Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 08:05:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1104670 times)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #5600 on: September 04, 2015, 09:05:58 AM

I just got a message I had my 10,000th victory. That's a lot of battles. My poor crews.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5601 on: September 04, 2015, 12:15:28 PM

I just got a message I had my 10,000th victory. That's a lot of battles. My poor crews.

Does that mean you're playing again?  I may have to come back!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5602 on: September 06, 2015, 04:10:27 AM

Well this thread just went to crazy town. I just play pubbies solo to have a bit of fun without considering it an e-sport or anything particularly important and occasionally drop a bit of money on it when I'm actively playing. Am I doing it wrong?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #5603 on: September 06, 2015, 05:24:22 AM

It seems like a lot of you play this game to make money... to make money. Or actually to make money to buy tanks to make money to buy tanks to make money to buy tanks. I thought the good times in WoT came from the PvP battles and trying to win them.

Nothing can be done about it, but few things annoy me more than seeing game after game, my games, ruined by kamikaze people playing like shit only to grind money as efficiently as they can. In some other most notable PvP arena games playing like shit on purpose is a reportable offense and if you accrue enough of them you get temp-bans.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5604 on: September 06, 2015, 01:10:19 PM

I dunno, I always play to win - sometimes poorly, but I never intentionally throw games.

Because that'd be fucking ridiculous.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5605 on: September 08, 2015, 01:31:32 AM

I'm not gonna lie. I don't suicide or any shit like that but I alt-tab out when I get killed. This game is not a lifestyle choice for me, so I don't care to watch some other guy play for the following 5 or 10 minutes to help me L2Pn00b. I alt-tab out and do other, more productive stuff. 

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #5606 on: September 08, 2015, 03:25:02 AM

I don't think anyone would suggest that leaving the game after you die is a scourge on the game ;) I tend to leave battle after I die, unless there's someone good I would like to watch, which is rare.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #5607 on: September 08, 2015, 05:31:55 AM

In some other most notable PvP arena games playing like shit on purpose is a reportable offense and if you accrue enough of them you get temp-bans.

I'd like to know what notable games these are because some people are just bad at PvP, PvP "experts" are usually giant fucking crybabies who would report half their team every single game if they could, and I've never once seen any online game ever that playing poorly was a reportable offense.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5608 on: September 08, 2015, 06:45:34 AM

PvP "experts" are usually giant fucking crybabies who would report half their team every single game if they could

Well, that is undeniably true.
But my point is that playing poorly and without giving a fuck about the match in order to grind more quickly is despicable, regardless if I can report you and get you permabanned, send a colony of mosquitos to your house and hope they sting you to insanity, or just do nothing at all and I'll have to suck it up until I am tired of pubbies and eventually stop playing (which is what happens).

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5609 on: September 08, 2015, 08:01:04 AM

Your entitlement over other people's play is astounding. Maybe they just really suck that bad or are quadriplegics playing with a sip n puff. Or maybe they enjoy playing badly to watch folks who take it too seriously rage.

Either way, you've come across the only defense. Stop playing. Which reiterates why I've always hated the trend to Multiplayer games.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5610 on: September 08, 2015, 08:08:11 AM

I really don't see it as an entitlement issue so much as a desire for a better matchmaking system.  This is something that I've come to prefer with games like HOTS and LoL.  Once you get good at the game you begin to get matched with other good players.  It improves the quality of matches and reduces (notice I didn't say 'eliminates') the possibility of getting trolls and dead weight on your team.  Clan wars is about the closest thing that WoT has to ensuring that all 30 people on the map are invested in the outcome.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5611 on: September 08, 2015, 08:22:09 AM

Your entitlement over other people's play is astounding. Maybe they just really suck that bad or are quadriplegics playing with a sip n puff. Or maybe they enjoy playing badly to watch folks who take it too seriously rage.

I am not saying "bad players shouldn't play". Please quote the part where I say that in red for me. I am a terrible player myself.
I said "people who throw themselves at the enemy to die fast and grind XP or money ruin the game(s) for everybody else".

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #5612 on: September 08, 2015, 09:10:30 AM

I am not saying "bad players shouldn't play". Please quote the part where I say that in red for me. I am a terrible player myself.
I said "people who throw themselves at the enemy to die fast and grind XP or money ruin the game(s) for everybody else".

The issue is determining what is playing badly on purpose (trollplaying), playing badly because you;re new or genuinely bad (new players and the aging [me]), A good strategy that didn't work, or someone with something unexpected that came up and they don't want to just AFK without at least helping spot something. I don't know how many games I had to leave fast to get my crying baby so I just set cruisecontrol so I'd drive forward until I was killed. Or when I drive my 110 and drive straight at where I know people are to get them to shoot me. If they aren't tier X or shooting gold they aren't going to pen me and it'll reveal them. If they are tier X or shooting gold I die in 10 seconds? Do either of those make me a bad player?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5613 on: September 08, 2015, 09:29:21 AM

I'm not gonna lie. I don't suicide or any shit like that but I alt-tab out when I get killed. This game is not a lifestyle choice for me, so I don't care to watch some other guy play for the following 5 or 10 minutes to help me L2Pn00b. I alt-tab out and do other, more productive stuff. 
Why don't you just exit the battle after you die? Head scratch

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5614 on: September 08, 2015, 09:31:43 AM

There's nothing wrong with leaving a battle after you are dead. Everyone does that.

Hic sunt dracones.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #5615 on: September 08, 2015, 10:39:22 AM

I don't think people should be punished for playing poorly or kamikaze grinding, but they should definitely be called out for it.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5616 on: September 08, 2015, 10:52:56 AM

They should be punished for botting. And if their stats are bad enough, they should be prevented from playing higher tiers. Nothing shittier than pulling your shiny new tier 9 out of the garage only to be thrown into a tier 10 match where the 10s are your team are shitters who botted their way to tier 10 and have earthly idea which direction to even point their tank. Having terrible top tier tanks makes games virtually unwinnable.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #5617 on: September 08, 2015, 12:27:09 PM

Botting, playing poorly, and stats in WoT meaning as much as people think they do are 3 separate issues.

Also, if WG's games had the option to play vs AI and make close to the same XP and money as PvP, the only people playing against other players would be clanfags.

Also X2 Way to really underwhelm me with the shit "Ancient Weapon" for this week. If the theme of these things is "Giant weak spots with no armor" they can at least keep releasing rare and unusual stuff.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:29:33 PM by angry.bob »

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5618 on: September 08, 2015, 02:04:04 PM

If I'm in a T5 tank in a T7 game, I'm going to scout - even if I'm in a Heavy, since I can't do jack shit to the enemy's Wall of Steel. Maybe though I can get enough spots off to help an arty but mostly so my own guys see the lay of the enemy on the map. Then I die. Now work out how to separate that mentality from the guys you're complaining about.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5619 on: September 08, 2015, 02:09:28 PM

Doesn't "Back to Garage" count as a desertion and wipe whatever points/exp you earned in the battle (besides die)? Wait.. can you jump into another game immediately with a different tank?  swamp poop

In that case, I'll say because loldocumentation.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5620 on: September 08, 2015, 02:15:47 PM

They should be punished for botting. And if their stats are bad enough, they should be prevented from playing higher tiers. Nothing shittier than pulling your shiny new tier 9 out of the garage only to be thrown into a tier 10 match where the 10s are your team are shitters who botted their way to tier 10 and have earthly idea which direction to even point their tank. Having terrible top tier tanks makes games virtually unwinnable.

Your vidyagame elitism continues to amuse. It's the same "play the game like I want you to" that I saw from you in the BF3 threads so long ago. Or we get from MMO devs when the playerbase aren't having fun in the "proper" way as they intended. If you want to play the best of the best, play only team matches with your equally skilled mates. I can't imagine WG even dreaming that removing the huge source of income that is the bulk of their high tier playerbase is a good idea. And pubs are what they are. They're a crapshoot at best. You know what you're getting into, so who's at fault if you get frustrated by playing in them? You know there's going to be traces of urine in the public swimming pool, after all.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5621 on: September 08, 2015, 02:18:52 PM

Doesn't "Back to Garage" count as a desertion and wipe whatever points/exp you earned in the battle (besides die)? Wait.. can you jump into another game immediately with a different tank?  swamp poop

There's no penalty if you leave after you are destroyed. You can lose XP and run afoul of the Desertion discipline system if you leave before you are destroyed:

And:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Tank_Experience_and_Credits

Search for "Exiting battle" no quotes.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5622 on: September 08, 2015, 02:21:32 PM

If I'm in a T5 tank in a T7 game, I'm going to scout - even if I'm in a Heavy, since I can't do jack shit to the enemy's Wall of Steel. Maybe though I can get enough spots off to help an arty but mostly so my own guys see the lay of the enemy on the map. Then I die. Now work out how to separate that mentality from the guys you're complaining about.

Looks like there's a misunderstanding here. I am not complaining about the theoretical people who die soon in a game and I will never know why it happened. I am "complaining" about those who candidly declare they die soon on purpose to cycle double XP tanks.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5623 on: September 08, 2015, 02:23:45 PM

OK fair enough on that. I've never seen it myself, but then half of the chatter in my window is in either Vietnamese or Pinoy.

And thanks Trippy. I did not know that. Now I can cycle through my x2 exp tanks much faster.  awesome, for real

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5624 on: September 08, 2015, 02:32:10 PM

Their XP curve leads to a lot of the shit play and botting. If it stayed as engaging as it was early-on I wouldn't have felt the need to get in, spam games for my 2x on multiple lines and not care about playing well.  When you've got 1 1/2 - 2h tops for games and you just want to hit the next tank you start to do dumb stuff like that.  

Granted the grind sells premium time, but I'm more inclined to spend cash on tanks, consumables and cammo than I ever will be on a subscription. I'm not doing that again for any game AND I spend waaaay more when not forced to pay a sub.  Shit I've spent $400 or more on Marvel Heroes in the last year, HAPPILY, because I'm able to level-up quickly and get to the rest of the game. That's 2x the sub fee WG wants to grind out of me via shitty drip-xp.

The entitlement thing was a joke, chillax.

However, so long as there's a grind people will will game it to be most effective for THEM, without giving a shit about how it affects YOU. Good games take this into account and design an experience that accounts for it. Bad games tell you that you're a terrible player and punish everyone by making the game shittier when you do it.  Generally.

Now if there's enough of a discrepancy in shitty and middling they should be tiered out so it doesn't affect other players. Maybe the rankings aren't granular enough to keep the suicide runners out. Maybe it IS that granular but there aren't enough players to start a game of shitbirds and keep the low-middling players on their own. These are also problems that can be addressed but only if the devs care enough to.

WayAbvPar

Reply #5625 on: September 08, 2015, 02:57:03 PM

It is a team game. You owe it to your teammates to give an effort to help win the game. "But I play for fun!" says the shitlord. Isn't winning more fun than losing? Why would you ever play a game that was so obviously hard for you? I am not talking about the people with 1000 games played who are still largely clueless, because the game is complex as hell and the documentation is laughable. I am talking about the subhuman garbage that have 50k games played and STILL play worse than an AFK bot. And then get all indignant when you ask them to at least TRY to pull their own weight.

You can be as shitty as you want in a single player game. When you play team games, you don't have that luxury. At least try to improve, or fuck you.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5626 on: September 08, 2015, 03:44:26 PM

awesome, for real
Fucking hell. Seek help.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5627 on: September 08, 2015, 04:37:32 PM

I owe no responsibility to 'my team.' None. There's no social contract here, no give and take, no net gain to the 'greater good' for playing one way vs. another. Those constructs are in your mind, not mine.

All I want to do is drive tanks. I don't care about winning or losing. Only that the tank looks cool and I want to see the next cool tank. Oh, but that takes forever, so instead I'll use this nifty bot program. It takes the suck out of me seeing new tanks. Yay.

Are you the guy who yells at the other team for not having 6 ringers that can crank the ball over the fence in the beer league softball game? Who pitches a fit at his co-workers for DARING to not swing at that fucking ball or dive when they TOTALLY COULD HAVE MADE THAT PLAY, LESLIE.

Because that's what public games are. They're the beer league but you don't get to pick your team. They have every right to get indignant, because you're being a try hard. There's other places for that.

Maybe winning's not what they're in it for. You don't know and you can't change them so why let it upset you so much. You have no investment in the game beyond your time and how emotionally involved you let yourself get.

If it's a waste of your time, you can find other venues where people want to try as much as you do. You can petition WG to increase that MM timer so that it finds enough players of the same WN7 rating before starting a game. They likely won't do it, but it's more effective a use of the frustration than raging about it.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #5628 on: September 08, 2015, 05:00:03 PM

Don't feel bad about it, I thought you had to stay for about 6 months until some random pub guy told me once you died you could leave without penalty.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #5629 on: September 10, 2015, 12:43:58 AM

So my current WN8 shows as purple or something close to it and being clanless this leads to a fair amount of messages from recruiters. Most of them I fob off, but I showed an interest in a couple of top clans who approached me, PINGU being one of them. Then they kinda balked when they saw my recent WN8 (1800), they told me to get it up to purple or some shit. I've been spamming the AMX CDC lately and damn is it hard to get a good WN8 in that tank. I played a game yesterday - spotted 7 tanks, assisted 3k worth of damage, got 4 kills and did 1.6k worth of damage. My WN8 for that game was 1500. So yeh this metric actually sucks as it only accounts for certain playstyles, I always knew it was flawed but to what extent I didn't realise til now. I understand they can't include the spotting damage due to lack of information from the API but man is this a glaring omission.

I'm not gonna be caring about joining a clan (not that I was too pushed anyway), especially ones that focus on bullshit metrics so I guess I'll remain clanless for now. I'm tempted to reroll on the EU servers and see how I get on. Shame they never introduced server switching.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5630 on: September 10, 2015, 07:35:48 AM

Can I use the term "elitist faggots" now, without being called an elitist faggot?  why so serious?

I thought you could freely play on different servers in WOT and you could hop onto NA or EU.

Hic sunt dracones.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5631 on: September 10, 2015, 08:21:26 AM

I'm not gonna be caring about joining a clan (not that I was too pushed anyway), especially ones that focus on bullshit metrics so I guess I'll remain clanless for now. I'm tempted to reroll on the EU servers and see how I get on. Shame they never introduced server switching.

I spent a lot of time and effort trying to improve my stats so that I could join a solid clan.  So I got my WR to 54, my 60 day stats purple, and got a few invites.  I joined a clan and did clan wars for a month or so.  I quickly realized that clan wars was more like a second job (training, meetings, drama, etc) and quit the clan.  I'll stick to platoons and random games.  Anything more makes this game play like a job.

-  Mark Twain
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #5632 on: September 10, 2015, 08:36:45 AM

Yeh I don't really care for all that, just wanna platoon with decent players.

I thought you could freely play on different servers in WOT and you could hop onto NA or EU.

You can, but you need start from scratch.

WayAbvPar

Reply #5633 on: September 10, 2015, 11:44:03 AM

So griefers who are better at games are terrible people for ruining other people's fun, but shitheads who don't even bother trying to learn to play a team game (or afk bot) are shining bastions of unassailable virtue. Got it. And I am the one who needs help for preferring that my teammates not actively sabotage my team.

Amarr, Furiously (Katiri in game) and I play together pretty much every day if you want to join us. We are not elite unicums or anything, but we are better than the average drooling cretin that plays this terrible game. Add us as friends and come find us.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5634 on: September 10, 2015, 12:11:25 PM

No.

Stop caring. Or, alternatively, only play with people who care.

Any other way lies madness, anger and an all too early heart attack over something trivial you - by design - can't control.

Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: