Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:56:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1092319 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5635 on: September 10, 2015, 12:15:03 PM

I'm scared to play with WAP awesome, for real
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #5636 on: September 10, 2015, 12:18:10 PM

So griefers who are better at games are terrible people for ruining other people's fun, but shitheads who don't even bother trying to learn to play a team game (or afk bot) are shining bastions of unassailable virtue. Got it. And I am the one who needs help for preferring that my teammates not actively sabotage my team.
Yes. Because none of what those people you're complaining about is "actively sabotaging" your team. Understand that unless you're in a platoon with friends, no one else in the entire game cares about anyone else playing in the entire game. Not only could you be a server controlled bot for all they care, many of them would actually prefer it if you were.

We are not elite unicums or anything, but we are better than the average drooling cretin that plays this terrible game.
You're acting an awful lot like one. The solution you need to embrace is not demanding, or even hoping, that entire reality of the game changes but rather that you learn to enjoy pub matches for what they are and how they play, only play in clan matches, or uninstall. Because guess what, it's only going to get worse. The filthy casuals shitting on your high tier game play now are the waves of good and mediocre players who've ground their way to tier ten. You still have the waves of bad and then terrible players coming. I predicted that this would happen much earlier in this thread, and I'll be right about this part too.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5637 on: September 10, 2015, 12:22:49 PM

Using a bot to gain XP or just AFKing is sabotaging your team's chance to win. Playing thousands of games and not learning even the basics of strategy or game mechanics? Sabotaging your team. If you just want to mindlessly drive tanks, why do it in a PVP environment? There are tons of tank games out there. I just can't wrap my mind around playing a competitive game without trying to improve or win. How is that fun?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5638 on: September 10, 2015, 01:03:06 PM

I'm scared to play with WAP awesome, for real

Me too  awesome, for real

Hic sunt dracones.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5639 on: September 10, 2015, 01:48:49 PM

WAP makes the game more fun... Especially during losing streaks.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5640 on: September 10, 2015, 01:55:22 PM

So griefers who are better at games are terrible people for ruining other people's fun, but shitheads who don't even bother trying to learn to play a team game (or afk bot) are shining bastions of unassailable virtue. Got it. And I am the one who needs help for preferring that my teammates not actively sabotage my team.

Amarr, Furiously (Katiri in game) and I play together pretty much every day if you want to join us. We are not elite unicums or anything, but we are better than the average drooling cretin that plays this terrible game. Add us as friends and come find us.

Pretty much every session I play I briefly rage a few times in several of the matches against the useless cunts that make up a good chunk of my team for being absolute morons, AFKers or tactically stupid. But then I get over it at the end of the match or before, because it's just not worth it, and ultimately it and they doesn't matter.

The other thing to remember is that these players are a boon to people like yourself, as your stats/win ratio/etc wouldn't be anywhere as high as it is if you had only players of your own skill level to compete against. Remove the bad players, shitheads, shitlords and "subhuman garbage" and you'll find your own stats heading straight towards the middle or below as you would no longer turn out to be as good as you currently are in a much more comparatively level playing field. Just as wolves need sheep, "good players" need "bad players" to get their stats to purple or however the fuck this game tracks metrics.

You don't need help because useless cunts piss you off briefly. You need help because you care way too fucking much and lose your shit raging here suggesting that they should be removed from the game, etc. Which is just crazytown.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5641 on: September 10, 2015, 01:59:06 PM

Using a bot to gain XP or just AFKing is sabotaging your team's chance to win. Playing thousands of games and not learning even the basics of strategy or game mechanics? Sabotaging your team. If you just want to mindlessly drive tanks, why do it in a PVP environment? There are tons of tank games out there. I just can't wrap my mind around playing a competitive game without trying to improve or win. How is that fun?

This game is free and looks pretty for a free game. It's WG's business model. The game is pretty grindy with a "daily quest" mentality bolted onto it to increase concurrent users and retention (via force of habit). You're not stupid. How can you be surprised that the playerbase is like this?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5642 on: September 10, 2015, 02:03:54 PM

Yeah,that's a good point that I've heard before. For those "great games" you meed your teammates to be just a small bit less shit than your opponents, so they don't get killed off immediately and you get surrounded, but don't be good enough to kill or damage shit too much before you get around to it.

You're welcome.  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #5643 on: September 10, 2015, 02:30:13 PM

Using a bot to gain XP or just AFKing is sabotaging your team's chance to win.
Nobody has defended either of these groups, stop equating them with "people I think play badly". Note: Going AFK sometimes is unavoidable unless you literally have no life. Just learn to deal with it. For all you know that AFK  guy had a heart attack from sitting on his ass playing tanks all day.

Playing thousands of games and not learning even the basics of strategy or game mechanics? Sabotaging your team.
Boo Hoo. I let my 8 year old play sometimes, and now my 4 year old too. And sometimes I just play shitty because no fucks were given. You can complain about it when you're paying me a salary or my monthly sub fee. But regardless, none of that is "sabotaging" "the team". The word sabotage means a certain thing, and it's not how you're using it.

If you just want to mindlessly drive tanks, why do it in a PVP environment? There are tons of tank games out there. I just can't wrap my mind around playing a competitive game without trying to improve or win. How is that fun?

I don't even want to drive them. I just want to look at them in the garage and change their options and cammo. I literally want a Barbie dress up game that's tanks. I want a replacement for a room full of 1/35th scale armor models. But I can't have that unless I grind. So there you go.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #5644 on: September 11, 2015, 01:01:16 AM

Nobody has defended either of these groups, stop equating them with "people I think play badly". Note: Going AFK sometimes is unavoidable unless you literally have no life. Just learn to deal with it. For all you know that AFK  guy had a heart attack from sitting on his ass playing tanks all day.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Not sure why I'm laughing at that mental image, I must be a very twisted person.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5645 on: September 17, 2015, 12:09:06 PM

Matchmaker- working as intended.

I had a lot of help-

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5646 on: September 17, 2015, 12:28:18 PM

Yeah I really don't understand why the MM algorithm doesn't simply swap players after it finds enough players for both teams to balance things out. It's like they had a summer intern write that code and now nobody else wants to touch it.

I'm pretty blasé about getting steamrolled in this game except when it's because of a ridiculous MM matchup based strictly on tank compositions (i.e. ignoring playing ratings).

Here's an example from a few days ago:

http://i.imgur.com/1mzC9qp.jpg

The enemy has *5* more heavy tanks and we have *0* top-tier heavies on our side *and* they have ~1500 HPs more than our team. It would be trivial to swap one of the top tier heavies and one of the tier V heavies on their team to our side to balance things out and yet the MM is unable to do it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 03:01:05 PM by Trippy »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5647 on: September 17, 2015, 02:57:54 PM

I had a lot of help-

The amount of fail on that team was epic.  2 E75 and a JgPz 100 with 0 damage.  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 05:50:23 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #5648 on: September 18, 2015, 04:54:38 AM

I just looked at my garage and there's an E25 sitting there, apparently a reward for a mission I didn't even know I was working towards  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5649 on: September 18, 2015, 05:49:53 AM

You didn't notice all those personal reserves you were getting for some inexplicable reason?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5650 on: September 18, 2015, 06:13:05 AM

You didn't notice all those personal reserves you were getting for some inexplicable reason?

I don't even know what these reserves things are.  Are they some kind of a buff?

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5651 on: September 18, 2015, 06:57:33 AM

Yeah they are temp XP boosts that last for a few hours when activated. They added them in the 9.8 patch as mission rewards. If you click your name in the top left you'll see three boxes where you can slot in boosts. The boosts of the same type, combat, free and crew don't stack. The smaller rewards expire so you'll lose them if you don't use them in time. The bigger ones, like the ones people are getting from the E25 missions, don't expire.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5652 on: September 18, 2015, 07:16:46 AM

Yeah they are temp XP boosts that last for a few hours when activated. They added them in the 9.8 patch as mission rewards. If you click your name in the top left you'll see three boxes where you can slot in boosts. The boosts of the same type, combat, free and crew don't stack. The smaller rewards expire so you'll lose them if you don't use them in time. The bigger ones, like the ones people are getting from the E25 missions, don't expire.

Nice.  Thank you!

-  Mark Twain
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #5653 on: September 18, 2015, 07:41:58 AM

Yeh I have a bunch of reserves, but no idea what I'm doing to get them. I've used a few recently.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5654 on: September 18, 2015, 07:47:25 AM

You get them for completing certain missions.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #5655 on: September 18, 2015, 10:19:42 AM

Just a note: The reserves bonus seems to be calculated after all the other stuff so something like the 50% XP bonus applied to one of those 3X XP missions would give you a way bigger bonus.

Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5656 on: September 18, 2015, 01:46:51 PM

I had a lot of help-

Reading what I think is the wn8 scores it looks like 0 damage is near the norm for one of those E75s. His 168 win8 is actually difficult to achieve. I generally get over 200 with 0 damage in a game. The one person that did help on team was also the top wn8. I would say even if the tier 10s on each side were balanced but the players the same the result of who won unlikely to have changed based on number of wn8s over 1800 on other team.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5657 on: September 18, 2015, 02:10:29 PM

Yeah, it was a bad team. I am used to that. It would be nice if the MM made even the slightest attempt to balance the tier distribution, however.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5658 on: September 18, 2015, 03:11:26 PM

I had a lot of help-
Reading what I think is the wn8 scores it looks like 0 damage is near the norm for one of those E75s. His 168 win8 is actually difficult to achieve. I generally get over 200 with 0 damage in a game. The one person that did help on team was also the top wn8. I would say even if the tier 10s on each side were balanced but the players the same the result of who won unlikely to have changed based on number of wn8s over 1800 on other team.
The WN8 formula is only loosely correlated with the XP formula. WN8 importantly also compares your performance to the "expected" values in the tank you are driving where expected values are approximately equal to the average performance in that tank based on the battle results uploaded to vBAddict. So even if you are doing damage in, say, the E75, if it's way below the expected damage value (1604.99) your WN8 is going to be very low in for that tank.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5659 on: September 18, 2015, 03:48:14 PM

If I'm top tier in an E75, I feel like doing less than 3k damage is a failure.  That tank is a beast.

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5660 on: September 19, 2015, 02:59:48 PM

NA consumables on sale through the weekend. Camo, emblems, and inscriptions also are on sale.

For some reason we didn't get the consumable sale during the Anniversary sale that the other regions got but they are on sale now.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5661 on: September 19, 2015, 06:54:22 PM

I knew about camo, but didn't notice the consumables. Time to buy another couple of hundred repair kits.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5662 on: September 19, 2015, 08:14:02 PM

Bleh, and here I am, trying to save up for the E75...

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
WayAbvPar

Reply #5663 on: September 29, 2015, 09:53:42 AM

Nebu- this is why Furiously and I were singing the praises of the O Ni Experimental last night (this just happened this morning)-

It is ri-goddamned-diculous. No chance it isn't getting nerfed. Get one while you can.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5664 on: September 29, 2015, 10:00:12 AM

Free XP past the Type 95 if you can, though -- horrible tank.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5665 on: September 29, 2015, 10:27:34 AM

Nebu- this is why Furiously and I were singing the praises of the O Ni Experimental last night (this just happened this morning)-

It is ri-goddamned-diculous. No chance it isn't getting nerfed. Get one while you can.

Holy crap... it's like a slowly moving box of death.

Great game by the way.

-  Mark Twain
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5666 on: September 29, 2015, 10:33:52 AM

Holy crap... it's like a slowly moving box of death.

Great game by the way.

Actually, the O I Experimental is fairly quick for a heavy with a top speed of 40 km/h.  The rest of the line are all much slower.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5667 on: September 29, 2015, 12:29:17 PM

Actually, the O I Experimental is fairly quick for a heavy with a top speed of 40 km/h.  The rest of the line are all much slower.

Ok... that's just plain broken. Where do you shoot them?

-  Mark Twain
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5668 on: September 29, 2015, 12:40:12 PM

From the front just shoot at anything that's above the UFG that's perpendicular to you.

http://wotguru.com/weak-spot-guide-o-i-experimental/
WayAbvPar

Reply #5669 on: September 29, 2015, 12:50:54 PM

They bounce almost nothing, but they shit out so much damage that no one can sit still and trade with them.

Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: