Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:42:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Sacred 2 - Ascaron - PS3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sacred 2 - Ascaron - PS3  (Read 19456 times)
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

on: May 13, 2009, 10:15:09 AM

...or, "Somebody Tell Those Fucking Germans That Barrels Are For Smashing."

We spent about 2 or 3 hours on it last night, and I am kind of looking forward to playing more tonight. But you can't smash barrels or share loot (you can only sell or scrap loot that you can't equip - boo, I say!).

Character set-up for co-op mode is buggy. It wouldn't let player 2 make a character, so player 1 had to create an additional character that sort of disappeared into the ethers when it came time to start (I ended up having to jump in after Sauced started playing). Boo, I say. This is apparently being worked on, but still. How did it get released this way? Did I mention that the world is laden with juicy barrels and boxes that you can't smash?

The world is dauntingly large, and Sauced and I both found this really exciting, but just because the map is big doesn't mean you can actually access all of it. I suspect some of it is just for show, but maybe I'll be wrong.

But is it fun? Okay, it is a little fun, but only because I always wanted to play a big-world RPG on my couch in co-op mode with Sauced. Buy Borrow it.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 01:45:30 PM by voodoolily »

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 10:18:42 AM

Heh, first time reading schildy's Rules of Engagement. Moved image to separate comment.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 10:25:11 AM

The world of Sacred 2 is absolutely overwhelmingly massive. And, yea, half the stuff can't be broken. It drives me batty.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 10:30:11 AM

It's like, why have a world with barrels and then give me a sword? It's cruel.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 11:09:24 AM

Your little person put her shirt on wrong.  Doesn't go on the head.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 11:52:08 AM

Don't even get me started on the female characters' center-of-gravity altering tittehs.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 12:08:13 PM

No, the fashion crisis is troubling enough.  ACK!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 02:44:49 PM

Can anyone compare this version to the PC version?  I've had my eye on the PC one since launch, but it's never once wavered from the $50 price point.  I generally don't spend that on ~70% rating games. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 02:46:09 PM

Can anyone compare this version to the PC version?  I've had my eye on the PC one since launch, but it's never once wavered from the $50 price point.  I generally don't spend that on ~70% rating games. 

If you can get over the fact that the world design is more like an MMORPG (as in huge, mostly lifeless, set up with shitloads of quest hubs, and has varying degrees of bad scaling), it's not bad. The whole thing is just overwhelming to me for some reason on PC. It's pure sensory overload. It's probably better played on a console.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 04:07:52 PM

Yeah, if it were on a PC I'd just as soon play an MMORPG.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 04:19:16 PM

Yeah, if it were on a PC I'd just as soon play an MMORPG.
MMORPGs don't do loot like this, hence the appeal. But if they did, the MMORPG would probably be called "Tooltip Online."

This game needs less tooltips.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 05:20:51 PM

Not sure I have a desire to play anything like this, but I may one day. If I recall, you can get that marvel game on ps3 as well VDL. It's sort of hack and slash diabloish, with plenty of inanimate objects to destroy. Not as pretty as this, but fun enough in co op.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 06:20:50 PM

I got the pc demo and only the background graphics show with my soundcard....

They claim this is creative's fault and not theirs.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 06:30:33 PM

What happens when you remove the sc from the system?  Your MB should have stock audio. 

If you wanted to go that far with it, of course. 
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 05:40:45 AM

So it's a console game with a PC port?  Or the other way?  I need to know so I can get the right one from a UI/control perspective.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 05:55:38 AM

The PC version was released late last year to a ~75% metacritic score.  Seems as if people liked it here at F13, but nobody said it was robot jesus. 

I know a few bashed it a bit for it's clunky camera when it launched.  I don't know if the console is a port or if it was built ground-up. 

I'm trying to talk the budget committee into a PS3 purchase this summer, so I might hold off on picking it up for PC until I know if she'll approve. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 09:00:47 AM

The whole thing is just overwhelming to me for some reason on PC. It's pure sensory overload. It's probably better played on a console.
What does that even mean?

Also waiting for a price drop on the PC version.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 09:04:04 AM

The whole thing is just overwhelming to me for some reason on PC. It's pure sensory overload. It's probably better played on a console.
What does that even mean?

Also waiting for a price drop on the PC version.
Since you've never played it, it probably doesn't make sense. But the game is tooltip city. And your guy (or girl) is like always saying something snarky. And god, the music will never ever feel right. It's all just too much.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 09:33:02 AM

Sounds like I want that on a small screen with crap speakers, then.  Besides I'm leery of the controller mapping.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 11:22:37 AM

Since you've never played it, it probably doesn't make sense. But the game is tooltip city. And your guy (or girl) is like always saying something snarky. And god, the music will never ever feel right. It's all just too much.
I'll give you the tooltips, though there are times tooltips make sense and a console would handle it differently.

But the audio would be the same, no?
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 02:09:45 PM

Smashable barrels are fun in single player action rpgs.  But it's massively frustrating in multiplayer on a shared screen.  So I say good for them.

Annoying that you can only do local co-op in offline.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 03:57:02 PM

The game isn't strictly multi-player though, so it's frustrating.  swamp poop

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 05:54:50 PM

Character set-up for co-op mode is buggy. It wouldn't let player 2 make a character, so player 1 had to create an additional character that sort of disappeared into the ethers when it came time to start (I ended up having to jump in after Sauced started playing). Boo, I say. This is apparently being worked on, but still. How did it get released this way? Did I mention that the world is laden with juicy barrels and boxes that you can't smash?

Are there more specifics or sources on this?  Also I've heard that online is only one player per console, there's no local co-op online.  True?  Not the end of the world, but... that's damn stupid and annoying.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 12:09:59 AM

I got the pc demo and only the background graphics show with my soundcard....

They claim this is creative's fault and not theirs.

They're probably right, Creative is a pretty terrible company in a lot of ways.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 07:02:09 AM

I went looking for this for 360 yesterday. EBgames was sold out (of the four copies they brought in). Gamestop guy looked at me, blinked, "We didn't get that one".

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 07:43:27 AM

They are apparently working on patches for multiplayer already.

Local online currently only supports one player.  Two players  must be in Offline mode.

And then it gets worse - in Offline 2-player mode, the 2nd player must be on a 2nd Profile on the console if they want to save their progress.  Otherwise they are a guest and have to roll a newb level 1 character each time.  The quest rewards are all specific to the Class of player 1, so player 2 has to get by on drops that they pick up, as you can not trade or drop items on the ground.
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 16, 2009, 02:06:17 AM

I picked up the 360 version on (re)launch day.

If you liked Sacred, you'll feel at home here. If not, well, don't bother. It's basically the same game in 3D (with the same camera issues that Dungeon Siege had). The world is massive. Character development is complex and deep. The 360 controller works extremely well in this game (I always thought the original Sacred had console control scheme written all over it).

I never did buy the PC version. SecureROM, don't you know. If Ascaron (assuming the the console launches pull their chestnuts out of their present financial fire...) ever gets around to pulling the DRM, I may snag a copy from the bargain bin in another year.

The downsides to the console as opposed to the PC are somewhat downgraded graphics (they're good, but S2 really does look bitchin' on a horse of a PC), no color coded loot (uses a PSU-style star rating), and the whole trading thing. Supposedly that's going to get patched, but with Ascaron's present financial woes I wouldn't hold my breath. Upside is the consoles have more slots for CAs, weapons, and combos. I ran the game both from the disk and installed to the 360 HD. Some loading times in towns from the disk. Not bad, but a bit intrusive. Playing from the HD minimizes that, but it never entirely disappears in towns.

Overall, I like the game a lot, but I was a big Sacred fan. S2 is better than the original, but it's still essentially the same game. If you like loot raining from the sky and just tearing up masses of enemies, it'll cure what ails you.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 08:09:58 AM

I picked this up for the 360 to play co-op with my daughter, who finds Diablo-ish dungeon crawls fun. The fact that we can't play co-op with two saved characters without having both of us signed in as Live IDs (we only have one family Live ID) is annoying as all hell. Also I'm confused about the camera: whenever there's two of us playing, it defaults suddenly to a high overhead view that's no fun and I can't get the camera to go back in.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 11:16:35 AM

Is it an onerous task to have multiple logins?  Well, on the PS3? Ohhhhh, I see.  I have three so that my wife and boy can play Little Big Planet with me.  The loot situation where it keys on player 1 is somewhat piss-poor, though.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #29 on: June 06, 2009, 03:24:01 PM

You can't trade items between characters while playing with your bud in the same room (PS3).

How epically fail.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #30 on: June 08, 2009, 10:51:25 AM

My dryad has a buff that increases the likelihood of shrunken heads dropping. Only the Dryad can use them. However, the Dryad is never allowed to pick them up. We have to hit L3 (to check the loot) and wait 30 seconds until the lock comes off so I can pick up the item THAT ONLY MY CLASS CAN USE. Sauced still ends up accidentally picking them up 90% of the time because his character is a melee fighter. Epic, epic fail.

Also, wtf is up with the Alchemy quest. It has each of our characters listed as having picked up a different number of the mana stones, even though we were in battle together when they were dropped. The dudes to kill for the last 1 or 2 mana stones never repawn, so we can never finish the quest. We've tried everything - returning at night to see if the enemy is time-of-day sensitive, straight-up camping the site, going into a dungeon and coming back out, nothing seems to work.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #31 on: June 08, 2009, 01:18:00 PM

This game is now off the purchase list.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 06:18:47 PM

Reading through this thread my questions were initially about how does the co-op work but are now more in line with Yegolev's comment.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #33 on: June 10, 2009, 07:55:31 AM

Its really sad because we were having a great time with it.

But when I get pretty much all the armor that only my bud's character can wear, and I can't trade it.

Well, it's a tad frustrating.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #34 on: June 10, 2009, 10:21:20 AM

I'm still holding out a lot of hope that some of these issues will be addressed, but I also wonder how the game got released with so many bugs (I took a peek at the list of bug fixes, and it was looooong). There doesn't seem to be a forum on the game's site for the PS3 version.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Sacred 2 - Ascaron - PS3  
Jump to: