Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:17:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1104642 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3605 on: June 04, 2013, 05:46:13 AM

So my question is what's a p2win item? The only things that were *ever* demonstrably P2Win were rounds.  Consumables didn't give enough of an edge and premium tanks are certainly *not* P2Win.   

So in all, it's a nonsense, feel-good, "come back and play" statement.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #3606 on: June 04, 2013, 09:24:32 AM

Yeah, not enough details in anything I have read to say what really changed. Sounds like all the gold I have on my account is going to be worth less now, however. Awesome.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3607 on: June 04, 2013, 10:47:19 PM

So my question is what's a p2win item? The only things that were *ever* demonstrably P2Win were rounds.  Consumables didn't give enough of an edge and premium tanks are certainly *not* P2Win.   

So in all, it's a nonsense, feel-good, "come back and play" statement.

Not really.  They have made every advantage you could get using gold (rounds, cammo, consumables) now available for credits (they note that this process has been ongoing for a while, so it isn't something new they just did). The only thing gold gives you at this point is saved time which doesn't affect your ability to win from match to match. It is actually pretty ballsy move and I think it is pretty cool.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3608 on: June 05, 2013, 10:57:51 AM

Ok... I need help.

After 8000 matches I finally broke down and bought my first tier 9 (M103).  I've upgraded the gun and the tracks, but HATE HATE HATE playing this thing.  Tier 11 matches are arty camp fests.  If I even try to get myself in a position to shoot, I'm one-shot by SPG's or instagibbed by return fire + splash damage. 

It's not fun.  At ALL. 

Any suggestions?  Ok... beyond not playing the tier 9.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3609 on: June 05, 2013, 03:13:35 PM

Well your first problem is you're playing a totally different game because there are no Tier 11 in the WoT I play.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Kidding aside, always make note of how many arty are in a match and adjust. Stop being so impatient (this is also my problem)  Splash damage rarely hurts my 103 so I don't know what's hitting you, but if you're getting oneshot you're WAY out of position and someone else is spotting you. Probably one of those goddamn lights.

You are not a German Maus, you're an American. Strong top turret, squishy sides and rear.  Protect that hull with someone's corpse and stay with the bigger tanks.  You've got decent pen, excellent accuracy and decent ROF so you can play sniper or offer support. 

Never be exposed when reloading and DO NOT pop out before the shell is loaded.  If you're 'popping out' you're in brawl distance, not sniping so no, it doesn't matter if you're sure you can pop out and fire right as your firing circle resolves. You're exposed too long in a brawl.

When you're top-tank in a T9 match, don't be caught alone.  You're the guy who has to push but you can not carry an entire flank in the M103. If you're abandoned or only have a few tier 5 and 6 lights, pull back.  Let the flank collapse because all you'll be doing charging in alone is feeding the enemy a kill. If you feel necessary to play a hero like that, find a sniping spot near the flag and defend there.

Look up some of the maps detailing where you should be sitting to be arty safe. These work for all tanks, not just the M103.  Each map has a limited number of spots but this is 2nd nature to many folks by now.   

If there's more than 3 arty in a match hide and don't worry about trying to damage anyone for the first 4 mins.  Let them come to you and take opportunity shots but don't push up trying to take them.  After 4 mins the impatient on both sides will die off and you'll have some lanes open or one team will be coordinated enough to push without stopping and overrun the other enough that it's all over by then.   

If there's 5 arty in a match you're fucked. Push and go play a different match, because 5 arty matches are never fun for anyone but arty, IMO. They turn in to total blowouts for one side or the other based on who has the better Arty players & equipment.

Not all arty is created equal. M41 or Priest? Pft.. fast but inaccurate fire on the priest and the M41 doesn't have shit for splash damage.  GWpanther or Tiger? You're dead, stay under cover.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3610 on: June 05, 2013, 06:00:58 PM

Matchmaking classifies battles up to Tier 13.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3611 on: June 05, 2013, 10:21:11 PM

I really disliked the M103. It's just as squishy as a medium.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3612 on: June 05, 2013, 11:56:49 PM

So did I, but the next tank in the line makes it worth the grind imo.
Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3613 on: June 06, 2013, 08:11:18 AM

So did I, but the next tank in the line makes it worth the grind imo.

The M103 is great tank, just not a classic heavy.  As mentioned by someone else, the gun is just fantastic.  Really high pen for a Tier 9, good accuracy, and good ROF.  The front armor on the turret will produce some great bounces, just don't sit still if the enemy is aiming at you.  The "cheeks" and the commander's hatch/cupola is a common weak point, but if you are rocking the tank (and facing the enemy) you'll produce bounces.  The upper glacis is rounded and will also produce random bounces, but don't count on your hull armor for anything except for troll bounces. 

The M103 is a great tank for 2nd line, but as close in support in Tier X matches; but ultimately cannot LEAD a charge, even in a match where you are the top tank.  If you are forced too lead a charge, you often times have to trade HP for space, to get yourself in a hull-down position which is a loosing game if you cannot eliminate your enemy quickly.  Your speed and your gun are an incredible combination.  Use those two assets to reach an enemies flanks and bully Tier 8 mediums. 

Lastly, because of your gun you will be a priority target for many enemies that know what your tank can do.  Artillery will be much more effective against your tank with direct hits now, much greater than you are used too.  The M103 and the next tank the E5 both suffer much more heavily from direct hits from Artillery than their predecessors; partly due to Artillery getting bigger and hitting harder, but also due to the rear engine deck being less covered by the turret and the armor on the top of the tank being thinned to increase the speed of the tank. 

I use this guy's website quite a bit.  http://wotguru.com/
He's pretty easy to follow. 

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3614 on: June 06, 2013, 10:48:28 AM

I guess my question is more this:  How do you avoid SPG fire in slow heavies (particularly in tier 11 & 12 matches) while still maintaining a significant damage output?

If I stay arty safe, I struggle to do more than 3k damage.  If I play assertively, my lack of mobility makes me a prime SPG target. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #3615 on: June 06, 2013, 12:12:25 PM

Learn the arty safe spots (trial and error or look them up) then get to the safe spots ASAP and be patient. Wait for your scouts to spot/take out arty and/or let the enemy come to you.

Edit: Also doing 3k damage a round isn't bad, in fact if you average that much, that's really good. With the M103 top end gun that's 7-8 penetrating hits.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:17:36 PM by veredus »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3616 on: June 06, 2013, 12:29:37 PM

Edit: Also doing 3k damage a round isn't bad, in fact if you average that much, that's really good. With the M103 top end gun that's 7-8 penetrating hits.

I realize that and I don't ever expect to average 3k.  I'm just finding it much harder to have a 3k game in 5 arty a side, tier 11 matches than in tier 8-10 where 1-2 arty a team is more common.

The scenario: I peek out for a snapshot and try to hide.  6th sense goes off and I'm either dead if I've already used a repair kit (with the MONSTER 103 turret, I usually blow it on the first hit when I get racked) or I'm tracked by splash and killed by a second or third arty shell. 

It's infuriating.

-  Mark Twain
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #3617 on: June 06, 2013, 12:54:10 PM

Sorry, misunderstood you on the damage thing. If you're out of cover long enough for your sixth sense to go off you're out for way to long.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3618 on: June 06, 2013, 06:30:41 PM

I use terrain to get as arty safe as possible in heavies more than houses. Even if you aren't completely covered if you can make it a thin shot a lot of times arty will bypass you for an easier shot. Particularly with american heavies you can use hills to be semi-hull down pop up and shoot and go back fast enough that arty has a hard time.

It's also just part of being a heavy. You are slow and a big target. Just don't sit still a lot if you can help it.

-H.L. Mencken
Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3619 on: June 07, 2013, 07:58:54 AM

Yeah, I misunderstood as well. 

In a 5 arty match it's really tough to be effective.  People have said it a couple of times, but you're often forced into a slow start with that much arty around.  I find in those matches that being unpredictable in my movements, to the point that I will take actions that would normally be very dangerous, will save me from an arty shell.  Instead of trying to peek out of cover take a shot and rush back into that same cover, I'll peek out take my shot, then try to move out to a different cover location; in an effort to deny the artillery a chance to pre-aim at my previous location.  I also try to move towards the enemy artillery when I can. 

But overall, those matches suck ass.  When a third of the team is raining shells from the sky, it often times makes for an unfun experience. 

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3620 on: June 07, 2013, 08:13:03 AM

When a third of the team is raining shells from the sky, it often times ALWAYS makes for an unfun experience.  

I agree.  Saw this example on the forums.  See if you can spot the  ACK!

On a side note, the level of ability seems to be creeping down.  I played something like 40 matches yesterday between tier 5 - 9 and averaged over 1500 damage per match.  It still wasn't enough to carry a 50% WR for the day.  The way some of these people play makes me weep for humanity.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:16:35 AM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #3621 on: June 07, 2013, 01:07:25 PM

I honestly have very few problems playing in games with lots of artillery. Sit tight early, let your arty do some counterbattery + give the lights times to work their way forward, then wipe the map clean. High tier arty can only fire once every 45 seconds or so; if they are A) avoiding CBs and B) running from scouts, they have no time for your lumbering ass. And staying arty safe is really not hard.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #3622 on: June 28, 2013, 07:01:15 AM

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3623 on: June 29, 2013, 12:04:00 PM

Some guy from Havok just got over 8900 damage in the last game I was in playing a Foch 155. ACK!
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #3624 on: June 29, 2013, 12:09:14 PM

Some guy from Havok just got over 8900 damage in the last game I was in playing a Foch 155. ACK!

The rest of the team and opponents had to been bunch of idiots.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3625 on: June 29, 2013, 12:13:28 PM

Probably. Ohhhhh, I see.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3626 on: June 29, 2013, 12:21:03 PM

No shortage of that this weekend. Ugh.

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3627 on: June 29, 2013, 12:40:27 PM

First weekend after a patch, lots of changes AND 3x xp.  Only thing that could make it worse is 5x

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3628 on: June 29, 2013, 01:05:44 PM

I am liking the reduced number of arty being played.  I haven't had this much fun in quite awhile.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #3629 on: June 29, 2013, 02:18:41 PM

I am liking the reduced number of arty being played.  I haven't had this much fun in quite awhile.

It was way too big of a nerf and the very few times that you can aim long enough for the reticle to finish shrinking artillery is no more accurate than before. Also, with next to no artillery playing, it's time to redo the MM for scouts.

People seem to be bitching about tank destroyers now,especially the tier 8+ french stuff. Expect them to become the new OP scapegoat. Players have already gotten very sloppy cover-wise since the patch and that made a lot of really easy TD targets.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3630 on: June 29, 2013, 02:29:12 PM

It was way too big of a nerf and the very few times that you can aim long enough for the reticle to finish shrinking artillery is no more accurate than before. Also, with next to no artillery playing, it's time to redo the MM for scouts.

People seem to be bitching about tank destroyers now,especially the tier 8+ french stuff. Expect them to become the new OP scapegoat. Players have already gotten very sloppy cover-wise since the patch and that made a lot of really easy TD targets.

Disagree on both points.

1) Good players still dominate matches on SPG's.  They just have to be more selective in their shot choice.  The MM benefits SPG's in a HUGE way.

2) Accuracy buff made the margin for error very small, particularly against long range shooters.  That's why TD's are doing well. 

-  Mark Twain
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3631 on: June 29, 2013, 03:29:26 PM

I've seen a few arty doing over 3k damage, one was even over 6k.  Good arty players will still be good.  The whole arty system was high bullshit anyway.  Might as well be launching tomahawk missiles with the satellite God view they have.  As I said, the game has been much more fun for me this past week without as many arty per match.  Coupled with the tier 5 derp gun nerf, this is the best patch in ages.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3632 on: June 29, 2013, 07:47:35 PM

I see a cascade effect kicking in here.  If there is no arty then there really is no need for scouts.  And if heavies have nothing to fear from arty then why use easier to kill mediums?  Then tier ten matches end up with nothing but Maus' and few TDs sprinkled in.  That's when Wargaming knows they broke the game.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #3633 on: June 29, 2013, 08:45:10 PM

Never had a problem with arties. I stopped playing the game when every match was tier 7-8 mediums one shotting my tier 5 tanks with impunity as I slowly grinded cash for upgrades and exp for higher ranked crew  awesome, for real
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3634 on: June 30, 2013, 01:38:33 AM

Granted I've only really been in higher tier matches in a Lowe And a VK scout, but I never had a problem with arty either. I think I only died to a direct hit once. Its amazing how minor course change will throw off the arty aim. It helps that I actually olayed arty for a while I suppose.

Basicly people just seem to want a game with just Heavies wandering around.

Hic sunt dracones.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3635 on: June 30, 2013, 02:31:52 AM

I wonder why they can't make matches with a fixed (or a tolerance of 1 either way) number of classes, like max 2 arties, max 3 scouts, and then a bunch of even stuff in the middle. Do you think it would hurt PUGs and random matches?

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #3636 on: June 30, 2013, 04:34:09 AM

The matchmaker tries, but its priority is getting you in a game with 60 seconds, so for the most part you get stuck with whatever the playerbase thinks will grind them the most cash/xp or will one shot anything.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3637 on: July 02, 2013, 06:10:22 PM

In looking at the forums trying to figure out why I couldn't connect tonight I came across this:

http://wot-ro.blogspot.de/2013/05/wots-matchmaker-is-rigged-proof.html

TLDR: Wargaming filed patents on a dynamic MM that forces players in to the 45-52% win rate range by putting a thumb on the scales when creating matches.  Ever feel like you were doing really awesome then suddenly had clowns for a team? You weren't just being paranoid.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3638 on: July 02, 2013, 06:43:41 PM

Companies file patents for many things without any intention of using them.  It's difficult to know if that mechanism is in place or not.

-  Mark Twain
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3639 on: July 02, 2013, 08:05:48 PM

No, its not.  It's been obvious to me since I started playing the game that when I had a run of bad luck the game presented me with "easier" situations, and visa versa.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: