Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 08:28:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1117087 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #5495 on: July 29, 2015, 08:21:33 AM

3700 damage is no joke when you do it 150 at a time, jesus.

They should have given it pref matchmaking, then it would be the heavy equivalent of the E-25.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5496 on: July 29, 2015, 08:44:45 AM

Map: Westfield
 FV201 (A45)
 2,890    100,117 
 Battle achievements High Caliber, Confederate, Steel Wall, Defender, Bruno's Medal, Spartan, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

That's insane.  You're a beast in that thing.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5497 on: July 29, 2015, 04:46:48 PM

Game set up pretty good for me, but I did pull a total spidey sense and disengage from the main heavy battle on the hill and head to cap, got to the downslope just as 3 jumped on there and then charged in to reset with 2 seconds left.

Finished it up last night. Took 182 battles to get the 200/200. Kills were much easier to get than the XP.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5498 on: August 02, 2015, 05:45:28 PM

You know you've played too much World of Tanks when...

...you see a guy backing out of a parking space at a slight angle and your first thought is he's trying to sidescrape.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #5499 on: August 02, 2015, 10:14:39 PM

Sidescrape?

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5500 on: August 03, 2015, 12:19:06 AM

Clearly you haven't played too much World of Tanks yet awesome, for real

Sidescraping pictures and a video

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5501 on: August 03, 2015, 12:27:48 AM

Basically your tanks armour is "stronger" when its at an angle as it makes it more likely enemy shells will bounce off of it. So sidescraping is just showing your side armopur at an extreme angle so shots will bouce.

Hic sunt dracones.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #5502 on: August 03, 2015, 01:21:30 AM

Just downloaded this as I love World of Warships. What's the best way to work out what's what? Logged in, looked at all the differences to WoW and was instantly confused :D

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #5503 on: August 03, 2015, 03:44:04 AM

Wow... the original was incredible out of date, I never realized PotbS was still around...

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5504 on: August 03, 2015, 09:13:25 AM

Just downloaded this as I love World of Warships. What's the best way to work out what's what? Logged in, looked at all the differences to WoW and was instantly confused :D
I will write up what I've found useful while learning to play when I get back from work tonight so I'll probably have something posted around 9pm Pacific Time. In the meantime, given that the game has a horrible tutorial and there's no co-op mode vs bots like World of Warships has you might as well just jump in and start playing. At Tier I most of the people you will be playing with and against will be hapless newbies as well so it's not like you'll be dragging your team down.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5505 on: August 03, 2015, 09:36:00 AM

Things to remember as a new player-

1) Save your hit points. You can't do anything when you are dead. You will learn when it is proper to use them in time.

2) Do not hide too far in the back. This does save your hit points, but also prevents you from doing any damage. Damage and kills are where the majority of your XP comes from.

3) Feel free to be awful in the early tiers. Don't rush to play higher tiers before you know what the hell you are doing, though. Elite every tank before you go to the next.

4) Pay attention to, and learn, the maps. Each map has hotspots, and advantageous locations. Also keep an eye on the mini-map in game to see the flow of the battle.

5) Install XVM, and follow players who are green/blue/purple. You will learn a lot. Odem Mortis has a whole modpack with all sorts of seemingly arcane options- you can download the installer here. Must haves are XVM (you can try different configs to see which you like), and a crosshair mod (I like J1mbo's). Once you get a feel for the game, you will understand what more of the mods do and will have a better idea which you may want to try.

6) Stay away from French tanks until you know the game better. I would suggest American heavies (tech line ends with T110E5), Russian heavies (line that ends with IS-7), and Russian mediums (line that ends with Object 140 and T-62A) to start. They have the least duds in the line overall, and are reasonably simple to learn the basics. If you want to try TDs, the American tier 2 T-18 is ridiculous.

7) After you have played 50 games or so, come back and read this thread from the beginning. There is a lot of wisdom here, and you will start to understand some of what is being said.

8) SomethingAwful has a really good tank thread here, and Reddit has a huge WoT community as well. Places like WotLabs and vbaddict also have tons of info.

9) Play, have fun, and come here and ask questions. If we don't know, we are happy to make up an answer that sounds good  awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5506 on: August 03, 2015, 09:48:14 AM

So much fun at T7 though. First ever Bruno's Medal (kill 3-4 tanks after losing 80 percent health and 5 modules or crew).

Map: Westfield
 FV201 (A45)
 2,890    100,117 
 Battle achievements High Caliber, Confederate, Steel Wall, Defender, Bruno's Medal, Spartan, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Is it possible to have a game like this in World of Warships? My experience in WoWS is you could lightly carry a team but was impossible to ever really have a great game. As a result I will never get the excitement out of WoWS.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #5507 on: August 03, 2015, 11:02:51 AM

I had a six kill game in my Omaha, and lived. So ya, you can, but WoWS doesn't have quite as many variables in play so your medal count is reduced.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5508 on: August 03, 2015, 01:02:22 PM

Played for the first time in 7 months yesterday. I shouldn't do that, nothing but rage and die rage and die.

Wasn't even worth it for the kill of a T7 heavy with my AT-15 after he tried to back me in a corner.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #5509 on: August 03, 2015, 01:44:59 PM

Things to remember as a new player

Cheers - giving it a shot tonight. No co-op to learn in seems weird

Thanks for the advice.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #5510 on: August 03, 2015, 03:07:22 PM

Haven't played in forever. Decided to give it a go on the XBone since it just came out there. Between not playing in so long and trying to drive using thumbsticks I'm now kind of bad at this. Having a surprising amount of fun though and may stick with it for a bit. Really like that gold rounds are only bought with gold on the XBone and the way the tanks drive, while kind of wonky compared to the PC, are fun.

Edit: Some interesting differences on the XBox. Platoons can be up to 5 people it looks like and they have AI battles.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:13:59 PM by veredus »
WayAbvPar

Reply #5511 on: August 03, 2015, 04:00:02 PM

So, I think I am going to like the Object 416...

Just wait until I get the real gun for it!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5512 on: August 03, 2015, 08:56:44 PM

I will write up what I've found useful while learning to play when I get back from work tonight so I'll probably have something posted around 9pm Pacific Time. In the meantime, given that the game has a horrible tutorial and there's no co-op mode vs bots like World of Warships has you might as well just jump in and start playing. At Tier I most of the people you will be playing with and against will be hapless newbies as well so it's not like you'll be dragging your team down.
I have to do some late night work tonight plus TI5 is on awesome, for real so I'm not going to be able to do a real writeup right now but my #1 rule for World of Tanks newbies is:

#1 Don't assume that just cause you don't see any tanks that nothing can see you. Watch this video starting at around 3:18*. World of Warships has somewhat similar spotting mechanics but I found that you only occasionally get hit by stuff you can't see in World of Warships while it happens all the fricking time in World of Tanks.

*  The first part is useful too though not as appliciable at Tier I since Tier I tanks generally don't have enough armor take advantage of angling. It is critical for later tiers.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5513 on: August 03, 2015, 09:38:52 PM

Heh, yeah, scouting has been ruined in the game by Wargaming stripping the bushes away from the maps to try and get people to stop hiding in bushes with 100% camo crews and all the camo gold can buy, but it's still a race of people engaging in honorable combat where the other guy cant shoot back.

Hic sunt dracones.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5514 on: August 08, 2015, 12:07:13 AM

Woohoo just got my first Top Gun medal, in bottom tier Tier IV - VI match up no less.

I didn't do the most damage or get the most XP so I can't really say I carried the game though at the end it was down to me and 2 arty vs. the Alecto and the M8A1 so if I didn't get them it would've been up to the artys to derp the remaining one or two tanks.

Since I was bottom tier I decided to camp near our cap covering the west side which is relatively open and sniped 3 kills that way plus I got the AT 2 far enough down for one of our arty to finish him off. By that time the remnants of our team managed to push through the town and I headed towards their cap to try and meet up with them. I managed to get the Pz. III near the middle that was charging towards our cap thanks to the good traverse speed on the Marder 38T, and then finished off the Alecto and M8A1 that were one-shots each at their cap because of our Excelsior that YOLO'd in to their cap without waiting for me or hanging back to let our arty do some work.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5515 on: August 08, 2015, 07:50:36 AM

1-9

10. Play with Way often.  Watch and enjoy how he interacts with 'new players' over chat. 

Some of my most memorable moments in WoT were things that Way said to other players during games. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #5516 on: August 09, 2015, 09:10:34 PM

Sooooooo.

Soes anyone know anything about the Japanese Heavy line, specifically where it's going to split from? For once I'd like to have enough XP on that tank ahead of time. Problem being some of the Japanese mediums are really painful to play. And by some, I mean all of them between tier III and the STB.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #5517 on: August 09, 2015, 09:11:04 PM

1-9

10. Play with Way often.  Watch and enjoy how he interacts with 'new players' over chat. 

Some of my most memorable moments in WoT were things that Way said to other players during games. 

And he'll teach you to swear like a sailor which is useful in world of warships.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5518 on: August 09, 2015, 09:24:32 PM

Sooooooo.

Soes anyone know anything about the Japanese Heavy line, specifically where it's going to split from? For once I'd like to have enough XP on that tank ahead of time. Problem being some of the Japanese mediums are really painful to play. And by some, I mean all of them between tier III and the STB.
It's a full line so it'll branch from Tier I -- i.e. Tier II - Tier X are all new tanks (some are Mediums) on the same line.

List in full description section: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh2K3puZPc0
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5519 on: August 10, 2015, 04:14:09 AM

I AM thinkjing of buying the Jap Ter 6 Tiger prem to train up some crews on it.

Hic sunt dracones.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #5520 on: August 10, 2015, 07:41:23 AM

Sooooooo.

It's a full line so it'll branch from Tier I -- i.e. Tier II - Tier X are all new tanks (some are Mediums) on the same line.

Awesome, thanks for the information. Those are some giant, boxy tanks. The Maus looks graceful by comparison.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5521 on: August 11, 2015, 12:25:58 AM

Sooooooo.

Awesome, thanks for the information. Those are some giant, boxy tanks. The Maus looks graceful by comparison.

The Japanese weren't exactly known for having great tanks.  The Shermans outclassed them in every way and the Japanese military didn't produce very many due to the emphasis on naval warfare and allocated resources accordingly.  They simply didn't have enough experience with land based military vehicles to produce anything of note.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5522 on: August 11, 2015, 11:08:54 AM

So you are saying the Japanese designers were pubbies?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5523 on: August 11, 2015, 12:05:50 PM

They failed to steal designs from the Chinese.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WayAbvPar

Reply #5524 on: August 11, 2015, 12:12:03 PM

Judging from the Chinese tanks, there are not any hills in China or anywhere else they planned to use their tanks.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5525 on: August 12, 2015, 11:21:19 AM

Free tank if you log in within the next 7 days (till next Wednesday).

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/22/wot-5th/
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #5526 on: August 12, 2015, 12:12:20 PM

Starts Wednesday, August 12, 04:20

Wooooooooo! 420blazeit!

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5527 on: August 13, 2015, 04:17:19 AM

Free tank if you log in within the next 7 days (till next Wednesday).

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/22/wot-5th/

Correction, you have to log in and play one battle. Oh gods the effort....

Hic sunt dracones.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5528 on: August 13, 2015, 08:14:48 AM

Really? It showed up in my garage immediately after logging in.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #5529 on: August 13, 2015, 08:57:32 AM

Yeah, mine too.

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: