Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:39:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL Playoffs '09 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL Playoffs '09  (Read 116274 times)
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: June 09, 2009, 07:40:38 PM

Fuck, Osgood has played well.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: June 09, 2009, 07:41:42 PM

PING!

Hal "The Thrill" Gill strikes again.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #527 on: June 09, 2009, 08:36:08 PM

Heh. Didn't know that that many people could fit into a crease.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: June 09, 2009, 08:37:03 PM

Give Scuderi some pads and put him in net.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: June 09, 2009, 08:37:40 PM

Awwwww yeah. Game 7 for Lord Stanley's. Gotta love it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #530 on: June 09, 2009, 08:38:25 PM

Failed break away and Fleury's damn arm cut Detroit from tying it up in the last couple minutes.

Time to win it at home, I guess. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: June 09, 2009, 08:41:15 PM

That was a great hockey game. Game 7 - wouldn't want it any other way.  I know it favours Detroit, but it's down to one game.  Anyone can win one game.

Respect the legends, I always say. Forcing Lange out to radio in favour of that hack Steigerwald was a damn shame and an awful move by Fox.

I was on the move tonight so I picked up Lange over XM between access to TVs.  He's solid.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: June 09, 2009, 08:46:53 PM

Two late powerplays and I was shitting my drawers the entire time.

I was quite convinced that they were going to tie it up on the second powerplay. I was happy to escape the first.

Going to a seventh game is epic. I don't know what it is about home ice this series, though. I'm not entirely optimistic about Pittsburgh's chances.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #533 on: June 09, 2009, 09:38:28 PM

So I get my wish after all, and I was an empty netter away from getting the score right.

Detroit wins, 4-2 at home btw.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: June 09, 2009, 09:54:46 PM

I can't find the CBC intro for tonight's game. I'll post the youtube link if I can find it later. Epic, though. Totally awesome.

Too bad the level of epicness was taken down about ten notches as soon as Jim Hughson started talking.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: June 09, 2009, 11:03:59 PM

Two late powerplays and I was shitting my drawers the entire time.

I was quite convinced that they were going to tie it up on the second powerplay. I was happy to escape the first.

Going to a seventh game is epic. I don't know what it is about home ice this series, though. I'm not entirely optimistic about Pittsburgh's chances.

The one on Guerin was a bullshit call — Detroit skater should have been whistled for a dive — watch the replay.

The call on Malkin too was questionable, not that it was not a legitimate penalty, just that I watch Kronwall commit the same act (or blatantly interfere with forward, or throw an elbow…) every single shift he's on the ice…

But Pens beat Wings at their own Brian Sutter bullshit clutch & grab game, even if Babcock is performing some kind of services for McCreary…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: June 09, 2009, 11:34:28 PM

I think it's been known that Babcock has been babbing on McCreary's cock for some time. Not the point.

You can call any of the penalties last night bullshit if you want. Penguins adapted, Penguins won. No one in particular benefited from the powerplays (although I'd trade first period powerplays for third period powerplays anytime, and if the Penguins got third period powerplays people would be shitting their pants and screaming conspiracy,  but whatever).

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #537 on: June 10, 2009, 06:39:26 AM

Come on guys, please don't say that was called Detroit's way last night. Seriously, I'd lose some respect for y'all (not that you Pen's fans give a fuck but hey)

If anything, it was called pretty decent compared to the last 5.

Game 7 in Detroit....Fuckin' A! Should be awesome.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #538 on: June 10, 2009, 07:13:26 AM

I can't find the CBC intro for tonight's game. I'll post the youtube link if I can find it later. Epic, though. Totally awesome.

Too bad the level of epicness was taken down about ten notches as soon as Jim Hughson started talking.

Are you hating on Jim Hughson?!  ACK!

I know Cole was a classic, but come on. Did you really want to watch a final with: "And there goes Crosby, and he's got the puck, and... ... ... Lebda has the puck"

Shit, some of those games this year - there'd be a three shot flurry ending up with the puck sitting on the goal line before a miraculous save - and Cole would say "there's a shot". Unless of course it was the Leafs...

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: June 10, 2009, 09:08:42 AM

If anything, it was called pretty decent compared to the last 5.

No.

Officiating was just as dreadful in game #6…

Penguins skaters (Orpik, Staal) have scars on their faces from being slashed/high sticked w/ no call yet Guerin gets whistled for a phantom high stick (+ Red Wing skater dive)…

Babcock is working the refs a lot more than Blysma, who's too soft spoken…

Not disputing the 3rd period Malkin penalty, but again, I see Kronwall do the same thing (or throw an elbow, or blatantly interfere) EVERY shift…

In game #6 I see the Penguins laying the body (yes, sometimes going in high) but I don't see them clutching, holding, grabbing, holding the stick, etc.… like the Red Wings…

On twitter, Wings fans think Scuderi should have been called for gloving the puck in the crease, but I watched that replay at least a half-dozen times and there's no definitive evidence of that…

Hopefully Friday night, Fleury brings his A game, Pens continue to play like game #6 and prevail despite the immense deviation of how the game has been called in the finals, compared to the 1st 3 rounds of the post-season…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: June 10, 2009, 09:57:49 AM

We got called on a horrible interference call in the first, and saw some other questionable shit. I just don't focus so much on that side of the game and actually like watching the play. You guys need to stop your fuckin' crying. Detroit has had to deal with one sided officiating for the last two years. Go somewhere else with your bullshit, cause I ain't buying. :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: June 10, 2009, 11:40:02 AM

Bylsma doesn't work the refs, I'm assuming, because he thinks that it'll create mutual respect and the refs will appreciate it, etc. He wrote a couple books on hockey and coaching and such, so I'm assuming he's overthought the situation to that degree.

Problem is that the referees in the NHL are universally about as smart as a fucking lamp post and ARE manipulated QUITE effectively by post-game and media bitching. Screaming from the bench very often buys makeup calls, etc.

Also yes, I AM hating on Jim Hughson. His epic call at the end of the game last night sent shivers down your spine, did it?

"Pittsburgh wins.

Pittsburgh wins."

Oh, fuck, thanks Jim. Well, that's good I guess.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: June 10, 2009, 08:15:23 PM

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #543 on: June 11, 2009, 07:58:49 PM

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: June 11, 2009, 10:06:59 PM

All the Caps fans jumped on the Octopus wagon I see…

Either people are sick of Red Wings winning the Cup or Penguins have a lot of fans nationwide…

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: June 11, 2009, 10:10:07 PM

Hey. They have Maryland.

Don't you forget Maryland.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #546 on: June 11, 2009, 10:25:43 PM

Looks like a bunch of pissed WSH fans.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #547 on: June 11, 2009, 10:31:04 PM

I'm ok either way. I don't really like either team and they both piss me off. I'm probably leaning towards the Wings just because I think they are better.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: June 11, 2009, 10:35:06 PM

Either people are sick of Red Wings winning the Cup or Penguins have a lot of fans nationwide…

High flying offensive hockey with two of the three best players in the world and a cast of enthusiastic kids versus hook 'em, hold 'em, interference-as-a-system 1-2-2 trapping bullshit that was supposed to be abolished half a decade ago... I'd say you have a combination of both.

Funny how obvious it is that most of the Crosby hating comes from Canada. There are plenty of people up here on the Red Wings bandwagon for purely that reason.

I wonder if they'll be cheering when he puts on a Canadian jersey this winter.

Give him to the Swedes, I'm sure they'll say.  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:37:34 PM by Azaroth »

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: June 12, 2009, 08:32:07 AM

Funny how obvious it is that most of the Crosby hating comes from Canada. There are plenty of people up here on the Red Wings bandwagon for purely that reason.

We eat our own for some reason I'll never understand.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: June 12, 2009, 11:07:04 AM

We eat our own for some reason I'll never understand.

Is there any backlash because he played QMJHL?

Lots of guys I skated with, especially those from western Canada (though certainly Ontario too) incessantly bashed the French, often laced with racial epitaphs from "Pepsi" to "Frog". One of my ex-coaches (from rural BC) once smashed a bug and exclaimed "look, a Frenchman…" in a mocking voice…

I always assumed the "China Doll" Mario bashing was due in part to some of that factor… …where Gretzky is a TRUE Canadian…

And I didn't even mention the xenophobic Don Cherry ravings…

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: June 12, 2009, 12:43:42 PM

What you need to learn about Vancouver/BC is that the people there hate everyone else in Canada. Basically, their hate intensifies every time you cross a border, as far as I can understand.

I'm sure it has something to do with living in a place that could be called Seattle's rainy sister.

There's a little Quebec hate anywhere you go, though. It's certainly not why people hate on Crosby.

Want a secret?

Either the media intentionally set him up as the villian, or the media is stupid. Pretty easy to give them the benefit of the doubt and go with the latter.

If you watched the sports news up here (including internet stuff), you'll notice that while Sid started out as a huge media darling, headlines and general tone toward him soured significantly during his second season. He'd literally get headlines like "No Whining!" with a picture of him being bodychecked, etc. This was the point where the media set up camp outside their new darling's house (AO), and began to gently tonguewash his jockstrap in a loving fashion.

Of course, the mushheaded fans went along with the tone that the media was taking step for step. Most of them can't give you a valid reason as to why they hate Sid, they "just do" kind of thing. He's a whiner and I'm sure he smells funny, etc.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: June 12, 2009, 02:12:07 PM

High flying offensive hockey with two of the three best players in the world and a cast of enthusiastic kids versus hook 'em, hold 'em, interference-as-a-system 1-2-2 trapping bullshit that was supposed to be abolished half a decade ago... I'd say you have a combination of both.

Yeah, trolling again I see.

Not going to say much besides may the best TEAM win, and they will. This is, after all, hockey. Your two guys won't beat our 4 lines in the end. Can't wait to see it though.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: June 12, 2009, 02:24:51 PM

Well, we've done it at a rate of 50% so far in this series.

Should be interesting, nonetheless.

I'd say I hope the reffing isn't awful and doesn't come into play, but it's the NHL and that's clearly too much to ask.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: June 12, 2009, 07:06:51 PM

Pens draw first blood.  Detroit constantly tries to clear the puck from behind the goal line towards the middle for some reason I'll never understand.

-H.L. Mencken
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: June 12, 2009, 07:17:11 PM

Worst refereeing I've EVER seen.

Crosby out of the game on a blatant interference and knee on knee.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: June 12, 2009, 07:27:12 PM

Talbot is everywhere and it pays off.

-H.L. Mencken
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: June 12, 2009, 07:45:24 PM

This is gonna be some 20 minutes of hockey.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: June 12, 2009, 08:35:41 PM

GREAT last second save by Fleury.

-H.L. Mencken
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #559 on: June 12, 2009, 08:36:38 PM

Even in the end, thought DET might pull it out. Fleury made the saves he had to make, even though DET dominated the 3rd and probably most of the game.

AND Hossa loses back-to-back finals.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL Playoffs '09  
Jump to: