Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:13:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Tom Clancy's HAWX -Ubisoft- PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tom Clancy's HAWX -Ubisoft- PC  (Read 6041 times)
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

on: April 04, 2009, 05:20:29 AM

If you want to experience Top Gun gaming experience, this is it. Flying in the universe of 2012 (3 years from now) where Private Military Corporation has enough power to subdue South American nations is an explosive arcade experience. I know the moment I saw that payload for my F-18 feature 150 (Yes, Hundred Fifty) standard missiles, 40 cluster bombs that HAWX is never going to be realistic. Heck they won't even start the mission from take-off / landing. Everything starts in-flight. The default cam is Tail-Cam but you can switch to the cockpit view if you wish.

The Hollywood experience definitely reminds me of X-Wing Rogue Squadron from LucasArts that I used to play. A somewhat open map and objectives continually pop up during flight. I have issues with planes that spawn out of thin air at times, but generally HAWX tries to hide that with a cutscene or 'They flew in from the border'

Flight controls are somewhat playable with a keyboard, but I use a gamepad just to be more comfortable. Flight options include ERS (Enhanced Reality System) where the HUD will plot a path for you to travel through depending on when you trigger it. It can be used to evade a missile (ERS guide you to safety) or intercept a target (ERS guide you to their tail). Another option is the 'Flight Assistance off' mode where you can brake your craft to perform 'drift maneuvers' that may stall your engine. It's pretty nice to look at but the camera angle is horrible and can't be modified which leaves you with a bad sense of direction during dogfights. At least the whole map and explosion is pretty good to look at and runs well on my 8600GT.

Assistance off cam view. UNHELPFUL.

HAWX boasts 50 planes to pilot with a retarded qualification system that determines what craft you can pilot and what armaments you can put on it. You gain EXP from each kills and mission complete (See where I'm going with this?) Oh yes baby, there's 40 ranks to earn and it was pretty fast to get to rank 20 after a week of playthrough but after that expect a fucking korean diku in airplanes. I did one mission on rank 20 and earned about 5-6% exp bar from a mission. There isn't many mission variety (the campaign feature 20), and online dogfight/co-op doesn't feature new maps. It does get old pretty fast, so what is the point of holding back the content with these exp restrictions? I don't fucking know.

Try the demo. The Co-Op is quite fun with friends.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 05:24:17 AM by rk47 »

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:06:43 AM

IMHO, Ace Combat is better, only because it doesn't restrict high-G moves to a mode that has a terrible camera. This game is definitely pretty, though.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:18:23 AM

Thanks for the review, rk47. I was thinking about this game, and watched a few youtube gameplay videos. Its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too twitch for me, I think.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 05:00:42 PM

Yes, thanks for the review. Ii looked like it might be something for me, briefly, until you mentioned the massive xp grind.  ACK!

No sale!

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 11:42:09 PM

Fuck it, if it's fun. I don't mind grinds if the games are fun. Lots of fun JRPG's and racing games like that. In this case, dogfighting is my favorite thing to do in games, besides racing. Too bad there's so few of them. I'm on like a 15 year jones for the true successor to the Wing Commander series.. But I'll take jets for now.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 04:08:11 PM

Yeah, I don't know if it will be fun, and even if it is, I won't grind like a mofo, so it'll end up in the "finished the campaign, fuck 100%ing it pile". I'll d/l the demo when I get a chance. This might be a bargain-binner for me though.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 04:48:14 PM

but after that expect a fucking korean diku in airplanes.

I wish people would stop doing this. The use of the word "Diku" as a pejorative has been a persistent bad habit here since I started posting, but increasingly the use makes less and less sense. We get it, some games have grindy aspects, but the applications of this phrase go far beyond this particular reference. I swear this trend needs to go the way of green and die a quiet death.

/rant

Great BIIF otherwise, I was looking at this because I haven't played a fun flying game in ages, guess I'll have to keep waiting. Extra points for the pictures.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 07:16:59 AM

Oh there is also a voice command feature I just discovered today. Nothing much but it saves up more precious buttons on my gamepad. Basically you can shout on your microphone to engage several functions like:

ENGAGE: Tells wingman to engage
COVER: Wingman will cover you
ERS: Turns on ERS

But i'm confused why there isn't a voice chat available in this game. Although there's a voice command to fire missiles I wouldn't use them, it lags by 1 second or more making it unreliable. Imagine shouting FLARE FLARE FLARE before realizing that the keyword's actually 'DECOY' LOL

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 04:24:29 PM

Every time I see this on the front page I read it "Tom Clancy's TONY HAWK X".

Every time.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 11:59:48 PM

There's a front page?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 10:48:54 PM

Oh there is also a voice command feature I just discovered today. Nothing much but it saves up more precious buttons on my gamepad. Basically you can shout on your microphone to engage several functions like:

ENGAGE: Tells wingman to engage
COVER: Wingman will cover you
ERS: Turns on ERS

But i'm confused why there isn't a voice chat available in this game. Although there's a voice command to fire missiles I wouldn't use them, it lags by 1 second or more making it unreliable. Imagine shouting FLARE FLARE FLARE before realizing that the keyword's actually 'DECOY' LOL

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 12:45:00 PM

Voice Commands for squad level tactics is the preferred input level for me. I don't like using a game pad or other touch device to give orders. I want to GIVE ORDERS.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Tom Clancy's HAWX -Ubisoft- PC  
Jump to: