Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 11:56:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1117279 times)
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #3640 on: July 02, 2013, 11:52:47 PM

Yeah, I said that there had to be something like that going on in this same thread months ago. It's not necessarily a bad thing though. It seems like more of a crude handicapping device than a way of oppressing everyone into a 49/49/2 win/loss/draw ratio. I'd like to think it will finally mean the end of people shit talking a win rates, but it wont.

Anyway, the new mission system is nice. The "Hat Trick" mission they have going on is like a credit pinata. I've been netting 100,000+ credits all day with my tier 8 premiums. I may finally be able to afford catching back up on what I have researched after tommorrow.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 11:57:51 PM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #3641 on: July 02, 2013, 11:59:24 PM

No, its not.  It's been obvious to me since I started playing the game that when I had a run of bad luck the game presented me with "easier" situations, and visa versa.

You can observe it in action using xvm where you can follow players stats.
I'm also 96% sure that there is some hidden arty dice roll before the match which will decide either You pinpoint every shoot or miss by 100 miles.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #3642 on: July 03, 2013, 05:44:05 AM

I'd like to think it will finally mean the end of people shit talking a win rates, but it wont.

Don't start that again  ACK!

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #3643 on: July 03, 2013, 08:38:02 AM

Don't start that again  ACK!

There's nothing to start. If the MM is designed to adjust itself and intentionally put players in matches that have the effect of maintaining a certain win rate, the idea that win rate is a valid measure of player skill is completely invalid unless that player has only played clan matches on their account starting with tier 1. That's pretty much the end of it.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3644 on: July 03, 2013, 08:42:01 AM

There's nothing to start. If the MM is designed to adjust itself and intentionally put players in matches that have the effect of maintaining a certain win rate, the idea that win rate is a valid measure of player skill is completely invalid unless that player has only played clan matches on their account starting with tier 1. That's pretty much the end of it.

Please explain my stats then: Link to noobmeter here.

Scroll down and look at the graphs.  As I've improved over the past 6 months, you see a linear increase in efficiency, WN7, and win rate.  

Improving my play has changed my win rate from 45.6% to 51%.  I strongly believe that win rate is the best way to determine my own ability to affect match outcomes in game. My win rate over the past 60 days is near 57%.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 08:45:07 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #3645 on: July 03, 2013, 09:24:48 AM

Do you platoon or do clan battles? You could be improving faster than matchmaker can adjust for. Also, if you mainly play tier 9+ heavies there's only so much matchmaker can do to handicap you.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3646 on: July 03, 2013, 09:32:54 AM

If you look at my stats you will see that I'm not in a clan.  I've also never done tank companies.  I've only played random battles. You'll also see that the average tier on my account is 5.9 and that I've been playing mostly tier 6-8 (average tier recently is ~7). I platoon on occasion, but never with more than one person and he's of equal skill to me.

Keep in mind that there is only one constant in every battle: You.  The more that you do, the better your chances of affecting the outcome.  My 60 day stats say that I can affect the outcome of 1 match for every 20 that I play.  The key is to stay alive and use your health wisely.  If you're consistently one of the 5 remaining players on your team in a close match, you'll begin to see how often you can turn a loss into a win.  

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3647 on: July 03, 2013, 10:21:04 AM

Scroll down and look at the graphs.  As I've improved over the past 6 months, you see a linear increase in efficiency, WN7, and win rate.  

Improving my play has changed my win rate from 45.6% to 51%.  I strongly believe that win rate is the best way to determine my own ability to affect match outcomes in game. My win rate over the past 60 days is near 57%.

IT HAS BEEN UNLEASHED!!!

Hic sunt dracones.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3648 on: July 03, 2013, 10:23:44 AM

-  Mark Twain
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #3649 on: July 03, 2013, 12:22:21 PM

There's nothing to start.If the MM is designed to adjust itself and intentionally put players in matches that have the effect of maintaining a certain win rate, the idea that win rate is a valid measure of player skill is completely invalid unless that player has only played clan matches on their account starting with tier 1. That's pretty much the end of it.

Big if there.

I did notice the last time I played solo for long periods (six months ago) I would go on massive losing streaks and would get shitty teams not randomly during the day but for a whole day til I would just sign off cause I was getting screwed by the MM.

During closed beta I had a similar experience to Nebu I started off with a win% of around 47 and after improving my play I managed to get up to around 56. This was over a few thousand solo games, that's all you could do beta anyway. My maths were always saying you had (1/30*(your-tier/average-tier)) responsibilty towards a win. So playing tier 10 you could show a 4.6% differential either side of 50%, this would be then some more on top for using gold rounds or overpowered tanks. So maybe by manipulating the factors you could get up to 60% win rate solo. The proof of theory for this is that I have never once seen a botter of afker with a win% over 45%, not once.

I always felt the MM should make every game even using win% to balance the sides. So you nearly always get in good close fought matches. This was something I raised in Closed Beta and if WG are indeed doing what Z says then they are doing it wrong in my opinion.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
WayAbvPar

Reply #3650 on: July 03, 2013, 06:33:29 PM

Wow- July 4th weekend bonuses might just get me to reinstall. Lots of goodies.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3651 on: July 03, 2013, 06:37:41 PM

Don't do it.  It's a 5x weekend you'll do nothing but rage unless you platoon every fight.

ed: Not to mention the recent changes making even Russians able to snipe AND the fucking "hat trick" promo bringing out lots of lopsided matches. 

20% win rate tonight.  1/4 to 1/2 my team dead in the first 2 mins of each match, it's just rage-inducing. 

My win-rate has plummeted, to this level since the patch, bringing my over-all down quite a lot. Sorry but 15 v 7 you just can't come back from with random players, so fuck this game for a while.  I wouldn't even consider returning if I hadn't invested in premium tanks.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 08:23:08 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #3652 on: July 03, 2013, 08:21:35 PM

I suspected their might be something like that, giving you softer matches if you've been getting hammered, and I think it's a great idea. Neither the player nor the company want a solid evening of losses.

And people who care / brag about K/D ratio in a team game... lol.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3653 on: July 03, 2013, 09:41:09 PM

Don't do it.  It's a 5x weekend you'll do nothing but rage unless you platoon every fight.

ed: Not to mention the recent changes making even Russians able to snipe AND the fucking "hat trick" promo bringing out lots of lopsided matches.  

20% win rate tonight.  1/4 to 1/2 my team dead in the first 2 mins of each match, it's just rage-inducing.  

My win-rate has plummeted, to this level since the patch, bringing my over-all down quite a lot. Sorry but 15 v 7 you just can't come back from with random players, so fuck this game for a while.  I wouldn't even consider returning if I hadn't invested in premium tanks.

Same here.  The past week or so I've lost quite a bit.  Still doing decent damage and destroying targets but holy crap.  Some of it has been my fault but I've been on some real shit teams.  I've had 5 or 6 games playing a slower tank where we were already down 0-5 or 0-6 before I could even get into the fight. Facepalm  I'm a decent player, with a 53% win rate and over 2000 more vehicles destroyed than I have games played, but theres no way to overcome that amount of suck.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:44:19 PM by Ginaz »
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #3654 on: July 04, 2013, 02:24:15 AM

I suspected their might be something like that, giving you softer matches if you've been getting hammered, and I think it's a great idea. Neither the player nor the company want a solid evening of losses.

Its a terrible idea, it implies every game being a steamroller for one side or the other.  You will rarely get to see matches which go the wire.  Where's  the fun in that?

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3655 on: July 04, 2013, 07:04:22 AM

Its a terrible idea, it implies every game being a steamroller for one side or the other.  You will rarely get to see matches which go the wire.  Where's  the fun in that?

Thats how it mostly is now.  You get the odd game thats close with the rest being curb stomps, one way or the other.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3656 on: July 04, 2013, 07:56:51 AM

Kinda the reason I just play the odd game of this rather than play it constantly.

Hic sunt dracones.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #3657 on: July 04, 2013, 03:11:15 PM

All PUG team games with no respawn are like that, Mechwarrior online as well. The team that builds up momentum and concentration of fire will tend to roll the other. And after the first couple of kills it cascades.

Dropping one player's matchmaker rating temporarily, by some amount, after they've spent time getting hammered isn't going to make the lower ranked match a walkover. One player doesn't have that much influence. It might well keep them a customer though.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #3658 on: July 04, 2013, 07:07:58 PM

That's a very simplistic narrow view of these games, sure there a lot of games that play like that but plenty that don't. I've seen so many pubbie teams who just can't eke out a win from a superior position.

Example from a game earlier, shouldn't really have won this match. They gave me far too much time to control the field and I'm really rusty atm.

http://wotreplays.com/site/243299#steppes-blindside-bat_chatillon_25_t

I'm liking the new Xp for tracking a player, I never thought they would implement this.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3659 on: July 05, 2013, 12:35:52 PM

Fun convo today. El Haluf encounter battle. A T21 from the enemy zips into the circle and hides behind the rock. He gets splatted by our arty. Then a T11E5 on OUR side starts saying in team

"WTF???"

"I was hiding behind a rock! How did the Arty kill me?"

Dumnass cheater ahoy!!

Hic sunt dracones.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3660 on: July 05, 2013, 12:43:02 PM

Fun convo today. El Haluf encounter battle. A T21 from the enemy zips into the circle and hides behind the rock. He gets splatted by our arty. Then a T11E5 on OUR side starts saying in team

"WTF???"

"I was hiding behind a rock! How did the Arty kill me?"

Dumnass cheater ahoy!!

After destroying him, I had a T110E5 accuse me of using gold rounds (who cares anyway?) in my T-54.  Ah, no, I hit the huge cupola on his turret, a major weak spot, 3 times from about 20m away.  I love it when people accuse me of cheating or using gold rounds when I'm not. Heart
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3661 on: July 15, 2013, 12:00:36 PM

Hey, how do you use that new WoTreplays site if you have a NA account? I keep getting directed to a .eu site, and my credentials are not being accepted.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #3662 on: July 15, 2013, 04:33:26 PM

I had that problem earlier, I'm actually in Europe but I play on NA server. Anyhow you need to go the worldoftanks site and change your region. Click the earth icon, top left, and choose NA. Then go back to wotreplays and see if it's seeing your account.

Strazos

Reply #3663 on: July 16, 2013, 12:34:44 PM

Bleh, every time I go to log in it wants EU credentials, but when I switch it to request NA credentials, it just gives me account management.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #3664 on: July 16, 2013, 01:39:17 PM

If you change your region will you be able to buy their server only tanks like the M6 premium? I also can't seem to find which tab this region selection is on.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3665 on: July 17, 2013, 12:32:12 AM

If you change your region will you be able to buy their server only tanks like the M6 premium? I also can't seem to find which tab this region selection is on.

You have to download the region client to actually be able to play. Also, you can't use your US account to play in the EU and vice versa. So if you switch servers you have to start from scratch. Been there, done that, talked to their support, won't change.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #3666 on: July 17, 2013, 04:06:36 AM

Bleh, every time I go to log in it wants EU credentials, but when I switch it to request NA credentials, it just gives me account management.  Ohhhhh, I see.

It should store a cookie and send you to NA server next time you open the WotReplay site.

Strazos

Reply #3667 on: July 17, 2013, 01:13:40 PM

Negative - I guess someone doesn't want me to share games I am particularly proud of.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3668 on: July 18, 2013, 08:22:23 AM

Is it my imagination or are people getting worse at this game?  In the past 5 or 6 games in my T110E4 TD, I've done over 5k damage yet have only 1 win.  This has been happening much more frequently where I do pretty well individually only to be placed on fail team after fail team.  I've been averaging almost 1600 damage in 182 games the past 2 weeks across all my tanks yet my win rate has been going down. Argh!

FYI anyone that is looking at getting a premium tank should really think about getting the 8.8 cm Jagdtiger.  That thing is borderline OP for its tier.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3669 on: July 18, 2013, 08:25:07 AM

The change in the economy and decrease in the number of SPG's per match has brought more people to tier 9 and 10.  If you use XVM, you'll see a lot more 40-46% WR folks playing those tiers that raced their way to the endgame with little regard for tactics or map knowledge. 

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3670 on: July 18, 2013, 10:27:28 AM

That, plus, as morons in-game like to put it "All the derps have moved to tanks now that point and click (arty) is nerfed."

Because evidently arty takes no skill.  awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #3671 on: July 19, 2013, 01:00:05 AM

In addition to what was already mentioned the mission for the last 4 days encouraged everyone to play the biggest damage dealers they had. 45,000 credits for every 10k in damage you caused - that's 3-4 games at tier ten for a shitty player. The game is also getting old enough for anyone to have at least one tier 10 just by playing the double each day. It's what I've done and all the lines are either 10 or 9.5 for me now. I even started after a lot of people, but once I get the daily double in a tank I just move on to the next and don't play it again until the next day. Anyway, I guess my point there is that even truly terrible players are coming into tier 10 now naturally and it's going to make the high tier games a lot more random as more and more come in. Which is a good thing because it makes elitists butthurt.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #3672 on: July 19, 2013, 07:21:54 AM

In addition to what was already mentioned the mission for the last 4 days encouraged everyone to play the biggest damage dealers they had. 45,000 credits for every 10k in damage you caused

Explains why my T57 made 147k on a loss yesterday Ohhhhh, I see.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3673 on: July 19, 2013, 04:12:16 PM

Wooooo, m-60!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3674 on: July 19, 2013, 04:53:03 PM

So...I had a pretty good game today on my 8.8cm Jadgtiger. Yahoo!  I was on yet another team that looked like it was doomed to failure and were down 8-2.  Thanks to my meager skills and the OP nature of my tank, I was able to kill 6 of those 8 (I had 9 kills in total) and win the game for our team.  It was myself and a KV-1S vs a T29, a T34, a T69, an SU-122-44, an IS, a KV-1S, a Jackson and a Church GC.  Needless to say, I didn't hold out much hope for a win but afterwards I was pretty fucking pumped.  I played the game before I went to work in the morning and it kind of gave me a bit of energy when I went to to work.  Weird but it did.  Anyway, just thought I'd flex my epeen here a bit. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 04:55:35 PM by Ginaz »
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: