Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 11:12:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1104759 times)
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #3430 on: March 04, 2013, 11:30:47 AM

They have already made a ton of money across the globe. Business sense would be to make sure their next titles are not going to flop, which is a direction the Wargaming moneybarge seems to be drifting towards. People really dislike the WoT style up-gunning in WoP, because - oh boy - all airplanes shoot cannons.

Also, I don't understand Garbad's quote. I think he means players do not want to risk letting someone they don't know carry more of the weight because they are likely to be a bot or bad@tanks. I don't have a single premium tank with preferential matchmaking, so I'm used to pulling my weight a tier or two below. Beats the hell out of beta matchmaking. The people I talk to don't like playing tier 9 or 10 outside of grinding or daily doubles mainly thanks to the notion that those tanks are not fun to play in public matches. Maybe it's different on the Russian server where people are more aggressive and less prone to holding their dilz around the cap circle. I'm in the Classic tourney right now and there it's different quite fun thanks to ~srs bsns~. NA and EU server people forget that they come second since the Russian audience is way bigger than them. I don't read the Russian forums other than developer comments that get translated.

Personally, I find WoT's overall tank balance being top notch in the fact that a general forum thread has a wall to wall set of opinions on any given tank, even on the Lee. Some people click with a specific tank and have a good time with it, some don't.

Except the M7. No one likes the M7.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #3431 on: March 04, 2013, 11:34:30 AM

The reason I quit playing WoT is because there is no room for anyone that wants to just drive around in tanks and shoot stuff. This thread is full of evidence that I am right. Personalities that are represented in this thread ruin games like this for all but the most obsessive types.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #3432 on: March 04, 2013, 11:44:19 AM

You could probably improve your win % if you didn't drive around in first person view almost all the time. not being a fool if you read what things plainly say and don't add your own shit that completely changes what they say.

Thanks for the admission that you've got no counter argument and just have to name call.

No, thank you.

The problem for you there is it's not the same thing if I insult you in your own stupid, inaccurate sentence after I explain why a sentence in your native language doesn't mean anything close to what you want to pretend it means. It would be one thing if I were the one Slogging and then acting like I just made a checkmate move. But I'm not. It's you. And since you're such a dense cunt pulling the "I'm not touching you, just the air half a mm from you" bullshit I'd like special permission from the mods to get hardcore with you.

The reason I quit playing WoT is because there is no room for anyone that wants to just drive around in tanks and shoot stuff. This thread is full of evidence that I am right. Personalities that are represented in this thread ruin games like this for all but the most obsessive types.
Hey, I love messing around, leveling buildings with arty, playing my AMX-40, etc. But the stupid fucking XVM W/L crowd has really taken a shit all over the fun aspect of the game. Most of the matches I play anymore are the weekend specials with 70-100% bonus credits where I just drive at the enemy firing until I get killed. Then I immediately jump in the next bonus tank and repeat. I really do think War Thunder is going to clean their clocks. It's already a much better Plane game than WoWP. So much better in fact that Wargames redid their flight model to be more casual. If their tank game is as fun as well as including even more types of vehicles like AA or recovery vehicles, forget about it. The worst thing that War Thunder could do is implement any sort of public stats other than a top 100 leader board.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:51:37 AM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3433 on: March 04, 2013, 11:47:32 AM

People play T8 premiums because of the matchmaking and the fact that T8 is bloated as fuck due to all the premiums and it makes the MM even nicer to it.

Basically, the game is absolutely awesome if you only fight things a tier above you in the worst case, and essentially can't lose much money on a loss (t8 repairs are still reasonable)

T9/10 gameplay is kind of shit due to repair costs excessively punishing losses.

edit: and this Win Rate discussion has been 31 flavors of stupid. Can this be a relatively sane thread? Not WoT general forum material?
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #3434 on: March 04, 2013, 11:48:43 AM

The problem for you there is it's not the same thing if I insult you in your own stupid, inaccurate sentence after I explain why a sentence in your native language doesn't mean anything close to what you want to pretend it means. It would be one thing if I were the one Slogging and then acting like I just made a checkmate move. But I'm not. It's you. And since you're such a dense cunt pulling the "I'm not touching you, just the air half a mm from you" bullshit I'd like special permission from the mods to get hardcore with you.

No, the problem for us is your rageposting over an internet tankgame. You claim victory over an argument by pointing out false ad hominems and then calling someone a cunt as soon as you get to the next page.

But how do you feel about clans named after SS Divisions lead by people named after nazi war criminals who only drive superior German steel?
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #3435 on: March 04, 2013, 12:00:08 PM

No, the problem for us is your rageposting over an internet tankgame. You claim victory over an argument by pointing out false ad hominems and then calling someone a cunt as soon as you get to the next page.

Rageposting, are you fucking kidding? You don't know rageposting. Those post were some of the nicest, most patient posts I've posted here. He got called a cunt because that's what he's acting like. So are you. You two are just barfing up the same stupid shit you've read on a different videogame forum without even thinking about it. Want to convince me that team win rate is what player value should be based on? Lets make a bet. You go post that shit argument on a Fantasy Sports league or sports forum. If they agree with me, you two accept a one month ban here, and platoon with while you both TK until your WOT account is suspended. I'f you're right I'll do the same. Otherwise, just accept that you're just fucking wrong.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #3436 on: March 04, 2013, 12:10:25 PM

You didn't have the patience to read my fake Bible quote and not make a serious argument against religion at it, that's for sure.

Sports teams don't pick their players out of a hat where everyone including the audience have put their names in before every game. You have two different definitions for the word 'team'. We know what you're trying to do by inventing the term 'team win rate', but it's not working.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #3437 on: March 04, 2013, 12:25:08 PM

You didn't have the patience to read my fake Bible quote and not make a serious argument against religion at it, that's for sure.
You mean your real bible quote with the word "STAT" added a couple time? And you considered what I wrote a "serious" anything? What are you, a ten year old?

Sports teams don't pick their players out of a hat where everyone including the audience have put their names in before every game. You have two different definitions for the word 'team'. We know what you're trying to do by inventing the term 'team win rate', but it's not working.

Look bitch, it's simple. Does a team win a World of Tanks match, or does an individual. Those are the only two choices. Period. Even if one guy carries 14 AFK's and kills 15 enemy tanks, who gets a victory? Everyone does. So I'm not inventing shit. Win rate is based on the number of times the team your on wins versus the number of times the team your on loses. There's no trickery or subtle wordplay on my part. That's what it it. Period. How that team is formed is irrelevant to calculating the stat, it's still a team, and everyone on that team shares a win or a loss. What is relevant about it is that the game is set up so that everyone from Pee Wee to Pro Sports is dumped together and playing against similarly dumped together teams. The Pros also have the option of only playing in organized controlled games against other organized teams of a known quality. But they're all still TEAMS and everyone on the same TEAM wins or loses as a TEAM. I can understand how that shit confuses you, but really you should be able to puzzle it out.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #3438 on: March 04, 2013, 01:26:56 PM

And since you're such a dense cunt pulling the "I'm not touching you, just the air half a mm from you" bullshit I'd like special permission from the mods to get hardcore with you.

Save the gimp costume for your boyfriend, I'm not interested in the kinky stuff.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #3439 on: March 04, 2013, 01:47:29 PM

Thanks for the admission that you've got no counter argument and just have to name call. That considered me being right by most adults in any just about any discussion of any topic.

...clanfag...

...assgoblin...

...cunt...

...bitch...

...ten year old...

It would be a terrible shame if winrates don't actually matter and Wargaming has been using them to balance tanks all this time toward their own peril.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3440 on: March 04, 2013, 01:52:33 PM

I will say that basing most of their tank balance opinions on global win rates is a bit of a poor design method. You wind up with some tanks in dire need of balancing due to things like very high skill floors. The IS-6 is a decent example. You also have questions now with the frequency of gold ammo as to what you balance based on. A few tanks are balanced based around having low pen values but good other stats. The current meta throws this out the window. An SP with gold rounds for example only has a weakness of being slow. An IS-6 with gold also loses one of it's primary weaknesses. These are things you can put in the equation as long as they're not simply looking at global WR and praying that the oddities smooth themselves out over time. Or look at WR while dropping the outliers from the top and bottom.

Mostly rambling, it's long been said they base everything on win rate, but that's just far too silly and shallow to be their primary factor.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3441 on: March 04, 2013, 02:04:26 PM

Statements I've seen from the devs don't inspire me to think they're any less shallow and self-interested than any other game-dev.  Possibly more-so.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #3442 on: March 04, 2013, 02:17:47 PM

I think Wargaming has an entertaining model of communicating to the players, as well as doing lots of specials and contests all the time to keep people engaged. I think a lot could be learned from them. Lots of information and good fun comes from Wargaming's VP alone when he answers questions on the forums during boring meetings. Sadly, that's all in Russian. Two days ago he did a IAmA though!
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3443 on: March 04, 2013, 02:27:27 PM

WG's US relations dude frequently says things that are absolutely backwards from what the Russian devs just declared. It's a bit odd, and I've always just assumed this is what non english speaking gamers deal with daily.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #3444 on: March 04, 2013, 02:35:15 PM

Oh yeah, the NA forum moderation and the North American Clan Wars map event burst of screw-ups show that we get shafted by the short end of the stick. What amused me is that the patchnotes are translated into English by someone who literally gets paid to do it with gold.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3445 on: March 04, 2013, 02:49:05 PM

Enough with the win rate discussion.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3446 on: March 04, 2013, 04:56:24 PM

Aw, I had so much to say.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #3447 on: March 04, 2013, 05:02:35 PM

Trippy Smash!

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3448 on: March 05, 2013, 06:51:16 AM

Good gravy was/is the Rise of America event a clusterfuck. How can a company raking in this kind of cash be this incompetent?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3449 on: March 05, 2013, 07:04:49 AM

I wasn't paying attention to it - what happened?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #3450 on: March 05, 2013, 07:20:31 AM

Good gravy was/is the Rise of America event a clusterfuck. How can a company raking in this kind of cash be this incompetent?

It's organized by Wargaming NA, not Wargaming actual.

Although taking down Clan Wars due to an upcoming patch shouldn't be that shocking.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:23:03 AM by Gets »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3451 on: March 05, 2013, 07:26:38 AM

So just curious, but how do you guys go about taking shots - aim for anywhere in particular? Most of the time I'm at significant range, so I just try to aim at a point where my indicator is green. If I get a flank shot I aim towards the rear of the side...because that's where engines/ammo/crew are, right?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3452 on: March 05, 2013, 07:30:02 AM

It's not the taking it down part. It's how ridiculous the communication has been on this. They have changed the event on the fly at least 4 times, can't seem to write a description without it being both incomplete and completely ambiguous, taken down the server in the middle of prime time, still haven't distributed the promised gold bonus, etc. etc.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #3453 on: March 05, 2013, 07:32:16 AM

So just curious, but how do you guys go about taking shots - aim for anywhere in particular? Most of the time I'm at significant range, so I just try to aim at a point where my indicator is green. If I get a flank shot I aim towards the rear of the side...because that's where engines/ammo/crew are, right?

Depends on the tank. Research or just play enough to know the week spots for every tank and it will pay dividends. Just eyeballing it though look for surfaces that are  as perpendicular to your shell trajectory as you can. If you are at really long range aim for the hull in general and side/rear if you can get to it.

-H.L. Mencken
UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #3454 on: March 05, 2013, 07:37:53 AM

Also, I don't understand Garbad's quote. I think he means players do not want to risk letting someone they don't know carry more of the weight because they are likely to be a bot or bad@tanks.

It not the risk side of this but rather the control.  The more control ones generates in a match the better.

The game does have RNG.  Arty is the biggest RNG to the point of one shot kills.  One shots is a well discussed and understood feature in many games.

Gold and top of MM mean you can do something to every tank in game.

bad@tanks are just spotters and meat shield for you.  They are heavily used by better players.

PvP games ideally have game be the same with player choice the only variation.  WoT does not do this.
Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3455 on: March 05, 2013, 07:43:05 AM

You can also try this site, http://wotguru.com/.  I've used it quite a bit and can give you a really nice overview of a tank's armor profile.  Generally, from the front for most tanks the Lower Glacis Plate is a weak point (but not all tanks).  And then right above the tracks to the rear of the tank. 

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #3456 on: March 05, 2013, 07:56:26 AM

If they are facing you at a 45° angle go for the center of the front wheel, you should damage and likely track them, I tend to shoot this place a lot.
Learn as much about the other tanks as possible, different tanks take certain shots better.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3457 on: March 05, 2013, 08:09:44 AM

The indicator is a lie. It lies so much.

MG ports, hatches are almost always weak points (it's the reason why IS-6s aren't total bullshit). Optics on top of a tank are 50/50. Always weak, but on like half the tanks they cause no hp damage.

Ammo/Engines are in various places. For Ze Germans, always aim mid/left on their lower front plate if you need to engage frontally, it's where the engine is and the fuckers spend most of a game on fire. For everyone not german, aiming for the rear end of a side shot will probably hit engine or fuel.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #3458 on: March 05, 2013, 08:35:13 AM

Kildorn is right the indicator doesn't work don't use it.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3459 on: March 05, 2013, 08:44:02 AM

Ze Germanz also tend to have terrible weak side turret armor. Get 'em to look at someone else and BLAMMO, instead of trying to pen 120mm you're only going for 80 on a Lowe.  Instead of 200mm on an E-100 it's only 130. 

Just don't try it on a Maus.. fucking thing has few weak points.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3460 on: March 06, 2013, 03:43:36 AM

8.4 is in on the Euro server and will probably go in tonight or Thursday night on the US.  WG is running another xp contest for the Brit TDs like the one they did for the Chinese tree.  http://worldoftanks.com/news/2099-84-event-keep-calm-carry/
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3461 on: March 06, 2013, 05:03:32 AM

See, THAT is how you do a contest.  Top 100 scores from a single match, not compiled over the weekend.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3462 on: March 06, 2013, 05:32:13 AM

Those events depress me.  They are a reminder that my best game still isn't enough to get me in the top 100.  They are like an alignment of the planets in that a good player against terrible competition can put up some crazy numbers.  I watched a guy on my team the other night put up a match with 9500 damage and 1500 spotting.  It was like the entire team drove at him and then turned their side to him to make his life easier... it was jaw-dropping.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3463 on: March 06, 2013, 05:54:51 AM

From what I remember from the Chinese release contest, you needed about 1k standard xp for a single match to be in the running.  Also, there are people out there who have been grinding the British premium AT Gun that will have 2 or 3 skill crews so don't feel too bad about not making the top 100.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3464 on: March 06, 2013, 06:06:10 AM

My best game ever was in the French B1 against a bunch of Mediums. It was a slaughter. Got the mastery badge, steel wall and a few other accolades on that game.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: