Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 02:04:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1116747 times)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2730 on: September 27, 2012, 07:47:15 AM

Yeah, it's why some idiot with a rapid fire gun next to a TD pisses the TD off so much, firing fucks everyone's cover.

So I tried 8.0. SO MUCH BLOOM. Also, I can't hit shit that's moving, which is really odd. I usually get sniper every round and wound up 50/50 on hitting stationary targets at range for the entire evening. Not sure what the hell is up with that. I had one shot where the shell appear to ground out about 10m in front of me when I was aiming flat.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2731 on: September 27, 2012, 09:19:27 AM

The lowest my ping ever is is 106ms or so. I have nights when it starts spiking to 250-300 for a second or two, especially when the server is over 24k users. I guess I don't even notice it unless it spikes...I hit 60%+ of my shots, and I play 3 arty lines regularly, so it can't accuracy too much. Either that or I have just incorporated the lag into my playstyle subconsciously and automatically account for it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2732 on: September 27, 2012, 10:32:06 AM

Higher pings you just adjust for given some time. The only thing that fucks you and causes people to scream about lag is an inconsistent ping/packet loss. Having to lead a bit more isn't nearly as bad as having shit jump around on screen, or random .5s delays on key presses.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #2733 on: September 27, 2012, 10:45:30 AM

Bought a Black Prince. Apparently it's another made up tank, a Matilda with a Cromwell Mk. IV turret on it, and the same 6lb gun as the Churchill. It's not bad, not good, more a novelty and to train a british crew than anything else. It's about as survivable as the soviet Matilda and the gun behaves exactly as the Churchills. The engine is severely underpowered though. It goes fast enough on hard ground and roads, but but goes soooooo slow otherwise. Unfortunately higher octane gas in not purchaseable for it. On the bright side all the British camo designs are gorgeous.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2734 on: September 27, 2012, 10:49:29 AM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2735 on: September 27, 2012, 11:56:15 AM

I've been mostly away from this great great game since closed beta. I loved it and I was planning to go back for a while. Only to find out that it's not considered cheating to change the ingame skins with some player modified ones that shows all tanks weak hitboxes with bright colours.

This is crazy to me, and depressing. Mind, I don't know the weak spots of a single tank, but I don't understand how this is not considered cheating. What's your stance about it? And is shit like this allowed in tournament or it's only that they knew they could not win the war against this kind of cheating so they just let it go? And if it's allowed in "online tournaments", is it allowed in LAN tournaments too?

By the way, bleah.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2736 on: September 27, 2012, 12:12:39 PM

I find the hitbox skins to be stupid, but less offensive from a gameplay standpoint as being allowed to remove the textures for bushes and trees (which makes it easier to hit weak points when someone is sitting behind something obscuring your view)

Overall the game doesn't suffer that much from all the little mods, but it's just a bit odd. Most of the weak points are obvious anyways, the main use of them I believe is to find ammo racks.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2737 on: September 27, 2012, 12:21:06 PM

I look at skins as leveling the playing field.  With skins a rank noob knows not to shoot futilely at the turret of a T-29 and go for the creamy center that is the body.   Without them, that noob is fodder to someone who's spent 8k games learning every weak point and knows that plinking a shot in to the upper right of the rear portion of a Type 59 will make it all explody.

Plus, even if they were illegal you'd have plenty of people cheating to mod them in so may as well embrace it and let everyone be equal.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2738 on: September 27, 2012, 12:35:07 PM

Think of it like this - real tank crews train for hours to learn that kind of info...so really, if your crew was real they'd know this info innately.

Besides, they're ugly. Eventually you'll learn how to pop the various tanks.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2739 on: September 27, 2012, 12:43:16 PM

What I'd like to see is that the tank skins be part of a skill that you have your gunner/commander learn.  When they reach the proper expertise, you begin to see the weak spots better.  It would really help with immersion and be available to all players and not just those that use third party skin sets. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2740 on: September 27, 2012, 12:57:23 PM

The thing about the skins is that at anything beyond close range they aren't that useful.  Because the impact point is random for every shot you can't guarantee that you will hit the specific area you are aiming at and you will find that the dispersion circle is usually bigger than most weak spot depictions.  Also because the impact point is random, you can't adjust your aim based on the flight of the previous round.  The removing the foliage thing does definitely make the game much easier.  While it made shooting tanks moving through the woods a little easier, what I really liked when I used it was that I could finally see the terrain in the forested areas which made it much easier to find and take advantage of spots that provided cover.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2741 on: September 27, 2012, 01:10:21 PM

I am seriously astonished. Both that they are allowed (although it really seems they just decided not to fight it since they were not going to win the war) and that people (and some of you) find them acceptable.

Wow. What can I say, to me everything that is not in the original software is a cheat. I understand the concept of "mods", but this is definitely an ugly stretch for my tastes. And I stress for my tastes. But I really wasn't expecting it.

Now I can only hope they won't come up with similar "shit" in Mechwarrior, but if the general audience get to the point where these things are normal, I'm afraid I will be disappointed again.

So yeah,  swamp poop

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #2742 on: September 27, 2012, 01:13:28 PM

The hitbox thing never bothered me that much since the crosshairs indicate your penetration already. As was pointed out, outside of short range they're mostly useless anyway.

Yes, I know there's a Black Prince variant. It was remote controlled and much, much different than the one in the game. It's not a big deal, I like what they did. It's like a Bobblehead Tank.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2743 on: September 27, 2012, 07:56:57 PM

I have fun with the BP, although I wish it had a little better engine.  Hills are painful, and I keep getting put on Redshire with it. 
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2744 on: September 27, 2012, 10:42:43 PM

The new physics does not seem to have reduced the effectiveness of my VK 2801 at all. I suppose that because I was used to having to make wide turns on it to maintain my speed, I already am used to driving in a way the new physics demands. (That's why I found all the t-50 drivers infuriating to watch and fight as they could somehow break the laws of physics while I was stuck driving a bathtub)

Overall I'm enjoying the new patch. Things feel better to me. I'm even kicking more ass on my Lowe.

Hic sunt dracones.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2745 on: September 28, 2012, 07:18:14 AM

I am seriously astonished. Both that they are allowed (although it really seems they just decided not to fight it since they were not going to win the war) and that people (and some of you) find them acceptable.

Wow. What can I say, to me everything that is not in the original software is a cheat. I understand the concept of "mods", but this is definitely an ugly stretch for my tastes. And I stress for my tastes. But I really wasn't expecting it.

Now I can only hope they won't come up with similar "shit" in Mechwarrior, but if the general audience get to the point where these things are normal, I'm afraid I will be disappointed again.

So yeah,  swamp poop

I think your overstating it a bit - and that's why nobody is shocked.  Sure, the skins can give a new and/or mediocre players an advantage.  However, I have heard that those skins are useless beyond a few hundred metres and as suggested above, only really apply in brawling scenarios.  The weak points are usually pretty obvious - anywhere on the rear, the sides, the lower glacis, and any miscellaneous machine gun turret/commander hatch.  Obviously there are exceptions, but you learn pretty quick.  Besides, your aiming cursor will light up red, yellow, green when hovering over a tank in regards to penetration.  It's just not that much of an advantage to worry about.

Even knowing weak spots is half the battle - as it is tough/impossible to hit them at long range, while they are moving, etc.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:58:21 AM by Bandit »
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2746 on: September 28, 2012, 07:54:54 AM

Because weak armor is relative to the gun shooting at it, skins don't so much show weak armor but what is behind the armor.  So it allows you to target ammo storage areas, fuel tanks, specific crew members, etc.  Nice to know, but if you don't understand how penetration and damage work not a game changer.   By the time you reach tier 6 you should have a basic understanding of how armor works and where you are likely to find weak spots so that when you encounter a new tank you will know how to have a chance to figure out where you can do the most damage.  If you don't have that understanding a hit box skin isn't going to help you much.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #2747 on: September 28, 2012, 05:07:04 PM

...and to train a british crew than anything else.
Wait, are they finally going to add in the British tech tree?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #2748 on: September 28, 2012, 06:53:52 PM

Yes, no firm date but I think it's going to be fairly soon. Not 100% sure but I seem to remember that the tanks are all done, they just need public test. After that is supposed to be the Japanese. What they'll do after that It's hard to say since that about covers everyone who made tanks during that time period.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2749 on: September 28, 2012, 07:14:52 PM

The Italians made a few tanks as well

http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/ww2-italian-tanks.asp

But I think at that stage they will be focusing more on world of Warships and World of Planes anyway.

Anyway, you know the most amazing thing? Igot the Lowe becasue I thought a nice slow tank would be the perfect antidote to my suicidal agressiveness. Stay in the back, play a sniper...

Which of course means half the time I'm leading the attack with the Other heavies hiding behind me.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2750 on: September 28, 2012, 11:03:44 PM

Yes, no firm date but I think it's going to be fairly soon. Not 100% sure but I seem to remember that the tanks are all done, they just need public test. After that is supposed to be the Japanese. What they'll do after that It's hard to say since that about covers everyone who made tanks during that time period.

I've heard late October early November for the Brits.  I believe after the Japanese they are talking about a Euro line which would include vehicles from the countries that produced AFVs in limited numbers.  Also, there will be a second US medium tree added at some point.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #2751 on: September 29, 2012, 12:51:31 AM

Thirteen reverse gears and two forward...in case they were attacked from behind.  awesome, for real
(It's an older joke than you think - my late grandfather used that one & actually about WW2 Italian tanks).

But yay Brit tanks; I may actually have to download this again. Wonder if they'll have the Sherman Firefly as a premium tank or a 'normal' TD?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 01:02:05 AM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2752 on: September 29, 2012, 02:04:41 AM

I suspect it will be a premium.  Probably tier 6 with a very slow rate of fire and lots of dispersion. 

Thirteen reverse gears and two forward...in case they were attacked from behind.  awesome, for real
(It's an older joke than you think - my late grandfather used that one & actually about WW2 Italian tanks).

One time in Germany we had an M1 set up as a static display at a friendship fest thing and I met a WW2 German tanker who told the same joke.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #2753 on: September 29, 2012, 02:07:29 PM

Hitbox skins are for plebs. Real tank thugs roll with gold ammo, gold consumables, gold camo, gold armour, gold accuracy, fuck it, shoot all the fucking gold.

(haven't been able to play tanks for a week)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2754 on: September 29, 2012, 02:25:29 PM

Gets has a good point.

We're ok with skins because Gold Ammo is 10x worse.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #2755 on: September 30, 2012, 06:12:05 AM

Only if you're being as verbally ironic about it as I was.

Here's something for my fellow stat-prostitutes working those corners: Tanker Stats

Now if only I could find low resolution texture packs for 8.0 that work :(
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2756 on: October 05, 2012, 08:57:58 AM

So, uh.. I guess Camouflage patterns are totally fucked right now?   I applied a summer to my T34 and a desert to my Type 59 (which, evidently 8.0 stripped off because I had them that way before) and logged back in today to find they're both the ugly white winter pattern.  Awesome.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #2757 on: October 06, 2012, 10:16:52 AM

So, uh.. I guess Camouflage patterns are totally fucked right now?   I applied a summer to my T34 and a desert to my Type 59 (which, evidently 8.0 stripped off because I had them that way before) and logged back in today to find they're both the ugly white winter pattern.  Awesome.

Check to see if you didn't accidentally buy winter camo for them. If you preview a skin and then go to a different season skin and buy a skin there, it will also buy whatever skin you previewed in the other seasons. So if you prevviewed a winter, previewed a summer, and then bought a desert it will buy all three unless you close out the exterior view and then go back in and just pick the one you want. When you log in to the game, the winter camo is the default to display in the garage. After each fight the rest of the session it will display whatever camo was used in the last battle.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2758 on: October 07, 2012, 08:50:37 AM

Yeah, that's what it was.  I played a few games and had different cammos.   awesome, for real   The interface didn't make it clear I was doing that.  Still, it was only 600 gold to make them permanent.. and I figured the price had just been upped form the 400g I'd paid under the old system because they were useful.  No complaints.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #2759 on: October 08, 2012, 02:21:27 PM

How hung over is Wargaming from that London party for them to get around to fixing Clan Wars? It's been almost 2 weeks.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2760 on: October 08, 2012, 05:51:50 PM

How hung over is Wargaming from that London party for them to get around to fixing Clan Wars? It's been almost 2 weeks.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out WTF is going on?  How bad could they break it?  You would think the code to keep track of a few dozen provinces could be written in an afternoon.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #2761 on: October 08, 2012, 07:53:47 PM

No, it's not the map mechanics that got broken, it was the game itself, specifically Fog of War. What happened was the minimap got bugged, for example friendly lights would show up as hostile heavies, or something similar. The bug is apparently really hard for them to reconstruct, so that is why the delay. Also they wanted input from all the "Council of Armed Forces" ("bunch of clan leaders and devs on Skype acting like 6th graders") Luckily they know it is caused by battle recording, so what Wargaming will do once they arrive at work in a couple of hours is remove battle recording for clan battles and hope for the best. Expect Clan Wars to come back in the next 3 days with 24h notice at least, probably more since the Russian server always gets a fix a day earlier than the rest.

What I gathered was that we have to turn off battle recording client side for clan battles until 8.1 comes with an actual fix.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2762 on: October 08, 2012, 08:03:02 PM

Which means that The bug will return full force as getting people to got to options and click it off will be just too much EFFORT!!

Reminds me. I might want to go look for a clan at some stage. I'm pugged out on this game.

Hic sunt dracones.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2763 on: October 08, 2012, 10:06:38 PM

Welcome to join Evils, Sir T. We got an assie, a brit, canuks up the rear. We're missing an irishperson.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2764 on: October 09, 2012, 06:02:24 AM

Welcome to join Evils, Sir T. We got an assie, a brit, canuks up the rear. We're missing an irishperson.

Sounds like my clan, although we do have an Irish person, plus a German and a Bulgarian.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: