Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:59:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Can someone get me up to speed on state of game? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can someone get me up to speed on state of game?  (Read 38566 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: April 15, 2009, 09:48:41 AM

So hows that new patch coming?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #71 on: April 15, 2009, 10:57:09 AM

Slow. Late May at best.

Xeyi
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: April 15, 2009, 12:20:18 PM

I re-subbed to this a few days ago over the Easter weekend and I've been really enjoying it.

When I played at launch I seemed to spend more of my time playing with the graphical settings trying to get a reasonable fps than playing the game, but although I'm still using exactly the same computer the performance increase has been pretty amazing.  Granted I don't have everything cranked to the absolute max but it remains at a fairly consistent 40fps+, even in busy areas.

Performance aside I'd forgotton quite how fun the melee system was after playing wow again for so long.  It feels more like a well made action game than an mmo in some places.

Some of my original niggles with game still remain though, like it being almost impossible to see if any loot dropped while grass is turned on in video options,some npcs not wanting to be clicked on and cast bar timers not tying up with actual spell casts sometimes.

Overall though I don't regret re-subbing at all so far.  Whether the game could hold my attention over the long term remains to be seen, I burned out at about level 60 last time but I hear there's a new zone for that level range now.  But even assuming I dont make it to max level again it's been well worth it.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: April 21, 2009, 02:00:09 PM

If you're on a PvP server be prepared to get ganked by Rangers. A lot. Out of all the classes, rangers will be the ones trying to gank you 90% of the time.

If you're really lucky you'll get ganked by rangers inside town, or by rangers on top of buildings, or by rangers on top of cliffs, or even by rangers who are standing right next to a guard who will attack YOU if you fight back, but not the ranger.

Also, stealth if you try to go AFK in a hut, in the middle of nowhere, around level 20 mobs. After a few minutes a maphacker skilled player that is 10+ levels higher MIGHT 'somehow' stumble upon you inside the hut and kill you.

Fun times  awesome, for real
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: April 21, 2009, 02:06:11 PM

If you're on a PvP server be prepared to get ganked by Rangers. A lot. Out of all the classes, rangers will be the ones trying to gank you 90% of the time.

If you're really lucky you'll get ganked by rangers inside town, or by rangers on top of buildings, or by rangers on top of cliffs, or even by rangers who are standing right next to a guard who will attack YOU if you fight back, but not the ranger.

Also, stealth if you try to go AFK in a hut, in the middle of nowhere, around level 20 mobs. After a few minutes a maphacker skilled player that is 10+ levels higher MIGHT 'somehow' stumble upon you inside the hut and kill you.

Fun times  awesome, for real

That's exactly the type of behavior that keeps me away from FFA PvP. I guess if I pick this up with the new patch, I'm definitely going to a PvE server. Probably Wiccana since I think that's where our f13 server got merged to.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #75 on: April 21, 2009, 03:02:19 PM

I aprove of wiccana, and again give the finger to FFA pvp servers all around.

Also, for the freaks that enjoy that sort of hogwash, it's the unofficial rp-pve server, something that I ended up finding out after a while.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: April 21, 2009, 04:35:33 PM

Yes, I'm on Wiccana.  I started MMOs on PvP servers.  But I'm just tired of facing loading screens these days.

However PvP is dead on PvE servers.  I guess that seems obvious, but from what I've seen it's not like WAR or WoW where if you play on PvE servers you can still engage in the PvP aspect as often as you want.  The minigames are dead as doornails (I've only tried them once, but I constantly see people spamming global for people to join the queue).

Sieges seem to be very active though.  And most of Wiccana's global chat devolves into people calling some guy named Iznok a fag whose shit is all retarded.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: April 21, 2009, 04:50:47 PM

did they ever get barroom brawls in?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: April 22, 2009, 12:12:12 AM

After a few minutes a maphacker

Heh. No maphacks. Just rangers with tracking. Or randoms with a ranger friend. Or randoms spamming search.

And no, no barroom brawls.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: April 22, 2009, 06:39:12 AM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: April 22, 2009, 01:55:02 PM

I know there are hacks. I am just saying most of the times that's now how they find you cause as I said there are so many other ways to find you without the need for a maphack.

Since you mentioned betting, I bet you'd call me a maphacker should we play on the same PvP server. And I am not a ranger.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: April 22, 2009, 03:03:55 PM

Since you mentioned betting, I bet you'd call me a maphacker should we play on the same PvP server. And I am not a ranger.
Is that because you are a maphacker? Grin

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #82 on: April 22, 2009, 03:12:45 PM

Falconeer: Do not try and hack the map. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
SnakeCharmer: What truth?
Falconeer: There is no map.
SnakeCharmer: There is no map?
Falconeer: Then you'll see, that it is not the map that is hacked, it is only yourself.

"Me am play gods"
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #83 on: April 23, 2009, 07:32:06 PM

Hrm, Wiccanna. Unnoficial PVE-RP. "Oh, but there is such good rp"
 Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:42:26 PM by Itto »

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: April 24, 2009, 05:07:11 AM

Hahaha!! Love this kind of stuff.

And always reminds me of the Ceciliantas affaire in EQ2, which is too good to be forgotten.

Short version:

Ceciliantas and Bobmarle are two guys who both play EverQuest 2 and had known each other for a while. Ceciliantas had been in Bobmarle's guild, but he wasn't well liked, and they kicked him out. Ceciliantas then held a grudge against his former guildmates, including Bobmarle. Because of the rules of the game, there isn't much that one player can do to hurt each other, so Ceciliantas proceeded to harass Bobmarle and his friends in the only way he could, which was to send rude text messages.

After a while, this got annoying, so Bobmarle started to plot revenge.

Meanwhile, Ceciliantas met a girl in the game called Evenstar and the two of them hooked up. They have never met in real life and they do not consider themselves to be boyfriend-girlfriend in real life, just in the game. Ceciliantas had rented a room in a local inn. This is normal: most characters in EverQuest 2 have some kind of house or room that they "live in", though some people choose not to have one to save money. By default, however, every new character starts off with an inn room. Also, the game is set up so that you can control who has permission to enter your room. You can change the settings at any time so that nobody except yourself can enter, anybody can enter, or you can make a specific list of people who are allowed to enter (and only those people on the list can). The default is that anyone who wants to can visit your room, because the way you buy and sell items in the game is that people come to your room to buy your wares. Ceciliantas never bothered or remembered to change those access settings, so anybody could enter his room at any time.

After a little while, Bobmarle hatched his plot. He talked a guildmate into creating a new female character named Allannah. Bobmarle then arranged it so that Ceciliantas and Allannah "bumped into each other" in the game.

As Bobmarle expected he would, Ceciliantas flirted with Allannah, and (because this was a set-up), Allannah flirted back and let herself be "seduced" by him. After he "successfully" seduced her, Ceciliantas invited Allannah to come to his room, and she accepted. Surgat, another member of Bobmarle's guild who was in on the plot, followed them. Because he is a member of the thief class, Surgat can move around stealthily, which is how he was able to sneak into the room and witness the proceedings without Ceciliantas noticing him.

Ceciliantas and Allannah then proceeded to have cybersex while Surgat recorded the event with screen captures and text logging. After it was over, Surgat provided Bobmarle with the screenshots, who then posted them to eq2permafrost.com and started the thread which later got a link from fark. What makes the story more funny is that Ceciliantas loudly denied cybering with Allannah (or anybody else). Because the thread was so popular, Evenstar, Ceciliantas' in-game girlfriend, found out about it and got on the thread to disown him (and breakup with him) just as he was blustering loudly about taking legal action against this "slander". And hilarity ensued.

Or the long version (with screens and original posts) http://www.thedauntless.com/cecil.html

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: April 24, 2009, 11:32:25 AM

Itto what mod is that you are using?
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #86 on: April 24, 2009, 11:35:32 AM

FuriAUI.

Should run ByCrom before using it, though.

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: April 24, 2009, 11:50:50 AM

Cool thank you.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: April 25, 2009, 04:25:40 PM

Another fun update:

I log into my 32 barb, who was logged out in the middle of town in zelata, and BEFORE I FINISH LOADING I'm killed by some necro.

Guards did nothing.

Boy, I can't imagine why open PvP servers never, in any game, ever work out.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #89 on: April 25, 2009, 04:42:26 PM

I am surprised that you were able to stomach it for 12 levels. Even with stealth being available to all classes, it is not enough.

Also, EvE.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: April 26, 2009, 07:18:35 AM

Can't state enough how irrilevant it is to die in Conan. The game is fast paced enough that even dying deep in a zone requires a few minutes to get back there. Unless you have issues with rage and being knocked out by other humans, what you gain on a PvP server widely surpasses what you "lose" by dying a lot.

Also, I could be wrong now, but last time I checked Age of Conan has more PvP servers than PvE.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #91 on: April 26, 2009, 07:38:25 AM

what you gain on a PvP server widely surpasses what you "lose" by dying a lot.
What do you gain, exactly?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: April 26, 2009, 11:51:37 AM

Fun.

Otherwise, do you know what Progressquest was and what was its point?

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #93 on: April 26, 2009, 02:12:39 PM

There was a point to Progressquest?
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #94 on: April 26, 2009, 02:33:55 PM

Fun.

It is present in my PvE server. Anything else?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: May 01, 2009, 10:44:43 AM

Apparently with the next patch you'll be able to create a level 50 character of any class as long as you have one character over level 50.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #96 on: May 01, 2009, 11:35:01 AM

Hm.

Do hope it isn't a one time deal, as he says.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:37:27 AM by Itto »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: May 01, 2009, 03:03:29 PM

Oh god damnit, they win.  I will resub for that.

I am the .00000001428%
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: May 02, 2009, 04:32:08 PM

Apparently with the next patch you'll be able to create a level 50 character of any class as long as you have one character over level 50.

Taking a half ass attempt at what guild wars did. Still impressive, funcom most be desperate if its willing to learn from a mmo that sold 6 million boxes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Can someone get me up to speed on state of game?  
Jump to: