Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: For the 3 of you still playing. (1.2.1) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: For the 3 of you still playing. (1.2.1)  (Read 81799 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 02:35:34 PM

I am one of those players who cant help but min/max to some degree. What I want to do is RVR n an even playing field. While leveling up, the RVR is never even due to the level spread, even with the level boost, some one who is level 12 will have no chance at killing a level 21. I enjoy the RVR, and I just want to be max rank so I can focus on RVR and not think that I should be grinding a PQ for faster exp. Also, I love alts. But with the grind, its a horrible thought trying to level up multiple characters.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 09:05:30 PM

Yeah everyone says the game sucks past the first two tiers so lowering the grind would have the consequence of people getting there and seeing how awful it is and quitting.  My feeling is still that were I able to raise a character through the shitty scenarios and PvE in this game at a reasonable rate and find myself at the endgame being bored, I could still play alts at every tier.  Hell it'd probably entertain me for 3-4 months before I canceled, rather than 3-4 weeks before I cancel because I get pissed off at the monotonous grind.  Maybe they're right.  I personally don't think so.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: April 02, 2009, 05:57:29 AM

Or they could just, you know, fix the hideous xp problems AND make the endgame work. This isn't some either/or proposition. Although I do agree that the first two tiers are a blast but, again, if they weren't as much fun as they are (proving Mythic can make something fun) this place wouldn't have nearly the venom it does.

See, at some point EA's going to knock some heads. Watch when that happens because they'll pull some dude in who has a little more of a clue (not because he'll be a genius but because how could you have less?) and that xp grind will get cut. May not make shit work at the end but at least there will be a feeling of momentum.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 02, 2009, 06:16:33 AM

Look at MMO history.  It took DAoC 4 years to remove the grind.  It took EQ longer.  It even took WoW a while to change their xp from 1-60 (over a year, maybe two?). 

I'm not optimistic that the XP will change much in the near future.  Sadly, it's just a small part of the problem. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 06:27:12 AM

WoW 1-60 wasn't grindy by the standards of four years ago at all. The other two games you named came out pre-WoW. Someone will come along, look at the insides of that company, compare it to his or her experience in WoW and go straight what the fuck.

I got morbidly curious since I got the ten free day thing and installed it last night; and no, they're not getting a dime from me while Barnett's on board. I haven't played much, hour or so all told, but not a single scenario has popped. On Volkmar, one of the biggest servers, and I'm an Orc. There are two other people in my level range in the Green starter zones. Even if this game became zombie robot Jesus with that population forcing scenarios to not pop they are fucked. Fucked fucked fucked.

On the plus side it runs a zillion times better and it remembers my font size when I log back in.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 08:54:34 AM

On Volkmar, one of the biggest servers, and I'm an Orc. There are two other people in my level range in the Green starter zones. Even if this game became zombie robot Jesus with that population forcing scenarios to not pop they are fucked. Fucked fucked fucked.

What odd is that playing on Phoenix Throne, there are tons and tons of lowbies. But the scenarios still dont pop very fast. You should head over the the Chaos t1 RVR area, there is usually like 15 to 40 people per side doing rvr there.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 02, 2009, 09:03:26 AM

I noticed that on my server as well.  There are tons of people running around the Tier 1 rvr lakes, but the scenarios take forever to pop.  I wonder if it has something to do with population imbalance.  Order has been attracting a lot of players and there may not be enough destro to fight them. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 02, 2009, 09:06:40 AM

If anything that means that Destruction should be having them pop all the time while Order is sitting out. I'm not certain if that's what's happening.

Also: Christ, wouldn't this game be a shit ton better if you could turn off your experience bar? How many people would've stuck around if they couldn't just played the parts they like?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 02, 2009, 09:10:39 AM

I've thought that too.  Having a ton of level 11 twinks in Tier I would make the game a lot less fun for the free trial folks.  I think turning off xp may be a bad idea in the first tier, especially for a game that desperately needs new people.

-  Mark Twain
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #44 on: April 02, 2009, 09:29:25 AM

If anything that means that Destruction should be having them pop all the time while Order is sitting out.

Thats what I would have thought also, but a lot of times, when they do pop, there is like only 7/10 players on destro side. I wonder if their queue mechanic is broken (Wouldnt surprise me) or if a lot of people just dont queue up.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #45 on: April 02, 2009, 09:30:37 AM

So, I hear AoC is pretty awesome rite nao.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 02, 2009, 09:31:07 AM

Give the queues a break.  They're 3 star queues with 5 star drive.

most often known as Drevik
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 02, 2009, 10:09:47 AM

Mythic has done various "stuff" to try to force players to play something other than Nordenwatch or "kill the guy with the thing", which hasn't done much other than occasionally dump players into scenarios where fire mysteriously erupts and kills them all or even worse, scenarios that are autowins for a side if they know where to run first.  They also at one point put in timers to not allow scenarios to pop instantly after one scenario ended, so if you have people signing up for murderball, and nothing else, you get 15 minute waits before the next murderball scenario has a chance to pop.  I'm not sure if this is still the case.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:11:19 AM by Soulflame »
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 02, 2009, 10:32:29 AM

Got some scenarios to pop. Bright Wizards are pretty much the only thing on Order. They smear us.

I will give Mythic some serious mad props on the performance/looks combo they've pulled off, though. It looks better and runs a zillion times better than it did. Night and day on performance so far.

See, I can say something good about them!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 02, 2009, 10:36:05 AM

I'm seeing 3 things in scenarios: BW's, WP's, and slayers.  Especially in the lower tiers.  I've  seen entire guilds reroll their groups to BW's and a WP or two.  Maybe the recent changes to AM's will change things.  A week or so you saw a bunch of chosen out because they gave them a riciulous attack and forgot to give it a cooldown. 

Typical MMO.  You know something is out of whack when you see a majority of those classes running about.  People seem to gravitate toward easy-mode.

-  Mark Twain
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #50 on: April 02, 2009, 10:43:54 AM

People seem to gravitate toward easy-mode.
In this case I'd say that they're migrating towards what will kick them in the balls the least.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 02, 2009, 10:46:30 AM

No, it really is awful. Terribly awfully broken. PBAEs should not do that much damage; stack them en masse and it's fucking horrible.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #52 on: April 02, 2009, 11:20:12 AM

Patch Notes in Spoiler tag, WARNING LONG.

Link here

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: April 02, 2009, 11:52:35 AM

Knee-jerk reaction:  Is that a WP BUFF?   ACK!

Now back to reading the rest of the wall of text.
schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: April 02, 2009, 11:53:30 AM

Wow, there's a laundry list of shit in there that probably was planned for launch.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 02, 2009, 11:56:00 AM

Wow, there's a laundry list of shit in there that probably was planned for launch.

Yeah... and none of it is going to save the slow decline of the game.  It's like putting rubber on square rims to make them roll better. 

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #56 on: April 02, 2009, 11:56:52 AM

No, it really is awful. Terribly awfully broken. PBAEs should not do that much damage; stack them en masse and it's fucking horrible.

Didn't Mythic already make this mistake with DAoC?  I can vividly remember my DAoC playing friends lamenting this when PBAOE spam was wiping out huge groups with little effort.

-Rasix
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: April 02, 2009, 12:00:15 PM

Didn't Mythic already make this mistake with DAoC? 

This question can be asked regarding a lot more then just the PBAE issue.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 02, 2009, 12:05:15 PM

Didn't Mythic already make this mistake with DAoC?  I can vividly remember my DAoC playing friends lamenting this when PBAOE spam was wiping out huge groups with little effort.

It was especially awesome when the PBAoE classes could obliterate everyone beating on keep doors in seconds while standing on the other side of the door.

Over and out.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 02, 2009, 12:06:38 PM

It was especially awesome when the PBAoE classes could obliterate everyone beating on keep doors in seconds while standing on the other side of the door.

The punchline: WAR has huge problems with pbae and ae going through walls all these years later.  Ahhh progress!

-  Mark Twain
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #60 on: April 02, 2009, 12:25:29 PM

Knee-jerk reaction:  Is that a WP BUFF?   ACK!

Now back to reading the rest of the wall of text.

No, its a nerf to Cleansing Power, instead of it proccing off any heal, it basically takes their single target dispel and makes it AE Group. So instead of it proccing on the AE heal, every time its cast, it procs on a spell thats already a dispel and that is on a 5 second cooldown. Big nerf to the ability, but it was really needed.

Chosen took a pretty big DPS nerf with Rending Blade getting a 5 second cooldown added. Since 1.2 broke all their other DPS abilities, now with RB getting nerfed, but none of the other stuff fixed, Chosen have no real viable RVR spec.

The AE changes are nice coming from a melee player. Basically, you can no longer stack AEs.

Shaman and Archmage got a lot of buffs.

The promised Marauder buffs where not included. Marauders are really pissed.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: April 02, 2009, 12:47:25 PM

It strikes me that this is the first group of patch notes since release that didn't send me screaming for the hills but none of it matters if the triumvirate of problems persists:

1) Ballbreaking grind
2) PvE required gear gateway
3) Population problems, whether imbalance or low general pop
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: April 02, 2009, 01:03:34 PM

I think the biggest issue is that the end game is crap. I leveled by pvp mostly and got to 33 only to find that T4 is just the same shit with way more cc that makes it stupid and a pve end game tacked on that I don't give a shit about. Reducing exp needed (which it does need) before doing something with the end game will just mean people figure out the end game is shit that much sooner. Oh and fuck the pve requirement for pvp gear.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #63 on: April 02, 2009, 01:06:43 PM

No one's gonna comment about how they're allowing rank 8's to pvp against rank 29's?
Yeah, that's a brilliant idea...

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: April 02, 2009, 01:35:51 PM

No one's gonna comment about how they're allowing rank 8's to pvp against rank 29's?

It isn't as bad as you think, actually.  If you're a premade with one person rerolling, they can both play with you in tier 2 and catch up faster.  Sure, you die super fast... but it allows you to play with friends which is a start in the right direction.  Keep in mind: having one person in your group doing nothing is still better than 90% of the pugs in a scenario. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 01:39:45 PM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: April 02, 2009, 01:42:01 PM

It isn't as bad as you think, actually.  If you're a premade with one person rerolling, they can both play with you in tier 2 and catch up faster.  Sure, you die super fast... but it allows you to play with friends which is a start in the right direction.  Keep in mind: having one person in your group doing nothing is still better than 90% of the pugs in a scenario. 

It also only during city sieges.

I am the .00000001428%
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 02, 2009, 01:46:13 PM

You can get into tier 2 scenarios at 8 I think as well... this allows you to play with friends up to level 21 in scenarios.

-  Mark Twain
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: April 02, 2009, 03:33:20 PM

Haha, fuck. I just remembered the travel times.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: April 02, 2009, 11:41:32 PM

Didn't Mythic already make this mistake with DAoC? 

This question can be asked regarding a lot more then just the PBAE issue.

WAR is making every mistake DaoC made and more or less in the same order, just on an accelerated time table.  awesome, for real

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: April 03, 2009, 12:30:30 AM

WAR is making every mistake DaoC made and more or less in the same order, just on an accelerated time table.  awesome, for real

If it keeps up at this rate, in a few months you'll actually get to witness the future of DaoC in WAR.

Namely when WAR gets shut down.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: For the 3 of you still playing. (1.2.1)  
Jump to: