923-problems-with-patch-official/

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/918-people-who-cant-patch-please-read/

Edit:  Just tried the zipped patch, and it worked like a charm.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:17:20 PM by Cadaverine »

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: July 08, 2010, 05:21:42 PM

I've been playing for a about two hours now and I really like this. It's incredibly smooth playing for a not quite early beta. There are some balance issues, for sure; artillery is currently grotesque when it starts raining down. There's plenty of time to hammer that stuff out though.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: July 08, 2010, 06:09:45 PM

This might be one of the worst game I've ever played.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #63 on: July 08, 2010, 08:12:25 PM

What is the NDA status on this game?
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 08, 2010, 08:39:39 PM

There isn't one that I've can locate.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 08, 2010, 08:49:25 PM

Been having a hell of a time. Heart This game is pretty awesome. I lost 4 hours of my evening in a blink. It needs a few things ironed out for sure. But over all alot of fun. Also matchmaking needs a bit of a tune up.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: July 08, 2010, 11:05:18 PM

Be sure to upgrade your engine right away make such a huge difference.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: July 09, 2010, 04:44:49 AM

This game is immensly frustrating.  Heartbreak

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 09, 2010, 04:50:13 AM

Been having a hell of a time. Heart This game is pretty awesome. I lost 4 hours of my evening in a blink. It needs a few things ironed out for sure. But over all alot of fun. Also matchmaking needs a bit of a tune up.

Matchmaking fixes are an ongoing tweak, with group join eventually making it in. So premades, death of all that is pure, blah blah. I'll repeat: this is a fairly early beta. For it to be in the state it's in, where we're complaining about balance and matchmaking instead of it melting down your machine or deleting your progress, is pretty nifty. To me, anyway. It's not traditional MMO by any means but it's better than other comparable shooters like, oh, APB at a corresponding point in development.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: July 09, 2010, 08:08:36 AM

This game is immensly frustrating.  Heartbreak

It is, at first.  It doesn't help that there's no documentation, or help of any kind, really.  Once you figure out what you're doing, though, it becomes a lot of fun.

I was up til 3 am playing, and where it not for having to go to work, I'd probably be playing it still. Some other MMO devs would do well to take some lessons from these guys.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: