Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:53:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 167 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 1104663 times)
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2065 on: May 12, 2012, 09:48:14 AM

Even French light tanks had heavy armor (for the time) and were tough to kill.

The Germans were beginning to field the PzKpfw IV in 1939 (which could breach a Char at 700m).  By the time they invaded France, they had ~500 of them (out of 2445 tanks), compared to ~700 Chars and 430 S35's (out of 3383).  Fucking everyone was fielding pisscutter tanks in those days, France wasn't some fucking tank design savant, as evinced by that fact that most of their were destroyed by the rigors of driving on a highway.

Lastly, you're completely ignoring the Russians, who were rolling out T-28's and T-35's in the early to mid 30's.

Sure, French tanks had their weaknesses, every tank has some.  But they were modern designs with thick armor and had good guns. 

I'd rather be in Char B than any of the options you have listed above. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2066 on: May 12, 2012, 11:00:50 AM

Welcome to EVIL Way. I've been out of town and have been going through WoT withdrawal. I'm currently in Vegas and just want to go home for a variety of reasons but one is my jonesing for some tanks.  Another is that I can't find a decent limit game in this town. NL has destroyed low limit poker IMO and I hate playing it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2067 on: May 12, 2012, 11:30:31 AM

Even French light tanks had heavy armor (for the time) and were tough to kill.

The Germans were beginning to field the PzKpfw IV in 1939 (which could breach a Char at 700m).  By the time they invaded France, they had ~500 of them (out of 2445 tanks), compared to ~700 Chars and 430 S35's (out of 3383).  Fucking everyone was fielding pisscutter tanks in those days, France wasn't some fucking tank design savant, as evinced by that fact that most of their were destroyed by the rigors of driving on a highway.

Lastly, you're completely ignoring the Russians, who were rolling out T-28's and T-35's in the early to mid 30's.

I suggest you read Panzer Leader to get Guderian's take on the state of French vs. German tanks at the beginning of the war.  He was very worried about the French tanks and what they would do to his.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2068 on: May 12, 2012, 12:14:07 PM

modern designs

I suggest you read Panzer Leader to get Guderian's take on the state of French vs. German tanks at the beginning of the war.  He was very worried about the French tanks and what they would do to his.

Panzer Leader was written in 1950.  Also, Guderian has been known, on several occasions, to simply make shit up when it serves his purposes.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:33:19 PM by Sheepherder »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2069 on: May 12, 2012, 12:23:13 PM

How come the B1 is such a terrible tank in game?  I find the gun to be pretty ineffective against anything higher tier, the tank to be pretty slow and tough to turn, and the armor overrated.  

Abagadro: I want some lessons from you one of these evenings... I'm slowly getting my game back but still make too many rookie mistakes. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2070 on: May 12, 2012, 12:42:08 PM

EDITED

Note: same turret as the Char B1.  For comparison:

EDIT2: Because why the hell not?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 01:46:57 PM by Sheepherder »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2071 on: May 12, 2012, 12:45:11 PM

Nebu, any time. we could even get a few folks in a training map and on TS.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #2072 on: May 12, 2012, 08:07:12 PM

Welcome to EVIL Way. I've been out of town and have been going through WoT withdrawal. I'm currently in Vegas and just want to go home for a variety of reasons but one is my jonesing for some tanks.  Another is that I can't find a decent limit game in this town. NL has destroyed low limit poker IMO and I hate playing it.

I was wondering where you where. All things equal I would rather be in Vegas! And yes, NL has destroyed limit. Played last night...1 $4/$8 game, 4 or 5 $2/$5 NL games. Then they opened a 5th NL game and the 4/8 lost two players! We were down to 6 handed and said fuck it and came home to play internet tanks.

Maybe try Venetian? I have Aria on Twitter and all they ever have limit-wise is $30/$60 mixed, which would be a lot of fun, but WAY out of my bankroll limits. Would like to see the room though- that is the new hot spot from what I hear.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2073 on: May 12, 2012, 11:33:10 PM

Ya, that's what I hear too. Played the 1/2 NL again because I didn't want to leave the hotel. Won 120 so can't complain but still don't like the game or feel like I know what I am doing. Guess I need to learn since that seems to be where things are at in the poker world.

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #2074 on: May 13, 2012, 01:28:31 AM

1/2 is at least low enough that any missteps aren't going to REALLY cost you. I hear a lot of the 1/2s in Vegas are just wild. If you can absorb the swings you can make a lot of money.

God I need to get back down there. Not bloody likely any time soon, however.

In actual WOT news, I scored my first blind arty kill tonight...guy disappeared, but I saw him knocking down trees and guessed right  awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2075 on: May 13, 2012, 08:39:32 AM

modern designs

I suggest you read Panzer Leader to get Guderian's take on the state of French vs. German tanks at the beginning of the war.  He was very worried about the French tanks and what they would do to his.

Panzer Leader was written in 1950.  Also, Guderian has been known, on several occasions, to simply make shit up when it serves his purposes.

For 1940, you bet it was modern.  As for Guderian, if you are going to ignore the opinion of one of the gods of armored warfare there is really no point in discussing this with you further.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2076 on: May 13, 2012, 08:42:51 AM

How come the B1 is such a terrible tank in game?  I find the gun to be pretty ineffective against anything higher tier, the tank to be pretty slow and tough to turn, and the armor overrated.  

Abagadro: I want some lessons from you one of these evenings... I'm slowly getting my game back but still make too many rookie mistakes. 

Because the hull 75mm is not modelled in the game.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2077 on: May 13, 2012, 12:43:24 PM

Because the hull 75mm is not modelled in the game.

The same thing made Lee/Grant useless, kinda disappointing.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2078 on: May 13, 2012, 12:55:49 PM

BTW, Sheepherder's anti-Char B1 tirade is amusing considering that on one occasion a single tank managed to destroy 13 German tanks, all of them PzIIIs and IVs.

edit: also, the shitty gun and ammo described by him was WW1 era stuff, the B1 Bis (ie. the tank that was actually built in large numbers) had upgraded to a longer barreled version that fired modern AP rounds.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:05:07 PM by jakonovski »
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2079 on: May 13, 2012, 06:26:35 PM

Yes, and if the Germans had nothing but King Tigers they would still own France today.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2080 on: May 13, 2012, 07:59:44 PM

So, thanks to the recent 5x xp event, I have over 200k of "free" xp I can use.  I was thinking of getting one of the following: T10 IS-7 (already have 2 other T10s), T8 AMX 50 100, T9 BatChat or the T9 ST-1.    Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with these tanks?
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2081 on: May 13, 2012, 08:32:04 PM

It looks like you can one-shot a Char B1 in-game through the death star exhaust ports.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #2082 on: May 13, 2012, 11:12:29 PM

So, thanks to the recent 5x xp event, I have over 200k of "free" xp I can use.  I was thinking of getting one of the following: T10 IS-7 (already have 2 other T10s), T8 AMX 50 100, T9 BatChat or the T9 ST-1.    Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with these tanks?

Eh, I'd take the BatChat. The IS-7 is the IS-7... There's not really much new or thrilling -  or different from the rest of the higher tier soviet tanks. I don't know anything about the ST-1 except it's got a giant turret and seems to love getting racked. I like my AMX50 100 and I like my Loraine 40t. They both pretty much play the same and use the same guns. If you have a loraine and like it, it's pretty much the same but a little slower and bigger. Plus the soviet tree reorganization already happened so you missed out on free tanks from that. The French tree is eventually going to get fleshed out and redone, so there's no harm in getting a jump on that.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2083 on: May 14, 2012, 12:44:24 AM

Yes, and if the Germans had nothing but King Tigers they would still own France today.

I don't see what that has to do with anything. I just wanted to correct your factual errors because I'm a tank nerd. So nyah.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #2084 on: May 14, 2012, 03:11:50 AM

Get the BatChat loads of fun and good XP maker. The IS7 would be good for clan wars if your clan needs T10s, but go BatChat.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2085 on: May 14, 2012, 12:43:21 PM

I don't see what that has to do with anything. I just wanted to correct your factual errors because I'm a tank nerd. So nyah.

I missed the change in the gun that came with the Bis, mea culpa on that count.  However:

There was never more than 370 B1's with the improved [stuff], given Renault's reputation for reliability, I imagine the actual number was probably half that.
There was never more than 492 Tiger II's, and because it was a late war German design their quality control had gone for shit, so there was significantly less than the number manufactured in service at any one point in time.

But hey, Guderian herfblerfing ten years later is gospel, rather than history's rather harsh lesson to the French.  Because he doesn't have a reputation for prevaricating through his fucking teeth, trotting out Third Reich doggerel in a hamfisted attempt at Dolchstosslegende II: Electric Boogaloo, or just generally being a nasty shit who was lucky he was skipped over for being shot as a matter of cleaning house.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:46:12 PM by Sheepherder »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2086 on: May 19, 2012, 10:19:59 PM

Woot. Just elited the entire German tech tree.

-H.L. Mencken
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2087 on: May 20, 2012, 11:43:56 PM

I'm only missing the 38nA, VK 3001 (H) and the last 2 arties.  Don't think I'll ever get any of them.  The 38 NA is pointless with the availability of the tier 5 lights, the 3001 (H) looks really meh and I already have the much better 3601 (H) and I hate/suck playing arty so I'm not going any further in that tree.  Besides, I got the new French arty recently so I won't lose any money if I get the urge to play it once in a blue moon.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2088 on: May 23, 2012, 10:18:48 AM

You are a beast! I am barely into the Tier 5 US tree and the grindiness is hitting home. Luckily I am still having fun. Just wish there were a few more small rewards/goals between tiers (after all the equipment has been researched).

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2089 on: May 23, 2012, 12:12:56 PM

There is! Grind those crews to 100% and 3 skills, man!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2090 on: May 23, 2012, 01:18:50 PM

Ha- I mean after all the modules have been researched, but there is more XP until the next tier tank is unlocked. Crew advancement is in such tiny increments that I never notice it. Although I do buy all my new tanks with 75% crew at least  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Been reading the Wiki...there is still a ton of stuff I need to learn. Like how to read things like the penetration indicator on my reticule, for example.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2091 on: May 23, 2012, 07:44:29 PM

Like how to read things like the penetration indicator on my reticule, for example.

Green is good.  Yellow is less good.  If you're in a light tank shooting at mediums or heavies your reticule will instead be red.  At long ranges use HE shells and hope that splash damage will hit something squishy.  At short ranges use AP round and drill holes in their ass end, top, or turret.  Your front has the most armour, lead with that.  Don't be that fucking mook who reverses out from behind cover to shoot at a guy because it's easier than turning around.

If you're in a medium or heavy and a light tank is dogging you hit the brakes.  You can feel their scream through the internet.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2092 on: May 25, 2012, 08:15:57 AM

We have had this conversation before, but for those looking at purchasing a premium - I want to vouch for the KV-5! One of my two favourite tanks to play (other than the Chaffee).  I see people talk shit about the KV-5, but this tank is sooo much fun when played properly.  I make more cash then the Lowe, have better win-rate, and better average xp (I think about an average of 850).

- The KV-5 has better matchmaking properties than the other T8 Premiums and will always be near the top
- ammo is much cheaper therefore increasing credits per match
- cheaper than the Lowe
- People always claim that the KV-5 is a "brawler", not true at all due to slow turret rotation and obvious MG turret weakness (R2 unit)
- Play the KV-5 as a medium to short range hole plugger which minimizes opportunities to target the R2 unit
- The ROF is high, and I would suggest that your overall DPS is higher than Lowe/T34 if you are penning
- The pen is low, but ROF and smart flanking can minimize this but this only is really an issue against other heavies - otherwise it chews up mediums and lights quickly
- Pretty fast tank for its size but the traverse is dismal

In some matches, after the dust is cleared and some enemies are out of the picture (top heavies, TDs) then the KV-5 is literally unstoppable - barely anything can pen you.  I feel like the fucking kool-aid man smashing through walls into other tanks.

I had a match the other day where someone said we fail because the KV-5 was the top tank on his side.  I dominated with 7 Kills and basically drove non-stop to the capture point.

Some experience is needed as you will need to know where to pen certain opposing heavy tanks and you just can't always drive in like your unstoppable but this tank can take a BEATING.  I use spall-liner, Cyclone Filter, and Rammer.  Vents can be substituted for filter, but if your engine does get hit your pretty much a statue.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2093 on: May 25, 2012, 08:28:58 AM

Earned my first Top Gun of my career last night in my AMX 40. Was on the map with the single train track (Prokhorovka?) and snuggled up next to the end car so I could cover both sides of the train if needed. My teammates quickly got themselves killed and I was left trying to mop up the rest of the bad guys as they swarmed. Got 6 before I exploded.

Played a couple more rounds in 40 and then upgraded to the 12t. THAT is gonna be a grind, but I want to get through as much as I can this weekend, since that line is on sale for 50% off.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #2094 on: May 27, 2012, 03:09:24 AM

I really love my T34.

(2:40:18 AM) Victory! Battle: Westfield Sunday, May 27, 2012 2:31:46 AM Vehicle: T34 Experience received: 1,662 Credits received: 108,532 Battle Achievements: Mastery Badge: I Class

(2:50:49 AM) Victory! Battle: Lakeville Sunday, May 27, 2012 2:40:33 AM Vehicle: T34 Experience received: 1,785 Credits received: 107,077 Battle Achievements: Defender

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2095 on: May 27, 2012, 05:00:04 AM

I'll say, after seeing the pounding those can take and being on the exploding end of  a few they're certainly tempting.  Sooo expensive, though.  I can't justify it for another 6 months or so, I had other things to buy.   Heartbreak

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2096 on: May 27, 2012, 12:51:13 PM

Is there really no event for Memorial Day?  I was a bit surprised.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #2097 on: May 27, 2012, 04:26:51 PM

For basically the rest of the world, Remembrance Day is in November.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2098 on: May 28, 2012, 01:04:42 PM

Unless you are working on french tanks! There is bit of an uproar in the forums about french tanks for American memorial day...

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2099 on: May 28, 2012, 04:58:17 PM

Epic troll.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 167 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Tanks  
Jump to: