Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 08:01:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1104668 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3500 on: March 18, 2013, 03:40:05 PM

Six matches in a row where I do 1500-3500 damage in my Pershing.  Six losses.   One match in my Type 58 where I do 300 damage.  I win. 

Sometimes this game makes me rage. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #3501 on: March 18, 2013, 06:12:11 PM

Exactly why I haven't played it in a couple of weeks. It was making me way too angry. WT has been a good substitute, but even that pisses me off sometimes. My working theory is that I hate people and wish nothing but ill on a great majority of them.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3502 on: March 18, 2013, 09:34:53 PM

Exactly why I haven't played it in a couple of weeks. It was making me way too angry. WT has been a good substitute, but even that pisses me off sometimes. My working theory is that I hate people and wish nothing but ill on a great majority of them.

You are just now realizing this about yourself?? I could have told you that years ago.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #3503 on: March 27, 2013, 04:20:20 PM

I'm not sure if any of you build models or not, but here's something I didn't know. Several Dragon models I just bought off Ebay had a WoT promo card in it that had a code to set up a new account with 2000 gold plus a code for new and existing accounts that gives 1 week of premium time, 50,000 credits, 750 gold, and a cuteypie Locust (or it's value in gold if you already have one). I don't know any of the specifics about what kits have them or not. I've been hoarding kits for a decade now and wasn't ware of this, so I have a pretty big stockpile to go through and check.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #3504 on: April 01, 2013, 11:35:11 AM

Shame it's April 1st, this might actually be fun  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

http://worldoftanks.com/news/2175-zombies-will-swarm-battle/
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3505 on: April 01, 2013, 03:57:33 PM

They had "boing" and other silly noises in the Garage today as well

Hic sunt dracones.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3506 on: April 04, 2013, 11:37:47 AM

8.5 test server is up.  I don't think I'll be testing the Leopard Tier X medium any time soon.  I'm currently number 19,205 in the queue.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #3507 on: April 04, 2013, 04:48:16 PM

Tank (Destroyer) recommendation du jour: If you're playing against people who don't know the very specific weakspot, the AT 2 is bloody hilarious. There's nothing quite like getting tracked in an open field then watching half of the enemy team just bounce crap off of your armour until the track is fixed and then continuing with your stately advance as if nothing had happened.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3508 on: April 04, 2013, 04:56:30 PM

Sounds like fun. I';ve been playing the American Turreted TDs for a bit and I'm getting royally sick of the laco of armour. Running up the Brit TD line might be a fun change of pace

Hic sunt dracones.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3509 on: April 04, 2013, 07:01:13 PM

Sounds like fun. I';ve been playing the American Turreted TDs for a bit and I'm getting royally sick of the laco of armour. Running up the Brit TD line might be a fun change of pace

Its not.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3510 on: April 05, 2013, 05:38:14 AM

Yeah, I found that out last night.  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #3511 on: April 05, 2013, 01:02:27 PM

Yeah, the line up until the ATs start showing up is terrible. Best bet is fit derps and die (a lot).

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3512 on: April 05, 2013, 01:10:01 PM

Yeah, the line up until the ATs start showing up is terrible. Best bet is fit derps and die (a lot).

So you recommend free xp'ing to the AT2?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #3513 on: April 05, 2013, 03:30:51 PM

If you can? Hell yes. The only halfway fun TD in the Brit tree before the AT 2 is the upgunned Bren carrier...which is the first one in the tree. The AT Valentine combines the weaknessess of the Valentine (slow, mediocre guns, silhouette of a barn) with the weaknesses of the typical open-top gun (dies to the first person who can aim/first arty shot) and the Alecto is a choice of four guns (three of which are in the Brit "low alpha, moderate RoF" school of thought and the other is a howitzer) on an essentially unarmoured chassis.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3514 on: April 05, 2013, 03:37:52 PM

I had fun playing all of them but I was running gold derp whenever I could.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3515 on: April 05, 2013, 03:39:21 PM

I actually didn't mind the alecto once I figured out that the 3.7 was the best gun for it.  It couldn't take a hit but it was fast and seemed like it was hard to see, I know I killed more AT-2s with the Alecto than I did with the At-2.  I think the AT-8 is it for me and the Brit TD line it has become extremely painful to play it.  I think the problem is that I just don't 'get' fixed gun vehicles.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #3516 on: April 06, 2013, 11:20:22 AM

Okay... so they're adding a prototype looking Leopard 1 to the game in 8.5. It's time for them to split the game into a modern and a "Korea and earlier" version. Evan at tier 10, adding a modern MBT that Germany used until the 90's and some countries still use is sort of fucked up.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #3517 on: April 06, 2013, 12:00:18 PM

Either that or replace the FV215(b) with the Centurion.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
I mean, they are sort of stuck vis a vis Germany - all other countries can, like you say, drop their Korean War-era tanks in at the top end but Germany was busy having its heavy industry pillaged by the Allies and the population starved to death in the name of peace at that point in time. So they end up throwing things like a proposed Indian tank designed by Porsche into the German tree instead and suchlike.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:23:11 PM by Simond »

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3518 on: April 06, 2013, 02:20:22 PM

Okay... so they're adding a prototype looking Leopard 1 to the game in 8.5. It's time for them to split the game into a modern and a "Korea and earlier" version. Evan at tier 10, adding a modern MBT that Germany used until the 90's and some countries still use is sort of fucked up.

Heck they put the 105 on the M-48 which didn't happen till the late 70s, early 80s.  Their big problem is that their model depends on them adding new vehicles at all tiers and in order to have viable top tier tanks they have to keep stretching the end date further out.  Now that they have popped their cold war cherry, I expect we will see lines that lead to the T-55, AMX30mbt, and Chieftains.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3519 on: April 06, 2013, 03:20:27 PM

Heck they put the 105 on the M-48 which didn't happen till the late 70s, early 80s.  Their big problem is that their model depends on them adding new vehicles at all tiers and in order to have viable top tier tanks they have to keep stretching the end date further out.  Now that they have popped their cold war cherry, I expect we will see lines that lead to the T-55, AMX30mbt, and Chieftains.

They already have the T-62A, thats well into the Cold War.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3520 on: April 06, 2013, 04:40:43 PM

But the one they modeled was a very early variant that was an outgrowth of the t-54 and not the 115mm smooth bore armed one that was mass produced up until the 70s.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3521 on: April 06, 2013, 04:57:02 PM

The Leopard 1A1 they seem to be modeling is also a pretty early design. It's more telling that in order to make a compelling tier 10 medium they have to reach into the 1960s.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3522 on: April 06, 2013, 09:21:38 PM

Well the french tanks pushed the envelope into the Mid to late 50s as it was.

To be honest if they are looking to push out into other factions they could include a "non aligned" faction of tanks that are built by smaller countries. The Isrealis for example run their own MBT. And of course they could buff up the scout lines. Tazilion is a great advocate for the VK 2801 and its ilk but, seriously, riding one into a MK 12 Tier Battle is sheer screaming terror and is expensive as hell at that.

Hic sunt dracones.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #3523 on: April 07, 2013, 03:19:32 AM

ISTR that one of Wargaming.net's rules for tank inclusion is "No smoothbores" which explains why some post WW2 tanks are included. Of course, that could technically mean Challenger 2's are valid.

(Yes, the British Army still uses rifled barrels in its MBT. It also still has a Boiling Vessel (kettle) so they can enjoy a cuppa in the tank. No, really).

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3524 on: April 07, 2013, 05:13:54 AM

I suspect it has more to do with field rations, which are set up nowadays that you basically just have to toss the foil pouches into a pot of boiling water for a few minutes.

Though, "Whelp, we're pinned down by enemy arty... who wants tea?" is kind of awesome.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3525 on: April 07, 2013, 06:19:42 AM

I suspect it has more to do with field rations, which are set up nowadays that you basically just have to toss the foil pouches into a pot of boiling water for a few minutes.

Though, "Whelp, we're pinned down by enemy arty... who wants tea?" is kind of awesome.

The Brits have included a BV for tea since late in WW2(IIRC)  one of the tanker memoirs from the North Africa campaign (Brazen Chariots?) tells the story that British crews were so prone to making tea at every pause that one day during a lull in a battle a German voice came on their radio net asking "Permission to brrrew up?"  American tankers have had to rely on camping stoves or with the M1s engine exhaust heat to make coffee.  I think that finally changed in the latest round of upgrades to the M1 series but I'm not sure. 
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3526 on: April 07, 2013, 07:29:09 AM

Just thought I'd show off some fucking pwnage from last night, because why not.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52562896/20130406_2052_usa-M5_Stuart_39_crimea.wotreplay

South coast

M5 Stewart

890 odd experience, 6 kills

3 medals;
Sniper
Top gun
Pascucci's medal (which you get for destroying 3 arty in one battle with a Tank or TD)

Battle lenght 5 mins.

*flex*

Oh yeah after 2098 battles I have 48% wins so, hey.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3527 on: April 07, 2013, 10:25:56 AM

The Brits have included a BV for tea since late in WW2(IIRC)  one of the tanker memoirs from the North Africa campaign (Brazen Chariots?) tells the story that British crews were so prone to making tea at every pause that one day during a lull in a battle a German voice came on their radio net asking "Permission to brrrew up?"  American tankers have had to rely on camping stoves or with the M1s engine exhaust heat to make coffee.  I think that finally changed in the latest round of upgrades to the M1 series but I'm not sure. 

Having spent lots of time in the field during my 19+ years in the army, I know theres many ways to heat up your food and water, mostly involving chemicals.  I can I've never seen anyone heating things up on an engine.  Food pouches usually get put into a little bag where you just add a little water to get the chemical reaction while water gets heated with these good awful smelling hex tabs heating the water from under your metal canteen cup.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #3528 on: April 07, 2013, 12:24:24 PM

American tankers have had to rely on camping stoves or with the M1s engine exhaust heat to make coffee. 

The turbine outlet temperature on their engine is around 900 degrees F. That probably brews coffee pretty fast. Especially if they haven't changed from that nasty as fuck freeze dried stuff they used to put in MREs.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3529 on: April 07, 2013, 02:26:07 PM

Having spent lots of time in the field during my 19+ years in the army, I know theres many ways to heat up your food and water, mostly involving chemicals.  I can I've never seen anyone heating things up on an engine.  Food pouches usually get put into a little bag where you just add a little water to get the chemical reaction while water gets heated with these good awful smelling hex tabs heating the water from under your metal canteen cup.

Those chemical heater bags just started to be issued the last year I was on active duty and they were few and far between, I don't think I saw one till well after we got back from ODS.  The preferred method for heating MREs when I was on M1s was to lay your MRE meal pouch on the deflector plate on the exhaust and fire up the tank for a few minutes.  For coffee we jammed a 7.62 ammo box lid into the grill that covered the exhaust and sat a canteen cup on it.  Our 1st sgt used to grumble about the $50 cup of coffee (that was rumored to be the cost of the amount of fuel needed to start an M1) but he never turned one down.  When I was on M60s we stuck the lid from one of the turret ammo stowage boxes between the heater exhaust pipe and fender and used that as a shelf to set canteen cups on to heat water for coffee and ramen.  Some tanks were lucky to still have a working tankers stove which was basically a Coleman camping stove that ran on mogas.  The last resort for coffee was burning compressed fuel tablets that were sometimes issued, they took forever to heat a canteen cup though.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3530 on: April 07, 2013, 02:45:01 PM

Those chemical heater bags just started to be issued the last year I was on active duty and they were few and far between, I don't think I saw one till well after we got back from ODS.  The preferred method for heating MREs when I was on M1s was to lay your MRE meal pouch on the deflector plate on the exhaust and fire up the tank for a few minutes.  For coffee we jammed a 7.62 ammo box lid into the grill that covered the exhaust and sat a canteen cup on it.  Our 1st sgt used to grumble about the $50 cup of coffee (that was rumored to be the cost of the amount of fuel needed to start an M1) but he never turned one down.  When I was on M60s we stuck the lid from one of the turret ammo stowage boxes between the heater exhaust pipe and fender and used that as a shelf to set canteen cups on to heat water for coffee and ramen.  Some tanks were lucky to still have a working tankers stove which was basically a Coleman camping stove that ran on mogas.  The last resort for coffee was burning compressed fuel tablets that were sometimes issued, they took forever to heat a canteen cup though.

I'm not American. awesome, for real  We've been using those in Canada for at least 10 years now.  The fuel tabs aren't used much anymore.  Boiling water usually involves a pressure cooker and a coleman stove with naptha.

Anyway, WoT related, I'm really digging the dicker max.  It has a beast of a gun for a tier 6 and I've done 400+ damage more than a few times.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #3531 on: April 07, 2013, 03:58:26 PM

Anyway, WoT related, I'm really digging the dicker max.  It has a beast of a gun for a tier 6 and I've done 400+ damage more than a few times.

If you're  impressed by that, get the 100Y. It's pretty much the gun from the IS-7, give or take some very minor differences.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3532 on: April 07, 2013, 07:02:29 PM

I liked the gun on the Dicker Max especially the depression it had, but I suck at turretless TDs so I sold it a while back.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3533 on: April 08, 2013, 03:51:27 AM

The turbine outlet temperature on their engine is around 900 degrees F. That probably brews coffee pretty fast. Especially if they haven't changed from that nasty as fuck freeze dried stuff they used to put in MREs.

There are a few accounts out of Vietnam of soldiers burning small slices of C4 to boil water.
Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3534 on: April 08, 2013, 08:50:15 AM

There are a few accounts out of Vietnam of soldiers burning small slices of C4 to boil water.

This is true.  I knew a guy who would shave small pieces off into a fire to create some pretty good heat. 

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: