Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:17:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL Playoffs '09 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL Playoffs '09  (Read 115335 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #595 on: July 02, 2009, 03:10:27 PM

12 years of losing the Finals. That will wear on any fanbase. Especially Chicago, where they know a long non-championship streak better than most.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #596 on: July 02, 2009, 03:10:50 PM

Which would be a problem because you'd be paying Hossa at age 42 a million bucks a year or whatever, but still experiencing the same hit against your cap.

Luckily, there's a rule in the CBA that says if a player who signs before 35 retires or otherwise leaves the league AFTER 35, his cap hit comes off the books.

Long term contracts with massive dollars up front and tiny payments at the end that the player doesn't intend on collecting both allow for overpayments to players and minimizing of a cap hit. Detroit started it, it's basically cheating the salary cap.

A bigger WTF moment for me was Scuderi getting 3.5 per for 4 years from LA. Congrats to the guy for cashing in and all, but this guy was up and down from the AHL a few seasons ago and he's 31. He's a valuable defensive defenseman, sure, but 3.5 is redonkulous.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #597 on: July 02, 2009, 08:50:00 PM

But that didn't stop Flyers from nabbing Chris Pronger and not addressing their goaltending needs…

Biron was not consistent enough to cut it, and there were no FA goalies on the market that were a significant upgrade. Besides, look at someone like DET: Osgood isn't super great, but wins championships because of the guys in front of him. Also, Emery has been to the finals before.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: July 02, 2009, 09:58:07 PM

You still have Niitymaki behind Emery, right?

If so, you should be fine. Maybe.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: July 03, 2009, 02:57:45 PM

A bigger WTF moment for me was Scuderi getting 3.5 per for 4 years from LA. Congrats to the guy for cashing in and all, but this guy was up and down from the AHL a few seasons ago and he's 31. He's a valuable defensive defenseman, sure, but 3.5 is redonkulous.

Scuderi had a helluva post-season, probably playing his best hockey ever, but /agree, he strikes me as Orpik all over again, as Orpik excelled in 2007-2008 post-season but was a big letdown in 2008-2009.

Gill departed for Canadians at ~2.25M per season (2 year deal) — Gill been dependable for Pens, but certainly not the hulking backstop they thought they were getting. But that price doesn't seem that unreasonable for the only crease clearing presence Penguins seem to have on the roster. Still, he's far from irreplaceable.

Delighted that Penguins retained Fedotenko for another year.

Red Wings lose Samuelsson along with Hossa, but I think they have the depth to compensate. Bigger questions for them are the aging Lindstrom and Stuart who needs to recover from his dismal D-man performance v. Pens.

Khabibulin wastes no time making way to Oilers, he must not have liked his teammates/management there much. He's well traveled now…

Emery? Really. One season wonder. He could catch fire again but we'll see…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Strazos

Reply #600 on: July 03, 2009, 03:55:26 PM

Again, considering the Flyers' cap situation (especially with Jones' and Carle's horrendous contracts), what other option was there?

Next summer is going to suck HARD, as Coburn is up for RFA (if not UFA). The guy is making a pittance right now.

And no, Nitty has wanted to return home to Finland for awhile, so the Flyers brough Boucher back. Heh, I'm sort of indifferent to it, though I'll miss the guaranteed points against ATL.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #601 on: July 03, 2009, 11:30:38 PM

Oh.

Emery and Boucher.

Good luck with that. ><

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: July 06, 2009, 10:16:20 AM

Quick thoughts about the offseason "makeover" for the Habs.

• The Montreal media and front office driving Koivu out of town is shameless, classless. Fuck Montreal, tbh.
  • The "makeover" is the dumbest fuck set of moves I've ever seen. NOBODY was going to give fucking Cammalleri $6m per. Taking Gomez's $7.6m 16 goal ass was... nothing short of a joke. The Rangers should have had to give first round picks to get RID of that contract. But they got solid players, prospects AND cap space to improve their lineup for the privilege. Essentially NYR traded Gomez for Gaborik, Higgins, McDonagh, Valentenko. What the fuck.
  • Kovalev gone as well. Fine, pick up Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri etc.. but make it steps forward.
  • Koivu, Kovalev, Higgins, Komisarek vs. Gomez, Cammalleri, Gionta, Gill? I don't know dude. The four pickups are supremely over rated and that'll figured out pretty fast by the montreal fans and media.
  • Montreal is now possibly the smallest fucking team in the entire league at forward. Very possibly the most overrated/overpaid, too.
  • All of the above means Gainey is gone this season. He'll be lucky if they don't chase him out of town with pitchforks by December, frankly.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: July 06, 2009, 03:27:27 PM

Leafs now sign Beauchemin in addition to Komisarek.

They sure know how to reliably lock down 11th spot.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #604 on: July 06, 2009, 06:00:29 PM

Consider that what was probably Gomez & Gionta's best season was the year they were the top guys in Jersey without Elias around.  They have proven chemistry together.
Strazos

Reply #605 on: July 06, 2009, 08:19:02 PM

Wow, wtf is going on up there?

Fear the Backstab!
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: July 07, 2009, 12:29:29 AM

It's quite a scene, man. I've tried explaining how utterly fucking stupid their respective management teams are to Toronto and Montreal fans, but they'll hear none of it. These moves are the greatest ever and both teams will be challenging for the Cup, etc.

It'll take about... three months and one month respectively before every single one of those fans turns on their team.

And it says ever so much about the average sports fan that they had absolutely no ability to see any of it coming.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: July 07, 2009, 09:24:11 AM

Leafs now sign Beauchemin in addition to Komisarek.

They sure know how to reliably lock down 11th spot.

Are you kidding? That is going to be one of the most difficult blue lines to play against in the league.

Kaberle-Komisarek
Beauchemin-Schenn
Exelby-White
With Jeff Finger, Mike Van Ryn and Anton Strahlman as extras.

Where the Leafs are hurting is up front now.  But I doubt they're done.  Even if they can't score to save their lives this year they've got a defense corps to carry them a few years.  On top of that they get a legitimate heavyweight back into their lineup.

I'm envious of what they've done.  My team has been a disaster. Fucking Alexei Kovalev; wonder how the Senators can get even softer and more dysfunctional.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:31:19 AM by Special J »
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #608 on: July 07, 2009, 12:38:24 PM

The Leafs signed Komisarek and Beauchemin.

Plan the parade.

Oh and Colton Orr.

Plan it.

Maybe Jiri "The Wang" Tlusty will erupt for 50 this season.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: July 07, 2009, 01:56:50 PM

In other news, Joe Sakic retires.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283991

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #610 on: July 07, 2009, 02:24:13 PM

The Leafs signed Komisarek and Beauchemin.

Plan the parade.

Oh and Colton Orr.

Plan it.

Weak.  The whole "Ho. Ho. Plan the parade" line is a little tired.  And I revel in all their failures.

Their defense is one of the best in the Conference now.  If they can manage to improve their offense they challenge for the playoffs again.  They were a soft, easy 2 points before, that's not the case now.

Those were 2nd and 3rd best defensemen available at free agency and they're the type that will actually help you win games instead the usual crop of expensive pretenders. 
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #611 on: July 08, 2009, 02:05:24 AM

Well, we'll see.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
WayAbvPar

Reply #612 on: July 09, 2009, 10:44:00 AM

In other news, Joe Sakic retires.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283991

I always liked Joe, but I am glad he won't be lighting up the Canucks any more.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: July 09, 2009, 04:32:21 PM

The Leaf Victory Parade will be glorious, we've been planning it for 40 years now!  awesome, for real

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #614 on: July 09, 2009, 07:48:39 PM

Didn't you already have one in '93?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #615 on: July 22, 2009, 05:25:06 PM

Didn't we discuss Pratt & Taylor at one point in a hockey thread?

I tuned in today. Hilarious. ALL Pratt does is demonstrate his penis envy toward Toronto. That's all he does. He figures out how to talk about Toronto for easily half of the show. If there's a golf tournament in Toronto, he'll bitch about it because it's not in Whistler. He's probably quite sore that the Blue Jays and Maple Leafs don't play 90 games in Vancouver, etc.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
WayAbvPar

Reply #616 on: July 22, 2009, 05:44:40 PM

They should be bitching about the rape the Canucks took in the scheduling department thanks to the Olympics. 14 game road trips are cruel and unusual.

Strazos

Reply #617 on: July 23, 2009, 04:20:19 PM

So Biron signs a 1 year deal for chump change with the Islanders....lol.

Fear the Backstab!
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #618 on: July 23, 2009, 05:37:08 PM

The biggest lol there is that it's pretty clear DiPietro isn't playing this season.

Or, like, maybe ever.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Strazos

Reply #619 on: July 23, 2009, 06:17:59 PM

I don't even remember how he got hurt last year. Did it look That Bad?

Fear the Backstab!
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #620 on: July 23, 2009, 06:28:44 PM

Well, I think he had a couple concussions. Then his knee and his hip. Then surgeries, and post-concussion syndrome. Etc.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #621 on: July 24, 2009, 08:05:39 AM

They should be bitching about the rape the Canucks took in the scheduling department thanks to the Olympics. 14 game road trips are cruel and unusual.

Actually, Canucks management is happy with the schedule. They new they would get stuck with a long road trip around the Olympics, but all of their roadtrips this year make sense time zone wise. Last year they had one trip that went NY, NY, Minnesota, Pittsburg in six days. apparently this schedule has no crazy cross time zone jumps during any of the road trips, which is what they asked for.

As for Pratt - yes, his hatred of all things Toronto is unparalleled (and sometimes valid).

I don't know if I'd want to see a Montreal style housecleaning out here, but all the changes for the Canucks so far add up to: Sundin replaced by Samuelsson, lost Ohlund.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #622 on: July 24, 2009, 10:52:21 AM

Bah. You were in the second round last year and nobody would have been surprised whatsoever if you ended up in the WCF.

Montreal's housecleaning is going to suck out loud for them. I still can't believe someone actually allowed Sather to unload that contract of Gomez's onto them.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL Playoffs '09  
Jump to: